General Empyrion Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Eleon's working on a big "Anniversary update" to commemorate them being on steam (in early access) for 3 years this august. From what I've seen, it mostly looks like graphical/model changes, though they're being quiet about it other than screenshots. Also, they've published a list of things they want to accomplish -

Outlook for the Future:

Even though we have come a loooong way with Empyrion, we are not stopping here - we still have big plans for our baby. Here are some features that we still want to integrate in the near future (either during Early Access or shortly after):

- More solar systems
- Better skill, research and progression system (rework of the current tech tree unlock system)
- Better collision model and more realistic controller for vessels
- Energy shields for vessels
- Automatization
- Introducing realistic weight
- More threats (AI and environmental)
I wish Automation was higher on that list, heh. Energy shields could be neat, I guess... I dread what "realistic weight" is gonna do to client performance, given their track record :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently the next version of EAH will let the CB:GetShipHere command combine with the undock command, which should help with all the glitching HVs/SVs we have lately.

Now I want to know if they mean below the height of the turret, or the height of the HV itself.
I dread what "realistic weight" is gonna do to client performance, given their track record :p
Blocks of combat steel are now too heavy for players to carry even a single one in inventory and therefore you and a friend must team up to ferry them one at a time from the constructor to your waiting HV for transport.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The tactic (that still feels like an exploit!) of lowering an armored damage-sponging CV over a base and then blowing it away from the sides with SVs means that even our defense towers are useless.
Well, it would be "less" sploity if they were actually actively tanking the damage... turns out, I've learned from Dimento, what they do is turret-dive with the CV, then once it's in a sufficiently obstructive place, they pull their own core.

This makes the base turrets stop targeting the CV (which never had turrets on it in the first place), and it can be then used as "cover" for them, their SVs and HVs to pop-out-and-fire-and-hide-again until you run out of turrets on your base structures.

Seems to me, the only countermeasure I can think of right off the top of my head would be to build an extraordinarily TALL defense tower to shoot down at it from above, but then you run into vulnerabilities based on Structural Integrity, unless you do what Dimento does and use a filler tool to build a rock pillar 100m high and build the tower around that.

Dave

Staff member
Interesting. So they basically create their own cover and concealment. Huh. Seems to me, then, that towers might work if they are spaced appropriately. But then they'd just take out the outside towers using the obstruction method...Damn. Underground still seems to be the best option for PvP bases.

The only really effective countermeasure I see is to be there piloting a ship to flank behind their improvised "cover."
...though I think the most delicious countermeasure would be to run out and slap a core and cockpit of your own onto their tanking CV hulk and then fly it out of the way...or else just >DESTROY it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Interesting. So they basically create their own cover and concealment. Huh. Seems to me, then, that towers might work if they are spaced appropriately. But then they'd just take out the outside towers using the obstruction method...Damn. Underground still seems to be the best option for PvP bases.
Yeah. Their PR hype guy (RedAlert_007) is loudly and repeatedly petitioning Eleon to do away with the option to have Anti-grief set how it is by default now, where it prevents all voxel destruction, because it means that cores (and other devices) that are buried under voxel earth are completely 100% unassailable.

GasBandit

Staff member
The only really effective countermeasure I see is to be there piloting a ship to flank behind their improvised "cover."
...though I think the most delicious countermeasure would be to run out and slap a core and cockpit of your own onto their tanking CV hulk and then fly it out of the way...or else just >DESTROY it.

--Patrick
Dimento tunneled under his own base to extend a single line of concrete blocks as far as possible in the directions XPA had shown they liked to attack from, and then when they attacked again, he logged off... trapping them and all their ships inside the OP field. Took me half an hour to extract them.

Dimento tunneled under his own base to extend a single line of concrete blocks as far as possible in the directions XPA had shown they liked to attack from, and then when they attacked again, he logged off... trapping them and all their ships inside the OP field. Took me half an hour to extract them.
This sounds to me like no more of an exploit than, say, pulling your own core.
cores (and other devices) that are buried under voxel earth are completely 100% unassailable.
...but this is not true. My own testing in Survival has repeatedly proven this.
Yes, you have to shoot up the ground to destroy/deform it enough to get to anything buried, but it works just fine.
They're unassailable to drilling/sapping, yes, but not to attack.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
XPA has talked a LOT of shit about Dimento. They think he's a pussy (their words) because every time they get into a tussle he logs out. That seems to be something that they really, REALLY hate.

GasBandit

Staff member
XPA has talked a LOT of shit about Dimento. They think he's a pussy (their words) because every time they get into a tussle he logs out. That seems to be something that they really, REALLY hate.
Yeah, most PvP bullies hate things that are effective against them :p

GasBandit

Staff member
...but this is not true. My own testing in Survival has repeatedly proven this.
Beggin' your pardon, but I dare say if these guys are complaining about it, it's true. If there was a way around it, I don't doubt for a second they'd be using it.

Yeah, most PvP bullies hate things that are effective against them :p
Yes, because people who take advantage of favorable game mechanics to win then get to be cross about other people taking advantage of unfavorable game mechanics to make them lose? Isn't there a word for that?
Beggin' your pardon, but I dare say if these guys are complaining about it, it's true. If there was a way around it, I don't doubt for a second they'd be using it.
Hmm...now that you mention, I don't know enough to sort of "build in" the anti-griefing protection our server enjoys, my Survival game is just me using whatever the default might be, which could mean they have a case. I don't know if adding a ground claim device in my test world would simulate the same thing as what we have, or if that is a different kind of protection.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Hmm...now that you mention, I don't know enough to sort of "build in" the anti-griefing protection our server enjoys, my Survival game is just me using whatever the default might be, which could mean they have a case. I don't know if adding a ground claim device in my test world would simulate the same thing as what we have, or if that is a different kind of protection.

--Patrick
If you're testing it in single player, there is no anti-grief. As it stands right now in Alpha 8 multiplayer, the default (non ground-claim based) anti-grief protection is actually different than the alpha 7 version - alpha 7 you could "dig" with rockets and such to deform protected terrain. That is no longer the case, apparently - all voxels in anti-grief range are now impervious to alteration by any player not the owner of the base. NPCs can still do it, though, I think.

If you're testing it in single player, there is no anti-grief. As it stands right now in Alpha 8 multiplayer, the default (non ground-claim based) anti-grief protection is actually different than the alpha 7 version - alpha 7 you could "dig" with rockets and such to deform protected terrain. That is no longer the case, apparently - all voxels in anti-grief range are now impervious to alteration by any player not the owner of the base. NPCs can still do it, though, I think.
I'm willing to test it if you are. Just need enough ammo to find the radius and a base (not mine) to shoot at that doesn't shoot back.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm willing to test it if you are. Just need enough ammo to find the radius and a base (not mine) to shoot at that doesn't shoot back.

--Patrick
Well, that's easy. There's still an Anti-grief radius in PvE, it's just 30m instead of 300m. Test it out on the GASzebo, if you like.

GasBandit

Staff member
Server updated to build 1793 (8.2.4). Just some AI bug fixes, nothing we've been waiting for :/

Hi everyone,

We just released a small patch for Alpha 8.2. While our team is working hard on the Anniversary Update, we noticed a problem with the pathing of the AI in some use cases and decided to release this fix to the public rather than letting you wait for the next major update.

Stay tuned - the release date of the Anniversary Update will be announced soon!

Changelog: Alpha 8.2.4 (Build 1793)

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed: Zirax NPC not moving in POIs in space and underground
- Fixed: Alien Assassin NPC not moving in bases
- Fixed: Occasional error when starting a new game

Dave

Staff member
I tried to build an underground base using a template. It did not go well. Structural integrity is a bitch.

Yeah, the game's been having problems with bases placed in the ground erupting/exploding out of the ground or just crumbling into nothingness. The Launch Complex on Arengu was the only one I had any luck placing, and the rest I had to build/dig myself.

Dave

Staff member
In creative I spawned a base and was able to place blocks on TOP of it to get the SI green. I tried that in multiplayer and instead of turning green it collapsed half the damned base. Back to the drawing board!

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't had problems with structures that have both above-ground and underground components, I recommend sticking a part on "top" of your underground base that's meant to stick up and jut out of the rock, then after placing, remove that part with a multitool. I think the kicker is, the base has to have some sort of interface with the voxel terminus, maybe?

Dave

Staff member
If you're placing a base from blueprint and most of it is underground, only those parts by the surface have green SI. Everything else is red and you have to dig under the base and place blocks. It's infuriating.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you're placing a base from blueprint and most of it is underground, only those parts by the surface have green SI. Everything else is red and you have to dig under the base and place blocks. It's infuriating.
Hrm, odd... I managed to place the old defensive bases (the ones with the underground stuff on them we used back on renntech, remember) without issue... There's probably some AAF trick to it we just don't know about yet.

Ithink the kicker is, the base has to have some sort of interface with the voxel terminus, maybe?
My assumption is that SI is calculated via some sort of “distance from ground surface mesh” method, which basically means “as above, so below” because the only actual solid part of the ground (so far as the game is concerned, that is) is the “skin” formed by the voxels’ surface, sorta like surface tension.
Or to put it another way, it’s like lag shots, but for ground.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It has been announced that the Anniversary update will hit Aug 27th (with next week being experimental shakedown).

Here's some preview stuff:

Pistons? Timer blocks?

Configurable pallettes?
1534607660525.png

Also some other stuff I guess.

I see what looks like clock signal generators, turrets that "pack up" when not in use, the piston/folding door arrangement (One device? Separate devices?), and maaaaaaybe even that missing corner.

--Patrick

Some items of interest from that list of changes:
- Added Hover Thruster: it is a weak "all-in-one" device (hover engine, thruster, RCS) to make building of a HV in the beginning straightforward)
Could this make the Nimble Miner ... even nimbler? If so, they're definitely going on my Jumping Spider. Not sure about the 1.5m max height though...
- Prevent shooting of turrets when turret is "built-in" (you cannot use hull blocks anymore to built-in turrets anymore)
I'm not sure what this means. Is this about turret hats? Or is it about the fact that a mounted weapon could shoot outwards through an unlimited number of blocks without penalty (presumably due to whitespace issues)? Or is it just about how turret barrels could clip through fences and stuff in front of them?
Looking forward to more granular turret control, though.
- Increased speed of Retrieve-Blocks mode and Salvage mode of HV Multitool turret
Uh-oh. With Gas' additional boost, will this mean super-ultra-turbo "I accidentally salvaged the whoooooole thing" mode?
Hostile water mobs. Hmm. Dunno yet.
- Added BlastDamage and BlastRadius also to weapon info
CAN'T WAIT but we'll see if they're actually accurate before I start celebrating.
- Custom Keybinds: Input config data is now versioned and saved in an XML file in the savegame folder, i.e. no more reset of custom keybinds after an update (however, we need to reset keybindings in A8.5 a last time)
YES thank you I got so tired of resetting my bindings after each update. Or worse, accidentally pressing the old key and doing something I definitely didn't want to do at that time.
- Fixed: MP: Food Processor acts like a fridge even when not powered
Uh-oh...
- Fixed: DSL: Structures/Vessels use many times more fuel than loaded (SP and MP) - final fix
Well I guess that makes up for it?
- Fixed: [Regen] Approaching structures in space in a ship does not trigger regeneration
There's your asteroid fix, Gas. At least, I assume it is.
- Added Epic Heavy Armor
2DHrwWh.png

Hmm no boost slots but :eek::eek::eek:
- New shapes for Heavy Window Blocks
Yay! Finally I have the choice between running along inner and outer and now I have the right corners for both! Also...SLANTS!

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Uh-oh. With Gas' additional boost, will this mean super-ultra-turbo "I accidentally salvaged the whoooooole thing" mode?
Hostile water mobs. Hmm. Dunno yet.
No. The boost isn't multiplicative, it's just an override. My guess is, for their changes to take effect at all, I'll have to comment out/eliminate my changes.

You can rebuild it.
You can make it better than it was.
Better.
Stronger.
Faster.
Harder.
Work it.
OONZ OONZ OONZ OONZ

—Patrick

Last edited: