Halforum Minecraft Server

Dave

Staff member
I thought they said that minecart boosters were going to be a thing again, too.
Perhaps they are pushing for using furnace carts as engines instead of relying on powered rail?

--Patrick
But powered rail is so easy to use and logical. The logic behind booster tracks were just stupid.

So our entire Nether network is basically broken?
Pretty much. Any hill over about 3 blocks high stops you and sends you back the other direction unless you're holding the forward key. I loaded a backup of our world into a single player of the snapshot and it definitely doesn't work right.[DOUBLEPOST=1394728323,1394727858][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, sometimes it works to go up hill. Sometimes it doesn't. It's definitely different...

Dave

Staff member
God damn it. I freaking hate booster rails. And so much of that nether network is made on thin floors that trying to expand is going to plunge people to their dooms.

GasBandit

Staff member
Good thing you made your video when you did.

--Patrick
Yes, that is good. But if that track is broken by the patch, I am still of a mind to burn all Stockholm to the ground.

I don't get why they just. can't. leave. minecarts. the fuck. alone. I mean, was the booster bug really that bad to begin with?

There isn't a whole lot I'm looking forward to in 1.8. We might be sticking around on 1.7x for a while.[DOUBLEPOST=1394731063,1394731001][/DOUBLEPOST]
But if that track is broken by the patch, I am still of a mind to burn all Stockholm to the ground.
:hide:

GasBandit

Staff member
I just hope the next snapshot says something like "reverted minecart changes to how they are currenly in 1.7.5. Please put away the knives."

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't get why they just. can't. leave. minecarts. the fuck. alone. I mean, was the booster bug really that bad to begin with?
I think one of Minecraft's ongoing problems has been the conflict between gamers who want MC to be a grindy, difficult, rogue-lite; and those who want it to be a creative community experience. It's the problem between what MC was envisioned to be, and what made it popular.

Dave

Staff member
There isn't a whole lot I'm looking forward to in 1.8. We might be sticking around on 1.7x for a while.[DOUBLEPOST=1394731063,1394731001][/DOUBLEPOST]
:hide:
1.8 does the rendering differently and should greatly relieve the stress on the server. That and the new rules on enchanting/repairing are worth the switch.

I mean, we might get a fix on the minecarts by then. Everyone is up in arms about it.

1.8 does the rendering differently and should greatly relieve the stress on the server. That and the new rules on enchanting/repairing are worth the switch.

I mean, we might get a fix on the minecarts by then. Everyone is up in arms about it.
We'll see what the final version looks like. It just feels like so much of this patch is about breaking stuff that doesn't need to be touched.

GasBandit

Staff member

I hope so... I haven't seen a whole lot of outrage on the minecraft forums as of yet (just a little "I don't like this change" type stuff).

As for rendering/server stress... the server doesn't do any "rendering." Rendering, by definition (converting data into a graphical representation) is all done client side. Are they changing tile state calculation or something? I'd find it hard to believe, that would open a great big door to client hackers.

Dave

Staff member
I hope so... I haven't seen a whole lot of outrage on the minecraft forums as of yet (just a little "I don't like this change" type stuff).

As for rendering/server stress... the server doesn't do any "rendering." Rendering, by definition (converting data into a graphical representation) is all done client side. Are they changing tile state calculation or something? I'd find it hard to believe, that would open a great big door to client hackers.
Okay maybe I used the wrong words. They are treating everything as separate worlds, so if we have a bunch on and some are nether they are considered different and it serves them up differently. But then again there are those complaining about an 1.8 memory leak, so we'll see how it works.

But I need my enchanting, man! I've been saving my Lapis like a miser!

GasBandit

Staff member
Okay maybe I used the wrong words. They are treating everything as separate worlds, so if we have a bunch on and some are nether they are considered different and it serves them up differently. But then again there are those complaining about an 1.8 memory leak, so we'll see how it works.

But I need my enchanting, man! I've been saving my Lapis like a miser!
Ah, I see, yeah, I think it's a language/feature name issue... they carried over the term "rendering distance" from single player to multiplayer even though in a multiplayer context it isn't a rendering distance but a chunk-serving distance.

... they're treating every player's loaded chunks as a separate world? I can see how that'd swallow up memory like a megalodon.

Ah, I see, yeah, I think it's a language/feature name issue... they carried over the term "rendering distance" from single player to multiplayer even though in a multiplayer context it isn't a rendering distance but a chunk-serving distance.

... they're treating every player's loaded chunks as a separate world? I can see how that'd swallow up memory like a megalodon.
They're breaking up the regular world, the nether, and the end. I think it's like how Bukkit stores their worlds. That way if someone has 150 blazes spawned in the grinder in the nether, it won't affect those in the regular world as much.

GasBandit

Staff member
They're breaking up the regular world, the nether, and the end. I think it's like how Bukkit stores their worlds. That way if someone has 150 blazes spawned in the grinder in the nether, it won't affect those in the regular world as much.
Speaking as the guy who implemented/maintained the server with multiple bukkit worlds, it does every bit as much. The only thing making them different "worlds" will accomplish is help with memory and processing load when nobody's in one of those other maps... which I thought was the case already, but I guess not.

Dave

Staff member
Holy shitsnacks![DOUBLEPOST=1394741874,1394741345][/DOUBLEPOST]Reddit never gets a mention, and just think of the ad revenue I missed out on! :rofl:

GasBandit

Staff member
Holy shitsnacks![DOUBLEPOST=1394741874,1394741345][/DOUBLEPOST]Reddit never gets a mention, and just think of the ad revenue I missed out on! :rofl:
Well, I did plug Halforums in the video description... if anybody reads that far.

Dave

Staff member
Don't worry, according to analytics, 66% of the people who watch it turn it off before that point anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1394743962,1394743616][/DOUBLEPOST]
Kinda figures it'd be Salon though, doesn't it.
Daily Dot first, then Salon. Next will be Daniel Tosh making fun of you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Daily Dot first, then Salon. Next will be Daniel Tosh making fun of you.
I tell ya, it took a great deal of willpower not to respond to the guy who posted the comment on the video "That looks like maybe a 25 hour build." Schyeah, in creative maybe. But when you can't fly and have to dig up the building materials, it takes longer.