Export thread

Jay's Game : Ratsrific

Jay

Jay

Game sessions will be every Wednesday night at 7PM Eastern. We’ll be using Ventrilo along with a Game Table.

Rules of the Game :

* All characters will start with 100 gold coins before they buy their initial gear.
* Character sheets need to be sent to me by PM before this Friday.
* April 7th will be the first game session.
* All alignments are allowed but remember there will be consequences to your actions!
* The campaign will initially start in a town called Dougan’s Hole in Icewind Dale.

Campaign Synopsis & Area Details

Icewind Dale is located in the north-western part of Faerûn. The dale is a small area between the Reghed Glacier (a gigantic polar ice mass) and the Sea of Moving Ice (a large sea of floating icebergs) due north of the Spine of the World (the world’s tallest mountain range).

This area is probably the most hostile area of the realms with the dreadful northern winds, wild and unpredictable weather and lots of really nasty creatures such as white dragons, frost giants and crag cats. Not to even mention the barbarian tribes who don’t even like the settled folk of this area and have been known to raid the most northern settlements. This region is frequently affected by severe blizzard-like weather, usually lashed by howling storms that can flatten buildings. To many, there is no sane reason for civilized folk to come here.

Visitors will find life harsh here, with the total of 10,000 or so folk of Icewind Dale suspicious of all outsiders. Most can still remember the bloody battle against the barbarians and against the tyrant of Icewind Dale, Akar Kessell. Locals automatically think of visitors as trouble as many are fugitives of justice from the warmer lands. During winter, troublemakers are usually slugged on the head, tossed outside and drenched with the contents of the nearest chamber pot. They’ll be dead of the cold before they regain their senses. Indeed, greed has brought the roughest rogues to this frozen land and with the temperate climate, nasty creatures and shifty attitude; it is simply not a safe place for the idle traveler.

The most central feature of the area is a 1000 foot high mountain called Kelvin's Cairn, northeast of which most settlements can be found. According to barbarian legends, the mountain is named for the frost giant hero Kelvin Duarol, who was slain here by the god Tempus. Tempus pulled rocks from the plain in a long ditch and piled them atop his fallen foe to mark his victory and to warn others of the fate of those who court the war god’s wrath.

The area has three lakes, which is truly the only reason why anyone would ever want to even try to build any towns here. The lakes are Maer Dualdon to the west, Lac Dinneshere to the east and Redwaters to the south. They are somewhat frozen for most of the year except for a few weeks in the summer but even at that, the lakes are known to be deceptively dangerous and have claimed many a life. Even in summer, the lake waters are icy enough to kill anyone in the space of a few breaths. These lakes provide knucklehead trout, a rare kind of fish that is not found anywhere else that provides fine ivory-like bone and is the area’s main source of export and good material for carvers. Scrimshanders, the skilled carvers of knucklehead scrimshaw, are important and respected craftsmen here but everyone else is tolerated only as long they give no trouble and do honest business.

There are ten towns around the area that are clustered around these lakes. The biggest is Bryn Shander, a famous trade town, which unlike other towns, is not on the shore of any of the lakes. Along with the town of Targos, they are the only ones to have walls. On the shore of Maer Dualdon lie Bremen, Targos, Termalaine (the most beautiful of all settlements) and Lonelywood (behind a forest sharing the same name). By Lac Dinneshere lays Caer-Konig, Caer-Dineval and one of the newest, Easthaven. By Redwaters lie Good Mead and Dougan's Hole. These two cities don't cooperate much, only get together to discuss of pressing matters, and are usually only cooperating under great threat. As always, there are treaties regarding “who gets to fish where” but the fishermen can never quite agree.

Most important of the Ten Towns is the central, walled, trading town of Bryn Shander. It is here that most travelers will end up, unless they really want to join the fishing trade. From Bryn Shander, a gravel trail known as the Eastway leads east to Lac Dinneshere, and to the community of Easthaven at its end. Another caravan route head’s south towards the Spine of the World and the dwarven town of Hundelstone.

The speaker (the title of the nominal leader of the town) for Bryn Shander dwells in the largest building of the Ten Towns. Despite its pillared porch, it’s no larger than a small inn of the rest of the North. Every town has a speaker, usually coming from a family that commands great respect amongst their peers. Most towns have some militia and fortifications with varying strengths and numbers.

For adventurers, there are always opportunities to find ice, more ice and then some H2O in solid form. Rumors persist of white dragon lairs in the glaciers nearby that are crowded with treasure. Some, the whispers go, even feature abandoned heaps of frozen gems as tall as a house. The treasure descriptions grow even wilder when people speak of the dwarven delves under Kelvin’s Cairn and the Spine of the World. It is true that some adventurers come back from Icewind Dale rich beyond their wildest dreams but most of them have never come back.

Players and Characters

1. Dave – Edrondol Longbeard, Dwarven Fighter (Defender)
2. HCG – Richard Orton, Human Psion (Controller)
3. Dan - Zutoh, Githzerai Monk (Striker)
4. Drend - Melchor the Magnificent, Human Warlock (Striker)
5. OrangeFrogz - Jack, the Human Bard (Leader)
6. Insight - Dathnor Illesarn, Half-Elf Paladin of Amaunator (Leader)

Edrondol Longbeard:

Born under a bad sign, Edrondol has been thought of as unlucky his whole life. Born to the Iron Rock clan Shaman and his wife, Edrondol was groomed from a young age to follow the paths of lore and portend that were walked by his father and his father's father, the line of Shamanistic Longbeards stretching back generations to the beginnings of the Iron Rock clan. But try as he might, Edrondol's thoughts were ever elsewhere. Thoughts of heroic deeds and mighty battles filled his dreams. One day, after getting caught sparring with fake swords, Balnor Longbeard forbade his son to touch another weapon and to rely on the forces of nature at his disposal. Edrondol was miserable, praying every day for Clanggedin Silverbeard (the Dwarven God of war) to deliver him from his life.

Edrondol found out the hard way that Gods do not work in the ways of Dwarves. Whether in answer to his prayers or just because of the God's capricious nature, the village was overrun by creatures foul and evil. Edrondol tried to use the training from his father but as always he was unable to corral the magical energies. As he watched his friends and family cut down by the creatures he finally gave up and grabbed an axe from the body of one of the villagers.

As he waded through the monsters, he felt an exultation such as he never felt during his tedious workings with magic lore and theory. When the monsters were finally vanquished, Edrondol found his happiness ripped away from him. To say his father was displeased would be understating the depths of his anger. Edrondol was stripped of his apprenticeship and cast out of the clan. He was given a weapon and armor, but nothing else.

He wanders now, looking for adventure, trying to find his place in the world.

Melchor the Magnificent:

Melchor was desperate. He couldn't find a teacher. He wanted supreme arcane power. The only problem was that nobody would accept him as an apprentice. He heard about these things called 'infernal pacts' that would grant him equal power to that of a wizard, and he found a Tiefling Warlock, willing to teach him how... For a price. He had to make his pact with the Tiefling's patron. Usually, especially for someone seeking supreme power, that is no big deal. It didn't go right. Something flipped during the pact binding, and it drove the originally Lawful Evil Melchor insane, pushing him to the Chaotic Good side of the Alignment scale, as well as killing the Tiefling in the process. Melchor's best guess is that some bit of wild magic decided to hit them then. Oh well. He got his power. Now the Luskanite is fleeing from the devil's mortal minions, and trying to maintain some semblance of sanity in the process. His most recent hiding place is Dougan's Hole.

Richard Orton :

Born to a normal family on the isles of Moonshae, with normal parents living among humans and elves as normal as everyone could hope to have. Little Richard Orton soon learned that he was not normal at all. At about the age when he was old enough to help his parents with chores around the house, Richard started hearing voices. He quickly learned the lessons of being different and after a few weeks stopped sharing what these voices said with others. Pretending that the voices did not exist kept his parents happy but did nothing to stop them. Then one day after years of noise in his mind, the voices and were replaced with a single voice.

This voice was different, this voice was strong and full of wisdom. It was helpful and taught Richard how to solidify his mind and defend against the minds of others. It explain how Richards mind was different and how it was attuned to the great vast abyss of psychic energy that was flooding into the universe. It taught him how to shape this energy to his will and to hide these abilities so that he could protect himself from the attacks of others who fear those that were different.

The voice trained him in many other ways, it taught him languages and history and the religions of the world. His skills grew through the years and his parents accepted him as normal and the voices of his youth were just the vivid imaginations of youth. Richard learned their trades and habits in addition to the lessons of his mental teacher.

Eventually his parents passed away and Richard left Moonshae for the mainlands to explore and find his own fortune. He was able to find a trade and job that suited him well, and he now oversees the shipments of rare ores around the continent from the city of Riatavin in the south. It is honest work and allows Richard to travel to new places and meet new and interesting people.

Zutoh :

Zutoh was born in a small, secluded monastery high in the Spine of the World. As one might expect, it was a sheltered life, with little to do aside from scholarly pursuits and only a few dozen monks for company. It was a life ill suited to Zutoh’s restless nature, which made him a constant disruption to the serene atmosphere of the monastery.

Zutoh’s father was a Zerth—a warrior leader of his people—and an elder of the monastery. To restore order to the monastery, Zutoh’s father arranged for the boy to be extensively trained in the Centered Breath tradition, which stresses self-control. In his training, Zutoh found a focus for his restless nature, but that focus only carried him so far. A time eventually came when Zutoh felt the need to leave the monastery and seek more worthy pursuits.

From the monastery, Zutoh travelled first to Hundelstone, then north to Bryn Shander, Easthaven, Good Mead, and finally Dougan’s Hole. With nowhere to go from here, the young monk finds himself at a lost as to what to do next.

Jack Drakken :

Jack Drakken is an entertainer of considerable skill and he's not shy about letting everyone know how fantastic he is. Constantly. Thus far in life, he's made his living off his good looks and a quick smile; using his natural gifts to con others and take what he wants.

Despite his overconfidence, Jack has learned to appreciate the safety that comes with traveling in numbers. He traveled extensively with a group of like-minded "opportunists" and has picked up a variety of stories and songs that he loves to share, especially at taverns and other gathering spots where he can impress the locals. Things went sour for his previous group in the city of Waterdeep when the authorities caught wind of the group's activities. Jack separated from his former companions and escaped to the north.

Tras Mekanen

Tras Mekanen
Tras was born and raised in the city of Silverymoon. His father is a human merchant and his mother a half-elf. Due to his mixed heritage, Tras is familiar with the customs of both races. He is the middle child with an older brother (recently deceased in a brutal attack on a caravan on the way to Waterdeep), and a younger sister. The deadly caravan attack has caused his family some financial distress as they lost much of the money that was to be used to send his younger sister (age 13) to Waterdeep in a few years for formal training. Tras is destined to take over the family business which deals in trade of various regional herbs and rare plants.

Tras has decided to leave Silverymoon in search of business opportunities, fortune, and adventure before he will have to take the reins from his of the family business. He also hopes to funnel money home to his younger sister to assist with her schooling – he helped take care of his sister and is quite close to her. Although Tras wasn’t very close to his brother, his recent death has hit him quite hard and he can often lose himself in thought during quiet times.

Campaign Storyline
(will be updated as the storyline goes on)

Prologue

The dawn of another chilling morning woke the people of Dougan’s Hole. The weather was cold… colder than usual and the local folk were advised to not to travel until the snowstorm let up. The streets were usually bare of life except for the occasional militia patrol. The town has now been affected for some time now by the murders and the mysterious disappearance of the local folk during the night. A town curfew has been implemented and the people have reinforced their doors and nailed shut their shutters but every few days a new mutilated body would show up, the town militia once again too slow to find any further clues and the general populace growing more panicked every day. The winter not allowing them to flee the area. Furthermore, the town’s woes grew some more as the town’s promising mining project into the nearby hill has halted as several local miners have been found dead and some more have disappeared.

As people cautiously went about doing their business the beginning of a new adventure began in the town’s sole tavern, The Hairy Lemon. The Hairy Lemon was owned by a local human named Harry and despite the local issues, he welcomed his patrons into his inn without a worry and kept it running around the clock. A few days before the adventure started a dwarven Cleric by the name of Joram arrived in town to provide assistance in local affairs. He ended up being the last victim as he disappeared without a trace along with another adventure group a few days before that.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Jay's Game - We Do Evil Right

WOOHOO! I will probably be listening in. :D

Gusto

Gusto

If I ever have a night off work on Wednesdays, I will probably follow along. But I will definitely keep up on this thread. :)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"Oh hello there, please do sit down. Frightful weather isn't? Well warm yourself by the fire, it will take some of the nip away. I'm sorry I didn't catch your name, I'm Richard Orton, I sell ore from the south to the dwarves of Kelvin's Cairn. Yes, I know they have ore a plenty up there, but they have discovered how to blend my ore with theirs to produce an alloy that seems to resist rusting quite well. This is my third run north this year, and by the looks of it, I won't be making my appointments in the south any time soon. What brings you here, aside from the storm that is?"

Dave

Dave

This is something I've never done before so...is there no way to post an attachment in PMs?

Attachments

Jay

Jay

I believe that option is disabled.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wonder who's fault that is...

Dave

Dave

I looked. I don't even see that option in the Admin Panel.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Wild. It's not an option in vBulletin 4. Weird.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I'ma listen in if I can :D

DannyT

Hey Folks!

I'm Danny, and I will be one of the unfortunate players in this game. Still working on my character concept, but he's probably going to be a Githzerai monk. I'll share more when I have something worth sharing.

Cheers,
D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Danny T will make 'em pay.

Sorry :p. Welcome to the board, even if just to Jay's game's extent.

Glad you got the people gathered, Jay.

Jay

Jay

Most of the other players are still working on their characters. They should hopefully turn up in the next day or so. I would like everyone's background by Friday night though. I'll need a few days to setup the start.

Jay

Jay

"Oh hello there, please do sit down. Frightful weather isn't? Well warm yourself by the fire, it will take some of the nip away. I'm sorry I didn't catch your name, I'm Richard Orton, I sell ore from the south to the dwarves of Kelvin's Cairn. Yes, I know they have ore a plenty up there, but they have discovered how to blend my ore with theirs to produce an alloy that seems to resist rusting quite well. This is my third run north this year, and by the looks of it, I won't be making my appointments in the south any time soon. What brings you here, aside from the storm that is?"

Behind the counter of the Hairy Lemon, Harold the bartender glanced at the stranger intently for a long moment without showing any emotion on his face. After a long pause he proceeded to prepare a mug of ale for his interesting guest. With a raised eyebrow as he peered around the tavern for any other unfamiliar faces and asked, "South of th' Cairn you say? It's not every day that someone 'rom Caer'dinival comes 'bout the Hole! Tis by choice or by misfortune friend?"

Drend Dragonspawn

Hello, I am *twitch twitch* MELCHOR THE MAGNFICENT!!! Some may call me insane, but that is because the do not understand the sheer *twitch twitch* MIGHT AND POWER that my Infernal pact grants me. One day, the whole world will know me... and possibly *twitch twitch* FEAR ME!!! Oh, but enough of that. How about some wine?

Melchor was desperate. He couldn't find a teacher. He wanted supreme arcane power. The only problem was that nobody would accept him as an apprentice. He heard about these things called 'infernal pacts' that would grant him equal power to that of a wizard, and he found a Tiefling Warlock, willing to teach him how... For a price. He had to make his pact with the Tiefling's patron. Usually, especially for someone seeking supreme power, that is no big deal. It didn't go right. Something flipped during the pact binding, and it drove the originally Lawful Evil Melchor insane, pushing him to the Chaotic Good side of the Alignment scale, as well as killing the Tiefling in the process. Melchor's best guess is that some bit of wild magic decided to hit them then. Oh well. He got his power. Now the Luskanite is fleeing from the devil's mortal minions, and trying to maintain some semblance of sanity in the process. His most recent hiding place is Dougan's Hole.

Jay

Jay

I'm definitely going to have fun with this character. *mind starts plotting*

Harold's eyes opened wider at the other man's remark as he shifted his weight from one leg to another, contemplating if he should go for the wine, or the button for his hidden trap chute that this man was standing. He shook his head, obviously this man had too many drinks tonight or perhaps the town's recent events got to his mind. He took out a relatively clean mug from behind the counter and poured this "Melchor" some wine. "Please to serve," he said languidly, "Tell me stranger, what brings you to the 'ole?"

Drend Dragonspawn

I'm definitely going to have fun with this character. *mind starts plotting*

Harold's eyes opened wider at the other man's remark as he shifted his weight from one leg to another, contemplating if he should go for the wine, or the button for his hidden trap chute that this man was standing. He shook his head, obviously this man had too many drinks tonight or perhaps the town's recent events got to his mind. He took out a relatively clean mug from behind the counter and poured this "Melchor" some wine. "Please to serve," he said languidly, "Tell me stranger, what brings you to the 'ole?"
As am I... As am I...

Wine please. None of the watered down swill most places serve. The good stuff. I'm only in this gods forsaken realm for the same reason as anyone else. There is some place (or places) they'd rather not be. *twitch twitch* AND I NEED FRESH SOULS TO EAT! Er what? I meant, I was hungry and needed to stop someplace for the night. This was the only community within 10 miles of my last camp site according to my map.

DannyT

Zutoh's background. This is the short version. I could easily go on for 2,000 words, but who would bother to read that?
Zutoh was born in a small, secluded monastery high in the Spine of the World. As one might expect, it was a sheltered life, with little to do aside from scholarly pursuits and only a few dozen monks for company. It was a life ill suited to Zutoh’s restless nature, which made him a constant disruption to the serene atmosphere of the monastery.

Zutoh’s father was a Zerth—a warrior leader of his people—and an elder of the monastery. To restore order to the monastery, Zutoh’s father arranged for the boy to be extensively trained in the Centered Breath tradition, which stresses self-control. In his training, Zutoh found a focus for his restless nature, but that focus only carried him so far. A time eventually came when Zutoh felt the need to leave the monastery and seek more worthy pursuits.

From the monastery, Zutoh travelled first to Hundelstone, then north to Bryn Shander, Easthaven, Good Mead, and finally Dougan’s Hole. With nowhere to go from here, the young monk finds himself at a lost as to what to do next.
Character sheet attached.

Cheers,
D

Attachments

Jay

Jay

Updated master post with character information. Within 24 hours I'll post once again with more details of the game as well as character reviews, I already noticed a few things that may require correcting. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, discuss your excitement bitches!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I am excited.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm working on a getted pumped song about the campaign based on the Monday Night Football theme! It will help everyone get excited about the game and remind Dave that football season is months away!:p

Cajungal

Cajungal

Seriously, I just had to change my pants.

Orangefrog

Hey all. Happy to be aboard the team. As far as 4th edition goes I'm pretty much a newbie so be gentle. Last time I played all Wizards had released was the three core books, so I've got a lot of catching up to do...

Anyway, here's a short little background for my Bard:
Jack Drakken is an entertainer of considerable skill and he's not shy about letting everyone know how fantastic he is. Constantly. Thus far in life, he's made his living off his good looks and a quick smile; using his natural gifts to con others and take what he wants.

Despite his overconfidence, Jack has learned to appreciate the safety that comes with traveling in numbers. He traveled extensively with a group of like-minded "opportunists" and has picked up a variety of stories and songs that he loves to share, especially at taverns and other gathering spots where he can impress the locals. Things went sour for his previous group in the city of Waterdeep when the authorities caught wind of the group's activities. Jack separated from his former companions and escaped to the north.

Character Sheet:
View attachment 462

Attachments

Orangefrog

And since everyone else seems to be getting into the whole roleplaying thing...I thought I'd introduce my character as well.

It was an odd situation for Jack. Stuck in the frozen wastes of the north in a town barely worth mentioning. To top it all off, his fellow tavern goers seemed defeated and solemn. The whole feeling of it was ruining his good mood. He sloshed his half-finished drink around and stared down at the table. Jack couldn't let this happen. Boredom and Jack Drakken do not belong in the same room.

Jack pondered for a second and then began tapping his foot to a rhythm only he could hear. He smiled quietly to himself and grabbed his lute. He headed toward the center of the tavern and began playing. He introduced himself to the crowd. "Hello Dougan's Hole! I am Jack Drakken, entertainer, adventurer, and monster-slayer extradoinnaire! I have prepared this song just for you!" He cleared his throat and began singing his song.This one was always a crowd favorite...

Somewhere in the middle of the song, Jack found his way on top of one of the tables. It's not every day Jack Drakken does a show like this for free and he was certain the crowd would appreciate being able to get a better view of THE Jack Drakken.

With his song finished, Jack glanced around the room, expecting nothing more than absolute hysteria. Instead, he was met with a few amused grins and a hostile stare from the tavernkeeper. "Fine" he murmured to himself. "If song will not cheer up this crowd, then ale will!" He begins proclaiming his intentions to buy everyone in the establishment another round but cuts himself short when he glances into his money pouch. He visibly winces and awkwardly looks around the room.

Jay

Jay

I'm going to catch up tonight (Easter weekend was awesome) with an update and see how quickly people respond to my post to meet Wednesday's game deadline.

Brimstone360

Guys - I am trying to get the character builder to work. I believe it is zipped - right? What program do you use to unzip it? I clicking the file and it wants me to pick a program to open it. I am using Windows 7.

Thanks,

Ray

Jay

Jay

Give it a shot with WinRar.

Dave

Dave

If you are downloading it from the WotC site it should be an executable file. Be sure before you do ANYTHING you update your .NET framework to 3.5 or you will spend hours unfucking it.

Again, this should be an exe file unless you are getting it from a different source.

Jay

Jay

In this case, it's a "different source". Hopefully they'll invest in it later on if they enjoy playing the game regularly.

In regards to the game tomorrow night, I’ll be posting the moment I get home tonight the updated I promised yesterday. Given the fact that everything is still in the process of getting together, the first hour or so will be basically getting everything setup for the campaign. I really need folks to pull together tonight and make the appropriate corrections as well as providing me with the things I need from you to start the game correctly.

Oh, did I mention that I love creating dungeons crawls as well as puzzles? Planning your dooms has been orgasmic. *evil cackle*

Jay

Jay

Alright, here are a few more details about the campaign:

- When players will be rolling for specific skills during the game, those who are trained in that specific skill can assist them. (More information will be provided during the first game session)

- After a long moment of contemplation, I'll finally be using Gametable. Please download it and install it. (Gametable 2.0 RC7): http://sourceforge.net/projects/gametable/

- Once Gametable is installed, it is strongly recommended to bind all your dice rolls ahead of time. With your character sheet at hand, you should be able to create a macro for most of your common rolls easily. DON'T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR MACROS WHEN YOU ARE DONE, GAME TABLE WON'T DO IT FOR YOU!!! :)

- I'd like your macros to follow a specific format so that when the session is going on, you don't always need to go back to your character sheet to remind me the details on your attack. Here is an example of a good macro.

Daily - [Blinding Barrage] (Attack Roll) (Dexterity vs. AC)
/roll d20+11

Daily - [Blinding Barrage] (Damage Roll) (Hit Causes Blindness) (Miss = Half Damage/No Blind)
/roll 2d4+5

This may be a little confusing but trust me, when you’ll create 1 macro, it'll start making sense. I'd appreciate it if you would mention what type of attack it is (At-Will / Encounter / Utility), its name, the type of attack and type of defense (ex: Dex vs AC). Additional information is very much appreciated. You can also macro every skill, your initiative, etc. If you have ANY issues making macros ahead of time, please contact me on Steam. Lastly, I remind you to save your macros often. Game Table won't save them for you!!!

- If you could prepare a POG for your player it would be appreciated. If you cannot create a POG, send me a link to a picture you'd like me to use and I'll create one for you ahead of time.

- Be there and be on time! 6:45 PM is the ideal logon time on Ventrilo. Also make sure that you have enough time to check out your character sheet. If you are going to run late or have to miss a session, PM me about it! Repeat offenders can and will be replaced by other players.

- When you will be in exploration mode, movement will be in real-time. Where you’re at will be where you’ll start during encounter and social situations. Any movement needs to be reported to the GM vocally (ex: You’ll say Jack walks up carefully to the Balor and tells him firmly that he shall not pass).

- We got players of all levels in this game, some of you have been playing the game for a long time, transcending from very old versions of the game up to players who have played just a few meager sessions. Let’s be patient! No one is better than anyone in this game and it is critical that everyone shows some patience for the first game session or two. It is also everyone’s responsibility to teach the game to others, there’s no shame in checking out the player’s handbook for enlightenment for certain rules/situations. If you lack it, ask me.

- For our entertainment I may test out some musical themes for game sessions as well as downtime during battle initiatives. Let's see how that goes. For example, here is your first theme... this provides you a mood setting of Dougan's Hole and its current situation.

- Last point, I'd like you guys to discuss on how you met. I'd like not to take the first hour of the game session starting from scratch, if you guys can find an in character reason to know each other (aka may have met previously on your travels, you’re fed up town citizens, previous adventure mini-groups, etc...) This would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are your character reviews, if there is anything outstanding, please correct it ASAP and send me your character sheet.

1. Dave – Edrondol Longbeard, Dwarven Fighter (Defender)

Gear is fine.
Background is fine.
Build is fine.

2. HCG – Richard Orton, Human Psion (Controller)

You're short 45gp for the Ritual Book. You'll have to remove something.
(Dagger (1gp), Crossbow(25g) , Bolts (40)(2gp), Standard Adventurers Kit (15g), Climber Kit(2gp), Everburning Torch(50gp), Ritual book (gp) )
I'm going to unfortunately deny you the ability to learn Abyssal as a starting language (Abyssal and Supernal will require special things to allow them to be used, aka by feats or by items). Feel free to choose another language.
Background is fine.
Oddly enough, character builder doesn't mention “Kinetic Thawl” (but it does show Mind thrust). Hopefully I can see it in a later update with the character builder.

3. Ray - Tras Mekanen, Human Cleric of Waukeen (Leader) (Need BG)

Need character sheet.
Need background.

4. Dan - Zutoh, Githzerai Monk (Striker)

Gear is fine.
Background is fine.
Build is fine.

5. Drend - Melchor the Magnificent - Human Warlock (Striker)

I'll need you to create your character with character builder (sorry that website doesn't show me everything I'd like) (Steam me for the link please if you don't have it!)
Background is fine.

6. OrangeFrogz - Human Bard (Leader)

Gear is fine.
Background is fine.
Build is fine.

Dave

Dave

I'm the only front line guy?!? Yikes!

Gusto

Gusto

There is a monk.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Probably just not in the DDI thing yet, Psions gain the Ritual Casting Feat, a ritual book ,the ritual Sending and one more 1st level ritual for free. Once per day I can perform the Sending ritual without components.

And it was Kinetic Thrawl, level 1 Psion At-Will.

And I will adjust my languages and now having perused the Forgotten Realms book in the bookstore with a baby in tow, adjust my religion to match the Realms.

So if we are using Ventrillo, do I still need steam to play?

Jay

Jay

You're a Dwarf, that's like 1 1/2 at least.

Probably just not in the DDI thing yet, Psions gain the Ritual Casting Feat, a ritual book ,the ritual Sending and one more 1st level ritual for free. Once per day I can perform the Sending ritual without components.

And it was Kinetic Thrawl, level 1 Psion At-Will.

And I will adjust my languages and now having perused the Forgotten Realms book in the bookstore with a baby in tow, adjust my religion to match the Realms.

So if we are using Ventrillo, do I still need steam to play?
No, you don't. Just so that I can chat with you outside of the forums. I'd like to be able to quickly contact the players if needed. PMs take too long.

DannyT

Don't worry, I will distract the enemy for a few rounds by being pummeled mercilessly. That should give you and the others enough time to take them out.

Brimstone360

Name: Tras Mekanen
Race: Human
Deity: Waukeen
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 175
Hair: Middle length, brown

Tras was born and raised in the city of Silverymoon. His father is a human merchant and his mother a half-elf. Due to his mixed heritage, Tras is familiar with the customs of both races. He is the middle child with an older brother (recently deceased in a brutal attack on a caravan on the way to Waterdeep), and a younger sister. The deadly caravan attack has caused his family some financial distress as they lost much of the money that was to be used to send his younger sister (age 13) to Waterdeep in a few years for formal training. Tras is destined to take over the family business which deals in trade of various regional herbs and rare plants.

Tras has decided to leave Silverymoon in search of business opportunities, fortune, and adventure before he will have to take the reins from his of the family business. He also hopes to funnel money home to his younger sister to assist with her schooling – he helped take care of his sister and is quite close to her. Although Tras wasn’t very close to his brother, his recent death has hit him quite hard and he can often lose himself in thought during quiet times.

(I still need to update my character with Divine Power options...but here it is otherwise. I will be on the game ASAP tomorrow. I have a meeting/dinner with our groups VP and will be on as soon as I get home.)

Attachments

Orangefrog

I haven't seen it posted yet so I thought I'd ask...what's the vent server info?

Jay

Jay

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showthread.php?9289-Halforum-Ventrilo-Server-Info!

(Hostname or IP): chi4.ugt-servers.com
(Port Number): 21169

Dave

Dave

Aw yeah!

Game time tonight!

I have to download the updated Gametable and try and find me a pog. I had erased everything, which shows great foresight.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

some of you have been playing the game for a long time, transcending from very old versions of the game
I do believe we have just been called old Dave.

"Hey kiddo, see this miniature? It's made with lead!"

I have downloaded game-table, built and saved my macros per the listed naming methods and modified my language selections. I will have an updated character sheet posted tonight. I have also produced the ultimate pog! No not Steve Allen.

Dave

Dave

I'm going to be behind the curve on all of the macros & shit. But by the next game I'll be right as rain.

DannyT

For simplicity's sake. I have designed my attack macros to roll all 20s. I find that it makes combat a bit more predictable and saves time on damage rolls!

Suriously though, I have everything set up and ready to go. Pog, macros, and whatnot.

Also, just a brief heads-up: I'm going to try really hard to be there on-time tonight, but I might be 10 or 15 minutes late, depending on how long it takes me to get out of a study group.

Cheers,
D

Jay

Jay

Tonight's game should be fun but obviously quite slow. So patience from everyone will be important! I know that some may come in a bit late but don’t come in too late or I’ll start without you. Furthermore, I’d want to start the game on time, every week, if at all possible. Anyways, we'll spend some time on setting up the game/pogs/macros, getting to know eachother, give our characters some background ideas on why there are there and why they are a group…. and yes, there WILL be side quests for your characters and YES… what you do, will affect the storyline… GRAVELY!

*rubs tips of fingers together cackling*

I'll also field your questions. Once everything is good to go, I’ll start ….. MY DRAMATIC INTRO TO THE CAMPAIGN called….

“The Vengeance of the Crystal Shard”

:sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

Dave

Dave

So you say we do evil right.

Are we playing good or bad guys? If good guys then I'm going for defender of the weak but if bad guys I'm going to be a bitter, vengeful guy bent on getting powerful enough to go home and bring ruination on his former clan.

Gusto

Gusto

I think the implication is that you're gonna be bangin' some drow ladies.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So you say we do evil right.

Are we playing good or bad guys? If good guys then I'm going for defender of the weak but if bad guys I'm going to be a bitter, vengeful guy bent on getting powerful enough to go home and bring ruination on his former clan.
I'm a humble merchant who has gained knowledge through travel and training. Clearly I find success through lawful pursuits.

DannyT

I'm sure we're mostly going to be good guys. Or maybe we'll all be mostly good guys. Anyhow, I like to think that Jay was saying that he (using the royal "we") does evil right.

As in: "OH MY GOD A BAATEZU IS EATING MY FACE!" Instead of: "Forsooth! We shall end thou most heinous treachery, vile sorcerer!"

I should probably reread the rules on death and dying...

Dave

Dave

1) Step 1, you die.
2) Step 2, we rifle through your clothes looking for loose change.

Jay

Jay

You’ll understand a few sessions in, what exactly that slogan means.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

As far as what type of party we have, we seem have a bit… of everything. Some are examples of goodness personified, some are…not… some are in the middle… sometimes they’ll save the day and sometimes… steal your shoes. ^.^

Gotta love Chaotic neutral!

Drend Dragonspawn

Crenshenibon hath returned? Last I heard
Cadderly sacrificed his life to lock Crenshenibon with Haphaestus the red dragon (in the form of the Ghost King) into the remains of Spirit Soaring!

Drend Dragonspawn

Character builder version of Melchor

Attachments

Jay

Jay

Indeed.

Storyline wise, our campaign gets right in the middle of that storyline as the Crenshenibon makes it return (aka: before Strumpet finds it). Things will be playing out quite differently.

DannyT

Thanks everyone for a fun and productive first session. Imagine how much more dangerous we're going to be when we figure out how our characters work!

In honor of our first session, I present you with the ARBITRARY AWARDS: ROUND 1. Each week, I will be handing out awards for random awesomeness that I remembered from the game. I encourage others to do likewise and shine a friendly light on your fellow adventurers! So, without further ado...

The Battlefield Bellyflop Award for Full-Body Warfare goes to Edrondol for his lamentably unsuccessful attempt to dislodge a parasitic bat by chest-thumping a stone wall.

The Dr. Scholl's Amateur Mortician Award for Posthumous Footwear Enthusiasts goes to Richard for his shameless theft of a bloody shoe from a desiccated corpse.

Finally, the Helen Keller, P.I. Award for Sightless Marksmanship also goes to Melchor for standing in complete darkness and firing Eldritch Blasts repeatedly at unknown enemies that he could not see.

Congratulations to all the winners! Once again, feel free to add your own entries into the highly prestigious and entirely made-up and meaningless ARBITRARY AWARDS!

NOTE: The Dr. Scholl's Amateur Mortician Award was accidentally awarded to Melchor last night. It has been rescinded in the most violent way possible (see: Elian Gonzalez). After washing off the blood and bits of bone, the Dr. Scholl's Amateur Mortician Award has officially been reassigned to Richard. Congratulations!

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Don't suppose there are any recordings, hm?

Gusto

Gusto

Heh, I like to take the name of the award and try to guess why it's being awarded. :) Fun!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It was actually Richard that took the boot. Why he took it, well don't you guys worry about that, it's clear that he is the brains of the group, he must know what he is doing.

In review, the hardest part of last night for me was Ventrillo. I had whole conversations going on without realizing that I had not pushed the button to talk.

And could we end the sessions a little earlier? 1AM my time is tiring.

"It's Melchor and the Brain, It's Melchor and the Brain. One is a genius the other's insane..."

Jay

Jay

Absolutely, the game went a bit long. Next week it'll start at 7 and finish at 11. Thanks to everyone for making the magic happen... and for EVERYONE for having amazing macros. :)

As for recordings, sorry I didn't think of that. Remind me how they are done again?

ps: love the awards :D

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Recordings are done by, in Ventrilo, right clicking -> View -> Record / Playback.

Then you hit record! And hit done when you're done. It'll save as a Ventrilo file which is smaller and can be listened to on Vent, or you can export it as a wave which is much larger. But, from the wave you can convert it to other things like an mp3 for nice sharing.

Orangefrog

Ed deserves some kind of reward for coining the word "Bazinga!". Personally, I've fallen in love with the word and have found it can be used in a variety of ways.

Example: Melchor must have taken his arbitrary award to heart since even after the lights were on, he still couldn't hit a damn thing. BAZINGA!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh you wish to hear how I cleaned out the deep mines of Dougans Hole? Well that is a most interesting tale to tell, years ago it was now, Yes, let me see if I have right. I had the terrible misfortune of finding myself in Dougans Hole one dire winter. A winter full of very unique circumstances, for it would seem that this particular town on this particular winter was having some very particular events.

Mass killings, severed limbs, crucifixions, orc raids, all manners of glorious death and danger to behold. And here I was trapped there by the snow, when spending the night helping the local barkeep learn to read and write when I learned of a most troubling event. The recent mining expansion had come to a halt, the mine was soon to be abandoned. Now back then I was steal an ore procurer, so the closing of this mind would have directly impacted my ability to pay for my widowed mother and poor orphaned sister in Lower Waterdeep. So clearly I had to solve this mining embargo or fine some other means of cashflow.

Now it was at this time that the barkeep kept trying to get me to try some of the local flotsam and since I was eager to learn more I paid for the drink but instead of consuming it myself, I offered it to some penniless dwarven woman who was pining at the bars door for any drop of intoxicant she could beg. Now I am not one to admit my mistakes easily, but this was a lesson I learned dearly that day; never buy a dwarf a drink my friend. That she dwarf became latched to me like a newborn puppy and it's been thirty years going on and she still hasn't ventured more that a half mile away from me.

However I was quick to take advantage of this situation and since to restore the mine to normality I would need the skills that dwarves excel at, naming digging rocks and dieing, I kept young Edrondol in my company for the next while. Further discussions soon attracted the interests of homicidal brute who enjoyed killing people with little more than his bare hands, a rather twitchy looking character and a preening fop.

Upon my suggestion we sallied forth to the local mining office to further inquire about the tragedy of the mine. A fine pair of gentlemen there explained the horrors there were to be found withing and offered us a paltry sum to clean the mine out. My new companions were eager to risk their lives for the meager sum of five hundred thousand pieces of copper, I naturally offered to perform the task for virtues sake, but the mining magnates insisted and so we agreed up the aforementioned sum.

And into the mine we went! I forged a path with torch, exploring the depths of mine, uncovering mysteries and monsters. The monsters? Oh a terrible collection of unmentionables, why we were not yet in the mine for a half hour when we were set upon by a pack of vampire bats! Now the homicidal maniac, Kutoh I believe he was called starting flailing around like teenage boy with his third cousin and set trying to knock the bats out of the air. Edronol the dwarf, did what was expected and simply got attacked over and over. For some odd reason the preening looking fellow started singing songs and sea shanties at the beasts, while the twitchy fellow, Melchor was his name. Oh you've heard of him, oh; the orphanage incident, that's another story altogether. Well he starts launching all manners of destructive energy and cackling like a madman. Needless to say it was a very rough fight, but with a few deft maneuvers of my own our brave little band endured.

Not one to rest, we set on deeper and deeper into the mines, but not recklessly mind you for it on this exploration that I found a most interesting relic, but the story of the Tarrasque is for another time. This is about saving my crippled father and bedridden brother. Onward deeper and deeper into the tainted hallways of ore, when suddenly...we where overtaken by a horrible stench. Jack the minstrel quickly postulated that it was the dwarf, but I've been around a few years and let me tell you, this smell was no dwarven love song.

It wasn't long before the mine opened up into a huge open room, completely dark. The stench was nearly overpowering in there but myself and the she dwarf pushed on when suddenly, boulder after boulder was launched upon us. To make matters worse, Melchor lost his senses and started launching mystical eruptions of hellfire around the room in a vain attempt to find what ever it was that was attacking us. Our enemies didn't take long to reveal themselves and soon I was locked in a deadly struggle with four giant abyssmal worms being controlled by a fiery hellspawn! Now if not for my keen mind and quick leadership things could have gone from bad to worse in a halflings longjump, but I was able to deftly adjust the attentions of the creatures long enough to send the hellspawn back to the abyss. But I had to sacrifice my safety to do so and on more then one occasion I took to fighting off the worms with but my trusty dagger.

Oh my food is here, perhaps after dinner I will finish the tale;"

Jay

Jay

That was pretty awesome HC. Great job!

Bazinga!

Jay

Jay

I'm going to ask folk to provide me with their top 3 wishes, you can state items in particular (doesn't mean you'll necessarily get them) but general types will do. For example :

The Simkin wants :

1) Dagger
2) Belt
3) Armor

Saryon wants:

1) Symbol
2) Rituals
3) Boots

Drend Dragonspawn

If I could hit you, you would want to rethink that statement. Just you wait... The dark powers will get you.... Eventually....

Yay! I got the Helen Keller award! But hey, it was a legitimate strategy. Eldritch blasts create light that let me see. Plus it could have dropped rocks on the damn things.

My top 3:
1. A good rod.
2. Cloak
3. Necklace

Oh you wish to hear how I cleaned out the deep mines of Dougans Hole? Well that is a most interesting tale to tell, years ago it was now, Yes, let me see if I have right. I had the terrible misfortune of finding myself in Dougans Hole one dire winter. A winter full of very unique circumstances, for it would seem that this particular town on this particular winter was having some very particular events.

Mass killings, severed limbs, crucifixions, orc raids, all manners of glorious death and danger to behold. And here I was trapped there by the snow, when spending the night helping the local barkeep learn to read and write when I learned of a most troubling event. The recent mining expansion had come to a halt, the mine was soon to be abandoned. Now back then I was steal an ore procurer, so the closing of this mind would have directly impacted my ability to pay for my widowed mother and poor orphaned sister in Lower Waterdeep. So clearly I had to solve this mining embargo or fine some other means of cashflow.

Now it was at this time that the barkeep kept trying to get me to try some of the local flotsam and since I was eager to learn more I paid for the drink but instead of consuming it myself, I offered it to some penniless dwarven woman who was pining at the bars door for any drop of intoxicant she could beg. Now I am not one to admit my mistakes easily, but this was a lesson I learned dearly that day; never buy a dwarf a drink my friend. That she dwarf became latched to me like a newborn puppy and it's been thirty years going on and she still hasn't ventured more that a half mile away from me.

However I was quick to take advantage of this situation and since to restore the mine to normality I would need the skills that dwarves excel at, naming digging rocks and dieing, I kept young Edrondol in my company for the next while. Further discussions soon attracted the interests of homicidal brute who enjoyed killing people with little more than his bare hands, a rather twitchy looking character and a preening fop.

Upon my suggestion we sallied forth to the local mining office to further inquire about the tragedy of the mine. A fine pair of gentlemen there explained the horrors there were to be found withing and offered us a paltry sum to clean the mine out. My new companions were eager to risk their lives for the meager sum of five hundred thousand pieces of copper, I naturally offered to perform the task for virtues sake, but the mining magnates insisted and so we agreed up the aforementioned sum.

And into the mine we went! I forged a path with torch, exploring the depths of mine, uncovering mysteries and monsters. The monsters? Oh a terrible collection of unmentionables, why we were not yet in the mine for a half hour when we were set upon by a pack of vampire bats! Now the homicidal maniac, Kutoh I believe he was called starting flailing around like teenage boy with his third cousin and set trying to knock the bats out of the air. Edronol the dwarf, did what was expected and simply got attacked over and over. For some odd reason the preening looking fellow started singing songs and sea shanties at the beasts, while the twitchy fellow, Melchor was his name. Oh you've heard of him, oh; the orphanage incident, that's another story altogether. Well he starts launching all manners of destructive energy and cackling like a madman. Needless to say it was a very rough fight, but with a few deft maneuvers of my own our brave little band endured.

Not one to rest, we set on deeper and deeper into the mines, but not recklessly mind you for it on this exploration that I found a most interesting relic, but the story of the Tarrasque is for another time. This is about saving my crippled father and bedridden brother. Onward deeper and deeper into the tainted hallways of ore, when suddenly...we where overtaken by a horrible stench. Jack the minstrel quickly postulated that it was the dwarf, but I've been around a few years and let me tell you, this smell was no dwarven love song.

It wasn't long before the mine opened up into a huge open room, completely dark. The stench was nearly overpowering in there but myself and the she dwarf pushed on when suddenly, boulder after boulder was launched upon us. To make matters worse, Melchor lost his senses and started launching mystical eruptions of hellfire around the room in a vain attempt to find what ever it was that was attacking us. Our enemies didn't take long to reveal themselves and soon I was locked in a deadly struggle with four giant abyssmal worms being controlled by a fiery hellspawn! Now if not for my keen mind and quick leadership things could have gone from bad to worse in a halflings longjump, but I was able to deftly adjust the attentions of the creatures long enough to send the hellspawn back to the abyss. But I had to sacrifice my safety to do so and on more then one occasion I took to fighting off the worms with but my trusty dagger.

Oh my food is here, perhaps after dinner I will finish the tale
[/QUOTE]

There were only 3 Carrion Crawlers. But I think you got my character's mentality down to the T. Lols. Orphanage incident. Sounds fun.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm going to ask folk to provide me with their top 3 wishes, you can state items in particular (doesn't mean you'll necessarily get them) but general types will do. For example :
As a player I prefer static effects, then encounter effects and finally daily effects.

Richard the character, though would be seeking

1. Knowledge (rituals, old books, new languages)
2. Defensive measures (amulets, armour, methods of escape)
3. Offensive measures (implements, rings, weaponns)

Drend, clearly Richard remembers the encounter differently than Melchor :), there is tons of creative license in there, along with apparently claring gramatical errors. Next time, I won't free type it in the message board screen, too small on a net book to catch such mistakes.

Orangefrog

Let's see...what do I want? Hm...

*puts on Scarface voice*

1. First, I want the money
2. Then when I get the money, I want the power.
3. Then when I get the power, I want the women.

But seriously...

1. A songblade is definitely #1 on my list. (Preferably a light blade)
2. After that, I guess I could use some better Hide or Chain armor.
3. After that, I don't really care too much. Maybe some magical trinkets with neat powers.

Jay

Jay

Make women droppable loot... mmmm...

Jay

Jay

Still trying to round up everyone's loot list. Make sure to provide or else, you may get stuck with things such as.... chalk.

Oh yyesssss...

Gusto

Gusto

As long as the Chalk is Eternal, it has benefits. :)

Drend Dragonspawn

Eternal chalk... I could write a LOT of rude messages on dungeon walls with that....

Gusto

Gusto

My wizard has a piece of Eternal Chalk and a ritual that requires him to draw runes that form a protective barrier against undead unless they are strong enough to overpower my massive Arcana check, or they disturb or obscure the runes. Eternal Chalk means that no one destroys the barrier without my permission. :)

Dave

Dave

Ed deserves some kind of reward for coining the word \"Bazinga!\". Personally, I've fallen in love with the word and have found it can be used in a variety of ways. Example: Melchor must have taken his arbitrary award to heart since even after the lights were on, he still couldn't hit a damn thing. BAZINGA!
Oh how I wish I could take credit for this word.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

And my list:

1. A magic weapon to make me hit harder.
  2. Magic Armor to make my AC go up.
  3. Anything else that will make me hit more often or raise my AC.
I'm totally about the hit/AC.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Dave you want bracers to increase damage too! And we don't want you to have high AC, we want the monsters to hit you not us!

Jay

Jay

Next session, I'm trying to find ways to fit a lich into the storyline along with an epic Baldur's Gate like destiny somewhere in there. Hell, I'll even throw scorpion eggs in the mix. Dougan's Hole is now 200% more awesome!

.....Not really.

Dave

Dave

Dave you want bracers to increase damage too! And we don't want you to have high AC, we want the monsters to hit you not us!
Whether they hit me or not is immaterial to you as they are using their combat action. To me, though, it makes a world of difference.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My wizard has a piece of Eternal Chalk and a ritual that requires him to draw runes that form a protective barrier against undead unless they are strong enough to overpower my massive Arcana check, or they disturb or obscure the runes. Eternal Chalk means that no one destroys the barrier without my permission.
I approve of your DM allowing you believe that Eternal Chalk works that way. Very evil of them.

And Dave, I was talking about the perceived contradiction of a hard to hit character acting alongside a lower AC class. The classic rogue/fighter scenario; does the mob strike the fighter with superior AC and ignore the massive damage output of the rogue, or does he go after the much easier to hit rogue and face moderate retribution from the fighter in return. I've always geared my fighters as defenders who make the choice to hit them very easy.

Dave

Dave

My wizard has a piece of Eternal Chalk and a ritual that requires him to draw runes that form a protective barrier against undead unless they are strong enough to overpower my massive Arcana check, or they disturb or obscure the runes. Eternal Chalk means that no one destroys the barrier without my permission.
I approve of your DM allowing you believe that Eternal Chalk works that way. Very evil of them.

And Dave, I was talking about the perceived contradiction of a hard to hit character acting alongside a lower AC class. The classic rogue/fighter scenario; does the mob strike the fighter with superior AC and ignore the massive damage output of the rogue, or does he go after the much easier to hit rogue and face moderate retribution from the fighter in return. I've always geared my fighters as defenders who make the choice to hit them very easy.[/QUOTE]

But in 4e with the marking of the enemies, it becomes more strategic than just being a damage sponge. This is why I broke off the 1-on-1 I was in to attack the dude who was attacking the mage. I missed, but it still marked him and made him attack me instead.

Doesn't matter. I'm probably gonna die in the next round or so.

Jay

Jay

Will Ed die during the top of Round 7 in an epic battle in the mines of Dougan's Hole surrounded by the green blood of his enemies? Or will he survive and yell out Bazinga? Is this the end of Zutoh’s legendary journey? Will Richard master his psychotic abilities? And what about Melchor? Will he achieve his long term goals of world domination? Did Jack sing his last ballad?

Stay tuned for Wednesday, where this nameless company of “heroes” may or may not fight off these vile creatures and avoid being their next meal.

On a serious note, I have made a modification in the game. I have replaced the cleric with a new player who’ll be coming in to replace him with a Paladin.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Will Richard master his psychotic abilities?
Ooooh! I like that typo!

Ed: "Please pass the salt."
Richard: "Psychic Blast for 4d10+4, 10 Ongoing"

insight

The half-elf known as Dathnor Illesarn stumbled meekly across the tundra and into Dougan's Hole. At first, the townsfolk dismissed Dathnor as another weary traveler; few cared enough to even look in his direction or flash a cursory smile.

Finally, once Dathnor had reached the front of the Hairy Lemon Tavern, the young traveler fell to his knees and there he stayed for some time.

A woman, a tailor, stopped to see Dathnor. "Young man," she said. "I've not seen you in town before. Are you new to Doughan's Hole?"

Dathnor took a moment to collect his thoughts. He barely understood this woman's strange accent and he was obviously a stranger in a strange land.

"I am called Dathnor Illesarn," he said. "I hail from the Nelanther Isles."

"You are a long way from home, young man."

Dathnor smiled and got to his feet.

"Do you travel alone?" she asked. "And in such clothing? You'll catch the death!"

Dathnor was indeed ill-prepared for his frosty journey. He looked down at a thin layer of clothing over his plate armor, then back to the woman. "Good lady, my caravan was attacked somewhere near here. Did you know that there are GIANTS about?"

The woman laughed. "Giants? Yes. Everyone knows they are about."

"I am the only survivor. It is only with Amauntor's grace that I made it this far."

The tailor ushered Dathnor inside the Hairy Lemon. It was mid-morning and the place was fairly deserted.

"Sit down here," she said. "I must be on my way, but Harry there will see to it that you are cared for."

The woman left and within moments, Harry, the tavern's proprietor, was over to see Dathnor.

"You look like you could use a stout ale, my friend."

Dathnor looked up at Harry. The young half-elf had been through quite a lot in his 25 years. For the past 6, he had served aboard the Viable, a merchant ship that had sailed the western coast of Faerun from the Nelanther Isles and finally landing at Luskan. From there, Dathnor led a merchant caravan across the Sword Coast, to Hindelstone and eventually toward the Ten Towns. It was when his caravan crossed the River Shaengare that the giants attacked.

"A few, perhaps," Dathnor replied.

Dathnor Illesarn spent the next few hours at the Hairy Lemon, getting a feel for the town of Dougan's Hole and its inhabitants. With no real compass at this point, the young half-elf had no plans and felt rather discouraged about braving the wilds outside. He drank and drank, spending nearly the last of his coin. With only 11 gold coins left in his purse, Dathnor plopped one down for a room and spent the night, hoping that the next day's light and Amauntor's grace would show him the way.

Dave

Dave

Shut up and get in here! I'm getting CREAMED!

Jay

Jay

*chews on Ed's face*

Great intro post! I love the roleplay.

Jay

Jay

Jay's Game : Spice up your life with Carrion Crawlers

Everything looks fine. I'll catch up with you tonight to work out the details.

This thread now has a new and exciting topic title. :D

insight

It's not going to make the Bard player mad if Dathnor multiclasses into Bard, is it? It kinda makes sense with my new plan of action.

insight

Attached is the new version of Dathnor Illesarn. Enjoy!

Attachments

insight

With Dathnor being the second Defender in the party, we should probably talk some strategy in terms of marking and keeping bad guys off the ranged and squishy types. Dathnor can mark 2 targets at most, which obviously should not be the same ones the Fighter marks. Thus, we will need to melee different targets. Also, keep in mind that our marks do different things. Both give the enemy a -2 penalty to attack rolls if they don't attack us, but the Paladin's marks do damage whereas the Fighter's marks can provoke opportunity attacks and maybe some other stuff depending on what feats you take.

Thoughts?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Will more than one opponent on the field, the paladin has to keep the most dangerous occupied with the fighter keeping the remaining away from the party. With only 1 remaining, both of you flank the monster, with the fighter keeping it away from the party.

Richard should make it so that who ever is marked by the paladin is pulled off them every round and moved closer to the fighter. So it either chooses to hit the nearby fighter or tries to leave him and return to the paladin.

insight

Will more than one opponent on the field, the paladin has to keep the most dangerous occupied with the fighter keeping the remaining away from the party. With only 1 remaining, both of you flank the monster, with the fighter keeping it away from the party.

Richard should make it so that who ever is marked by the paladin is pulled off them every round and moved closer to the fighter. So it either chooses to hit the nearby fighter or tries to leave him and return to the paladin.
We should, of course, be marking different foes when possible. The idea I was getting at is that while the Paladin's marks do damage, the Fighter's marks have other effects. We should try to mark foes with those effects in mind. And certainly not overriding each other's marks.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I will only be able to log into ventrillo and gametable to listen tonight, too much work otherwise.

If you want to NPC me, just use Memory Hole d20+4 Int vs Will as a basic attack to finish out the encounter, on a hit it does 1d6+4 damage and Richard turns invisible to the target until Richards next turn. It has range 10

Jay

Jay

Dave?????

Jay

Jay

Good game y’all! Sure, a few of you almost died but what better way than to get the party friendship up higher than saving eachother? I recorded the session after the first combat.

You guys did pretty well against my rat pack attack, jack. Selmik may be close to defeat, but surely with his upcoming escape he’ll be back! Crap. What is with me and this rap? Ratsssssssssss!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Selmik isn't going to escape anyone, especially not the Enforcement Consultants! And also the fact that Richard and Jack are on his tail and Selmik is prone and Richard is invisible to him.

Was a contract amount ever negotiated for saving the town?

Jay

Jay

You guys didn't ask about being paid.

So, is the official group name called "Enforcement Consultant Co?"

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You guys didn't ask about being paid.
I asked the group in the chat menu to determine this. Looks like we could be working for Dougans Hole for years, solving an undefined problem, possibly involving a Tarrasque for the handsome sum of 6 corn muffins!

Busting into the warehouse doesn't seem so bad now...just in case best do up some NPC stats for the town official in case Melchor gets twitchy :hmmm:

insight

Dathnor told the other to negotiate a fee as he only had interest in doing the right thing, whatever that is. In any event, Dathnor assumes that the others did that before coming to the docks. If they didn't, well, perhaps our reward will come in another form.

Gusto

Gusto

possibly involving a Tarrasque
Classic. :)

Jay

Jay

You guys need to make sure to discuss such matters when the time comes. Kevon believes you're doing this next to nothing! (you guys make poor bargainers)

I'll be uploading the file tonight, got some ideas on how to make the next session even more exciting (yes, more exciting than being attacked by a rat pack and getting filth fever) but it'll have to wait 2 weeks as next week there won't be a game due to my vacation. I promise to make up for it though.

Tarrasque? What Tarrasque? :sneaky:

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Music for your current battle, to keep your appetite going :

Dave

Dave

I think our main issue the other night is we have no defined leader willing to step up. The paladin is the natural choice but he felt he hadn't been with the group long enough to really step up and negotiate, which is good roleplaying. Ed doesn't do stuff like that because he's too easily led astray by lies. However, he tends to be a bit abrupt when stymied by things he can't hit which is why he finally said fuck it and broke in to the warehouse.

I think meta-gamingly that there were a few things that were rather dumb about the situation but I try not to bemoan things during the game as it's not constructive. The first is that this is a place where stuff is being stolen yet the six crates are being left outside instead of in the locked/barred warehouse? And even though we had been tramping around, the obviousness of the missing box with footprints leading away from the scene (I feel) would have been immediately noticeable considering we were all running around the area searching for stuff.

Anyway, at least I now know why I can't wear plate. Damned CON prereq...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well the leader role is something I intend for Richard to fulfill, just last night I couldn't dedicate my full attention to the game. We could RP the conversation here instead though. As to the boxes, we as a party jumped to the conclusion that a box was missing. Yes the manifest said 6 and 5 were in plain view, doesn't mean that the 6th is missing, just that it is not located with the other 5.

Jay

Jay

You don’t have to be leaders to speak up. I strongly support characters that don’t necessarily do things the conventional way. I like different personalities, especially those that do comedic relief and do sarcasm well. Maliciousness and thievery go well with me. I try to be as open as possible.

As far as the situation goes on the docks, everyone fudged their perception rolls, so they didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary (how would one automatically know how many and where the crates are). Without seeing anything peculiar, you wouldn’t necessarily notice the covered up tracks with your passives anyways. But if you asked (aka wanted to look for tracks) then that may be changed. I improvised as things went on, sure, you failed to open the door but you AXEd for a solution and that is good. Creativity FTW. And you got your answers and everything eventually came together. Truth be told, you were a few seconds short of missing this “quest” entirely.

Now you’re fighting the rat pack!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On the continent of Bazeroth.

Jay

Jay

Session's unedited recording : http://www.filefront.com/16127651/april14.vrf/

Drend Dragonspawn

Everybody just ignored what I said. Except the Law of Symmetry. I still giggle at that one.

Jay

Jay

It was a great comment. You should speak out some more. :)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You should all speak out. And don't treat anyone as the leader. In fact, your characters shouldn't respect each other in the slightest! That's how the two games I'm playing work and no one misses nothing. Working together is like communism, which never works, whereas everyone in-fighting is keeping up a competitive market of ideas between characters!

Jay

Jay

I have returned!

Drend Dragonspawn

I have returned!
Are you a Dragoon now?

insight

Looking forward to Wednesday night.

insight

I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. I've got a bad sinus infection and can't really talk or pay attention to stuff like I should. Good luck, all. Hope to see you next time.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

If you're still playing I might be listening in tonight while I do some homework. :)

Dave

Dave

I also find I have last minute crap taking me away. And besides, nobody is in the Vent anyway!

Drend Dragonspawn

Sorry all, I lost track of days. Thought it was Tuesday for some reason...

Jay

Jay

Let's see what we can do for next week. A few people no-showed, I took off early seeing how things were going to catch the Habs game.

insight

At least I didn't miss anything :sneaky:

Dave

Dave

I knew this would happen! I've been sitting around with nothing to do for MONTHS! Now that I'm in a game suddenly shit keeps popping up like .

I have a DJ meeting tonight.

insight

I *may* be doing a Cinco de Mayo thing tonight after work, so there's a chance I won't make it, or certainly, not at 7pm Eastern. I'll try to check in when I get home.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

And another one of Jay's games bites the dust. =|

Dave

Dave

I'M SORRY! It was the only time the bride/groom could meet!

Jay

Jay

Reliable people fail. :)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You should just run it with four people. Or three. Or even two. However many or few you get, run it anyway, show you can be that damn flexible, show the game is worth it, that it has strength. When the unreliable weed themselves out eventually, others will come in, hungering to get in on the continuing action.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Wait a second.

School's out.

I could play now. :|

:ninja:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
The Habs suck ass,
So where the fuck are you?

Cause I'm in Vent awaiting.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

You really oughtta just start running when you can. Poor H-g-glns is waiting all by his lonesome. :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I told him that now and I told him that when he started the game.

Jay

Jay

Pray tell, how many were in Vent?

Dave

Dave

I plan on being there Wednesday, by the way.

Jay

Jay

I seem to have lost a few players in the last few weeks. (e-mails/PM have gone out without any replies since early last week) As far as I know, I'm down to 3 players. Needless to state, recruiting new players every week gets old pretty fast. Don't count on a game on Weds, unless we get some reliable HFers in the game.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I loot their corpses and take their share of the gold.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Did you guys have a game last night?

Dave

Dave

So....game? No game?

Gusto

Gusto

Go Go Jay's Game.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He said on hiatus until further notice, but I'm not sure if he told anyone on the forum :p.

Dave

Dave

Well okay then. I think I'll try and get blown up in EvE then. Or play Gank-A-Horde in WoW. Whichever.