Jay's Game : Ratsrific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay's Game - We Do Evil Right

Dave you want bracers to increase damage too! And we don't want you to have high AC, we want the monsters to hit you not us!

Next session, I'm trying to find ways to fit a lich into the storyline along with an epic Baldur's Gate like destiny somewhere in there. Hell, I'll even throw scorpion eggs in the mix. Dougan's Hole is now 200% more awesome!

.....Not really.

Dave

Staff member

Dave you want bracers to increase damage too! And we don't want you to have high AC, we want the monsters to hit you not us!
Whether they hit me or not is immaterial to you as they are using their combat action. To me, though, it makes a world of difference.

My wizard has a piece of Eternal Chalk and a ritual that requires him to draw runes that form a protective barrier against undead unless they are strong enough to overpower my massive Arcana check, or they disturb or obscure the runes. Eternal Chalk means that no one destroys the barrier without my permission.
I approve of your DM allowing you believe that Eternal Chalk works that way. Very evil of them.

And Dave, I was talking about the perceived contradiction of a hard to hit character acting alongside a lower AC class. The classic rogue/fighter scenario; does the mob strike the fighter with superior AC and ignore the massive damage output of the rogue, or does he go after the much easier to hit rogue and face moderate retribution from the fighter in return. I've always geared my fighters as defenders who make the choice to hit them very easy.

Dave

Staff member

My wizard has a piece of Eternal Chalk and a ritual that requires him to draw runes that form a protective barrier against undead unless they are strong enough to overpower my massive Arcana check, or they disturb or obscure the runes. Eternal Chalk means that no one destroys the barrier without my permission.
I approve of your DM allowing you believe that Eternal Chalk works that way. Very evil of them.

And Dave, I was talking about the perceived contradiction of a hard to hit character acting alongside a lower AC class. The classic rogue/fighter scenario; does the mob strike the fighter with superior AC and ignore the massive damage output of the rogue, or does he go after the much easier to hit rogue and face moderate retribution from the fighter in return. I've always geared my fighters as defenders who make the choice to hit them very easy.[/QUOTE]

But in 4e with the marking of the enemies, it becomes more strategic than just being a damage sponge. This is why I broke off the 1-on-1 I was in to attack the dude who was attacking the mage. I missed, but it still marked him and made him attack me instead.

Doesn't matter. I'm probably gonna die in the next round or so.

Will Ed die during the top of Round 7 in an epic battle in the mines of Dougan's Hole surrounded by the green blood of his enemies? Or will he survive and yell out Bazinga? Is this the end of Zutoh’s legendary journey? Will Richard master his psychotic abilities? And what about Melchor? Will he achieve his long term goals of world domination? Did Jack sing his last ballad?

Stay tuned for Wednesday, where this nameless company of “heroes” may or may not fight off these vile creatures and avoid being their next meal.

On a serious note, I have made a modification in the game. I have replaced the cleric with a new player who’ll be coming in to replace him with a Paladin.

I

insight

The half-elf known as Dathnor Illesarn stumbled meekly across the tundra and into Dougan's Hole. At first, the townsfolk dismissed Dathnor as another weary traveler; few cared enough to even look in his direction or flash a cursory smile.

Finally, once Dathnor had reached the front of the Hairy Lemon Tavern, the young traveler fell to his knees and there he stayed for some time.

A woman, a tailor, stopped to see Dathnor. "Young man," she said. "I've not seen you in town before. Are you new to Doughan's Hole?"

Dathnor took a moment to collect his thoughts. He barely understood this woman's strange accent and he was obviously a stranger in a strange land.

"I am called Dathnor Illesarn," he said. "I hail from the Nelanther Isles."

"You are a long way from home, young man."

Dathnor smiled and got to his feet.

"Do you travel alone?" she asked. "And in such clothing? You'll catch the death!"

Dathnor was indeed ill-prepared for his frosty journey. He looked down at a thin layer of clothing over his plate armor, then back to the woman. "Good lady, my caravan was attacked somewhere near here. Did you know that there are GIANTS about?"

The woman laughed. "Giants? Yes. Everyone knows they are about."

"I am the only survivor. It is only with Amauntor's grace that I made it this far."

The tailor ushered Dathnor inside the Hairy Lemon. It was mid-morning and the place was fairly deserted.

"Sit down here," she said. "I must be on my way, but Harry there will see to it that you are cared for."

The woman left and within moments, Harry, the tavern's proprietor, was over to see Dathnor.

"You look like you could use a stout ale, my friend."

Dathnor looked up at Harry. The young half-elf had been through quite a lot in his 25 years. For the past 6, he had served aboard the Viable, a merchant ship that had sailed the western coast of Faerun from the Nelanther Isles and finally landing at Luskan. From there, Dathnor led a merchant caravan across the Sword Coast, to Hindelstone and eventually toward the Ten Towns. It was when his caravan crossed the River Shaengare that the giants attacked.

"A few, perhaps," Dathnor replied.

Dathnor Illesarn spent the next few hours at the Hairy Lemon, getting a feel for the town of Dougan's Hole and its inhabitants. With no real compass at this point, the young half-elf had no plans and felt rather discouraged about braving the wilds outside. He drank and drank, spending nearly the last of his coin. With only 11 gold coins left in his purse, Dathnor plopped one down for a room and spent the night, hoping that the next day's light and Amauntor's grace would show him the way.

Jay's Game : Spice up your life with Carrion Crawlers

Everything looks fine. I'll catch up with you tonight to work out the details.

This thread now has a new and exciting topic title. :D

I

insight

It's not going to make the Bard player mad if Dathnor multiclasses into Bard, is it? It kinda makes sense with my new plan of action.

I

insight

With Dathnor being the second Defender in the party, we should probably talk some strategy in terms of marking and keeping bad guys off the ranged and squishy types. Dathnor can mark 2 targets at most, which obviously should not be the same ones the Fighter marks. Thus, we will need to melee different targets. Also, keep in mind that our marks do different things. Both give the enemy a -2 penalty to attack rolls if they don't attack us, but the Paladin's marks do damage whereas the Fighter's marks can provoke opportunity attacks and maybe some other stuff depending on what feats you take.

Thoughts?

Will more than one opponent on the field, the paladin has to keep the most dangerous occupied with the fighter keeping the remaining away from the party. With only 1 remaining, both of you flank the monster, with the fighter keeping it away from the party.

Richard should make it so that who ever is marked by the paladin is pulled off them every round and moved closer to the fighter. So it either chooses to hit the nearby fighter or tries to leave him and return to the paladin.

I

insight

Will more than one opponent on the field, the paladin has to keep the most dangerous occupied with the fighter keeping the remaining away from the party. With only 1 remaining, both of you flank the monster, with the fighter keeping it away from the party.

Richard should make it so that who ever is marked by the paladin is pulled off them every round and moved closer to the fighter. So it either chooses to hit the nearby fighter or tries to leave him and return to the paladin.
We should, of course, be marking different foes when possible. The idea I was getting at is that while the Paladin's marks do damage, the Fighter's marks have other effects. We should try to mark foes with those effects in mind. And certainly not overriding each other's marks.

I will only be able to log into ventrillo and gametable to listen tonight, too much work otherwise.

If you want to NPC me, just use Memory Hole d20+4 Int vs Will as a basic attack to finish out the encounter, on a hit it does 1d6+4 damage and Richard turns invisible to the target until Richards next turn. It has range 10

Good game y’all! Sure, a few of you almost died but what better way than to get the party friendship up higher than saving eachother? I recorded the session after the first combat.

You guys did pretty well against my rat pack attack, jack. Selmik may be close to defeat, but surely with his upcoming escape he’ll be back! Crap. What is with me and this rap? Ratsssssssssss!

Selmik isn't going to escape anyone, especially not the Enforcement Consultants! And also the fact that Richard and Jack are on his tail and Selmik is prone and Richard is invisible to him.

Was a contract amount ever negotiated for saving the town?

You guys didn't ask about being paid.

So, is the official group name called "Enforcement Consultant Co?"

You guys didn't ask about being paid.
I asked the group in the chat menu to determine this. Looks like we could be working for Dougans Hole for years, solving an undefined problem, possibly involving a Tarrasque for the handsome sum of 6 corn muffins!

Busting into the warehouse doesn't seem so bad now...just in case best do up some NPC stats for the town official in case Melchor gets twitchy :hmmm:

I

insight

Dathnor told the other to negotiate a fee as he only had interest in doing the right thing, whatever that is. In any event, Dathnor assumes that the others did that before coming to the docks. If they didn't, well, perhaps our reward will come in another form.

You guys need to make sure to discuss such matters when the time comes. Kevon believes you're doing this next to nothing! (you guys make poor bargainers)

I'll be uploading the file tonight, got some ideas on how to make the next session even more exciting (yes, more exciting than being attacked by a rat pack and getting filth fever) but it'll have to wait 2 weeks as next week there won't be a game due to my vacation. I promise to make up for it though.

Tarrasque? What Tarrasque? :sneaky:

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Music for your current battle, to keep your appetite going :

Dave

Staff member

I think our main issue the other night is we have no defined leader willing to step up. The paladin is the natural choice but he felt he hadn't been with the group long enough to really step up and negotiate, which is good roleplaying. Ed doesn't do stuff like that because he's too easily led astray by lies. However, he tends to be a bit abrupt when stymied by things he can't hit which is why he finally said fuck it and broke in to the warehouse.

I think meta-gamingly that there were a few things that were rather dumb about the situation but I try not to bemoan things during the game as it's not constructive. The first is that this is a place where stuff is being stolen yet the six crates are being left outside instead of in the locked/barred warehouse? And even though we had been tramping around, the obviousness of the missing box with footprints leading away from the scene (I feel) would have been immediately noticeable considering we were all running around the area searching for stuff.

Anyway, at least I now know why I can't wear plate. Damned CON prereq...

Well the leader role is something I intend for Richard to fulfill, just last night I couldn't dedicate my full attention to the game. We could RP the conversation here instead though. As to the boxes, we as a party jumped to the conclusion that a box was missing. Yes the manifest said 6 and 5 were in plain view, doesn't mean that the 6th is missing, just that it is not located with the other 5.

You don’t have to be leaders to speak up. I strongly support characters that don’t necessarily do things the conventional way. I like different personalities, especially those that do comedic relief and do sarcasm well. Maliciousness and thievery go well with me. I try to be as open as possible.

As far as the situation goes on the docks, everyone fudged their perception rolls, so they didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary (how would one automatically know how many and where the crates are). Without seeing anything peculiar, you wouldn’t necessarily notice the covered up tracks with your passives anyways. But if you asked (aka wanted to look for tracks) then that may be changed. I improvised as things went on, sure, you failed to open the door but you AXEd for a solution and that is good. Creativity FTW. And you got your answers and everything eventually came together. Truth be told, you were a few seconds short of missing this “quest” entirely.

Now you’re fighting the rat pack!

D

Drend Dragonspawn

Everybody just ignored what I said. Except the Law of Symmetry. I still giggle at that one.

It was a great comment. You should speak out some more. :)

You should all speak out. And don't treat anyone as the leader. In fact, your characters shouldn't respect each other in the slightest! That's how the two games I'm playing work and no one misses nothing. Working together is like communism, which never works, whereas everyone in-fighting is keeping up a competitive market of ideas between characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.