Export thread

How is your Christmas 2018?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I didn't know where else to post "A Very Spidey Christmas", so I'm starting a general Christmas thread. Post your favorite Christmas music. Tell us how your holidays are going. Share recipes for holiday goodies. Everything Christmas!

Dei

Dei

I didn't know where else to post "A Very Spidey Christmas", so I'm starting a general Christmas thread. Post your favorite Christmas music. Tell us how your holidays are going. Share recipes for holiday goodies. Everything Christmas!

I posted it in the last movie you watched thread! I didn't want to be the one to start a Christmas thread.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Same as every year: extended family get-together on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day with the immediate family, fighting off the plague I get around this time. :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just me and Julie again this year. We're happy to be together and doing our thing, even if this time some of that is fending off illness. It's our first Christmas in our new home.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Closest family is 50 miles away. Second closest 200+. So guess who gets the 11-hour split shift Christmas Day? And did I mention owner took away holiday pay?

I may get to go see mom on Monday, but that's the most I'm gonna get out of this Christmas. Sorry to be the thread downer.

[ETA] As soon as I posted this I watched the latest Hinomaruzoumo. Hype overload. THAT'S how you get your spirits lifted. :D

Bubble181

Bubble181

Today (Saturday), wedding of the sister of my sister-in-law's ex husband. I have no idea why we were even invited, but apparently we have to go and make a big show of being happy and having fun.
Tomorrow, a second-part birthday party of my girlfriend for her family (because half of them couldn't make it last time) has morphed into also-a-birthday-party-for-me with the whole in-law family. Didn't intend to have one, not even having a party with my friends or my own family, but oh well. Pancakes and my favorite dessert, it'll be fun.
Monday, work. And when I get home, celebrating my birthday with my girlfriend, with bison and ostrich steak. A bit of a splurge, but yummy!
Tuesday, home with the two of us, or maybe a friend of my girlfriend is coming over with her baby.
Wednesday, back to regular old work.

Dei

Dei

Celt Z

Celt Z

As of yesterday afternoon, my father is determined to let his selfishness and irresponsibility ruin my Christmas, but if I'm going to go into that, it's going to be in the Rant thread. But the good news is that Christmas is going well in every other part of my life thus far. Cookies are baked, presents are wrapped, and this year the Z's are all in good health. So I'm going to knock on wood that it stays that way.

Denbrought

Denbrought

My best friends are going to visit their family in SC, so I'm hosting their kitties starting tomorrow. I might go over to my outlaws for dinner tonight and on Christmas Day (their invitation was kind, and necessarily means my ex is not coming). Other than that, lot of house cleaning, possibly drinking, and watching TV shows. This reminds me, I need to wrap the presents for everyone.

I hate not being home for Christmas, but I have 0h of vacation left (meaning I'd miss Saint Stephen's Day in any case, not to mention Epiphany), and couldn't justify the price of two round-trip flights in the same year. Next year for sure.

Terrik

Terrik

Went to a wedding in Houston, which was nice. Otherwise, not a whole lot. Most of my classmates are off far away, while I'm stuck in Bradenton because Jun needs to work. Speaking of work. they'll be having her work a full day on Christmas day, so that's fun. Or whatever the opposite of that is. Good thing we already had a good trip together in Texas.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Both kids had their Christmas things at school which were cool. They also went up a rank in karate (Lily's a brown belt and Noah got his final patch on his blue belt). I finally baked some cookies with them today. Aussie has been making tamales. I have a bunch of time off over the next 2 weeks, so we're going to catch up with some local friends.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Getting to see my cousin before he takes a job in London, which is nice. Getting ready for my cooking/baking frenzy tomorrow and Xmas eve before splitting time between my fun and happy family and my fella's tense and joyless family. More good than bad going on, for sure

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

We are just about done packing before we head to my parents for Christmas. This hot mess express needs to get on the road before the calls start.

I hate when the calls start.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm going to admit, it's a non-plussed Christmas.

I'm no longer working in that hell-hole of a place in north central Wisconsin. However, I'm as uncertain about the economy as I've ever been.

I found out something about my dad's relationship status - but then found out my wife lost her grandmother this morning.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

For some reason I just imagined your cat saying that with that same expression as in your avatar.

My Christmas is pretty good. I'm visiting family in San Diego until January 2. It's nice to have real Chinese food again because the knock-off Chinese joints in Tyler just don't cut it.

Dei

Dei

My daughter and I went out painting today.

MVIMG_20181223_164245.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I was beginning to feel bummed about Christmas. I procrastinated this year and didn't get my stocking stuffers in November, when I saw them at the store. But it feels like everywhere around here has closed up Christmas 2 weeks early. None of the stores have any impulse Christmas stuff out, it feels like the holiday has already come and gone. And I absolutely couldn't find all of the cool stuff I was looking at last month.

Luckily, my local Barnes and Noble had more toys and games out and on display than the freaking Walmart of Target did. So I was able to put the final touches on the stocking stuffers in time.

evilmike

evilmike

Made some Christmas gifts for a pair younger relatives:
wood dino.png

figmentPez

figmentPez

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Packing, packing, and packing. Today and tomorrow off. Today will be cleaning out the deep freezer (it’s small, but we have a dumpster here for things we have forgotten “down there” at the bottom), doing a Christmas Eve service at our church, and tonight playing Santa for the residents at the State “school” for people with severe developmental issues. (Real name is State Supported Living Center but was called a State School until about 5 years ago.)

This is what one of our rooms looks like right now.

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, we’ll have a brunch with my in-laws and then drive him down to Bush Intercontinental Airport for him to fly to Kansas City to be picked up by our daughter, all to drive back to here on Wednesday for her to visit for a week (and get her roped into helping us move). Wish that her husband could come too, but such is the life of a postal worker.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

PADORU INTENSIFIES

Dei

Dei

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Have to acknowledge @WasabiPoptart's awesome Xmas avatar. :D

Wahad

Wahad

Well, I went by my grandparents place today after work for a traditional christmas eve bread meal (it's a thing they do) and since my dad is in the country for the holidays I asked him to pick me up. Midway through the evening he presents me with a bottle of cognac from my birthyear and a custom made gyuto (chef's knife) he brought over from Japan.

Merry Christmas!

(Tomorrow I'm headed to mom's side of the family for a hearty christmas dinner).

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Remember folks to practice your Texas accents for the annual tradition of calling @Dave on Xmas.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

He made it to Christmas. :heart: :heart:
F711B21D-D644-4B6F-A98E-5697FDA64FFA.jpeg
DC1C63BC-28DD-4F3F-8E99-B384942244E3.jpeg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Remember folks to practice your Texas accents for the annual tradition of calling @Dave on Xmas.
What is this practice you speak of? I speak fluent Houstonian, Dallas *and* Beaumont.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

What is this practice you speak of? I speak fluent Houstonian, Dallas *and* Beaumont.
There are also San Antonio, Austin, Panhandle, El Paso, and Toledo Bend variations.

Frank

Frank

Had some garbage times with my racist brother. Cooked delicious dinner for my hospital bound grandma. Got to see my Godson on his first birthday. Heading south boxing day in order to go into the mountains with my lady for the new year. Got some fun low key loot.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

There are also San Antonio, Austin, Panhandle, El Paso, and Toledo Bend variations.
Yeah, but I don't cotton to foreigners
:D

Dirona

Dirona

I made it through the rush of Christmas Eve at work, with lots of good feedback on each service, so yay! Exhausting, as always, but it was good adrenaline, not bad.
And today my mom is coming over and spending the day with us - starting in an hour - so now it's just getting all the hot brunch foods out and cooking. And stealing myself for a day of passive-aggressive verbal abuse. Yay family!

Dei

Dei

My daughter's alarm has gone off three times now, but the only one that it has succeeded in waking up is me. I'm not really going to do anything about it until she decides to get up, because getting my husband and son out of bed, Christmas or no, will be an act of God and I'm not ready to deal with the crankiness yet. :p

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My daughter's alarm has gone off three times now, but the only one that it has succeeded in waking up is me. I'm not really going to do anything about it until she decides to get up, because getting my husband and son out of bed, Christmas or no, will be an act of God and I'm not ready to deal with the crankiness yet. :p
I know your pain. We could never get our daughter up on Christmas morning, she woke up early ONCE while she lived with us. My wife's medication alarm went off, and I'm up because of it, but not her.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Last night we did our tradition of going to the State School to pass out presents to the residents there. Because of the nice weather we had a huge crew to get it done this year, about 35-40 people (it was partly cloudy and temps in the upper 50s f) and it took us only about an hour and a half to get all the presents to all the dorms (usually takes around 2 1/2 hours). It was nice to see so many new faces taking part in doing this.

Today is a very small Christmas for us, I have a box for my wife, she might have something for me. Heck, it could be sitting in the open and be hidden with all the packing going on. Later this morning we'll go to her parents for a brunch and then drive to Houston to drop her dad at the airport.

Thursday we'll have Christmas with my family, Friday we sign on our house, and Saturday we move. I seem to have misplaced the relaxing portion of Christmas this year. ;)

evilmike

evilmike

I compute you all a Merry Christmas!

Dave

Dave

I’m not at home this year. All you’ll do is annoy my son.

Merry Christmas!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Current view. Yay. :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm just happy to have recovered from a stomach bug in time for Christmas day. That's all the gift I need.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I spent Christmas Eve with my RL best friend and his family. Last night we played this... game?... where apparently my friend rolled about $200 in knickknacks, gift cards, candy, tiny liquor bottles, lottery scratch-offs, sports-team themed socks, and various other small prizes into a giant saran-wrap ball that ended up being about the size of a beach ball. We all sat in a circle around the dining room table, and one person would try to unwrap the thing while the next person rolled 2d6 as fast as they could until they got doubles, which would mean the ball had to be passed to them, and the next person would start rolling. Whatever came out of the ball while you unwrapped it was yours to keep (or trade with others when it was all over, if you so desired). If you tore the saran wrap, the ball had to be immediately passed to the next person.

It sounded kinda neat, I'd never done anything like this before, but holy shit. Whenever anyone over 30 (and especially "grandpa," my friend's father) got the ball, we were civil, jovial, intent but reserved.. but anyone under that went absolutely fucking ape. My friend's adult-aged kids (both the adult-aged and the 9 year old) and their significant others immediately turned into shrieking gollum-doubles whenever the ball came near them. At one point when the 25-year old boy rolled doubles he literally dove for the ball, wrenching it from the grasp of his 23 y/o brother-in-law while shrieking "DOUBLES!" that the table nearly collapsed under his assault.

And there was all kinds of dirty tricks going on, like as soon as someone yelled "doubles!" to indicate to pass the ball, the person WITH the ball would immediately quickly tear the saran wrap they were peeling off and slap the end back to the ball so it would be hard to find and re-peel. There were several instances of the ball-holder "accidentally" hitting a die when it came near them to knock it on the floor, giving them more time to unwrap without rolling happening.

And it took a lot longer to get to the middle than I thought - this went on for about 75 minutes. It is REALLY hard to unwrap a ball of plastic wrap stuck to itself without tearing the plastic, especially because it wasn't all one continuous roll. When it was all done, we distributed our secret santa gifts (while my friend got his tools and made repairs to the table).

All in all, between getting things to fall out and the after-trading, I made out pretty well I suppose. I traded away all my lottery tickets and starbucks/apple gift cards for DQ gift cards, liquor bottles (Tito's, Deep Eddy, Patron, and Kraken), a packet of Kountry Boy sausage, and a big bag of Reece's pieces. I plan to give the liquor bottles to my underlings at work tomorrow.

My family usually does the christmas thing the weekend AFTER Christmas, it's almost tradition now.

Dei

Dei

I traded away all my lottery tickets and starbucks/apple gift cards for DQ gift cards, liquor bottles (Tito's, Deep Eddy, Patron, and Kraken), a packet of Kountry Boy sausage, and a big bag of Reece's pieces.
*suspicious judging face*

GasBandit

GasBandit

*suspicious judging face*
Hey, even I deserve ice cream from time to time. It's taken me a few times for my brain to get the message, but I've come to accept my stomach just immediately refuses any burgers or greasy foods. I tried for "safer" stuff on the menu when I took Terrik and Jun out for BBQ and still ended up having to excuse myself to the restroom to ralf it right back up.

In fact I'm probably gonna have to give away this sausage, too.

chris

chris

Spending the three Christmas days with my younger sister and her three kids. Original plan was being alone at home playing games and watching movies/shows from my pile of shame. Then she asked if I come for Christmas.

Zappit

Zappit

I am sick with a cold today. Honestly got a little nervous when it started coming on. I ended up going to the hospital for the better part of a week the day after Christmas a few years ago due to a nasty, dehydrating illness. But, fortunately, this isn’t like that time.

Anonymous

Okay this is me being petty. I understand this.

My sister-in-law got married to a pretty rich guy. Since then she’s forgotten that most people don’t have money. And she throws it in our face without meaning to. So my nephew discovered that I’ve been streaming and so he wanted to as well. For Christmas he got everything that I have as a “wishlist” for my stream, like a yeti mic and a soundboard. And, of course, they had to tell me all about it.

I’m very annoyed and I realize that’s really just envy speaking, but there it is. At least she’s no longer preaching at me so I have that going for me.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think the 80's arcade game cabinet was a hit ;)

20181225_122046.jpg

drifter

drifter

Food, family, and swag. Got some really fun and thoughtful stuff this year! Gonna stuff my face with pie later.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I spent Christmas Eve with my RL best friend and his family. Last night we played this... game?... where apparently my friend rolled about $200 in knickknacks, gift cards, candy, tiny liquor bottles, lottery scratch-offs, sports-team themed socks, and various other small prizes into a giant saran-wrap ball that ended up being about the size of a beach ball. We all sat in a circle around the dining room table, and one person would try to unwrap the thing while the next person rolled 2d6 as fast as they could until they got doubles, which would mean the ball had to be passed to them, and the next person would start rolling. Whatever came out of the ball while you unwrapped it was yours to keep (or trade with others when it was all over, if you so desired). If you tore the saran wrap, the ball had to be immediately passed to the next person.

It sounded kinda neat, I'd never done anything like this before, but holy shit. Whenever anyone over 30 (and especially "grandpa," my friend's father) got the ball, we were civil, jovial, intent but reserved.. but anyone under that went absolutely fucking ape. My friend's adult-aged kids (both the adult-aged and the 9 year old) and their significant others immediately turned into shrieking gollum-doubles whenever the ball came near them. At one point when the 25-year old boy rolled doubles he literally dove for the ball, wrenching it from the grasp of his 23 y/o brother-in-law while shrieking "DOUBLES!" that the table nearly collapsed under his assault.

And there was all kinds of dirty tricks going on, like as soon as someone yelled "doubles!" to indicate to pass the ball, the person WITH the ball would immediately quickly tear the saran wrap they were peeling off and slap the end back to the ball so it would be hard to find and re-peel. There were several instances of the ball-holder "accidentally" hitting a die when it came near them to knock it on the floor, giving them more time to unwrap without rolling happening.

And it took a lot longer to get to the middle than I thought - this went on for about 75 minutes. It is REALLY hard to unwrap a ball of plastic wrap stuck to itself without tearing the plastic, especially because it wasn't all one continuous roll. When it was all done, we distributed our secret santa gifts (while my friend got his tools and made repairs to the table).

All in all, between getting things to fall out and the after-trading, I made out pretty well I suppose. I traded away all my lottery tickets and starbucks/apple gift cards for DQ gift cards, liquor bottles (Tito's, Deep Eddy, Patron, and Kraken), a packet of Kountry Boy sausage, and a big bag of Reece's pieces. I plan to give the liquor bottles to my underlings at work tomorrow.

My family usually does the christmas thing the weekend AFTER Christmas, it's almost tradition now.
I play that game my own way, when I get the dice I roll them one at a time and take the time to bless each dice for luck first.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's been okay.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Almost forgot...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bit of an ordeal the last 2 days, but I'm with family so its better.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

PatrThom

PatrThom

That’s, like, book jacket-worthy.

—Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That’s, like, book jacket-worthy.

—Patrick
I have a picture frame they gave me years ago that says something like "Best Uncle Ever." The glass on it broke and I kept meaning to get it fixed. I think I will now so I can fame this. Maybe put it on my desk at work.

drifter

drifter

I have a picture frame they gave me years ago that says something like "Best Uncle Ever." The glass on it broke and I kept meaning to get it fixed. I think I will now so I can fame this. Maybe put it on my desk at work.
You could fix it yourself for pretty cheap with an acrylic sheet from Home Depot (or whatever Canadian equivalent you have). You need a metal straight edge and a razor blade. Score the plastic with steady pressure, and then line up the scored line over the edge of a table. Apply pressure and it should snap clean off. Also some hardware stores can cut it for you, but they may charge for it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You could fix it yourself for pretty cheap with an acrylic sheet from Home Depot (or whatever Canadian equivalent you have). You need a metal straight edge and a razor blade. Score the plastic with steady pressure, and then line up the scored line over the edge of a table. Apply pressure and it should snap clean off. Also some hardware stores can cut it for you, but they may charge for it.

You vastly overestimate my handiness skills.

Frank

Frank

Sitting in the hospital with my non racist brother who apparently has a full blown staph infection on his ass.

Merry Christmas y'all.

phil

phil

Finally over. Really thinking about skipping it next year if that would even be possible. I mean I know I won't because I'm just being cranky about it and won't remember how much of a struggle it was this year but mayyyyyybe I will?

Still though, I guess everyone enjoyed their gift that I got them so I'm thankful for that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Good thing we find you handsome.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Good thing we find you handsome.
Wait, so you just keep me around because I'm good looking?

OH GOD, I'M THE BLACK WIDOW OF HALFORUMS.

*long pause*

@Cheesy1, I swear to Kirby, don't you dare touch that photoshop button.

drifter

drifter

Like I also said, some hardware stores will cut it for you for a small fee. Would still be cheaper than getting replacement glass, I imagine. Safer, too!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Like I also said, some hardware stores will cut it for you for a small fee. Would still be cheaper than getting replacement glass, I imagine. Safer, too!
There's a local crafting store with a big custom framing department that could do it, too.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm not one who gets attached to cute things with no practical use (like decorative pillows....), but I saw this adorable pillow at Rooms 2 Go a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. Jake noticed and went back to get it later. Turns out it was discontinued and was being used as a decoration, but they sold it to him anyway. I love it so much.

Attachments

Dave

Dave

Back home. Left Colorado Springs at 2 am local time due to storms coming up behind & ahead of us. We fortunately timed it right by going through Kansas and up instead of a more straight shot. Took us a LOT longer than normal but other than a couple HOURS of really dense fog, we only had a little rain. Had we waited it would have been fog, ice, & snow. But damn am I tired.

drifter

drifter

There's a local crafting store with a big custom framing department that could do it, too.
Sorry dude, just trying to save you a couple bucks.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

@Cheesy1, I swear to Kirby, don't you dare touch that photoshop button.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Merry Christmas, @ThatNickGuy ! :p

Nick Widow.jpg

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I hate you.

So much.

Frank

Frank

My brother's ass got drained and he's on antibiotics and we're heading south a day off schedule.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Why not both?

I hate you.

So much.
This sounds sooo credible.

jwhouk

jwhouk

"No you don't."

Shakey

Shakey

I’ve had the week off work, and it’s been good. Been able to spend a lot of time with family, and have been able to relax a bit.

We got 8+inches of snow so far today, and it’s still coming down. Snowmobile got a bit of a workout today dragging the kids around. Tomorrow I’ll get to try to plow it. Hoping to get a good sized pile.

Saturday will be another Christmas party at our place with the MIL family. It’s going to be probably well over 20 people, so this should be interesting...