Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

It's a shame you guys don't have something resembling an even halfway functioning democracy where a centrist candidate would now be nominated that both the extreme left and the extreme right could hate and three quarters of the rest could live with.
Seriously, why is there not a group of 10 moderate old fashioned Republicans threatening the 20 that they'll vote for Jeffries if they continue to play hardball?

It's a shame you guys don't have something resembling an even halfway functioning democracy where a centrist candidate would now be nominated that both the extreme left and the extreme right could hate and three quarters of the rest could live with.
Seriously, why is there not a group of 10 moderate old fashioned Republicans threatening the 20 that they'll vote for Jeffries if they continue to play hardball?
it'd be hilarious if some republicans voted for the Dem choice out of spite, and we ended up with a republican house with a dem speaker. lol

The old fashioned Republicans don’t exsist in Congress anymore. They’re all hard right reactionaries. I don’t believe anybody voting for McCarthy has any actual policy differences with the people refusing to vote for McCarthy.

The old fashioned Republicans don’t exsist in Congress anymore. They’re all hard right reactionaries. I don’t believe anybody voting for McCarthy has any actual policy differences with the people refusing to vote for McCarthy.
I know...Which makes this so ridiculous.

In the interest of not being stuck too much in an echo chamber, I still also follow foxnews.com.
It's....sometimes enlightening.
Right now, their main stories about the House speaker issues are:
a) Democrat Rep.-elect Maxine Waters gets into shouting match with Republicans on House floor
b) Republicans are hard at work as dealmakers to try and get things working again

I mean...Yeah, I guess both are technically true. Anyone hoping this will have any impact on the Chaos Caucus and their voters is completely off base though. it isn't even a big issue there, and if anything it's Republicans being dealmakers and not juststicking with the status quo and trying to improve things.

What saddens me is that apparently there really is no-one left who knows what negotiating and compromise mean.
As far as I can tell this has ended with a 100% "just give them everything they want and more" towards the extreme right. Which only makes them stronger.

He sounds like a person of outstanding quality.

Since the initial reports, Mr Santos has admitted that he embellished his background. He never graduated from any university or worked for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. Rather than owning property across New York, he lives with his sister in Long Island.

"My sins here are embellishing my resume," Mr Santos told the Post. "I'm sorry."

It seems like in some workplaces that would be an issue.

In the latest twist, authorities in Brazil have confirmed that they plan to revive fraud charges against Mr Santos related to a 2008 stolen chequebook. According to court records, Mr Santos spent about $700 using a false name and stolen cheques in the city of Niterói, near Rio de Janeiro. The case had been suspended because Brazilian authorities were unable to locate him.

I don't understand the necessity of saying "under 12 total"...if it's 11, just say 11.

However, yes, context matters, despite rampant false equivalency.

figmentPez

Staff member

And I'm sure that Republicans are spinning this as "The ethics committee was corrupt and just a woke tool" or some bullshit like that. It never cease to infuriate me how much Republican voters believe that their representatives are so perfect that they don't need any sort of accountability.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't understand the necessity of saying "under 12 total"...if it's 11, just say 11.
I think there's some dispute over how many documents were found, and if there will be any more uncovered. If that's due to ambiguity as to what counts as a separate document, or if the number is kept vague as part of security, I don't know.

This whole story is a train wreck, except for the kid who was smart enough to spot that "The Sneeches" is about racism.
Beras tried to tell Beeman that "The Sneetches" is about preferences, open markets and economic loss
Yeah, that's totally normal for 3rd graders. It's usually the first thing on their minds. /s. Wonder why the other, more obvious message of the book would make them uncomfortable? Oh, their town is over 81% white? Mm, hmm. It's a mystery.