Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

We haven't had religion in our house at all, and my daughter has potentially become a little too atheist, to the point where she rolls her eyes anytime someone mentions God. I'm more concerned that she's being rude than anything though, especially considering we live in a conservative county. That said, one of her friends once found out that she doesn't go to church, and tried to get her to come to church with her family. She has no interest what so ever. Yet another reason I'm glad I don't leave near my (not at all but likes to pretend they are religious) family.
That sounds like every teenager, though.

The MindTap thing is universities buckling under a hard sell by publishers trying to corner the market at whole university ("ASU, a Cengage University!") that can be very appealing to the bottom line...for now. It is a deal with the devil that I am thankful my university is unwilling to make.

The quota thing is troubling, if it is true. It might not be a hard edged conspiracy but something that is more like, "Don't go soft on the students. If you have 30% of your students failing, that's okay. We will still support you as a teacher." And that might get twisted into a conspiracy by the disgruntled professor. We are getting a one-sided take, because corruption is a sexy news story but I bet it isn't actually a "fail quota".

The MindTap thing is universities buckling under a hard sell by publishers trying to corner the market at whole university ("ASU, a Cengage University!") that can be very appealing to the bottom line...for now. It is a deal with the devil that I am thankful my university is unwilling to make.
Yeah, this is the irony I was talking about - that a school teaching Economics gets suckered in.

now, if it had been an art school . . .

...was that an unintentional burn at ASU?

The local rag made more hay over the professor making it out that he was required to flunk students.

Dave

Staff member
Starting out your democratic run with a fundraiser hosted by the Comcast CEO and including big business interests and lobbyists. No fucking thank you. Bold move, Cotton.

Yep that's why I shield'd it.
You've already renamed all of our schools and sports stadia in your image(s). You've had enough. We've had enough.

--Patrick

Today is the end of an era at least for Japan. The Heisei era ends today after 30 years with Heisei 31.
Tomorrow is the begin of the Reiwa era with crown prince Akihito who'll ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne as the new emperor of Japan.

Wow. 50+ rounds of (probably) 30 cal plus a few shotgun blasts (all of which look like they came from the same location) plus 6 shots that came from behind the sign. That must've made one helluva racket. Surprised nobody heard anything.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Right, but that's not a road sign. That's a memorial marking the site of a lynching. You DO see how that's different, right?
It certainly makes it in even worse taste, but it does not show intent. As Pez provided examples of, people who shoot signs will shoot any sign with no regard for what's on them, even things that many would consider hallowed, patriotic, poignant, or inspiring.