Insightful Op-Ed piece that explains why we need a draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Corporations didn't start getting powerful until after the mandatory draft ended and politicians were all businessmen and lawyers instead of soldiers and scientists. Not saying there's a correlation, but THERE'S A CORRELATION!

I think they should have a draft where if you choose not to be in an actual military unit, you could be posted in a state-side support position. If you didn't want to kill anyone that's completely cool. But the military teaches discipline and it would give people who would eventually be in public office have the knowledge of what a service actually is. I know it's not a popular opinion and I'm okay with that.

I'm also in favor of corporal punishment in schools. That's not popular, either.
Wait, you're in favor of a stranger hitting your child

I think they should have a draft where if you choose not to be in an actual military unit, you could be posted in a state-side support position. If you didn't want to kill anyone that's completely cool. But the military teaches discipline and it would give people who would eventually be in public office have the knowledge of what a service actually is. I know it's not a popular opinion and I'm okay with that.

I'm also in favor of corporal punishment in schools. That's not popular, either.

I honestly don't feel that discipline through violence is a good message to give to children. I don't have any kids myself, but I was a kid once, and I was never spanked growing up.

Now that I think about the free college and mandatory reserves a bit more, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't resolve some of our gun problems - everyone would receive a physical and mental health check. Now these aren't perfect, but they will probably catch a lot more people for issues that would prevent gun ownership than we are catching now.

But, honestly, I don't think it would ever happen. Just making this sort of thing mandatory is going to raise a significant privacy ruckus. "What, the government gets blood samples and fingerprints for every US citizen? Not on my watch!"

Now that I think about the free college and mandatory reserves a bit more, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't resolve some of our gun problems - everyone would receive a physical and mental health check. Now these aren't perfect, but they will probably catch a lot more people for issues that would prevent gun ownership than we are catching now.

But, honestly, I don't think it would ever happen. Just making this sort of thing mandatory is going to raise a significant privacy ruckus. "What, the government gets blood samples and fingerprints for every US citizen? Not on my watch!"
How exactly do you plan on funding this free college?

A draft is good for establishing a sizeable reserve of moderately trained personnel. A professional/volunteer force can normally be trained to high levels.

What I think it boils down to is what is most useful for the military defence of your country. If the security challenges you face call for a big reserve, a draft is a good option. If you are best served with a high-tech force requiring extensive training, volunteers may be better. Domestic politics and social engineering are very much secondary considerations in my opinion, and best kept as separate as possible from the running of military affairs. The more non-military aspects you saddle the armed forces with, the more you run the risk of ending up with a watered-down compromise military that doesn't fully satisfy any of the requirements.

Or at least those are my initial impressions on the matter.
Mandatory military service is a good way to weaken your modern military. Firstly, morale is terrible. Apart from the volunteer professional military people, no one in my company wanted to be there. No one. Everyone saw their military service as something to be endured, something to get over with. Psychological problems were common, including a few suicidal individuals. Discipline was as lax as they could get away with, because running a tighter ship would likely have caused even lower morale.
All the while it does up the numbers while maintaining reasonable costs. Which solution is better depends on the threat environment, I think.

I must say that my own experience with the finnish conscript military was not quite so bad as yours. Of the conscripts, there were a few people who liked being there, and a few who had significant problems with military life, but the attitude of most of the rest was pretty neutral and something akin to "well, we're here, so let's just get on with it". I personally found discipline and morale to be more of a factor of the leadership qualities of both the professional and conscript military leaders.
Secondly, the quality of the soldiers was pretty poor too. You've got guys who just graduated from university, guys who have spent the last four years sitting on their butts playing the latest Blizzard release. These guys can't do two pushups without cramping up, they can't run for more than five minutes without puking. They think firing a gun is like something out of Counterstrike, so not only can't they shoot straight, they're also so startled by how loud actual guns are, some of them actually started hyperventilating.
That's the thing with universal conscription, the troops start off being just as fit and well-adjusted to military life as the average young man on the street. Though I don't remember any truly hopeless cases; those probably went the conscientious objector route.
Thirdly, it doesn't really help with the disconnect between civilians and the military. All you've done is create a disconnect between the "voluntary" forces and the "involuntary" forces. To maintain Taiwan's military strength, the parts of the armed forces most likely to see combat are manned almost entirely by volunteer career troops. This means the majority of combat roles in the navy and air force are volunteers. The parts of the marine corps most likely to see combat are also mostly volunteers, if I'm not mistaken. This means the conscripts are mostly sent to the army, or non-combat roles in the navy and air force.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. Some 80% of finnish men have done their military service, which is one of the few things that they have in common. Whether you are a private or a general, you crawled through the same mud in boot camp, and everybody's neck is on the line if shit gets real. While I imagine the communal spirit is not quite what it may be in more exclusive clubs like the US Marines, I think it still exists, and regardless I believe the time spent in the military does give the conscript a greater understanding of and stake in military affairs.
If there is a gulf between the military and civilian populations in the US, I think it'd be a good idea to try to bridge it. But I highly doubt a draft is the right way to do it.
I agree entirely. If the draft is re-insituted, it should be done for military reasons, not socio-political ones.

I should emphasize that my post comes from a very subjective source, namely my own experiences, the things I saw, heard, and felt.

Not to mention, if there is a chance for the children of people in power to actually have to serve in a meaningful way (aka, front lines duty), there's less chance of going to war. Funny, that.

Not to mention, if there is a chance for the children of people in power to actually have to serve in a meaningful way (aka, front lines duty), there's less chance of going to war. Funny, that.
If Vietnam taught us anything, it's that those people won't be going to active combat even if there is a draft.

If Vietnam taught us anything, it's that those people won't be going to active combat even if there is a draft.

I think this is my primary issue with a draft. Unless you can ensure that the rich and powerful don't get exempt, a draft is just a meat-grinder for questionable military actions.

I think this is my primary issue with a draft. Unless you can ensure that the rich and powerful don't get exempt, a draft is just a meat-grinder for questionable military actions.
Sadly as it stands now it's the only viable option for the poor.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nothing is quicker and cleaner than a neutron bomb. It will speed up the gentrification of urban areas by seven times...
Actually I was very disappointed when I learned that neutron bombs are not quite what had been described to me - a device that kills all life with no explosion to damage buildings or infrastructure - they still cause nuclear blasts, just in the kiloton range instead of megaton.

fade

Staff member
I honestly don't feel that discipline through violence is a good message to give to children. I don't have any kids myself, but I was a kid once, and I was never spanked growing up.

I don't spank because of personal experience. My dad spanked, my mom grounded. Spanking was scary, but I preferred it because it was done and over with. It didn't feel like much of a deterrent. It didn't have any lasting effects. Grounding though--I wasn't afraid of it per se, but I dreaded it, and I never forgot it.

I don't spank because of personal experience. My dad spanked, my mom grounded. Spanking was scary, but I preferred it because it was done and over with. It didn't feel like much of a deterrent. It didn't have any lasting effects. Grounding though--I wasn't afraid of it per se, but I dreaded it, and I never forgot it.
Firstly, different punishments suit different children differently. Secondly, this also partially applies simply to age. Spanking a 16-year-old is beyond useless, while trying toground a 6 -month-old is equally nonsensical.

There are alternatives both ways; personally, I tend to think that, in a lot of cases, especially with small children, a short sharp rap on the hand or something similar is far and away the easiest way to inform them they're doing something wrong (as in, trying to touch the stove, slap their hand away, feel pain, don't try to touch the stove again). Once they're old enough to reason with (say, 4 or 5), spanking or whatever loses much of its use - and there are always exceptions and extremes both ways.

That said, grounding never felt like punishment to me. I didn't have tv or computer in my room, and occasionally my parents even took away my books and, in the end, my light, and I was still perfectly content to sit in my room all by myself for 8 hours on end. Of course, I may not have been the average kid :p

GasBandit

Staff member

Spank to firmly, unconditionally get their attention, followed by grounding/timeout to make sure it sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.