[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

That's what they're leading with?
I think that was the joke, since they know people will do nothing but bitch about the cards anyway. Might as well get something like this out of the gate.

I thought it said, "Tickling Abomination."

Hmm...so that means basically "Set off the deathrattle of your other minions," maybe?

--Patrick
I could see that, but isn't it more beneficial to keep your deathrattle minions around, causing trouble for the opponent as long as possible, and then giving them a little more trouble when they die too? Besides, this auto-hills Umbra.

TIL Mages need even more insane card generation.

I don't think it's really that insane. There's so many meh (Nat Pagle) or outright bad legendary minions (Millhouse MANASTORM!) that it's a total crapshoot. It's fun sure, but it's likely going to be generally worse than Medivh, as you get 3 free minion summons with him (rather than 2 minions added to your hand you'll have to pay mana to play) and you have some control over which ones you get from the staff via the cost of the spells you cast. Obviously, the fact that it's random is going to mean it's going to high-roll and win the game sometimes, but like Yogg, there's going to be no consistency to it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't think it's really that insane. There's so many meh (Nat Pagle) or outright bad legendary minions (Millhouse MANASTORM!) that it's a total crapshoot. It's fun sure, but it's likely going to be generally worse than Medivh, as you get 3 free minion summons with him (rather than 2 minions added to your hand you'll have to pay mana to play) and you have some control over which ones you get from the staff via the cost of the spells you cast. Obviously, the fact that it's random is going to mean it's going to high-roll and win the game sometimes, but like Yogg, there's going to be no consistency to it.
By itself it's just a slow, inconsistent card. On top of all the crazy random Mage card generation, and stall cards, it's just more bullshit that makes it impossible to strategize against mages. Even if it turns out that this card isn't good enough, it still shows that the Hearthstone developers aren't really paying attention to what's wrong with the mage class.

By itself it's just a slow, inconsistent card. On top of all the crazy random Mage card generation, and stall cards, it's just more bullshit that makes it impossible to strategize against mages. Even if it turns out that this card isn't good enough, it still shows that the Hearthstone developers aren't really paying attention to what's wrong with the mage class.
I'd say they don't seem to have a problem with card generation, random or otherwise, in any class given how much of it Hearthstone has. I get that it makes strategizing harder, but it also leads to variety in gameplay and appears to be intentional on their part. I don't see how we can expect otherwise or think that it's a bug or oversight on the developers part.

Just remember that mana isn't the scarcest resource in Hearthstone. CARDS are. So anything that generates cards is going to be worth SO much more than mere face value.

--Patrick

Sindragosa is fine. On the turn she is played she's just an 8/8. The undead champions then need to die before the random legendaries are generated, and then the mage still has to pay for those legendaries. It's basically another Elise, who will generally net you a couple of legendaries, if not more.

Would be a great way to get Al'Akir if only it wasn't across classes.
I wonder if it works with cards like Tol'vir or Corpsetaker (cards that don't get DS unless a condition is met)?

--Patrick

Would be a great way to get Al'Akir if only it wasn't across classes.
I wonder if it works with cards like Tol'vir or Corpsetaker (cards that don't get DS unless a condition is met)?

--Patrick
Doubt it. But still, easy to game it so you get one specific card that otherwise might sit on the bottom of your deck all game.

figmentPez

Staff member
Defile and Spreading Plague both have a "cast this again" mechanic. Will this will trigger Gadgetzan Auctioneer multiple times, then?

I tried googling, but I can't seem to find if Auctioneer is triggered by the copy of spells cast on Djinni of Zephyrs .

Defile and Spreading Plague both have a "cast this again" mechanic. Will this will trigger Gadgetzan Auctioneer multiple times, then?

I tried googling, but I can't seem to find if Auctioneer is triggered by the copy of spells cast on Djinni of Zephyrs .
It is not, because you only cast the spell once. Same reason auctioneer doesn't draw cards from yog or servant of yog

figmentPez

Staff member
It is not, because you only cast the spell once. Same reason auctioneer doesn't draw cards from yog or servant of yog
Hearthstone is so convoluted sometimes. There's far too much that you can only know by playing, and that isn't explicit anywhere in the card text or rules. Hell, there's way too much that's contradictory in how the card text plays out from one card to the next.

Hearthstone is so convoluted sometimes. There's far too much that you can only know by playing, and that isn't explicit anywhere in the card text or rules. Hell, there's way too much that's contradictory in how the card text plays out from one card to the next.
But at least since it's a digital game, there's no rules lawyering arguing that stops a match in his tracks the way it does when playing Magic the Gathering (from my experience). You just put the crazy shit cards into play and let the effects take over.

But at least since it's a digital game, there's no rules lawyering arguing that stops a match in his tracks the way it does when playing Magic the Gathering (from my experience). You just put the crazy shit cards into play and let the effects take over.
The rules of HS do follow a logical progression (usually) once you learn the logic behind them.

figmentPez

Staff member
The rules of HS do follow a logical progression (usually) once you learn the logic behind them.
If you polled 100 Hearthstone players, how many could correctly predict the interactions on this card:

If a Hunter or Priest gets their hand on this card, will it cause their hero power to freeze as well? Will a Warlock freeze themselves?

It's not a game breaking issue, just a minor frustration. But it is real. Even Kripp has moments when he's unsure of how an interaction is going to work, and he plays a ton of arena, so he sees more unusual card combinations than most.

If a Hunter or Priest gets their hand on this card, will it cause their hero power to freeze as well? Will a Warlock freeze themselves?
Hunter and warlock will not gain any freeze effects because their hero power is not targeted (with the exception of hunter in wild running steamwheedle sniper.) Since the priest hero power is targeted, it should gain the freeze effect.

At least, that's how it should work given the current game mechanics. Whenever they introduce new things like this they also tend to introduce bugs, but that's how it -should- happen.

I might answer this question with another question.
If Mayor Noggenfogger is on the table, does a Priest accidentally heal someone else? When a hunter uses his hero power, does the shot wander around looking for a new target? Does a Warlock accidentally draw a card for the opponent?

--Patrick

I might answer this question with another question.
If Mayor Noggenfogger is on the table, does a Priest accidentally heal someone else? When a hunter uses his hero power, does the shot wander around looking for a new target? Does a Warlock accidentally draw a card for the opponent?

--Patrick

Yes, no, no.