How is your Christmas 2018?

GasBandit

Staff member
I spent Christmas Eve with my RL best friend and his family. Last night we played this... game?... where apparently my friend rolled about $200 in knickknacks, gift cards, candy, tiny liquor bottles, lottery scratch-offs, sports-team themed socks, and various other small prizes into a giant saran-wrap ball that ended up being about the size of a beach ball. We all sat in a circle around the dining room table, and one person would try to unwrap the thing while the next person rolled 2d6 as fast as they could until they got doubles, which would mean the ball had to be passed to them, and the next person would start rolling. Whatever came out of the ball while you unwrapped it was yours to keep (or trade with others when it was all over, if you so desired). If you tore the saran wrap, the ball had to be immediately passed to the next person.

It sounded kinda neat, I'd never done anything like this before, but holy shit. Whenever anyone over 30 (and especially "grandpa," my friend's father) got the ball, we were civil, jovial, intent but reserved.. but anyone under that went absolutely fucking ape. My friend's adult-aged kids (both the adult-aged and the 9 year old) and their significant others immediately turned into shrieking gollum-doubles whenever the ball came near them. At one point when the 25-year old boy rolled doubles he literally dove for the ball, wrenching it from the grasp of his 23 y/o brother-in-law while shrieking "DOUBLES!" that the table nearly collapsed under his assault.

And there was all kinds of dirty tricks going on, like as soon as someone yelled "doubles!" to indicate to pass the ball, the person WITH the ball would immediately quickly tear the saran wrap they were peeling off and slap the end back to the ball so it would be hard to find and re-peel. There were several instances of the ball-holder "accidentally" hitting a die when it came near them to knock it on the floor, giving them more time to unwrap without rolling happening.

And it took a lot longer to get to the middle than I thought - this went on for about 75 minutes. It is REALLY hard to unwrap a ball of plastic wrap stuck to itself without tearing the plastic, especially because it wasn't all one continuous roll. When it was all done, we distributed our secret santa gifts (while my friend got his tools and made repairs to the table).

All in all, between getting things to fall out and the after-trading, I made out pretty well I suppose. I traded away all my lottery tickets and starbucks/apple gift cards for DQ gift cards, liquor bottles (Tito's, Deep Eddy, Patron, and Kraken), a packet of Kountry Boy sausage, and a big bag of Reece's pieces. I plan to give the liquor bottles to my underlings at work tomorrow.

My family usually does the christmas thing the weekend AFTER Christmas, it's almost tradition now.

I traded away all my lottery tickets and starbucks/apple gift cards for DQ gift cards, liquor bottles (Tito's, Deep Eddy, Patron, and Kraken), a packet of Kountry Boy sausage, and a big bag of Reece's pieces.
*suspicious judging face*

GasBandit

Staff member
*suspicious judging face*
Hey, even I deserve ice cream from time to time. It's taken me a few times for my brain to get the message, but I've come to accept my stomach just immediately refuses any burgers or greasy foods. I tried for "safer" stuff on the menu when I took Terrik and Jun out for BBQ and still ended up having to excuse myself to the restroom to ralf it right back up.

In fact I'm probably gonna have to give away this sausage, too.

Spending the three Christmas days with my younger sister and her three kids. Original plan was being alone at home playing games and watching movies/shows from my pile of shame. Then she asked if I come for Christmas.

Zappit

Staff member
I am sick with a cold today. Honestly got a little nervous when it started coming on. I ended up going to the hospital for the better part of a week the day after Christmas a few years ago due to a nasty, dehydrating illness. But, fortunately, this isn’t like that time.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Okay this is me being petty. I understand this.

My sister-in-law got married to a pretty rich guy. Since then she’s forgotten that most people don’t have money. And she throws it in our face without meaning to. So my nephew discovered that I’ve been streaming and so he wanted to as well. For Christmas he got everything that I have as a “wishlist” for my stream, like a yeti mic and a soundboard. And, of course, they had to tell me all about it.

I’m very annoyed and I realize that’s really just envy speaking, but there it is. At least she’s no longer preaching at me so I have that going for me.

I spent Christmas Eve with my RL best friend and his family. Last night we played this... game?... where apparently my friend rolled about $200 in knickknacks, gift cards, candy, tiny liquor bottles, lottery scratch-offs, sports-team themed socks, and various other small prizes into a giant saran-wrap ball that ended up being about the size of a beach ball. We all sat in a circle around the dining room table, and one person would try to unwrap the thing while the next person rolled 2d6 as fast as they could until they got doubles, which would mean the ball had to be passed to them, and the next person would start rolling. Whatever came out of the ball while you unwrapped it was yours to keep (or trade with others when it was all over, if you so desired). If you tore the saran wrap, the ball had to be immediately passed to the next person.

It sounded kinda neat, I'd never done anything like this before, but holy shit. Whenever anyone over 30 (and especially "grandpa," my friend's father) got the ball, we were civil, jovial, intent but reserved.. but anyone under that went absolutely fucking ape. My friend's adult-aged kids (both the adult-aged and the 9 year old) and their significant others immediately turned into shrieking gollum-doubles whenever the ball came near them. At one point when the 25-year old boy rolled doubles he literally dove for the ball, wrenching it from the grasp of his 23 y/o brother-in-law while shrieking "DOUBLES!" that the table nearly collapsed under his assault.

And there was all kinds of dirty tricks going on, like as soon as someone yelled "doubles!" to indicate to pass the ball, the person WITH the ball would immediately quickly tear the saran wrap they were peeling off and slap the end back to the ball so it would be hard to find and re-peel. There were several instances of the ball-holder "accidentally" hitting a die when it came near them to knock it on the floor, giving them more time to unwrap without rolling happening.

And it took a lot longer to get to the middle than I thought - this went on for about 75 minutes. It is REALLY hard to unwrap a ball of plastic wrap stuck to itself without tearing the plastic, especially because it wasn't all one continuous roll. When it was all done, we distributed our secret santa gifts (while my friend got his tools and made repairs to the table).

All in all, between getting things to fall out and the after-trading, I made out pretty well I suppose. I traded away all my lottery tickets and starbucks/apple gift cards for DQ gift cards, liquor bottles (Tito's, Deep Eddy, Patron, and Kraken), a packet of Kountry Boy sausage, and a big bag of Reece's pieces. I plan to give the liquor bottles to my underlings at work tomorrow.

My family usually does the christmas thing the weekend AFTER Christmas, it's almost tradition now.
I play that game my own way, when I get the dice I roll them one at a time and take the time to bless each dice for luck first.

I have a picture frame they gave me years ago that says something like "Best Uncle Ever." The glass on it broke and I kept meaning to get it fixed. I think I will now so I can fame this. Maybe put it on my desk at work.
You could fix it yourself for pretty cheap with an acrylic sheet from Home Depot (or whatever Canadian equivalent you have). You need a metal straight edge and a razor blade. Score the plastic with steady pressure, and then line up the scored line over the edge of a table. Apply pressure and it should snap clean off. Also some hardware stores can cut it for you, but they may charge for it.

You could fix it yourself for pretty cheap with an acrylic sheet from Home Depot (or whatever Canadian equivalent you have). You need a metal straight edge and a razor blade. Score the plastic with steady pressure, and then line up the scored line over the edge of a table. Apply pressure and it should snap clean off. Also some hardware stores can cut it for you, but they may charge for it.

You vastly overestimate my handiness skills.

Sitting in the hospital with my non racist brother who apparently has a full blown staph infection on his ass.

Merry Christmas y'all.

Finally over. Really thinking about skipping it next year if that would even be possible. I mean I know I won't because I'm just being cranky about it and won't remember how much of a struggle it was this year but mayyyyyybe I will?

Still though, I guess everyone enjoyed their gift that I got them so I'm thankful for that.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm not one who gets attached to cute things with no practical use (like decorative pillows....), but I saw this adorable pillow at Rooms 2 Go a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. Jake noticed and went back to get it later. Turns out it was discontinued and was being used as a decoration, but they sold it to him anyway. I love it so much.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Back home. Left Colorado Springs at 2 am local time due to storms coming up behind & ahead of us. We fortunately timed it right by going through Kansas and up instead of a more straight shot. Took us a LOT longer than normal but other than a couple HOURS of really dense fog, we only had a little rain. Had we waited it would have been fog, ice, & snow. But damn am I tired.