[Movies] I'm starting an Amazing Spider-Man 2 thread and no one can stop me

Saw "Amazing" Spider-man 2.

I hate this fucking movie. I fucking hate it.

I don't know if anyone's touched on this much in this thread, but the soundtrack is the God damn worst thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Saw "Amazing" Spider-man 2.

I hate this fucking movie. I fucking hate it.

I don't know if anyone's touched on this much in this thread, but the soundtrack is the God damn worst thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I thought the villain's motivation was horrible.
"YOU FORGOT MY NAME!??!?!?!? RRAAAWWRRRRRRRR!!!!

It had a really cheesy Batman 3, Jim Carrey feeel. Spider-man 3 villains had more depth, and that's not saying much.

Brad Jones made a point that if they had shown any sort of concealed darkness in the character beforehand, lingering mental or psychological issues, it would've made sense that that would set him off on an internal crisis motivation/lashing out, but that he seemed pretty happy prior to the incident.

Favorite line from that review: "I feel like I just watched The Amazing Spider-man 2, 3, and 4 crammed into one movie."

I thought the villain's motivation was horrible.
"YOU FORGOT MY NAME!??!?!?!? RRAAAWWRRRRRRRR!!!!

It had a really cheesy Batman 3, Jim Carrey feeel. Spider-man 3 villains had more depth, and that's not saying much.
YOU DIDN'T GIVE YOUR BLOOD DESPITE THE FACT THAT I KNOW NOW THAT IF YOU HAD THESE EFFECTS I AM CURRENTLY SUFFERING WOULD HAVE ONLY OCCURRED SOONER!

I thought it was all right. I still like the Amazing Spider-Man better than the Tobey Maguire version. The new films don't have that "9/11 just happened" vibe that creeped in the first trilogy (eg. American flags everywhere).

I thought it was all right. I still like the Amazing Spider-Man better than the Tobey Maguire version. The new films don't have that "9/11 just happened" vibe that creeped in the first trilogy (eg. American flags everywhere).
Oh, I forgot about that. Yeah, that was a bit cheesy. Although, when I was praising the first Amazing Spider-man, my wife pointed out that most of the good things I said were in comparing it to the Tobey Maguire ones, so I have to wonder how I'd actually feel about it if those movies hadn't come first.

I don't remember that being a thing other than this which I took to be intentionally cheesy.

To be fair, there are the cheesy "new yorkers take care of each other in a crisis" scenes in every Spider-Man movie. It was particularly heavy handed in SM 1 and 2, probably because it was so soon after the twin towers fell. I still remember the commercial they had to pull of the helicopter being caught in a web between the twin towers.

To be fair, there are the cheesy "new yorkers take care of each other in a crisis" scenes in every Spider-Man movie. It was particularly heavy handed in SM 1 and 2, probably because it was so soon after the twin towers fell. I still remember the commercial they had to pull of the helicopter being caught in a web between the twin towers.
Actually, I rewatched Spider-Man 2 recently. While there are moments like that and a few others that don't hold up as well, the film itself is still great as a whole. Interesting to consider in comparison with the recent Amazing Spider-Man films, where there are moments and elements I did like, but the whole products just are not good.

I still love both the original Spider-Man movies. I have no idea why people say they don't hold up well. I'm inclined to think that disliking them has become an almost hipster-ish thing to do. I think Sam Rami understood the core concept of Spider-Man far more than Webb.

Their doing that in ASM was so out of place.

Actually, I rewatched Spider-Man 2 recently. While there are moments like that and a few others that don't hold up as well, the film itself is still great as a whole. Interesting to consider in comparison with the recent Amazing Spider-Man films, where there are moments and elements I did like, but the whole products just are not good.
They had some cheese for it in Spider-man 2, but I liked the end of the train scene when Doc Oc shows up to take Spider-man. Everyone apes the bridge scene from the previous scene, standing up for Spider-man ... and he just shoves them all aside.

I should watch that movie again. I've been putting it off because I'm worried it won't be as good as I remember, but you're the second person this weekend saying it still holds up, so I suppose I should pop in the DVD and find out for myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1399339974,1399339931][/DOUBLEPOST]
I still love both the original Spider-Man movies. I have no idea why people say they don't hold up well. I'm inclined to think that disliking them has become an almost hipster-ish thing to do. I think Sam Rami understood the core concept of Spider-Man far more than Webb.
To be fair, Webb's been handed a lot of shitty instructions by the producers. Raimi didn't do so hot when that happened to him either.

The Spider-Man/Doc Ock fights are still probably the best superhero/villain fights I've ever seen put to film. That includes any of the new Marvel movies. But, we've pretty much established that I'm biased as all hell.[DOUBLEPOST=1399340238,1399340107][/DOUBLEPOST]You know what the biggest tragedy of ASM2 is to me? That's the best looking Spidey costume ever.

I still really like Spider-Man 2. The other two are still good, but the first has not aged as well for me and the third is just flawed.

Sort of my main issue with Spider-Man 2 is the whole idea of Peter's powers fading due to confidence issues. I prefer how it was handled in the comics originally, wherein Peter is so frustrated with the problems in his life that come from being Spider-Man that he makes the voluntary choice to give up being Spider-Man, only to realize the full importance of him being a hero and then resume his duty. Having his powers fading in and out...feels kind of dumb to me personally.

That said, I still think Spider-Man 2 is really good and has a lot going for it, particularly how they handle Dr. Octopus.

He has had instances in the comics where his powers have gone on the fritz, but yes, it's always a stronger story when he willingly makes the sacrifice to live a normal life, only to regret it later on.[DOUBLEPOST=1399340501,1399340393][/DOUBLEPOST]God willing they never do the "I'm the Spider" storylines.

I can still impersonate Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin voice from Spider-Man, so that, if no other reason, will be why I like it. But S2 is clearly better/more fun.

Best Spider-Man movie so far.

Electro and Rhino have always come across as minor annoyances to Spider-Man. None of those could stand toe to toe with Spider-Man, which is they they team up. Because of this, I have no issue with how easily he dealt with Electro once he got a feel for fighting him, how quickly he subdues the GG, and how quickly Rhino is dealt with. I went in fearing that they'd try to shoehorn three villains in and I was pleased as punch to find out that they didn't.

Sure, there were plot threads that either weren't picked up or weren't fleshed out. I can accept that. The core of the movie for me was there and I enjoy the shit out of it.

My friend, his, and I talked to people in line. They were expecting cinematic gold. So many people have lost sight of the fact that this is a comic movie. The source material isn't always the strongest. Hell, I'd say that there's probably more crap in a comic series than good moments, like any season of most TV shows. Nostalgia feeds expectations for comic movies. Sure, writers misstep, directors have to deal with studio mingling, but, man, we've been treated to some REALLY, REALLY badass moments over the last 15 years of comic movies.

Maybe I'm too simple of a movie goer, but I just want to have fun for 2 hours and, by God, TASM2 delivered.

All that being said, I've way overhyped Godzilla and I can't wait to be so incredibly disappointed by that here in two weeks.

I'll agree with what you're saying on audience expectations in the sense that we have been spoiled these past few years with comic book movies that had it all--great characters, actor chemistry, solid plots, sequels that carry on the stories, intelligent themes, etc. Some were different from each other (The Avengers and The Dark Knight have opposite tones, for example) we have been spoiled rotten as of recent.

Something I've heard from several online reviewers on ASM2 is "there are parts I loved and parts I really hated". We got used to getting most of it, so that when a movie like this comes out where it sounds like half and half, even if half of its elements are loved, they're not enough.

I honestly still love DeFoe as green goblin. GG is supposed to be over the top insane. I just wish they had gone with the mask that we've all seen by now and thought that people were crazy for not using it.

NORMAN OSBORN is cold and calculating. Green Goblin is an insane loon.

I honestly still love DeFoe as green goblin. GG is supposed to be over the top insane. I just wish they had gone with the mask that we've all seen by now and thought that people were crazy for not using it.

NORMAN OSBORN is cold and calculating. Green Goblin is an insane loon.
I thought he was great in both roles, but the costume was just kind of silly looking. His GG was fantastic and I don't think anyone's going to play it better.

Spider-Man 2: That one movie where the villain wants to question Peter Parker about where Spider-Man is... by throwing a car at him.

Spider-Man 2: That one movie where the villain wants to question Peter Parker about where Spider-Man is... by throwing a car at him.
Yeah, he wouldn't have survived that if he wasn't Spider-man.

*Doc Oc walks into wrecked cafe*

Doc Oc: ... oops.

Tentacles: you cant question him when he's dead graft tentacles to him that will make him live tentacles solve everything it's okay your wife is dead so long as you have tentaclesssssss

Doc Oc: Yeah, good thinking. Thanks, tentacles.

Tentacles: you cant question him when he's dead graft tentacles to him that will make him live tentacles solve everything it's okay your wife is dead so long as you have tentaclesssssss
I read that in the voice of Professor Toothy.
(Warning: This gets really fucked up near the 2:00 mark. But you'll get the idea long before that.)

Just got back from seeing it. I didn't think it was that bad. In fact, I thought it was better than the first. Though the first was average at best, so it was a noted improvement. GREAT special effects, though, I must say. The action sequences were spectacular. They felt more like Spider-Man than any previous movie, honestly. No complaints there at all. Also, I like that this Spidey has a bit more fun during action sequences. The fireman stuff cracked me up. It's unfortunate that it doesn't translate to any OTHER time Peter does or says anything in the movie, though (save for some banter with Gwen). Though I did like that he at least tried talking his way out of fights instead of just barrelling in, web-shooting.

Honestly, my biggest beef was its run time. It felt like they were trying to stuff in too much in. The Goblin stuff, for example, felt really rushed. On par with Venom being rushed in Spider-Man 3. It was kinda like "Well, we have this big, iconic moment from the comics. I guess we HAVE to put the Goblin in there." That whole bit felt rushed, honestly, basically all just to set up THAT scene. Which, while done well, I don't know why they had to change how the circumstances from the comics.

Like, the pieces were all in place for her to die by her body/neck snapping from the webbing, but instead they did this lame thud against the floor, which I don't think was as effective.

I did, however, like how and why Electro teamed up with Harry. It tied in with Max's story, clumsy as it was.

The stuff at the end with Rhino felt rushed, as well, but I kinda dug how it bookended with the opening action sequence. As soon as their fight was about to begin, I thought "Yup, they're doing the Rocky ending. Credits will roll just as they're about to slam into each other." And I was right. And I was okay with that. Rhino, as much as he's one of my favourite villains, isn't really one that deserves his own movie all to himself. He's not - nor has he ever - been a complex enough character. That's part of his charm. So the way they used him in the movie was effective.

So yeah, overall, I dug it. It's most definitely not without its faults (the reveal of Peter's connection with his father was dumb, even if it kind of made sense within the context of the story), but it had some GREAT action sequences and felt more like a Spidey movie than others before it.

It was about as much a spoiler as the identity of the Winter Soldier. If you've ever read Spider-Man, you knew what was going to happen.