Export thread

I'm starting an Amazing Spider-Man 2 thread and no one can stop me

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can't wait for this to make $250 Million opening weekend and win every Oscar and have everyone crying and coming up to me and saying "you were right, it is the best and most important movie ever*"

*until Amazing Spider-Man 3 or Venom or Sinister Six or the Aunt May spinoff or whatever comes next

all joking aside I'm hype as hell and I'm treating myself to a nice dinner before getting in line to get the perfect IMAX 3D seat tonight

mikerc

mikerc

If I was a mod I'd so be trolling you by locking this thread after reading that title.

But seriously hope you enjoy the movie.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I hope you enjoy it, Charlie. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on it. Thanks for starting this thread, anyway. I was debating whether to start one or not tonight after I catch the movie at 7 PM.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

If I was a mod I'd so be trolling you by locking this thread after reading that title.

But seriously hope you enjoy the movie.
I actually realized right after I posted it "shit, a mod could really easily stop me and it would be hilarious"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I also hope you have a good time, Charlie.

I still think the movie's gonna be a piece of shit, but I'd rather be wrong.

Covar

Covar

Reading through some reviewer blurbs on Rotten Tomatoes, this seems like a maybe. If I don't see it in theaters it's a rental for sure.

On the other hand, I might just go see winter soldier. I still haven't watched that yet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, this movie broke poor Moviebob. Of course, he had an odd complete hatred of the first movie on par with @Bowielee. I still feel like at least a third of Bob's hatred is because the movies are being made only so Sony can keep the rights.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...ng-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob

Frank

Frank

I'm not a fan of the first movie but this one is written by Orci and Kurtzman, so my imagining is the dialog will be like nails on a chalkboard for me and even if every other thing in the movie is done well, they'll manage to make it unwatchable.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On the other hand, I might just go see winter soldier. I still haven't watched that yet.
Go see that.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, I just got back. While it is technically just a "meh" response from me, my total response is that I dislike this film. A lot of the writing (as mentioned, it was by Orci and Kurtzman) feels hackneyed and disjointed, with rough dialogue and plot threads and elements that sort of jump around or conflict. For example, though they give a presence to Felicia Hardy (who is serving as Harry Osborn's assistant), she just sort of disappears from the film. Similarly, they try to do with will-they-or-won't-they dynamic with Gwen and Peter of if they'll stay together or not, but their dialogue just doesn't do them any favors. Good thing Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have good chemistry, or this may have failed.

Regarding the villains, there is a range of quality. The one most suffering is Harry, who's just written as nasty right off the bat with very little real empathy. Sure, he's suffering from a genetic disease that Norman also has, but that is not enough. At least Electro has something of a good idea, if flawed in its execution. I like the concept of showing him as this guy who is a nobody who winds up getting incredible power, but then lashes out at a world that ends up seeing him as a monster. That could have been good, if it weren't for him pre-transformation being shown as overly nerdy and out there (like a stereotype of a nerd, with pants pulled a little high up, big glasses, and a terrible combover) and then post-transformation, he gets a little too quickly on the "A God Am I" train. Really the only one who I ended being okay with was Aleksei Sytsevich (better known as the Rhino). Though I'm not wild about the look of the Rhino armor, his appearance early on captures the basic core of him: barrel in, smash stuff up, then fight Spider-Man. Also, it at least looked like Paul Giamatti had a fun time hamming it up as a Russian mafia thug.

Now, here there be spoilers:
Among the many missteps in the writing, the worst to me is that I feel they took some of the edge out of Gwen Stacy's death. The original moment has so much power in it, because it seemed like Spider-Man had saved her, only to find that the rate of which his webbing became taut caused severe whiplash and broke her neck. Here, while we do see the webbing become taut fast and some whiplash, she also hits the hard ground of a clock tower at the same time. That takes some of the blame off Parker and robs the moment of its power.

Also, it still feels like they're rushing way too fast towards the Sinister Six. Although with Harry Osborn becoming the Green Goblin near the end of this film and the reveal of Gustav Fiers (from the Sinister Six novels) as the guy pulling the strings, they showcase numerous pieces of tech for the Six coming from OsCorp. In fact, it seems like all villains shall come from OsCorp, which considering that Sony's basically trying to make their own little Spider-Man movie universe, severely shrinks their universe and keeps it too small for what they want to do.

Now, I know I've had a lot of negative criticisms, but it was not all bad. As I mentioned before, I enjoyed Paul Giamatti's brief turn as Aleksei Sytsevich and the chemistry between Andrew and Emma still works. The opening chase sequence with Aleksei was good and the Times Square battle with Electro was really good (and also had character elements of Electro that I wish they did more with). Little moments like Peter Parker trying to change his webbing to deal with electricity were good, but they were just little moments among a lot of bad.

In short, though my technical response is "meh", I do not like what this film stands for. It stands for a severe misunderstanding of Spider-Man and just an attempt to milk a cash cow in a poor fashion. At least now I have a clear view of what's to come and that I won't spend my money on the next Spider-Man films and the spin-offs. I advise doing the same and staying away. Sorry for my rambling, but I just wanted to get my thoughts on it out of my system.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Pray tell, share us YOUR opinion then, Charles.

Espy

Espy

I actually realized right after I posted it "shit, a mod could really easily stop me and it would be hilarious"
I thought the title was hilarious.

And while I will see this movie my expectations aren't high. Not because I think it will be bad, but because I just generally don't expect a ton from super hero flicks. The first was fine but not, ahem, "amazing".[DOUBLEPOST=1399038012,1399037891][/DOUBLEPOST]I agree with Nick, I'd like to see Charlies critical eye of Sauron turned towards this film with a serious review.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

forgive me my "one minute after credits rolled youtube review/response". I have 1200 words here:

http://letterboxd.com/neoraven/film/the-amazing-spider-man-2/

Alright, I'll do a non-spoiler version, maybe a spoiler one later (maybe after I see it a second time???)-

Within 5 minutes of credits rolling, I was incredibly satisfied with this movie and I'll try to tell you why-

* Every scene with Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield plays like it's from a different, much better romantic comedy. This sounds like it's a criticism, but there are A LOT of scenes that are just Stone and Garfield being adorable and elevating the material.

* Dane DeHaan pretty much jumps off the screen. His performance is ELECTRIC (sorry Jaime Foxx ((more on him later)) ). I was often reminded of Jack Nicholson as The Joker with some of his facial expression and zeal playing him. Also, I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this but he also really reminds me of a young Leonardo DiCaprio. I saw shades of Jordan Belfort in his performance as malevolent rich-kid Harry Osborne. Last comparison, and the most-stretching one - he's the best comic book movie villain since Heath Ledger's Joker. This seems like a small compliment, but there have been a LOT of superhero movies since The Dark Knight.

* This movie gets the joy of webslinging. Not that previous movies made it look boring by any stretch! But it makes the genuine joy of flying through the air come across pretty well. Any complaints about "bad CGI" are people with an axe to grind, because I couldn't see anything wrong with the effects.

* Also - the joy of Spider-Man. Oh, this movie gives good quips. It seems juvenile on paper, but I loved him calling Electro "sparkles", and pretty much every light-hearted interaction with crooks in the movie.

* Body FUCKING horror. This movie rivals Sam Raimi's masterful Dr. Octopus origin scene with a couple good scenes showing just how horrific it is to be mutated and become some crazy fucked up radioactive supersoldier / force of electricity / whatever. While this isn't exactly David Cronenberg's Spider-Man (holy shit I would give anything to see THAT movie), I still really liked these couple parts.

* The criticisms of this movie cramming the whole Peter / Harry friendship and background into one movie are a little valid. However, I think the chemistry between DeHaan and Garfield largely was able to get around that. I got vibes of Garfield and Eisenberg's doomed friendship from The Social Network in a couple of their scenes together (Although the roles were slightly swapped... this is nice, poor guy and mean rich guy instead of nice rich guy and bitter poor guy... I digress). Now I won't give the script THAT much credit here at all, but it did a decent job of working his absence from the last movie into the motivation / plot of what's going down now.

* SCIENCE! I fucking love science, and I love when Spider-Man uses science. Spider-Man outsmarting villains is so much more satisfying than Superman just throwing someone through 70 buildings. It's a mild negative that this series slightly downplays the "Peter is a genius" thing, but there are some pretty decent moments in that regard here.

* ACTION! Slightly an offshoot of the "joy of webslinging" part above - the fight and flight scenes in here are really a step up above the last. Partly because Electro and Goblin are more interesting villains as far as powers and doing crazy shit to Spider-Man / around Spider-Man. The Times Square part is pretty visually stunning and all the hundreds of millions this movie cost were, at least, on the screen.

BUT NOW, in the cold light of morning, the euphoria is fading away, and I'll tell you why-

* Aunt May. God bless ya, Sally Field, but uh. You could have stayed on the bench for this one and no one would have noticed and the movie would have been better off for it I think. It's a shame, since I love Aunt May and her scenes with Peter in the previous trilogy are some of the best.

*THAT FIRST FUCKING 5 MINUTES. JESUS CHRIST. This is some of the goddamn stupidest shit filmed in Superhero movie history. And I watched all 97 minutes of Elektra. I'll get into it more spoiler-y later? But fuck, show up late.

* Yeah, everyone is right. The movie is overstuffed. There are way too many subplots going on. This is SLIGHTLY a positive, since at least this makes most scenes feel important. But again, keep it simple stupid.

* Let me tell you a story about American Psycho. During filming, Willem Dafoe as the antagonist detective did each scene three ways - that he was sure Bateman did it, that he had no clue, and that he wasn't sure - and the director used these different takes randomly to set up a sense of unease / weirdness. And it works. So that brings me to Electro. It felt like every other scene, Jaime Foxx played him differently. Maybe this is his fault, or Webb's fault, who knows. But some of the time he was a deadly serious Chris Nolan villain, then he'd be a goofy and silly type villain, and then... not nearly enough, but a little bit, he played him like an actual human being and the Oscar-winner's talent shined through. But there wasn't enough of that. Most all of Electro's scenes without Spider-Man present are a drag. Nothing really ever became clear about his motivations, plans, desires, really any of that. He wasn't a character, he was a glowing blue plot device.

* Who's Alistair Smythe? Who's Felicia Hardy? Why the fuck should I care?

* The editing is better than the first one, but it's still a little all over the place. There are some clever transitions and montages (thanks, Marc Webb!), but it's still a little scattershot. Also, this is a really dumb nit to pick, but whole scenes / sequences from the trailers weren't in the movie at all. It's not the film's fault that I'm expecting something from the dumb trailer. But some of those little parts felt like connective tissue that got cut.

* Not enough Rhino. I would have said this for anything short of "Spider-Man vs. Rhino", but it still stands.

* Chris Cooper is weirdly bad and utterly wasted as Norman Osbourne. I mean, the last thing this movie needs is more periphery scenes / characters. But bleh.

*Mid-credits sequence did nothing for me. And just as a public service announcement - there is nothing after the credits, unless my theater jobbed me.

* It felt like the script gave Peter Parker too many vast, huge emotional swings (pun intended) back and forth over everything. Garfield is a good actor, and handles it fine, but it probably would have had a little more heft with less extreme back and forth drama.

* Discussing this movie as setting up future movies / world-building is something I really don't want to do. But, it's kind of a necessity in this post-Avengers / MCU world. And I'm ever so slightly worried for Spider-Man's future. The set-up stuff for the Sinister Six tedious, too.

So, I guess wrapping up, 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better than good, less than great. I don't think I can really wholeheartedly recommend this if you're not that invested in Spider-Man. The Garfield/Stone chemistry is GREAT, and there's more scenes of them in this one. And the actiony sequences are prettier and more lively than the last one, but it's ironically not... to use a turn of phrase from the movie... blazing its own trail.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I thank you for coming back with your thoughts here, Charlie. I will say that, though I do fall on the more negative side of response to this film, I do agree with you on the plusses of the science and the quips. Despite my major gripes, I really appreciate this film and the last one high-lighting Peter Parker's intelligence in developing the web-shooters and figuring out ways to defeat his opponents, along with the fun nature of Spdier-Man and the quips that he delivers when taking on crooks and supervillains.

Espy

Espy

Great review.

I'm hearing some WILDLY different takes from folks on this, there doesn't seem to be much consensus around the comic world.

Dave

Dave

I actually hated Harry Osborn. Not the character, the actor and the way they portrayed him. I mean, he had some good scenes but overall he was just "meh" to me.

Paul Giamatti as Rhino?!? Hell yes! Too bad we see him for a grand total of 30 seconds. (An exaggeration, but not by much.) TOTALLY wasted the talent of this guy in a shit part.

The Green Goblin fight was too short and too stupid. They spent the greatest part of the movie with Gwen & Peter looking lovingly into each other's eyes and Spidey saving nobodies to show how much of a hero he is. But since we knew that it was wasted time.

And when did Gwen Stacey get to be smarter than the genius Peter Parker?!? Basic science stuff Peter was all like, "Electricity? How the fuck does THAT work?" and Gwen was all, "You remember basic science, noob?" Bullshit.

I liked that they used Kevin Leary in the movie. Really brought out Spidey's dilemma.

I loved Jaime Foxx's Electro. As in LOVED it. His motivations seemed weak at first, but the overplay of the voices going through his head amplified the insanity we couldn't physically see. Gave his motivation weight.

Mid-credits scene was all about the X-Men. Big fucking deal. And no end of credits anything.

I would give this a 3 out of 5. Not a great movie, not entirely terrible, either.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Mid-credits scene was all about the X-Men. Big fucking deal. And no end of credits anything.
Color me confused... isn't X-men a Fox property? I thought Sony only had Spider-Man.

evilmike

evilmike

Color me confused... isn't X-men a Fox property? I thought Sony only had Spider-Man.
Sony and Fox reached a deal in which they would cross promote each other superhero movie this year so they both can look like they are part of a bigger universe ala Marvel. As far as I've heard no one has claimed that this is anything more to this deal.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Sony and Fox reached a deal in which they would cross promote each other superhero movie this year so they both can look like they are part of a bigger universe ala Marvel. As far as I've heard no one has claimed that this is anything more to this deal.
Actually, the situation was that Fox wanted Marc Webb to direct a sequel to (500) Days of Summer, while Sony wanted him around to make more Spider-Man films. Fox relented, but only on the condition of giving them some free advertising for X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I was going to hold off on spoiler thoughts for a few days to give people a chance to see it, but I can't hold it in any longer. This is just a spoiler of the first 10 minutes or so:

JESUS FUCK WHO CARES ABOUT PETER'S DAD BEING JAMES BOND IN AN AIRPLANE AND THE MOST DURABLE LAPTOP EVER TO MAGICALLY INTERNET WIRE THE MACGUFFIN TO ALL THE STUPID FUCKING SECRET BULLSHIT MYSTERY THAT ~literally no human being on the face of god's green earth gives half a fuck about~

okay, whew, I feel a little better. I swear every time I see this movie in the future in the leisure of my home I'm going to mash fast forward until I see a goddamn spider-man logo so I don't burst a blood vessel in my brain

Gryfter

Gryfter

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

* Let me tell you a story about American Psycho. During filming, Willem Dafoe as the antagonist detective did each scene three ways - that he was sure Bateman did it, that he had no clue, and that he wasn't sure - and the director used these different takes randomly to set up a sense of unease / weirdness. And it works. So that brings me to Electro. It felt like every other scene, Jaime Foxx played him differently. Maybe this is his fault, or Webb's fault, who knows. But some of the time he was a deadly serious Chris Nolan villain, then he'd be a goofy and silly type villain, and then... not nearly enough, but a little bit, he played him like an actual human being and the Oscar-winner's talent shined through. But there wasn't enough of that. Most all of Electro's scenes without Spider-Man present are a drag. Nothing really ever became clear about his motivations, plans, desires, really any of that. He wasn't a character, he was a glowing blue plot device.
This makes me wish SM3 was all about Sandman, because man Thomas Hayden Church made me want to like him, villain or no. I still think he was the best-played of the SM villains so far. And you want to talk about body horror, the scene where he gets his powers, man...

Frank

Frank

This makes me wish SM3 was all about Sandman, because man Thomas Hayden Church made me want to like him, villain or no. I still think he was the best-played of the SM villains so far. And you want to talk about body horror, the scene where he gets his powers, man...
Totally, it's probably the best scene in all the Spider-Man movies.
(Well, the scene where he reforms for the first time anyway)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Fun fact: were it not for the execs forcing Venom in Spider-Man 3, Sandman and Vulture would have been the main villains.

Frank

Frank

Fun fact: were it not for the execs forcing Venom in Spider-Man 3, Sandman and Vulture would have been the main villains.
I thought it was just going to be Sandman. The movie sans Venom makes so much more sense. I know Raimi intended Vulture for 4.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Vulture was going to be for Spider-man 4. Raimi had been setting up Harry as Green Goblin for a while (and had to fuck it up because of the Venom plot) and wanted Sandman big-time.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Frank.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I thought it was just going to be Sandman. The movie sans Venom makes so much more sense. I know Raimi intended Vulture for 4.
Actually, he had originally intended Vulture for 3. The plan was for him to end up working with Sandman and he would have been played by Sir Ben Kingsley. Ultimately, Vulture ended up getting cut out of the script.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

By the way, with all of this talk of Spider-Man 3 and the fact that MovieBob's review of Amazing Spider-Man 2 had gone up early, here is a new video from MovieBob about how, in his opinion, Spider-Man 3 isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, if you were to edit out anything to do with the symbiote suit and Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man 3 would have been a kind of great movie. Even then, if you were to get rid even the "emo Peter" scenes and kept Topher Grace's face covered when Venom, it would still have been decent.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think there's a lot you'd need to edit to make Spider-man 3 great. The Sandman stuff was solid aside from the back-alley meeting with Venom.

Seeing that in theaters with my friends was one of those "we're having a good time, but this is not a good movie" evenings. We had a lot of laughs.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Almost everything with the Sandman is not even just good, but excellent.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Almost everything with the Sandman is not even just good, but excellent.
Well, except the part where he'd killed Ben Parker. That was stupid.

Bowielee

Bowielee

There's a reason I said almost.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The retcon was clumsy, and then the retcon of the retcon near the end was even clumsier. But then we get the scene where Spider-man confronts him underground. It was one of the scenes out of a better movie.

That's really where Raimi was aiming for before the studio forced Venom and the symbiote suit on him. When it came to Uncle Ben, the suit wasn't necessary for Spider-man to go dark.

Frank

Frank

Saw "Amazing" Spider-man 2.

I hate this fucking movie. I fucking hate it.

I don't know if anyone's touched on this much in this thread, but the soundtrack is the God damn worst thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Mathias

Mathias

Saw "Amazing" Spider-man 2.

I hate this fucking movie. I fucking hate it.

I don't know if anyone's touched on this much in this thread, but the soundtrack is the God damn worst thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I thought the villain's motivation was horrible.
"YOU FORGOT MY NAME!??!?!?!? RRAAAWWRRRRRRRR!!!!

It had a really cheesy Batman 3, Jim Carrey feeel. Spider-man 3 villains had more depth, and that's not saying much.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Brad Jones made a point that if they had shown any sort of concealed darkness in the character beforehand, lingering mental or psychological issues, it would've made sense that that would set him off on an internal crisis motivation/lashing out, but that he seemed pretty happy prior to the incident.

Favorite line from that review: "I feel like I just watched The Amazing Spider-man 2, 3, and 4 crammed into one movie."

Frank

Frank

I thought the villain's motivation was horrible.
"YOU FORGOT MY NAME!??!?!?!? RRAAAWWRRRRRRRR!!!!

It had a really cheesy Batman 3, Jim Carrey feeel. Spider-man 3 villains had more depth, and that's not saying much.
YOU DIDN'T GIVE YOUR BLOOD DESPITE THE FACT THAT I KNOW NOW THAT IF YOU HAD THESE EFFECTS I AM CURRENTLY SUFFERING WOULD HAVE ONLY OCCURRED SOONER!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh Hans Zimmer, what happened to you?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I thought it was all right. I still like the Amazing Spider-Man better than the Tobey Maguire version. The new films don't have that "9/11 just happened" vibe that creeped in the first trilogy (eg. American flags everywhere).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought it was all right. I still like the Amazing Spider-Man better than the Tobey Maguire version. The new films don't have that "9/11 just happened" vibe that creeped in the first trilogy (eg. American flags everywhere).
Oh, I forgot about that. Yeah, that was a bit cheesy. Although, when I was praising the first Amazing Spider-man, my wife pointed out that most of the good things I said were in comparing it to the Tobey Maguire ones, so I have to wonder how I'd actually feel about it if those movies hadn't come first.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't remember that being a thing other than this which I took to be intentionally cheesy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

To be fair, there are the cheesy "new yorkers take care of each other in a crisis" scenes in every Spider-Man movie. It was particularly heavy handed in SM 1 and 2, probably because it was so soon after the twin towers fell. I still remember the commercial they had to pull of the helicopter being caught in a web between the twin towers.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

To be fair, there are the cheesy "new yorkers take care of each other in a crisis" scenes in every Spider-Man movie. It was particularly heavy handed in SM 1 and 2, probably because it was so soon after the twin towers fell. I still remember the commercial they had to pull of the helicopter being caught in a web between the twin towers.
Actually, I rewatched Spider-Man 2 recently. While there are moments like that and a few others that don't hold up as well, the film itself is still great as a whole. Interesting to consider in comparison with the recent Amazing Spider-Man films, where there are moments and elements I did like, but the whole products just are not good.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still love both the original Spider-Man movies. I have no idea why people say they don't hold up well. I'm inclined to think that disliking them has become an almost hipster-ish thing to do. I think Sam Rami understood the core concept of Spider-Man far more than Webb.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Their doing that in ASM was so out of place.

Actually, I rewatched Spider-Man 2 recently. While there are moments like that and a few others that don't hold up as well, the film itself is still great as a whole. Interesting to consider in comparison with the recent Amazing Spider-Man films, where there are moments and elements I did like, but the whole products just are not good.
They had some cheese for it in Spider-man 2, but I liked the end of the train scene when Doc Oc shows up to take Spider-man. Everyone apes the bridge scene from the previous scene, standing up for Spider-man ... and he just shoves them all aside.

I should watch that movie again. I've been putting it off because I'm worried it won't be as good as I remember, but you're the second person this weekend saying it still holds up, so I suppose I should pop in the DVD and find out for myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1399339974,1399339931][/DOUBLEPOST]
I still love both the original Spider-Man movies. I have no idea why people say they don't hold up well. I'm inclined to think that disliking them has become an almost hipster-ish thing to do. I think Sam Rami understood the core concept of Spider-Man far more than Webb.
To be fair, Webb's been handed a lot of shitty instructions by the producers. Raimi didn't do so hot when that happened to him either.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The Spider-Man/Doc Ock fights are still probably the best superhero/villain fights I've ever seen put to film. That includes any of the new Marvel movies. But, we've pretty much established that I'm biased as all hell.[DOUBLEPOST=1399340238,1399340107][/DOUBLEPOST]You know what the biggest tragedy of ASM2 is to me? That's the best looking Spidey costume ever.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I still really like Spider-Man 2. The other two are still good, but the first has not aged as well for me and the third is just flawed.

Sort of my main issue with Spider-Man 2 is the whole idea of Peter's powers fading due to confidence issues. I prefer how it was handled in the comics originally, wherein Peter is so frustrated with the problems in his life that come from being Spider-Man that he makes the voluntary choice to give up being Spider-Man, only to realize the full importance of him being a hero and then resume his duty. Having his powers fading in and out...feels kind of dumb to me personally.

That said, I still think Spider-Man 2 is really good and has a lot going for it, particularly how they handle Dr. Octopus.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He has had instances in the comics where his powers have gone on the fritz, but yes, it's always a stronger story when he willingly makes the sacrifice to live a normal life, only to regret it later on.[DOUBLEPOST=1399340501,1399340393][/DOUBLEPOST]God willing they never do the "I'm the Spider" storylines.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I can still impersonate Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin voice from Spider-Man, so that, if no other reason, will be why I like it. But S2 is clearly better/more fun.

KCWM

KCWM

Best Spider-Man movie so far.

Electro and Rhino have always come across as minor annoyances to Spider-Man. None of those could stand toe to toe with Spider-Man, which is they they team up. Because of this, I have no issue with how easily he dealt with Electro once he got a feel for fighting him, how quickly he subdues the GG, and how quickly Rhino is dealt with. I went in fearing that they'd try to shoehorn three villains in and I was pleased as punch to find out that they didn't.

Sure, there were plot threads that either weren't picked up or weren't fleshed out. I can accept that. The core of the movie for me was there and I enjoy the shit out of it.

My friend, his, and I talked to people in line. They were expecting cinematic gold. So many people have lost sight of the fact that this is a comic movie. The source material isn't always the strongest. Hell, I'd say that there's probably more crap in a comic series than good moments, like any season of most TV shows. Nostalgia feeds expectations for comic movies. Sure, writers misstep, directors have to deal with studio mingling, but, man, we've been treated to some REALLY, REALLY badass moments over the last 15 years of comic movies.

Maybe I'm too simple of a movie goer, but I just want to have fun for 2 hours and, by God, TASM2 delivered.

All that being said, I've way overhyped Godzilla and I can't wait to be so incredibly disappointed by that here in two weeks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll agree with what you're saying on audience expectations in the sense that we have been spoiled these past few years with comic book movies that had it all--great characters, actor chemistry, solid plots, sequels that carry on the stories, intelligent themes, etc. Some were different from each other (The Avengers and The Dark Knight have opposite tones, for example) we have been spoiled rotten as of recent.

Something I've heard from several online reviewers on ASM2 is "there are parts I loved and parts I really hated". We got used to getting most of it, so that when a movie like this comes out where it sounds like half and half, even if half of its elements are loved, they're not enough.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly still love DeFoe as green goblin. GG is supposed to be over the top insane. I just wish they had gone with the mask that we've all seen by now and thought that people were crazy for not using it.

NORMAN OSBORN is cold and calculating. Green Goblin is an insane loon.

Espy

Espy

Spiderman 2 remains one of the best superhero films ever made.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I honestly still love DeFoe as green goblin. GG is supposed to be over the top insane. I just wish they had gone with the mask that we've all seen by now and thought that people were crazy for not using it.

NORMAN OSBORN is cold and calculating. Green Goblin is an insane loon.
I thought he was great in both roles, but the costume was just kind of silly looking. His GG was fantastic and I don't think anyone's going to play it better.

Shawn

Shawn

Spider-Man 2: That one movie where the villain wants to question Peter Parker about where Spider-Man is... by throwing a car at him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Spider-Man 2: That one movie where the villain wants to question Peter Parker about where Spider-Man is... by throwing a car at him.
Yeah, he wouldn't have survived that if he wasn't Spider-man.

*Doc Oc walks into wrecked cafe*

Doc Oc: ... oops.

Tentacles: you cant question him when he's dead graft tentacles to him that will make him live tentacles solve everything it's okay your wife is dead so long as you have tentaclesssssss

Doc Oc: Yeah, good thinking. Thanks, tentacles.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Tentacles: you cant question him when he's dead graft tentacles to him that will make him live tentacles solve everything it's okay your wife is dead so long as you have tentaclesssssss
I read that in the voice of Professor Toothy.
(Warning: This gets really fucked up near the 2:00 mark. But you'll get the idea long before that.)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Relevant, I think: http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/548-partners-the-massive-brief-collaboration-of-kurtzm/

About Kurtzman/Orci, spoils Amazing Spider-Man 2

Frank

Frank

The TLDR version:

They're terrible writers who write terrible nonsense, and that's why all the money.

Espy

Espy

The TLDR version:

They're terrible writers who write terrible nonsense, and that's why all the money.
Shit, I don't need an article to tell me that. I'm a human with a brain.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Just got back from seeing it. I didn't think it was that bad. In fact, I thought it was better than the first. Though the first was average at best, so it was a noted improvement. GREAT special effects, though, I must say. The action sequences were spectacular. They felt more like Spider-Man than any previous movie, honestly. No complaints there at all. Also, I like that this Spidey has a bit more fun during action sequences. The fireman stuff cracked me up. It's unfortunate that it doesn't translate to any OTHER time Peter does or says anything in the movie, though (save for some banter with Gwen). Though I did like that he at least tried talking his way out of fights instead of just barrelling in, web-shooting.

Honestly, my biggest beef was its run time. It felt like they were trying to stuff in too much in. The Goblin stuff, for example, felt really rushed. On par with Venom being rushed in Spider-Man 3. It was kinda like "Well, we have this big, iconic moment from the comics. I guess we HAVE to put the Goblin in there." That whole bit felt rushed, honestly, basically all just to set up THAT scene. Which, while done well, I don't know why they had to change how the circumstances from the comics.

Like, the pieces were all in place for her to die by her body/neck snapping from the webbing, but instead they did this lame thud against the floor, which I don't think was as effective.

I did, however, like how and why Electro teamed up with Harry. It tied in with Max's story, clumsy as it was.

The stuff at the end with Rhino felt rushed, as well, but I kinda dug how it bookended with the opening action sequence. As soon as their fight was about to begin, I thought "Yup, they're doing the Rocky ending. Credits will roll just as they're about to slam into each other." And I was right. And I was okay with that. Rhino, as much as he's one of my favourite villains, isn't really one that deserves his own movie all to himself. He's not - nor has he ever - been a complex enough character. That's part of his charm. So the way they used him in the movie was effective.

So yeah, overall, I dug it. It's most definitely not without its faults (the reveal of Peter's connection with his father was dumb, even if it kind of made sense within the context of the story), but it had some GREAT action sequences and felt more like a Spidey movie than others before it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'd just like to point out that I totally called that scene two years ago.

Although it sounds like they did it differently from how it's meant to be.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'd just like to point out that I totally called that scene two years ago.

Although it sounds like they did it differently from how it's meant to be.
Let's be honest. There's only one interesting thing about Gwen Stacy or something she's famous for. It was inevitable from the moment they decided to use her in the first movie.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Let's be honest. There's only one interesting thing about Gwen Stacy or something she's famous for. It was inevitable from the moment they decided to use her in the first movie.
That's very true.

Nonetheless, I totally called it! :D

Bowielee

Bowielee

It was about as much a spoiler as the identity of the Winter Soldier. If you've ever read Spider-Man, you knew what was going to happen.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That's very true.

Dudes quote this. Tomorrow, there will be breathable air. Calling it now.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dudes quote this. Tomorrow, there will be breathable air. Calling it now.
Now we need someone from Beijing to chime in.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I didn't say the air would be good for you.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I didn't say the air would be good for you.
Dude, now you're retconning stuff!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But how do you feel Spider-man relates to Asian girls dating white guys?

Celt Z

Celt Z

That's very true.

I don't think you can "call" something that's been established canon for 41 years. That's like saying in 1997, "They're making a Titantic movie? That ship is totally going to sink!...Called it!"

bhamv3

bhamv3

All very good points.

Nonetheless, I still called it! :D

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I thought it was a little cool / slick how the film opens on a shot of Mr. Parker's watch slowly ticking, and the climax takes place in a clock tower.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

All very good points.

Nonetheless, I still called it! :D

Shawn

Shawn

That's very true.

LOL. Not to rain on your thunder, but I think EVERYONE called the death of Gwen Stacy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

There's a reason I felt to fear about opening spoilers in this thread.

Well, that and I've already pre-judged the movie as hot garbage before seeing a single frame of it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

God this is making me laugh so much for some reason.

Covar

Covar

Critics seemed to have a hard on for Maquire as stiff as his range. I'll never understand why.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I still think Maguire was better suited for Peter Parker. In the comics, Parker was an outcast, a dork, and hanging out with him was social suicide. Maguire never seemed to know what to do with himself around his peers(whether is was an acting choice or just coincidence), but his awkwardness made it apparent why he was an outcast. Garfield, though a talented actor, is too pretty and too confident to be believed as an outcast. People don't like him because he... photographs? Skateboards? Wears fairly fashionable clothes? Has some interest in science? It doesn't make any sense why he'd be isolated.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, not the greatest actor but Maguire really looked the part.

Covar

Covar

In the comics, Parker was an outcast, a dork, and hanging out with him was social suicide.
For barely over 2 years of real time while he was in high school. Which was what 20 minutes of the movie?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think Garfield did a better job as the witty wise cracking Spider-Man under the mask, but I think Toby was the better Peter Parker.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Maguire may have looked more the part, but Garfield's awkward teen acting was far better and more genuine that Maguire's IMO, who acted fairly unnaturally and rather offputting. Admittedly, I haven't seen ASM2 yet, but I can't see how Garfield's Peter can really be called too confident.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think Garfield did a better job as the witty wise cracking Spider-Man under the mask, but I think Toby was the better Peter Parker.
Yep, I can agree with that. It's like the various Batman actors over the years have been better at one role or the other. Clooney may have stunk as Batman, but he was arguably the best Bruce Wayne until Bale.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Maguire may have looked more the part, but Garfield's awkward teen acting was far better and more genuine that Maguire's IMO, who acted fairly unnaturally and rather offputting. Admittedly, I haven't seen ASM2 yet, but I can't see how Garfield's Peter can really be called too confident.
That scene might have been pretty good, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the other times he wasn't anywhere near as awkward...

In the comics, Parker was an outcast, a dork, and hanging out with him was social suicide.
Hey, look, an original first 3 years fan...

As i recall once he started college it was more about the fact that he was always worried about his aunt and spider stuff that made others think he's ignoring them because he thinks he's better then them, which is why he was an outcast...

Covar

Covar

which is why he was an outcast...
... hanging out with Flash Tompson, Harry Osborne, his girlfriend Gwen Stacy, and Mary Jane Watson.

The great thing about Peter Parker is in High School he's pretending to be the cool, chilled, wise cracking Spider-Man, as he gets older he very much becomes what he was pretending to be.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

That scene might have been pretty good, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the other times he wasn't anywhere near as awkward...
Not really, that's pretty well representative of him in social scenarios.

Celt Z

Celt Z

As i recall once he started college it was more about the fact that he was always worried about his aunt and spider stuff that made others think he's ignoring them because he thinks he's better then them, which is why he was an outcast...
That's kinda my point. Peter's supposed to be a guy that's not to good at social mores. It's not that he doesn't have good priorities, but he's not the kind of guy you'd expect at weekend parties. You wouldn't really think to look at him twice, and most likely assume you could just push him around (see: Jameson). He's a guy you'd never in a million years would guess in the wise-cracking Spider-Man. Toby Maguire has that look in every role he plays.

Garfield gives of more of a loner, trying to be James Dean type-of-vibe. You'd expect girls to pin pictures of him on their walls. If he pulled a Tony Stark and said "I am Spider-Man!", people would go"....okay, I can see it." Toby Maguire gets up and says "I am Spider-Man!" and people would laugh. To me, it feels like in order to differentiate themselves from the first 3 films, they lost a little of Peter's core essence. I don't hate Garfield in the role, but I do miss that part of Peter Parker.

@Li3n

@Li3n

... hanging out with Flash Tompson, Harry Osborne, his girlfriend Gwen Stacy, and Mary Jane Watson.
Funny you should mention that:

And some more context: http://www.comicscube.com/2014/04/gwen-stacy-and-challenges-of-comic-book.html

Garfield gives of more of a loner, trying to be James Dean type-of-vibe. You'd expect girls to pin pictures of him on their walls.
It's funny, but the first issue with Gwen Stacy she gets into him because he's ignoring her...

Not really, that's pretty well representative of him in social scenarios.
Maybe, but people still remember the skater thing much easier...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think honest trailers said it best when it came to Garfield's portrayal.

"Peter Parker was just an attractive, intelligent, likeable, athletic, well-dressed, teenage loser."

My issue with him was that Peter Parker always had this duel identity to him like Superman or Batman. With Spider-Man, the reason he wise cracked was because he was timid when it came to his real life. He didn't crack jokes at J.J.J as Peter Parker, he just did what he was told like a good photographer, even when his pictures were openly attacking his super-identity 90% of the time. He got out his frustrations on that by making fun of his enemies. The mask gave him the ability to be witty without feeling awkwardly embarrassed about it.

I still think Garfield did a great job, but his Peter is way more quirky but attractive then dorky and awkward, and the chemistry him and Gwen had actually made me cringe a bit because it seemed too perfect for someone like Peter to get right out the gate in the first film.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Maybe, but people still remember the skater thing much easier...
I think it's more that Garfield is a better looking guy than Maguire than the skating.

I think honest trailers said it best when it came to Garfield's portrayal.

"Peter Parker was just an attractive, intelligent, likeable, athletic, well-dressed, teenage loser."

My issue with him was that Peter Parker always had this duel identity to him like Superman or Batman. With Spider-Man, the reason he wise cracked was because he was timid when it came to his real life. He didn't crack jokes at J.J.J as Peter Parker, he just did what he was told like a good photographer, even when his pictures were openly attacking his super-identity 90% of the time. He got out his frustrations on that by making fun of his enemies. The mask gave him the ability to be witty without feeling awkwardly embarrassed about it.
Sounds like Garfield's portrayal to me. Do I need to link to him being awkward and barely able to talk to a pretty girl again?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Sounds like Garfield's portrayal to me. Do I need to link to him being awkward and barely able to talk to a pretty girl again?
That was quirky, not awkward. You look at Gwen in that scene and she is smiling at how cute he is, not going "Oh man what... why is this guy stuttering so much. So embarrassing...".

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

That was quirky, not awkward. You look at Gwen in that scene and she is smiling at how cute he is, not going "Oh man what... why is this guy stuttering so much. So embarrassing...".
If a love interest being into them means they're not awkward, than neither actor did an awkward Peter Parker, both won the girl. Some people do find awkward people cute, that doesn't make them not socially awkward.

@Li3n

@Li3n

That was quirky, not awkward.
Quirky = someone that's awkward, but attractive.[DOUBLEPOST=1400258303,1400258230][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think it's more that Garfield is a better looking guy than Maguire than the skating.
And the clothes too imo. He looked too "cool" overall really.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Quirky = someone that's awkward, but attractive.
"Shrug" then I guess I just want him entirely awkward.

If a love interest being into them means they're not awkward, than neither actor did an awkward Peter Parker, both won the girl. Some people do find awkward people cute, that doesn't make them not socially awkward.
At no early point in the first movie was it showing MJ interested in Peter as relationship material, not until the end when she realized he was always there for her did she realize she liked him. She dated Flash, Harry, and even made out with Spider-Man because they were athletic, successful, or heroic. Peter was the friend zone.

Peter was that awkward friend you know kind of likes you, but then he follows you down to the backyard while you take out the trash and try to call you pretty but does it in a way that makes you just run to your boyfriends car and get the hell out of there. That is awkward.

In Amazing Spider-Man, I never got that impression. Gwen and Garfield had so much chemistry that you knew 100% they were both into each other the minute they get on screen together.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

At no early point in the first movie was it showing MJ interested in Peter as relationship material, not until the end when she realized he was always there for her did she realize she liked him. She dated Flash, Harry, and even made out with Spider-Man.

Peter was that awkward friend you know kind of likes you, but then he follows you down to the backyard while you take out the trash and try to call you pretty but does it in a way that makes you just run to your boyfriends car and get the hell out of there. That is awkward.
Someone being so weird they scare you like that goes past "awkward" and hits "creepy". That's how Tobey did it, but I haven't seen a comics/animated version of Peter that played it that way. Speaking as a formerly nerdy, socially awkward (but not creepy) teen, Garfield hit that nail on the head so hard I felt sympathy pains for him.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Someone being so weird they scare you like that goes past "awkward" and hits "creepy". That's how Tobey did it, but I haven't seen a comics/animated version of Peter that played it that way. Speaking as a formerly nerdy, socially awkward (but not creepy) teen, Garfield hit that nail on the head so hard I felt sympathy pains for him.
I don't know, I think you were not as socially awkward as you think you were.

I was a very socially awkward teen, who was more geeky then nerdy and had very little friends outside a small gamer group no one else liked, and Garfield was one of those "cool" kids that would be in the skater click hanging out down at the Ralphs parking lot mostly being a bit broody rather then universally disliked. He was way to "cool for school" even when other kids were attempting to make fun of him in the film.

I guess this is just one of those cases where we have different ideas of what makes someone awkward, because if you can walk up to a girl and stutter a bit and yet still get her to adore you in the first few minutes of getting to know her, I don't really see that as awkward, that is just being a shy but attractive teenager in general.

P.S. As I feel I am arguing something I really shouldn't, let me just close and say I enjoyed Garfield portrayal as the character. It's not like I hate him or anything. I just feel Toby was the better version of how I imagined Peter, while Garfield was better at how I imagined Spider-Man. I though Toby did a very weak Spider-Man because he was too wooden to pull off a lot of the wit. Both have ups and downs.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I don't know, I think you were not as socially awkward as you think you were.

I was a very socially awkward teen, who was more geeky then nerdy and had very little friends outside a small gamer group no one else liked, and Garfield was one of those "cool" kids that would be in the skater click hanging out down at the Ralphs parking lot mostly being a bit broody rather then universally disliked. We was way to "cool for school" even when other kids were attempting to make fun of him in the film.

I guess this is just one of those cases where we have different ideas of what makes someone awkward, because if you can walk up to a girl and stutter a bit and yet still get her to adore you in the first few minutes of getting to know her, I don't really see that as awkward, that is just being a shy but attractive teenager in general.
I guess it is, because I didn't see Garfield acting "cool" at all, though I do need to correct you as that scene wasn't within a few minutes of knowing her, that was after he got spider powers and was following him showing up Flash in front of everyone.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I guess it is, because I didn't see Garfield acting "cool" at all, though I do need to correct you as that scene wasn't within a few minutes of knowing her, that was after he got spider powers and was following him showing up Flash in front of everyone.
I was exaggerating slightly, but there was still that little spark of connection between them since the beginning when we first see them interact or look at each other, I do remember that because it caught me off guard how "into" each other they seemed to already be.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Still hate Garfield's portrayal.

I don't know who that guy is that he's playing, but he's not Spider-Man and he's DEFINITELY not Peter Parker.

I agree with a good chunk of what Celt has said. For me, Toby was great in the role because he oozed dorky awkwardness. He also really pulled off the overall put-uppon-ness of the character.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Frankly i dont think either got it much right...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think Garfield played, "nerdy kid from Queens" much better, but Maguire played Peter Parker much better.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ehhhh... I think he felt a little more suburban than Queens (which, given the fact he spent most of his life in England, I'll give a pass). If you really went authentic "nerdy kid from Queens", he'd probably be Asian or Hispanic, at least for the past 20 years.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Ehhhh... I think he felt a little more suburban than Queens (which, given the fact he spent most of his life in England, I'll give a pass). If you really went authentic "nerdy kid from Queens", he'd probably be Asian or Hispanic, at least for the past 20 years.
There are occasionally white folks in Queens. Not many, I will grant, but a few.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Agreed. I meant that more as pondering what Peter Parker would be like if he were created today as opposed to the 60's. Peter Parker will always be THE Spider-Man to me, but the introduction of Miles Morales is probably a more accurate representation of an average current Queens kid.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Agreed. I meant that more as pondering what Peter Parker would be like if he were created today as opposed to the 60's. Peter Parker will always be THE Spider-Man to me, but the introduction of Miles Morales is probably a more accurate representation of an average current Queens kid.
Oh, 100% agreed. Unfortunately, Avi Arad is not down with that idea. :mad:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yep, I can agree with that. It's like the various Batman actors over the years have been better at one role or the other. Clooney may have stunk as Batman, but he was arguably the best Bruce Wayne until Bale.
Really? I thought Clooney was dreadful as Wayne, too. I still have a soft spot for Keaton.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I still think Keaton and Reeve were the absolute best at portraying the two personalities of Bats/Supes and their alter-egos.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Keaton just had that Bat-shit crazy going for him when he played both parts.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still think Keaton was the best at both as well. Particularly his Bruce Wayne.

My favorite scene in any Batman movie ever made is still the ballroom scene with Selena Kyle in Batman Returns.

Selena: You know mistletoe is deadly if you eat it.

Bruce: But a kiss can be even deadlier if you mean it.

Selena: Oh God, does this mean we have to start fighting?

That hits me right in the feels every time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Keaton sells it for me, because his Bruce Wayne just seems so improbable as Batman. There's something there, underneath, but he keeps it hidden. He doesn't stalk around and brood... he sits quietly, contemplatively. There's even that great scene in Batman 2, when he pulls the cowl off.

Christopher Walken's character: Bruce Wayne?! ... what are you doing dressed up like Batman?

Selena: Because he is Batman you moron.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Sony's adding another film to their attempt at making a Spider-Man movie universe. This time, it's a female superhero film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121401

Tress

Tress

:facepalm:

Keep it up, Sony. At this rate you'll single-handedly destroy the entire superhero movie sub-genre.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

:facepalm:

Keep it up, Sony. At this rate you'll single-handedly destroy the entire superhero movie sub-genre.
Go on.

Tress

Tress

Over-saturation with bad product. No one wants to see all these spinoffs, certainly not 1-2 times a year.

Maybe I'm wrong, that would be great. But I don't have any faith in them based on their recent track record.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

What I'm hoping is one of Sony's superhero films bombs. And I mean at a Howard the Duck level. In desperation, Sony sells their rights to all their Marvel properties to Disney.

Celt Z

Celt Z

A female superhero is finally getting her own movie?! :eek:

....oh, it's Sony. :(

(Is it too much to hope for "it doesn't break records but it's enjoyable" like Blade and not another Catwoman?)

Covar

Covar

A female superhero is finally getting her own movie?! :eek:

....oh, it's Sony. :(

(Is it too much to hope for "it doesn't break records but it's enjoyable" like Blade and not another Catwoman?)
Well maybe black cat, so not a female superhero.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well maybe black cat, so not a female superhero.
I thought it said possibly Spider-Woman or Silver Sable?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hey, it's okay guys! Sony has some history with a female lead superhero movie!

Why, just look how well they did with Elekt...

Oh, right.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought we were getting a Black Widow movie in 2016, so who cares about what Sony's doing?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Did they confirm that? I hadn't heard.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I thought we were getting a Black Widow movie in 2016, so who cares about what Sony's doing?
I haven't heard any confirmation on a Black Widow movie yet, though she's one of the frontrunners rumored for a Marvel female-led movie along with Captain Marvel.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought they had confirmed it. Maybe it was just a rumor.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I thought they had confirmed it. Maybe it was just a rumor.
Unfortunately, no. The only ones we definitely know besides Avengers: Age of Ultron are Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

fade

fade

I'd like to see a female superhero who isn't in the shadow of a male hero. No Batgirl, Supergirl, Spiderwoman (even if she isn't directly related to Spidey), Batwoman. If only DC had some incredibly iconic property that everyone is practically ready to throw money at...[DOUBLEPOST=1407247382,1407247029][/DOUBLEPOST]SWORD would be a good choice. It would tie together the SHIELD tv show, Avengers, and GotG nicely.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

haters gonna hate, Spider-Man movies are going to keep stacking that paper, and the best superhero ever will continue to not grace Whedon's shitty Avengers 6

Espy

Espy

I'd like to see a female superhero who isn't in the shadow of a male hero. No Batgirl, Supergirl, Spiderwoman (even if she isn't directly related to Spidey), Batwoman. If only DC had some incredibly iconic property that everyone is practically ready to throw money at...[DOUBLEPOST=1407247382,1407247029][/DOUBLEPOST]SWORD would be a good choice. It would tie together the SHIELD tv show, Avengers, and GotG nicely.
Like Wonder Woman then? I think thats who you are thinking of.

Honestly, if Sony can pull it off I don't care who it is, the assholes who run Marvel and DC need to be shown that a woman lead isn't going to shrink their tiny balls and bank accounts.

Covar

Covar

I think my only issue is that I can't think of a single female costumed/powered character in the Spider-man line that I would be interested in seeing in a movie. Wait, can we count alternate/possible futures? Because a Spider-girl movie featuring "Mayday" Parker would be amazing.

fade

fade

Like Wonder Woman then? I think thats who you are thinking of.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I think my only issue is that I can't think of a single female costumed/powered character in the Spider-man line that I would be interested in seeing in a movie. Wait, can we count alternate/possible futures? Because a Spider-girl movie featuring "Mayday" Parker would be amazing.
Well, they could have potentially created a Black Cat film.

...if they hadn't wasted Felicia Hardy by just throwing her into Amazing Spider-Man 2 as Harry Osborn's assistant, who then disappears from the film after her exposition reveal.

Covar

Covar

Fourth rate Catwoman who's far more crazy, and most notable for trying to "kill" Peter Parker by destroying his life and attempting to murder Aunt May. Like I said, not interested.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Fourth rate Catwoman who's far more crazy, and most notable for trying to "kill" Peter Parker by destroying his life and attempting to murder Aunt May. Like I said, not interested.
Oh and don't forget she wants to kill him again because SpOck punched her and sent her to jail for, you know, stealing shit again. She knows it's Peter again but her "street cred" is ruined by SM and so she has to ruin his life now. It's fucking stupid and Slott is a hack.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Y'know, I wonder if Sony also owns the rights to Spider-Woman. I think it would be a great fuck you to sony to include her in the Avengers if she's not part of the Spider-man deal, which I'm pretty sure she isn't.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'd say the weirder part is that they want a female superhero. Not Spider-Woman, not Black Cat, just a female superhero. Makes it feel like they don't really care.

That being said, I do love Spider-Man and should probably check out the new movies.

Frank

Frank

Y'know, I wonder if Sony also owns the rights to Spider-Woman. I think it would be a great fuck you to sony to include her in the Avengers if she's not part of the Spider-man deal, which I'm pretty sure she isn't.
I don't think they do. I just saw a big list of each of the film companies characters they have the rights to and Spider-Woman is not mentioned under Sony.

At least not Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter anyway.

They probably have May "Day" Parker though (she wasn't listed either).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

and the best superhero ever will continue to not grace Whedon's shitty Avengers 6
Aw, but I wanted to see Dog Welder on the big screen.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think they do. I just saw a big list of each of the film companies characters they have the rights to and Spider-Woman is not mentioned under Sony.

At least not Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter anyway.

They probably have May "Day" Parker though (she wasn't listed either).
Well, and as it is in the comics, both Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter are far more tied to the Avengers than they ever were to Spider-Man. Hell, Jessica Drew has been a double triple quadruple agent bouncing between SHIELD and Hydra.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, now that the movie is available by means in which the makers will never see a dime from me, I watched this movie.

Just horrible, for the most part.

I think I put my finger on why these movies rank so high on my hate list. They have such potential to be great movies, but just seem... well, incompetent in being able to do that. Emma Stone is just great as the character of Gwen Stacy. While the Gwen from the comics was little more than a damsel in distress and eventual "woman in refrigerator", I loved the fact that Gwen in these movies was smarter than Peter and just as plucky as him.

But jesus christ there's some serious turd wrangling going on in this movie.

Main complaint, is Andrew Garfield. Not that he's consistently terrible, but that he's consistently inconsistent. At points he is spot on, and in others, he seems like he doesn't know how to convey human emotions.

Next biggest complaint is the score of all things. It was so bad that it actively bothered me. It felt like the music that would be in a cartoon, and don't even get me started on dubstep Electro. BLARG.

Speaking of Electro, I liked him better the first time when he was the Riddler in Batman Returns.

Green Goblin and Rhino exist only to move the plot forward with no real development. I actually prefered the Power Ranger villain goblin from the Rami verson over the Copper Kid from Silverhawks.

Oh and the most outrageously laugh out loud moment for me, is when he's shooting the web to Gwen and it actually forms a hand reaching out for her. GOOD GOD... just terrible.

Attachments

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I actually really liked the score, and thought it fit Electro's scenes perfectly. Max's theme if the sad oboe (or was it a piccolo? I don't really know my woodwinds) slowly evolving into the angry dubstep of electro was spot on, and even included what sounded like singing Tesla coils.

Everything else you said though, I agree with. Garfield and Stone had good chemistry, but was inconsistent. Rhino and Goblin were pointless and stupid, and more or less the while thing was just boring.

For me, Electro was the only thing worth seeing. I don't even like his comic version, but Jaime Foxx rocked it as him, and his 30 minutes of screen time were the only parts I enjoyed.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I felt the exact opposite about Dane DeHaan, I think he's a huge star and loved all his scenes and he reminded me of Heath Ledge or a young Dicaprio.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I felt the exact opposite about Dane DeHaan, I think he's a huge star and loved all his scenes and he reminded me of Heath Ledge or a young Dicaprio.
His scenes are actually pretty ok, up until he turns into whatever the fuck that thing was supposed to be at the end. He played his part well, and despite being introduced as Peter's long lost friend without any backstory or setup to establish them as long time friends, I totally bought it once they started interacting with each other.

But his scenes are, again, painfully short and underused. Except for the shoehorned extra ending after the movie should have already been over, and he turns into a reject leprechaun.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

From the trailers I thought I wasn't going to like him at all, but I found his scenes with Peter to be pretty great.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I like Amazing Green Goblin a lot more since he has a MUCH better reason to be pissed at Spider-Man than the other movies ones

Dei

Dei

I would just like to point out that a piccolo and oboe sound nothing alike.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like Amazing Green Goblin a lot more since he has a MUCH better reason to be pissed at Spider-Man than the other movies ones
Yeah, but Peter has a pretty stupid reason for not giving him the blood that might save his life, especially after curing The Lizard's serum the movie before.

Harry: I'm dying Peter, I need Spider-Man's blood.
Peter: Hey, you're my best friend, so I have to tell you... I'm actually Spider-Man. And also an amazing chemist, that for some reason doesn't know how magnets work. How about we work together and see if we can't find a cure?

End of movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1408998493,1408998463][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would just like to point out that a piccolo and oboe sound nothing alike.
I did say I don't know my woodwinds.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I LOVED him in Chronicle, but the movie doesn't know what to do with him. He certainly wasn't utilized in a fashion that allowed him to show his acting chops. Which is funny that he played one of the most sympathetic and nuanced supervillains ever put to film in Chronicle.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Mathias

Mathias

This movie sucked so much; I want my 1.99 from RedBox back.

Someone had it spot on with the Jim Carrey Riddler impression Jamie Fox pulled off. Electro was so one dimensional he was practically a singularity.

The Goblin story arc blew chunks. Friendship out of nowhere!

Rhino... kid at the end... ugh... so much camp.