Halforum Minecraft Server

That's ok. 1.7.9 is out now too...
You posted this at 10:35am.
I kid you not, I finally got around to updating my server to 1.7.8 at 8:00am, only about 90min earlier.
And now I'm at work and can't do anything about it until I get home in 8hrs.
:mad::mad::mad:

--Patrick

Just an FYI. Oracle has released an update to Java.
No, I'm not talking about the 7r55 update, I meant the upgrade to Java 8, a version which is supposed to have better dynamic interpretation and faster execution, etc.
Word of warning, though. Java 8 requires Vista or better on Windows, and OS 10.8.3 or better on Mac, so anyone who hasn't (or can't) do the upgrade from WinXP or Lion will be forced to still muddle along with Java 7 for the rest of their computers' lives.

--Patrick

They finally released a new snapshot. Looks like minecarts are back to normal. I'm not sure if the speed is the same, but there is no derailing and carts can make it up a hill again.

I wonder if something like that could be used to make THE MOST AWESOME FAST TRAVEL EVER.

--Patrick
Corners would be tricky. You'd also need to figure out how to get the pistons to go faster. Might be cool if you could make a giant spider that could crawl around on the map.

I don't know/remember when it happened, but thanks to Aussie for making the mail hut at spawn. Really nice and clean.

I had to move the server. I should be able to get it up again tomorrow. I had hoped it wouldn't take me this long.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

No worries. I wondered whether your project might've been discovered.
...but the new location means better connections and less lag, right? :D

--Patrick

No, there was no real chance of that. Some other things happened that made me take it down before I was ready though.

I had been thinking about throwing this out. I have hosting service through godaddy for my website(s) of which I barely ever use. would it be of use to the MC server?

GasBandit

Staff member
I had been thinking about throwing this out. I have hosting service through godaddy for my website(s) of which I barely ever use. would it be of use to the MC server?
Unless it is a VPM of rather expensive caliber (or dedicated machine), probably not. Most webhosting packages are crammed several to a physical server, and don't have heavy allocations of either ram or CPU cycles as the demands of most websites are very small on those resources. However, they're the two most important for Minecraft servers, I'd say even more important than bandwidth really. Almost always, when you experience "lag" playing minecraft, it isn't actually network latency, but rather the server being unable to keep up with the processing demands made by the changes to the world made by the clients.

Because Java.

Oh, which also reminds me.. most webhosting also doesn't let you run executables, other than scripts in such things as CGI, Perl, or PHP.

Is there a way to get a copy of the map? or at least the bits important to us who built them? (meaning Gas' monument or my corvette)

Dave

Staff member
There's also the new Minecraft hosting. But right now you can't upload your old worlds to it. Once you can, I think it would be okay to move to one of those. It would be faster and the updates would be smoother.

There's also the new Minecraft hosting. But right now you can't upload your old worlds to it. Once you can, I think it would be okay to move to one of those. It would be faster and the updates would be smoother.
They also have a limit of 20 authorized players. Which would kinda suck. I'll be doing an actual host this time, so it should hopefully be better.

Ooook. New server is up. The new address is 198.154.113.26. If you get a chance, can you update the halforums address @Dave.[DOUBLEPOST=1401667774,1401667225][/DOUBLEPOST]Balls, I wrote more but it won't show.

Last edited:
They also have a limit of 20 authorized players. Which would kinda suck. I'll be doing an actual host this time, so it should hopefully be better.
Ya that's the big problem. We need way more authorised. Not concurrent, but total is way above 20.

Dave

Staff member
Ah! Gotcha! Jesus I need sleep.[DOUBLEPOST=1401680051,1401679880][/DOUBLEPOST]Done. May take a few minutes to switch in the system.

Dave

Staff member
Try using the IP address. For some reason the redirect isn't working and all I did was change the stupid number!