[Movies] I'm starting an Amazing Spider-Man 2 thread and no one can stop me

That's very true.

Nonetheless, I totally called it! :D
I don't think you can "call" something that's been established canon for 41 years. That's like saying in 1997, "They're making a Titantic movie? That ship is totally going to sink!...Called it!"

I thought it was a little cool / slick how the film opens on a shot of Mr. Parker's watch slowly ticking, and the climax takes place in a clock tower.

There's a reason I felt to fear about opening spoilers in this thread.

Well, that and I've already pre-judged the movie as hot garbage before seeing a single frame of it.

I still think Maguire was better suited for Peter Parker. In the comics, Parker was an outcast, a dork, and hanging out with him was social suicide. Maguire never seemed to know what to do with himself around his peers(whether is was an acting choice or just coincidence), but his awkwardness made it apparent why he was an outcast. Garfield, though a talented actor, is too pretty and too confident to be believed as an outcast. People don't like him because he... photographs? Skateboards? Wears fairly fashionable clothes? Has some interest in science? It doesn't make any sense why he'd be isolated.

I think Garfield did a better job as the witty wise cracking Spider-Man under the mask, but I think Toby was the better Peter Parker.

Maguire may have looked more the part, but Garfield's awkward teen acting was far better and more genuine that Maguire's IMO, who acted fairly unnaturally and rather offputting. Admittedly, I haven't seen ASM2 yet, but I can't see how Garfield's Peter can really be called too confident.

I think Garfield did a better job as the witty wise cracking Spider-Man under the mask, but I think Toby was the better Peter Parker.
Yep, I can agree with that. It's like the various Batman actors over the years have been better at one role or the other. Clooney may have stunk as Batman, but he was arguably the best Bruce Wayne until Bale.

Maguire may have looked more the part, but Garfield's awkward teen acting was far better and more genuine that Maguire's IMO, who acted fairly unnaturally and rather offputting. Admittedly, I haven't seen ASM2 yet, but I can't see how Garfield's Peter can really be called too confident.
That scene might have been pretty good, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the other times he wasn't anywhere near as awkward...

In the comics, Parker was an outcast, a dork, and hanging out with him was social suicide.
Hey, look, an original first 3 years fan...

As i recall once he started college it was more about the fact that he was always worried about his aunt and spider stuff that made others think he's ignoring them because he thinks he's better then them, which is why he was an outcast...

which is why he was an outcast...
... hanging out with Flash Tompson, Harry Osborne, his girlfriend Gwen Stacy, and Mary Jane Watson.

The great thing about Peter Parker is in High School he's pretending to be the cool, chilled, wise cracking Spider-Man, as he gets older he very much becomes what he was pretending to be.

As i recall once he started college it was more about the fact that he was always worried about his aunt and spider stuff that made others think he's ignoring them because he thinks he's better then them, which is why he was an outcast...
That's kinda my point. Peter's supposed to be a guy that's not to good at social mores. It's not that he doesn't have good priorities, but he's not the kind of guy you'd expect at weekend parties. You wouldn't really think to look at him twice, and most likely assume you could just push him around (see: Jameson). He's a guy you'd never in a million years would guess in the wise-cracking Spider-Man. Toby Maguire has that look in every role he plays.

Garfield gives of more of a loner, trying to be James Dean type-of-vibe. You'd expect girls to pin pictures of him on their walls. If he pulled a Tony Stark and said "I am Spider-Man!", people would go"....okay, I can see it." Toby Maguire gets up and says "I am Spider-Man!" and people would laugh. To me, it feels like in order to differentiate themselves from the first 3 films, they lost a little of Peter's core essence. I don't hate Garfield in the role, but I do miss that part of Peter Parker.

... hanging out with Flash Tompson, Harry Osborne, his girlfriend Gwen Stacy, and Mary Jane Watson.
Funny you should mention that:

And some more context: http://www.comicscube.com/2014/04/gwen-stacy-and-challenges-of-comic-book.html

Garfield gives of more of a loner, trying to be James Dean type-of-vibe. You'd expect girls to pin pictures of him on their walls.
It's funny, but the first issue with Gwen Stacy she gets into him because he's ignoring her...

Not really, that's pretty well representative of him in social scenarios.
Maybe, but people still remember the skater thing much easier...

I think honest trailers said it best when it came to Garfield's portrayal.

"Peter Parker was just an attractive, intelligent, likeable, athletic, well-dressed, teenage loser."

My issue with him was that Peter Parker always had this duel identity to him like Superman or Batman. With Spider-Man, the reason he wise cracked was because he was timid when it came to his real life. He didn't crack jokes at J.J.J as Peter Parker, he just did what he was told like a good photographer, even when his pictures were openly attacking his super-identity 90% of the time. He got out his frustrations on that by making fun of his enemies. The mask gave him the ability to be witty without feeling awkwardly embarrassed about it.

I still think Garfield did a great job, but his Peter is way more quirky but attractive then dorky and awkward, and the chemistry him and Gwen had actually made me cringe a bit because it seemed too perfect for someone like Peter to get right out the gate in the first film.

Maybe, but people still remember the skater thing much easier...
I think it's more that Garfield is a better looking guy than Maguire than the skating.

I think honest trailers said it best when it came to Garfield's portrayal.

"Peter Parker was just an attractive, intelligent, likeable, athletic, well-dressed, teenage loser."

My issue with him was that Peter Parker always had this duel identity to him like Superman or Batman. With Spider-Man, the reason he wise cracked was because he was timid when it came to his real life. He didn't crack jokes at J.J.J as Peter Parker, he just did what he was told like a good photographer, even when his pictures were openly attacking his super-identity 90% of the time. He got out his frustrations on that by making fun of his enemies. The mask gave him the ability to be witty without feeling awkwardly embarrassed about it.
Sounds like Garfield's portrayal to me. Do I need to link to him being awkward and barely able to talk to a pretty girl again?

Sounds like Garfield's portrayal to me. Do I need to link to him being awkward and barely able to talk to a pretty girl again?
That was quirky, not awkward. You look at Gwen in that scene and she is smiling at how cute he is, not going "Oh man what... why is this guy stuttering so much. So embarrassing...".

That was quirky, not awkward. You look at Gwen in that scene and she is smiling at how cute he is, not going "Oh man what... why is this guy stuttering so much. So embarrassing...".
If a love interest being into them means they're not awkward, than neither actor did an awkward Peter Parker, both won the girl. Some people do find awkward people cute, that doesn't make them not socially awkward.

Quirky = someone that's awkward, but attractive.
"Shrug" then I guess I just want him entirely awkward.

If a love interest being into them means they're not awkward, than neither actor did an awkward Peter Parker, both won the girl. Some people do find awkward people cute, that doesn't make them not socially awkward.
At no early point in the first movie was it showing MJ interested in Peter as relationship material, not until the end when she realized he was always there for her did she realize she liked him. She dated Flash, Harry, and even made out with Spider-Man because they were athletic, successful, or heroic. Peter was the friend zone.

Peter was that awkward friend you know kind of likes you, but then he follows you down to the backyard while you take out the trash and try to call you pretty but does it in a way that makes you just run to your boyfriends car and get the hell out of there. That is awkward.

In Amazing Spider-Man, I never got that impression. Gwen and Garfield had so much chemistry that you knew 100% they were both into each other the minute they get on screen together.

At no early point in the first movie was it showing MJ interested in Peter as relationship material, not until the end when she realized he was always there for her did she realize she liked him. She dated Flash, Harry, and even made out with Spider-Man.

Peter was that awkward friend you know kind of likes you, but then he follows you down to the backyard while you take out the trash and try to call you pretty but does it in a way that makes you just run to your boyfriends car and get the hell out of there. That is awkward.
Someone being so weird they scare you like that goes past "awkward" and hits "creepy". That's how Tobey did it, but I haven't seen a comics/animated version of Peter that played it that way. Speaking as a formerly nerdy, socially awkward (but not creepy) teen, Garfield hit that nail on the head so hard I felt sympathy pains for him.

Someone being so weird they scare you like that goes past "awkward" and hits "creepy". That's how Tobey did it, but I haven't seen a comics/animated version of Peter that played it that way. Speaking as a formerly nerdy, socially awkward (but not creepy) teen, Garfield hit that nail on the head so hard I felt sympathy pains for him.
I don't know, I think you were not as socially awkward as you think you were.

I was a very socially awkward teen, who was more geeky then nerdy and had very little friends outside a small gamer group no one else liked, and Garfield was one of those "cool" kids that would be in the skater click hanging out down at the Ralphs parking lot mostly being a bit broody rather then universally disliked. He was way to "cool for school" even when other kids were attempting to make fun of him in the film.

I guess this is just one of those cases where we have different ideas of what makes someone awkward, because if you can walk up to a girl and stutter a bit and yet still get her to adore you in the first few minutes of getting to know her, I don't really see that as awkward, that is just being a shy but attractive teenager in general.

P.S. As I feel I am arguing something I really shouldn't, let me just close and say I enjoyed Garfield portrayal as the character. It's not like I hate him or anything. I just feel Toby was the better version of how I imagined Peter, while Garfield was better at how I imagined Spider-Man. I though Toby did a very weak Spider-Man because he was too wooden to pull off a lot of the wit. Both have ups and downs.

Last edited:
I don't know, I think you were not as socially awkward as you think you were.

I was a very socially awkward teen, who was more geeky then nerdy and had very little friends outside a small gamer group no one else liked, and Garfield was one of those "cool" kids that would be in the skater click hanging out down at the Ralphs parking lot mostly being a bit broody rather then universally disliked. We was way to "cool for school" even when other kids were attempting to make fun of him in the film.

I guess this is just one of those cases where we have different ideas of what makes someone awkward, because if you can walk up to a girl and stutter a bit and yet still get her to adore you in the first few minutes of getting to know her, I don't really see that as awkward, that is just being a shy but attractive teenager in general.
I guess it is, because I didn't see Garfield acting "cool" at all, though I do need to correct you as that scene wasn't within a few minutes of knowing her, that was after he got spider powers and was following him showing up Flash in front of everyone.

I guess it is, because I didn't see Garfield acting "cool" at all, though I do need to correct you as that scene wasn't within a few minutes of knowing her, that was after he got spider powers and was following him showing up Flash in front of everyone.
I was exaggerating slightly, but there was still that little spark of connection between them since the beginning when we first see them interact or look at each other, I do remember that because it caught me off guard how "into" each other they seemed to already be.

Still hate Garfield's portrayal.

I don't know who that guy is that he's playing, but he's not Spider-Man and he's DEFINITELY not Peter Parker.

I agree with a good chunk of what Celt has said. For me, Toby was great in the role because he oozed dorky awkwardness. He also really pulled off the overall put-uppon-ness of the character.

Ehhhh... I think he felt a little more suburban than Queens (which, given the fact he spent most of his life in England, I'll give a pass). If you really went authentic "nerdy kid from Queens", he'd probably be Asian or Hispanic, at least for the past 20 years.