[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
Prediction, there will be a minion released with the card text "Battlecry: Freeze this minion", most likely a Shaman card.

I see Cryostasis being used a lot on your own taunt minions.
...now I'm wondering if there will be some sort of card that says, "<Blah> to everything that isn't frozen."

--Patrick

Deck of that card, low cost cards, and Un'Goro Nesingwary. Have Nesingwary destroy your deck, draw Archbishop, play, boom, you got a copy of your opponent's deck, no filler :D.

I get the feeling the upcoming meta isn't going to be the relatively balanced experience of the past four months. Some of these new cards are all about doing nasty stuff during a match.

My wife's been looking it over and is glad she's been taking a break.

I get the feeling the upcoming meta isn't going to be the relatively balanced experience of the past four months. Some of these new cards are all about doing nasty stuff during a match.

My wife's been looking it over and is glad she's been taking a break.
If it makes you feel any better, none of the cards that have been revealed so far are meta-breaking from the current. They do odd things, but so far they've also been really slow, and should get shat on by the current aggro decks that mostly define how the other decks are played.

Kripp was playing the funniest, and also probably most rage inducing wild deck at the end of his stream last night.
Screenshot_20170801-015946.png

If it makes you feel any better, none of the cards that have been revealed so far are meta-breaking from the current. They do odd things, but so far they've also been really slow, and should get shat on by the current aggro decks that mostly define how the other decks are played.
It doesn't bother me too much. I've accepted that regardless of balance or skill, I'm not putting in the time needed to climb too high on the ladder, especially when I split time between standard and ranked. I'm just noting what it looks like from this pre-release stage. Which is hard to gauge how that'll affect the actual release.

Blizzard's fix for the pity timer bug seems to be that you'll get a legendary within your next 10 packs of any release, even if you opened packs of that type before.

I tested ... on all of them. >_< got a lot less gold, but several more legendaries. HOWEVER probably only works if you opened packs during the bug's existence, so YMMV.

figmentPez

Staff member
Valeera the Hollow, DisguisedToast and HysteriA are going to have some fun with this one.

My first thought was "Imagine the chain of Eviscerates!" but since you only get one a turn, you'd then have to survive long enough to get a handful, and that's probably not happening. This seems potentially powerful, but it's not immediately obvious to me what type of cards you want to copy with this.

figmentPez

Staff member
If quest hunter wasn't already dead ... hell, quest rogues might need to rethink things if this card gets popular.
Quest Hunter was 1-cost minions, not spells.

This is also very annoying for Mages. One cost spells are very useful for triggering Antonidas.

Well, that's a Jade Druid counter alright, the developer who said it was coming wasn't kidding.
It's also a Christmas Tree Paladin counter!... But only if you can get it out first.[DOUBLEPOST=1501782186,1501781972][/DOUBLEPOST]Blizzard is going to start sending out "Your Month in Hearthstone" emails (to people who have their communication preferences set to allow it). The email will have various stats about your play, some possibilities are:
  • Highest win streak
  • Highest rank
  • Highest win rate
  • Highest matchup win rate (by class)
  • Players knocked out of the Arena
  • Players knocked out of the Arena in a single run
  • Best Arena record
  • Brawl wins
  • Total wins
  • Number of different countries played against

So, there's been talk on the hearthstone reddit and forums for past few days that there's been an unusual bump in legendary drop rate that people are seeing with the old expansions since the pack changes have gone live, with people reporting getting legendaries within the first few packs of most, if not all expansions, even if they weren't anywhere close to the pity timer, as if the guaranteed legendary in ten packs rule is in effect, even though they've bought packs from the expansions before. Now, there have also been people who reported to see no increase, so this certainly does not apply to everyone, but with my big pile of gold I had saved up, I thought I'd test it out. I ended up pulling a legendary within 10 packs of every expansion, though not the classic set, along with a higher than usual number of golden cards:

My per expansion breakdown looks like this:
Whispers of the Old Gods (for which my last pulled legendary was the last pack I bought a month or so ago, after which I stopped buying any more packs of this expansion):
8 packs - 1 Legendary (Hogger, Doom of Elwynn), 1 Golden Common (Bilefin Tidehunder), 3(!) Golden Rares (Infest, Forlorn Stalker, Darkshire Librarian)

Un'goro (last legendary in last 5 packs):
5ish packs (I opened a few after the pack changes were live that I had been saving, only bought 2 more to test this today) - 1 Legendary (Lakkari Sacrifice), 1 Golden Common (Eggnapper), 1 Golden Rare (Direhorn Hatchling)

Mean Streets (no previous legendary, not sure how many packs I'd opened back when it was new, maybe 20ish):
8 packs - 2 Legendaries (Shaku and Auctionmaster Beardo), 1 Golden Common (Grimy Gadgeteer), 1 golden rare (Drakanoid Operative)

Classic (not sure how long since previous legendary):
10ish packs (like Un'goro, I had some saved ones I opened last week, bought 6 today) - no legendaries, 1 Golden Common (Spellbreaker), 1 Golden Rare (Mind Control Tech)

Now, as I said before and you can see in the reddit thread I linked, there are a number of people who have tested this and not gotten legendaries in the first few packs, especially with the Classic Set, but you might find it worth the gamble to try it out. if you do, I'd suggest picking an expansion, buy one or two packs at a time, and if you don't get any legendaries in the first 10 packs, cut your losses there.

It worked for me days back, don't know if it still does. I didn't keep track of exact numbers, but more goldens, at least a legendary in first 10 of each, and my first golden legendary.

Oh yeah, I should say that I literally just did this in the last couple of hours, so if this "bug" or whatever this is affects you, it should still be active.
Trying to decide if I want to blow any more of my hard-saved gold before the expansion hits though. I had 7700, now I have ... less. Quite a bit less.

Trying to decide if I want to blow any more of my hard-saved gold before the expansion hits though. I had 7700, now I have ... less. Quite a bit less.
You mean to buy more than 10 packs of an expansion? If so, I don't think there have been reports of this continuing past that, though I might have missed them.

But yeah, I had around 3500 gold before this, now down to a little under a thousand. Still enough to get my guaranteed legendary for Frozen Throne and a few more packs past that, and all these legendaries and gold cards were worth it.