Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Dave

Staff member
And now he's locked his Twitter account down so only "approved" people can see it. So he's a bigot AND a coward.

figmentPez

Staff member
"In 1939, 20,000 Americans rallied in New York’s Madison Square Garden to celebrate the rise of Nazism – an event largely forgotten from American history. A NIGHT AT THE GARDEN, made entirely from archival footage filmed that night, transports audiences to this chilling gathering and shines a light on the power of demagoguery and anti-Semitism in the United States."

Go watch. It's about 6 minutes long, and terrifying to think that we're headed in the exact same direction, again.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, how long until we get "Nazis were really important to history. Just look at the amount of medical information we wouldn't have without them. We have to recognize all the good they did."?

So, how long until we get "Nazis were really important to history. Just look at the amount of medical information we wouldn't have without them. We have to recognize all the good they did."?
The medical and scientific fields already discuss this a lot and have sort of made peace with it... with the general concensus being "We wish this hadn't happened and we think anyone who would do this deserves to be punished, but it's better to use the research that is useful than not, if only to ensure some good comes from the lives that were lost."

The real problem with the research of Nazis in regards to medicine isn't the ethics of using it... it's that so much of it was utter garbage, meaning people suffered and died simply to sate the idle curiosity of mad men.

That said... uhh... unethical scientific testing still goes on? Especially in places like South Africa, where the ethics laws are looser.

figmentPez

Staff member
The medical and scientific fields already discuss this a lot and have sort of made peace with it... with the general concensus being "We wish this hadn't happened and we think anyone who would do this deserves to be punished, but it's better to use the research that is useful than not, if only to ensure some good comes from the lives that were lost."

The real problem with the research of Nazis in regards to medicine isn't the ethics of using it... it's that so much of it was utter garbage, meaning people suffered and died simply to sate the idle curiosity of mad men.

That said... uhh... unethical scientific testing still goes on? Especially in places like South Africa, where the ethics laws are looser.
I'm aware of all this. The point I was trying to make was that I think white supremacists are going to push for "the Nazis did a good thing with their, so called, 'unethical' research, and that justifies their methods, sometimes you have to do such things if you want to make the world a better place."

I fully expect Republicans to start pulling out all the "good things" that Nazis did, and probably the Klan, and any other racist groups they can think of. They're going to stop pretending to distance themselves from that past, and instead try to convince the world that they're in the right.

the Nazis did do plenty of good. One good and one bad don't cancel each other out.
There's also plenty of aspects of nazism that have nothing to do with their eugenetics and racial views. And there's also plenty of ways in which the Republican party, and a whole lot of right-wing European parties, are already *worse* than the NSDAP was in, say, 1934. People these days seem to think the nazis won their elections on a program of "we'll gas all the jews and gays and handicapped". While in fact their program was much closer to "We'll limit migration to our country for some specific groups that would be a burden on our social security or we consider perverted, we'll make a list to identify these people, and we'll start great big honking (war) industrial and infrastructure works to increase employment. Also, lots of populist shit promising people things we can't deliver. Oh, and we'll Take from the Rich and Big Companies and give this money to the Hard Working Middle Class Being Unjustly Targeted By Others". Which is a program almost completely copied by the right these days, and in large part by the left, too.

Oh, and we'll Take from the Rich and Big Companies and give this money to the Hard Working Middle Class Being Unjustly Targeted By Others"
To be fair to the Nazis, that was mostly from the actual left-leaning wing of the party, which pretty much got purged during the 1930's...

The actual Nazis as we think of them where always more about "Take from the (((international bankers/capitalists))) and giving it to the deserving aryan-blooded german ubermensch elites who got swindeled out of it by the (((Globalist))) conspiracy!"

figmentPez

Staff member
the Nazis did do plenty of good. One good and one bad don't cancel each other out.
If a pedophile fosters children in order to abuse them, I'm not about to stand around and let people talk about how "good" it was that the pedophile fed and clothed their victims. "They put a roof over poor childrens' heads. You shouldn't remember them for only the bad things they did. They did 'plenty of good'" Fuck that. Nazis, pedophiles, rapists, mass murderers, slave traders, etc. they do not deserve to ever have mention about their "good" deeds, unless it's explicitly pointed out that they did those "good" things in order to perpetuate horrible crimes against humanity.

I don't care what "good" the Nazis did. They did it with bad motives, and they did it in order to commit some of the worst crimes in the history of mankind. I will not stand by and let modern white supremacists try to make Nazis sympathetic. What they did cannot be justified, and any positive effects of their regime should only be remembered in the proper context.

...errr....yeah? That's actually the point I was making?
If a pedophile fosters children in order to abuse them, I'm not about to stand around and let people talk about how "good" it was that the pedophile fed and clothed their victims. "They put a roof over poor childrens' heads. You shouldn't remember them for only the bad things they did. They did 'plenty of good'" Fuck that. Nazis, pedophiles, rapists, mass murderers, slave traders, etc. they do not deserve to ever have mention about their "good" deeds, unless it's explicitly pointed out that they did those "good" things in order to perpetuate horrible crimes against humanity.

I don't care what "good" the Nazis did. They did it with bad motives, and they did it in order to commit some of the worst crimes in the history of mankind. I will not stand by and let modern white supremacists try to make Nazis sympathetic. What they did cannot be justified, and any positive effects of their regime should only be remembered in the proper context.

As the article acknowledges, it's because it's heavily, heavily subsidized.
Um, no. From the article "The levelized cost of electricity, which eliminates the impact of incentives and subsidies on the final prices, places wind below $40/MW-hr in 2018. The cheapest form of natural gas generation was roughly $10 more per MegaWatt-hour."

So if you eliminate subsidies from wind AND natural gas then wind is still cheaper. Granted there's still the problem that you can't make the wind blow harder during peak times when you need more power, but the it's too expensive without subsidies argument should basically be dead at this point.

I really can't wait for that tipping point to come when electricity essentially becomes "free."
...yes, I realize that turbines/panels and such require expenses and ongoing maintenance, I am talking about the point where the energy "payment" required to manufacture a piece of generation infrastructure is lower than what that device will produce over its expected lifetime.
Spoiler alert... we may already be at that point.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Idk he voted against gay marriage. Seems unlikely this is when he does the right thing.
Yes, but he voted against government healthcare on the district level and then upheld the Affordable Care Act in the SC. He randomly goes against himself and against traditionally conservative stances.