Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
I wish I had a nickel for every time you've said "disconnect with reality."

I also wish Allen West was running for president. It'd be a hoot.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't help how crazy these people are.

Allen West is Uncle Ruckus in his youth.
Don't worry, for every Allen West, there's a Debbie Wasserman Shultz. At this point we all just gotta sit back and enjoy the floor show on the road to hell, because it's the only destination now. Might as well be an entertaining trip. I would LOVE to see a debate between those two.

Don't worry, for every Allen West, there's a Debbie Wasserman Shultz. At this point we all just gotta sit back and enjoy the floor show on the road to hell, because it's the only destination now. Might as well be an entertaining trip. I would LOVE to see a debate between those two.
Can't stand her either.

GasBandit

Staff member
So now you can gay-marry a building.

Dailywh.at: A woman in Seattle has drawn ire from multiple sides over her “gay marriage” to a century-old warehouse.

Babylonia Aivaz says she wanted to protest the building’s scheduled demolition by “show[ing] the building how much I love it, how much I love community space and how much I love this neighborhood.”

Her decision to refer to the ceremony, which took place yesterday, as a “gay marriage” has angered some local residents.

“Her saying it’s a gay marriage sets the community back with Christians and politicians and gives them a chance to say, ‘See, we told you, they’re going to want to marry everything if we give them the opportunity,’” said Johnny McCollum-Blair who was in attendence yesterday. “Having compassion against something you love, I understand, but to call it a gay union is irresponsible.”

Aivaz insists she is merely trying to draw attention to the neighborhood’s gentrification, but didn’t comment on how she concluded the building was female.

[komo / wcti / towleroad.]

So there's a group camped out in front of the local post office with giant pictures of Obama, only with the Hitler mustache drawn on. One of the pictures had devil horns. The old geezer and his companions were yelling at anyone who walked by and trying to bully people into signing something, all under a sign that said "Dump Obama now!"

There are plenty of rational reasons to dislike Obama, and I think taking any kind of action to participate in the political process is a good thing. However, acting like a psychopath and drawing little mustaches on a politician's picture doesn't seem like an effective method for rallying others to your cause. Or have I missed something?

GasBandit

Staff member
So there's a group camped out in front of the local post office with giant pictures of Obama, only with the Hitler mustache drawn on. One of the pictures had devil horns. The old geezer and his companions were yelling at anyone who walked by and trying to bully people into signing something, all under a sign that said "Dump Obama now!"

There are plenty of rational reasons to dislike Obama, and I think taking any kind of action to participate in the political process is a good thing. However, acting like a psychopath and drawing little mustaches on a politician's picture doesn't seem like an effective method for rallying others to your cause. Or have I missed something?
Depends on the people you are trying to rally, I suppose. However, you know what I say about people who carry signs in public during work hours.

Just... anything to get more money out of politics.
It's interesting to me how that statement could be taken another way as well. In a way, right now "special interests" are getting "more money out of politics" via they get more money back in contracts than they donate, thus they are "getting money out of" or FROM it.

I'd say what most people want is taking the bribery out of politics. That's what I believe most non-trivial donations are after all.

And say what you will about different aspects of the Canadian system, and what's bad about it, but federally at least there's a $1000 per person (actual living person) per year cap on how much you can donate. And that's a good thing. You can support a political party or candidate if you desire, but the amount given isn't significant enough to really be considered a bribe.

I love listening to the Shawn Hanidy show on the radio while driving home from work. His "Stop Obama-Express" routine is just too damn funny. Knowing this guy and Rush are heading the "train" is just enough for me to get a chuckle over how beet red they're going to be and steam shooting out of their ears when Obama gets re-elected. Then again it gives them 4 more years of being relevant to their listeners so yeah can't wait to hear their reactions.

GasBandit

Staff member
I love listening to the Shawn Hanidy show on the radio while driving home from work. His "Stop Obama-Express" routine is just too damn funny. Knowing this guy and Rush are heading the "train" is just enough for me to get a chuckle over how beet red they're going to be and steam shooting out of their ears when Obama gets re-elected. Then again it gives them 4 more years of being relevant to their listeners so yeah can't wait to hear their reactions.
*Hannity.

And it's not like they were in the poorhouse with nothing to do during the bush 2 years.

GasBandit

Staff member
At this point, a republican president being elected would not be hampering right wing talk radio, because there will still be democrats in the legislative and judicial branches corking their gypsies. I mean, heck... Rush and Hannity thrived during a time when republicans held majorities in both houses.

I think it's less about which party is in power, and more about the general increase of acrimony in political thought that has been trending incessantly upwards since the 90s.

Oh no doubt, I'm just so amused at how positive they are that they are going to "remove Obama from office". I just want to hear their lamenting the day after.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh no doubt, I'm just so amused at how positive they are that they are going to "remove Obama from office". I just want to hear their lamenting the day after.
So do you actually listen to Hannity the whole drive home? I can't stand to listen to him for more than a minute or two, myself. I like listening to Neal Boortz on the drive TO work, though. By the time I get off work though, there's nothing on but delay rebroadcasts of (egchk) Laura Ingraham.

Heck, I liked listening to Glenn Beck because he got on TV and then...things got strange enough that the weirdness factor exceeded the entertainment factor. Now I am left alone, swimming in a sea void of any talk radio.

Copyright infringement is not the same as theft. I'm surprised that this wasn't a hard line legally already.
Yes, but it never had a case relating to software to back it up until now. Now lawyers can point to this case to cite precedent, which means the RIAA and MPAA really don't have a leg to stand anymore. They can still go after money, but they can't wave the threat of jail time around anymore.

Someone explain why Hanitty and Rush and all those other idiots are so hung up on Bill Maher's contribution to Obama and trying to compare his to Rush's statements? I mean, not only are you admitting that Rush was a complete idiot and WAS very wrong with his position but the fact that they can't tell a comedy sketch against a political attack? Seriously?

I mean I know they're desperate and grasping at straws but this is literally one of their "strongest" arguments.

GasBandit

Staff member
Someone explain why Hanitty and Rush and all those other idiots are so hung up on Bill Maher's contribution to Obama and trying to compare his to Rush's statements? I mean, not only are you admitting that Rush was a complete idiot and WAS very wrong with his position but the fact that they can't tell a comedy sketch against a political attack? Seriously?

I mean I know they're desperate and grasping at straws but this is literally one of their "strongest" arguments.
I don't see what's complicated to understand. A politician who takes large donations from misogynists is calling misogyny on his opponents.