HalFitness

fade

Staff member
I used to be a damn good 5k runner in high school. I still walked, but that was kid laziness. I'd get out ahead of the whole pack into the woods somewhere and stop and walk. My teammate who was better than me smoked on runs sometimes. That guy was something. He was like 5 feet tall, never came to practice, but could dance across the 5k course at near state-record speed. He was some kind of mutant or something.

My husband is one of those assholes who can sit on his ass for weeks/months and then get up and do a 5k in 24 minutes like it's nothing. If he actually tried and trained he'd probably be ridic.

Been gradually getting back into yoga. The DDP Yoga, of course, because it's my favourite. I'm down to 227 pounds (from 230+) and starting to feel better. I've been doing the 10-minute Wake Up almost every day and recently added the 12-minute Red Hot Core workout to that.

Tonight, for the first time in months, I did the 50-minute, very intense Diamond Cutter workout. Because yoga allows you to practice it at various levels, I did most of the poses down on one knee (like lunges) or both knees (pushups). But I managed to finish it. I was exhausted by the time I was done, but I finished it.

And here's the sweaty yoga mat and soaked t-shirt to prove it :

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm at the point where I'm bulky with some new muscle, but I haven't lost much fat yet. Or at least it's really really gradual. My sleeves are tight, but one of my students said I have "boy muscles." I said, "no indeed, sir, these are lady muscles."

Blergh. Can't motivate myself to go to the gym. I hate working out, being sore for two or three days afterwards, not knowing what I'm doing, being looked at by the 25-year-old jock type idiots doing crappy excercises (I may not be good at knowing what to do, but even I can tell some of the stuff they're doing is more likely to break the machine than improve their muscles in any meaningful way) (I could be racist and point out that it's always a bunch of young fit immigrant guys hanging around trying to look tough and doing not much else but I'll refrain...Doesn't mean it helps any with feeling safe or secure, though, especially for women who are staying away), feeling lost, not seeing any improvement (quite the contrary, I'm just eating more because of the excercise and gaining more weight...and no, it's not just muscles unless they're all concentrated around my waistline)...add in my lack of any regularity in my working hours meaning I rarely know in advance when I'll have the time to go, lack of time, general depression meaning I Don't have energy or interest in doing much of anything anyway, and ugh.
Someone have some motivation to spare?

It only hurts for two or three days after for a few weeks, then it starts to go away?

I am useless, I haven't been doing my running for 2 weeks now. I have to start up again next week though because my daughter's school running club starts up again, so at least I'll have no more excuses. I'm sure it will suck so bad, but I'm going to do it anyways because I hate huffing and puffing doing simple things.

I'm at the point where I'm bulky with some new muscle, but I haven't lost much fat yet. Or at least it's really really gradual. My sleeves are tight, but one of my students said I have "boy muscles." I said, "no indeed, sir, these are lady muscles."
I've got one muscle that's for my lady! :awesome:

Cajungal

Staff member
@Bubble181 I have a hard time motivating myself. When I try the "rewards" system that works for so many (doing something nice for yourself after hitting certain milestones), it just bugs me. I'm a goddamned adult, and if I want a pair of shoes I'm going to buy the shoes. So dangling carrots doesn't work. The thought of looking good works a little, but not much, because I've always been heavy and don't really wonder about what being thin would like. Thinness isn't my end goal so much as feeling comfortable in my body and "well."

So I've been doing positive self-talk. I frame everything as "I get to..." This works for me because I have so many coworkers with kids who never have time for themselves. I like to exercise, and I get to. I get to take long walks. I get to jump rope. I get to watch reruns while I do resistance exercises. It's really a privilege.

I'm doing a 30 Day Fitness challenge. Thirty days to work up to a 5 minute plank. I started on Tuesday which in addition to the first of the month was my b-day.
At this point it isn't even about weight loss or fitness, but instead I need to re-train my thinking about having time to exercise. I've been really bad about making time to exercise, so I'm hoping that doing something this small will get me moving in the right direction. It's not that I have to "find time", because I have a lot of time that I spend doing mindless crap. I can't excuse away 40 seconds, a minute, 90 seconds....etc. Noah's decided to do the challenge with me which is helpful since he is one of those kids who follows the rules or schedules to a T.

Created a new program for myself and the results have been stellar so far. Normally my strength is well rounded but my endurance is a weak spot. I took my main lifts at around 85% of 1RM and began to max out reps for that level (dead-lift, squat, bench press, overhead press). Being able to do multiple reps at near max is a real mood boost!

I spent all summer running, and took a month off because I slacked and now I can't even do the wussiest intervals anymore. [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24]

Cajungal

Staff member
Joining a gym, woooo. I run around my apartment complex and have an elliptical machine, but it'll be nice to have access to different types of weights and other machines. Jake's been dying for a place where he can lift weights again, and we've been putting it off for a long time. We talked ourselves out of it to save money. But at this point we could both use a change of scenery.

Joining a gym, woooo. I run around my apartment complex and have an elliptical machine, but it'll be nice to have access to different types of weights and other machines. Jake's been dying for a place where he can lift weights again, and we've been putting it off for a long time. We talked ourselves out of it to save money. But at this point we could both use a change of scenery.
Please don't join Planet Fitness

Cajungal

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, why not?
They're so non-judgmental that they end up being pretty judgmental. They have a "lunk alert"--a bell they ring when someone drops a dumbbell loudly. You can get kicked out for it too, because it's seen as posturing or showing off. That's what I've heard, anyway. They seen so hellbent on being an everyday Joe gym that they end up being rude to people who take the fitness lifestyle more seriously.

GasBandit

Staff member
They're so non-judgmental that they end up being pretty judgmental. They have a "lunk alert"--a bell they ring when someone drops a dumbbell loudly. You can get kicked out for it too, because it's seen as posturing or showing off. That's what I've heard, anyway. They seen so hellbent on being an everyday Joe gym that they end up being rude to people who take the fitness lifestyle more seriously.
Sooo, more like Planet Free Waterfall, Jr.

WE HAVE A LION WE TAUGHT TO EAT TOFU

Cajungal

Staff member
Yeah, it kind of sucks when people who feel insecure at the gym go out of their way to make other people feel insecure. Apparently it started as an attempt to discourage people from douchey gym posturing and just went wayyyy too far in the other direction. You can eat free pizza there on Mondays, for God's sake.

You can't deadlift, you can't have more than 3 plates on the bars and grunting is not allowed. I don't like yelling but if you are not pushing yourself you are not growing. Plus I don't see pizza party nights and tootsie rolls at the front desk as productive unless you are trying to keep people coming back and not getting any results.

Cajungal

Staff member
Plus I don't see pizza party nights and tootsie rolls at the front desk as productive unless you are trying to keep people coming back and not getting any results.
Yeah, that seems pretty counter-productive. If we ever joined this one I'd stay away on Monday. I hate Tootsie Rolls, so that's not a problem.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, that seems pretty counter-productive. If we ever joined this one I'd stay away on Monday. I hate Tootsie Rolls, so that's not a problem.
The fruit tootsie rolls are GasBandit kryptonite. I bought a 5 pound bag online for 10 bucks once. MISTAKE.