[News] in an uncharacteristic move: U.S. gov restored my faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... how about them religious freedoms?

If we are going to turn this thread into another vehicle for Charlie special snow flakiness, we should just lock it already.

What's even funnier is that I think a ton of us agree with Charlie on a lot of things - I certainly do.

I'm just not purer-than-thou about it.

What's even funnier is that I think a ton of us agree with Charlie on a lot of things - I certainly do.

I'm just not purer-than-thou about it.
This is actually my biggest issue with Charlie. He weakens our positions many times by lumping his crazy ass shit in with actually valid and well rationed out points.

If you're an asshole who's right, people aren't going to remember that you were right, they' re going to remember that you were an asshole.

Just sayin'.

If you're an asshole who's right, people aren't going to remember that you were right, they' re going to remember that you were an asshole.

Just sayin'.
Unfortunately he's not right as often as you all are remembering unless you've forgotten his stance on our police force, our military and just about every other stance he has. It's not that he's trying to come off as right, it's he goes overboard.

It's not:
-There are a few corrupt cops but there are definitely more of the good ones.-

it's
-All cops are corrupt and evil, the entire country is a police state, better not be black or they'll hang you from the nearest tree.-

and it's only later when confronted by an actual member of the police force (from our own community)

he'll say:
-Oh there's a few good ones.-

Which in the end makes him so funny.

My sister told him he was a dumbshit/wrong about everything all the time and she was all 3 minorities. I used to think he was one too till I realized the comedy of how he sees the world through his eyes. Then it just got sad/funny.

Oh and the best part? He's all 3 of the majority that's -wrong with society- right now. :rofl: See? Comedy gold.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have no idea what that means and don't care enough to look it up. Next time find an insult I'll understand, Obscurous Insulticous.
That's ok. Somebody got it, and you didn't. That's like 2 chuckles for the price of one.

And any American over 25 really should get it without having to look for it.

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember what the name was. I did lol when I looked it up though, then recriminated myself for not remembering he was the teacher from Beavis and Butthead.

As to GB, he's not nearly as out of touch with reality as Charlie is. I disagree with his points, but at least he makes points rather than screaming like a howler monkey.

As to GB, he's not nearly as out of touch with reality as Charlie is. I disagree with his points, but at least he makes points rather than screaming like a howler monkey.
What has been so out of touch with reality in this thread? Basically all I said was I oppose drone strikes/the US military in the middle east, the death penalty(and the racism within in the United States), and just pointed out white/male privilege exists.

edit: and disabled people's rights

I can't think of a single time you've actually suggested any solutions to the issues you bring up. You just ineffectually bitch about them. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're as impotent about your activisim in your real life as you are here.

I may bitch about gay rights issues, but I'm doing something about it through community education and am actually persuing a degree that will help shed light on the reasons that people can be provoked to violent ends and how to avoid it. What exactly are you doing?

I can't think of a single time you've actually suggested any solutions to the issues you bring up. You just ineffectually bitch about them. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're as impotent about your activisim in your real life as you are here.
Firstly, this.
Secondly, Charlie, in defending right and good and noble causes, you very often fall into the trap of going towards the other extreme. Instead of trying to find a compromise, or trying to explain to someone why or how you think their reaction/view is wrong, you often posit things that are just as far out as what the "other side" is saying - and often just attack or defend yourself with "nuh-uh". You're ranting/yelling instead of convincing.
Some people here have actually made me change my mind on some matters, or at the very least re-evaluate my position. You never have - because if someone doesn't agree with you, you don't try to reason, you judge and condemn. Try asking the other side for why they feel the way they do. Instead of shouting, say, "all guns everywhere should always be banned for everyone", you might be better off saying "guns should be strictly regulated and only available to people after long and hard psychological tests and a 3 month waiting period, and even so, only for police and army and hunters have to store their guns at the police station" (or whatever). The first is, in actual fact, impossible and useless. The second is theoretically feasible, though unlikely (in the US). You'll never convince GasBandit, of course, but you might be able to sway someone like, say PatrThom, who does have guns and is in favour, but still open minded enough to debate how or why or what c an be done to keep the world safe.

Anyway, I'm going off course....Err, you're debating "to be right" instead of debating "to change minds". As long as you do, the "other side" will have an easy time ignoring you or mocking you, and the people on the fence will find you just as much a dogmatic idiot who won't even listen to the other side as Invader and either ignore you, mock you, or be actively pushed towards the other side by opposing you.

I can't think of a single time you've actually suggested any solutions to the issues you bring up.
Abolish the death penalty, pull out all troops/drones from the Middle East, legalize drugs, police reform.

I didn't realize I had to report to you guys everything I do regarding each issue to be able to have an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.