How is your Christmas 2018?

figmentPez

Staff member
I didn't know where else to post "A Very Spidey Christmas", so I'm starting a general Christmas thread. Post your favorite Christmas music. Tell us how your holidays are going. Share recipes for holiday goodies. Everything Christmas!

I didn't know where else to post "A Very Spidey Christmas", so I'm starting a general Christmas thread. Post your favorite Christmas music. Tell us how your holidays are going. Share recipes for holiday goodies. Everything Christmas!

I posted it in the last movie you watched thread! I didn't want to be the one to start a Christmas thread.

Same as every year: extended family get-together on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day with the immediate family, fighting off the plague I get around this time. :p

Closest family is 50 miles away. Second closest 200+. So guess who gets the 11-hour split shift Christmas Day? And did I mention owner took away holiday pay?

I may get to go see mom on Monday, but that's the most I'm gonna get out of this Christmas. Sorry to be the thread downer.

[ETA] As soon as I posted this I watched the latest Hinomaruzoumo. Hype overload. THAT'S how you get your spirits lifted. :D

Last edited:
Today (Saturday), wedding of the sister of my sister-in-law's ex husband. I have no idea why we were even invited, but apparently we have to go and make a big show of being happy and having fun.
Tomorrow, a second-part birthday party of my girlfriend for her family (because half of them couldn't make it last time) has morphed into also-a-birthday-party-for-me with the whole in-law family. Didn't intend to have one, not even having a party with my friends or my own family, but oh well. Pancakes and my favorite dessert, it'll be fun.
Monday, work. And when I get home, celebrating my birthday with my girlfriend, with bison and ostrich steak. A bit of a splurge, but yummy!
Tuesday, home with the two of us, or maybe a friend of my girlfriend is coming over with her baby.
Wednesday, back to regular old work.

As of yesterday afternoon, my father is determined to let his selfishness and irresponsibility ruin my Christmas, but if I'm going to go into that, it's going to be in the Rant thread. But the good news is that Christmas is going well in every other part of my life thus far. Cookies are baked, presents are wrapped, and this year the Z's are all in good health. So I'm going to knock on wood that it stays that way.

My best friends are going to visit their family in SC, so I'm hosting their kitties starting tomorrow. I might go over to my outlaws for dinner tonight and on Christmas Day (their invitation was kind, and necessarily means my ex is not coming). Other than that, lot of house cleaning, possibly drinking, and watching TV shows. This reminds me, I need to wrap the presents for everyone.

I hate not being home for Christmas, but I have 0h of vacation left (meaning I'd miss Saint Stephen's Day in any case, not to mention Epiphany), and couldn't justify the price of two round-trip flights in the same year. Next year for sure.

Went to a wedding in Houston, which was nice. Otherwise, not a whole lot. Most of my classmates are off far away, while I'm stuck in Bradenton because Jun needs to work. Speaking of work. they'll be having her work a full day on Christmas day, so that's fun. Or whatever the opposite of that is. Good thing we already had a good trip together in Texas.

Both kids had their Christmas things at school which were cool. They also went up a rank in karate (Lily's a brown belt and Noah got his final patch on his blue belt). I finally baked some cookies with them today. Aussie has been making tamales. I have a bunch of time off over the next 2 weeks, so we're going to catch up with some local friends.

We are just about done packing before we head to my parents for Christmas. This hot mess express needs to get on the road before the calls start.

I hate when the calls start.

I'm going to admit, it's a non-plussed Christmas.

I'm no longer working in that hell-hole of a place in north central Wisconsin. However, I'm as uncertain about the economy as I've ever been.

I found out something about my dad's relationship status - but then found out my wife lost her grandmother this morning.

For some reason I just imagined your cat saying that with that same expression as in your avatar.

My Christmas is pretty good. I'm visiting family in San Diego until January 2. It's nice to have real Chinese food again because the knock-off Chinese joints in Tyler just don't cut it.

I was beginning to feel bummed about Christmas. I procrastinated this year and didn't get my stocking stuffers in November, when I saw them at the store. But it feels like everywhere around here has closed up Christmas 2 weeks early. None of the stores have any impulse Christmas stuff out, it feels like the holiday has already come and gone. And I absolutely couldn't find all of the cool stuff I was looking at last month.

Luckily, my local Barnes and Noble had more toys and games out and on display than the freaking Walmart of Target did. So I was able to put the final touches on the stocking stuffers in time.

Packing, packing, and packing. Today and tomorrow off. Today will be cleaning out the deep freezer (it’s small, but we have a dumpster here for things we have forgotten “down there” at the bottom), doing a Christmas Eve service at our church, and tonight playing Santa for the residents at the State “school” for people with severe developmental issues. (Real name is State Supported Living Center but was called a State School until about 5 years ago.)

This is what one of our rooms looks like right now.

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, we’ll have a brunch with my in-laws and then drive him down to Bush Intercontinental Airport for him to fly to Kansas City to be picked up by our daughter, all to drive back to here on Wednesday for her to visit for a week (and get her roped into helping us move). Wish that her husband could come too, but such is the life of a postal worker.

Well, I went by my grandparents place today after work for a traditional christmas eve bread meal (it's a thing they do) and since my dad is in the country for the holidays I asked him to pick me up. Midway through the evening he presents me with a bottle of cognac from my birthyear and a custom made gyuto (chef's knife) he brought over from Japan.

Merry Christmas!

(Tomorrow I'm headed to mom's side of the family for a hearty christmas dinner).

Had some garbage times with my racist brother. Cooked delicious dinner for my hospital bound grandma. Got to see my Godson on his first birthday. Heading south boxing day in order to go into the mountains with my lady for the new year. Got some fun low key loot.

I made it through the rush of Christmas Eve at work, with lots of good feedback on each service, so yay! Exhausting, as always, but it was good adrenaline, not bad.
And today my mom is coming over and spending the day with us - starting in an hour - so now it's just getting all the hot brunch foods out and cooking. And stealing myself for a day of passive-aggressive verbal abuse. Yay family!

My daughter's alarm has gone off three times now, but the only one that it has succeeded in waking up is me. I'm not really going to do anything about it until she decides to get up, because getting my husband and son out of bed, Christmas or no, will be an act of God and I'm not ready to deal with the crankiness yet. :p

My daughter's alarm has gone off three times now, but the only one that it has succeeded in waking up is me. I'm not really going to do anything about it until she decides to get up, because getting my husband and son out of bed, Christmas or no, will be an act of God and I'm not ready to deal with the crankiness yet. :p
I know your pain. We could never get our daughter up on Christmas morning, she woke up early ONCE while she lived with us. My wife's medication alarm went off, and I'm up because of it, but not her.

Last night we did our tradition of going to the State School to pass out presents to the residents there. Because of the nice weather we had a huge crew to get it done this year, about 35-40 people (it was partly cloudy and temps in the upper 50s f) and it took us only about an hour and a half to get all the presents to all the dorms (usually takes around 2 1/2 hours). It was nice to see so many new faces taking part in doing this.

Today is a very small Christmas for us, I have a box for my wife, she might have something for me. Heck, it could be sitting in the open and be hidden with all the packing going on. Later this morning we'll go to her parents for a brunch and then drive to Houston to drop her dad at the airport.

Thursday we'll have Christmas with my family, Friday we sign on our house, and Saturday we move. I seem to have misplaced the relaxing portion of Christmas this year. ;)