Halforum Minecraft Server

GasBandit

Staff member
So much for that. Daily mail posted a screenshot of the signs. :D
WELP.

Though, I have to say I took a look around and, though the story has a page, it doesn't seem to appear on FeMail (which is the section it seems to be assigned to) or the front page... so I don't think anybody but us is seeing it.

Dave

Staff member
I'm not worried, Gas. I'm not the most anonymous person on the internet anyway. Hell, if you can't find out my real name you're not trying very hard.[DOUBLEPOST=1394757959,1394757906][/DOUBLEPOST]And it is very nice to see this getting the attention. And the related story is about funding research for ovarian cancer. If this does nothing else, it may help in that way.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not worried, Gas. I'm not the most anonymous person on the internet anyway. Hell, if you can't find out my real name you're not trying very hard.[DOUBLEPOST=1394757959,1394757906][/DOUBLEPOST]And it is very nice to see this getting the attention. And the related story is about funding research for ovarian cancer. If this does nothing else, it may help in that way.
I wish I'd thought to add the OCRF link to the description when it was big on reddit. Doh well.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently you can prevent derails entirely by simply placing a block after the turn, like so:

That doesn't address the "can't go uphill" problem though, unfortunately. Here's hoping that part is a bug that gets taken out.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, one thing that IS nice about it, they changed the max minecart speed from 4x walking speed to 25x walking speed.

Though I foresee some chunk loading issues from that.[DOUBLEPOST=1394768041,1394767632][/DOUBLEPOST]
Though, I have to say I took a look around and, though the story has a page, it doesn't seem to appear on FeMail (which is the section it seems to be assigned to) or the front page... so I don't think anybody but us is seeing it.
Whup, there it is, waaay down 3/4ths of the way down the main page (but not the FeMail section).

Well, one thing that IS nice about it, they changed the max minecart speed from 4x walking speed to 25x walking speed.

Though I foresee some chunk loading issues from that.
It can get choppy on single player. I'm guessing it's just going to be too fast for servers. Hell, the current speed is almost too fast.

Also, I've left you a map in your "mail" chest Gas. Small, but I hope you like it. I can see it maybe going in an item frame, or not.

GasBandit

Staff member
What else is there to do with it?
Well, for me... I dyed about 30 sheep purple. And used exactly 18 lapis blocks for the not-diamond part of the irises.[DOUBLEPOST=1394776890,1394776788][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, I've left you a map in your "mail" chest Gas. Small, but I hope you like it. I can see it maybe going in an item frame, or not.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I did some playing with rails, and it seems there is a diminishing return on powered rails up a hill. You can't just power it up a hill, you need the cart to be going full speed to make it up any sort of distance. To make it up your hill @GasBandit I needed 13 powered rails before the start of the hill to have enough momentum make it.

Corners aren't too bad, unless you have a turn at the bottom of a hill. An unpowered powered rail can slow you down, but that pretty much makes it a one way track. Maybe a detector rail could fix that. You still need a good long stretch of powered rail to get you up a hill, so having a turn that close to a hill will be an issue no matter what.

It still seems like a change meant to do nothing but make the game more complicated, which is not the best for a game like this.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll bet what it is is dinnerbone monkeyed with acceleration to smooth the deltaV transition up to the new max speed, and didn't realize (or didn't care) that gravity itself is usually represented in simulations such as this as a constant downward acceleration... and maybe the powered rails confuse this reverse acceleration for directional momentum and start fighting themselves to apply the speed increase in both directions, thus largely cancelling themselves out. That seems like the kind of mistake that is commonly made.

I still hope it gets fixed before 1.8 goes live.

I saw it more as an attempt to require both powered rail AND a minecart engine to be able to make it up hills.

--Patrick

I saw it more as an attempt to require both powered rail AND a minecart engine to be able to make it up hills.

--Patrick
I haven't figured out how you'd do that though. You have to have the engine behind you to push you, but if you are in a minecart and add coal to the engine behind you, it goes the other way.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is there much use for feathers? I have been tossing them.
combined with books and ink, written books make for pretty good villager trading.

But yeah, aside from that (which is limited by amount), once you have all the arrows you need... not much else to do with them.

There was also the problem that if the engine got out of range, it would stop. This was a big problem in my server, since we built a rail that could deliver cargo (fill a chest cart, send it down the line, repeat, collect them all later) but then we discovered that the engine would always halt when it got to the point far enough away from the player where the chunks weren't loaded any more.

--Patrick

Anyone have villagers that trade for diamond hat and leggings? I found a source for shirt and shoes and tools but no hat or leggings.

figmentPez

Staff member
Anyone have villagers that trade for diamond hat and leggings? I found a source for shirt and shoes and tools but no hat or leggings.
I know for certain that, between my village and the natural one, you can get every sort of diamond equipment. I just don't remember where.

If you're missing an anvil drop me a line. Someone who-shall-not-be-named was feeling helpful and went around collecting your anvils so he could fix them. He had one left and couldn't remember which house it came from.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not me...

Could it maybe be the one that was at the bottom of the blaze grinder? (I didn't go check to see if it was still there)

Not me, either. Mine is right where I left it.
How do you "fix" an anvil? I thought you just had to remake them when they broke.

--Patrick

I thought you just had to remake them when they broke.--Patrick
That is actually what he was doing. That isn't what he told me though. I don't play so I have no idea.

Also, he says it wasn't from the blaze grinder. I don't know. If you need an anvil, if yours is broken or whatever, catch him in game and he'll give you a shiny new one.

GasBandit

Staff member
The 3d print arrived today - unfortunately the pickaxe broke off in shipping. I've e-mailed them to ask what the best stuff is to use to glue it back on.

This stuff is really delicate. I feel like I can't hold it very tightly or I risk crushing it.

Edit - added cigarette lighter for scale.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Think they'll send you a new one?
I'm not sure it would not break as well. The thing was very well packed in two kinds of bubble wrap inside the box... but the fact that the pick sticks out away from the main structure unsupported means it's the bubble wrap itself snapping it off. I've heard back from them, they asked for pictures and a description of the packing and whatnot, and said the model is made of Cyanoacrylate so any superglue using that should work.

I'm not sure it would not break as well. The thing was very well packed in two kinds of bubble wrap inside the box... but the fact that the pick sticks out away from the main structure unsupported means it's the bubble wrap itself snapping it off. I've heard back from them, they asked for pictures and a description of the packing and whatnot, and said the model is made of Cyanoacrylate so any superglue using that should work.
I've used a lot of CA glue in my time (I used to build R/C model airplanes... intend to again some day) so be sure to get some from a model store that is "thick". The thin stuff will set faster, but it also runs all over the place, and so could ruin other parts of the structure. Medium or Thick from the model store would be best, as it "stays in place" for you, though it'll take a minute or two to completely dry. You'll only need a drop, and the time sucks, but it's better than getting the thin (that's what's usually in "crazy glue" or what not), have it run all over, and then start "melting" other parts of it.

Good luck.