Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Yet more irritating government fuzzy-wuzzy-feelgood meddling bullshit.

Kari's Law.

It requires all businesses to have phone systems where dialing 911 goes directly to the emergency line (IE, without requiring you to dial 9 for an outside line first, then 911).

So, all businesses with older phone systems that don't have that capability either had to do a hurried upgrade, or apply for a waiver.

We applied for a waiver.

Apparently that waiver requires us to now put HUGE PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS on every handset instructing you to dial 9-9-1-1.

View attachment 22021

You know, the sort of thing an 8-year old in a panic very probably would ignore, and really, makes the handset much less comfortable to hold and use.

The murderer who killed Kari Dunn, incidentally, while praising the law, says it wouldn't have saved her.

Just more unnecessary government intrusion so that someone can feel better that they've "done something" that doesn't actually help.
This actually nailed me at work once, dialled 9 for an outside line, then fat fingered 1 for a long distance call, and instantly had the 911 operator.

But it is a very good idea regardless. A standard should be well standardized across the board, otherwise what's the point? It's been the battle drum for decades now, dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency. Why allow it to be tailored to individual systems?

GasBandit

Staff member
This actually nailed me at work once, dialled 9 for an outside line, then fat fingered 1 for a long distance call, and instantly had the 911 operator.

But it is a very good idea regardless. A standard should be well standardized across the board, otherwise what's the point? It's been the battle drum for decades now, dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency. Why allow it to be tailored to individual systems?
So make it a manufacturing requirement of new systems, so that it gets phased in naturally over time. To require existing systems that can't accomodate the change be replaced would be an unreasonable burden, and the requirements for a waiver are asinine.

Zappit

Staff member
Well, if you read the comments in just about any news article posted now...she's not wrong about Trump supporters. A lot of them are pretty horrible.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...trasting_portraits_of_r.html#incart_big-photo

The trial for those militia nutjobs in Oregon started yesterday. Many of them are pleading guilty. I hope the ones representing themselves get put away for quite a while. Those opiate-addicted, unemployed, shell-shocked idiots thought they could hide behind their pocket-sized Constitutions.

I used to play Airsoft with assholes like them. I just saw Airsoft as a fun outdoor activity, but they saw it as practice for WHEN the government would suddenly turn into the Fourth Reich.

And regarding horrible comments seen on the Interwebs, I've got this video to show.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...trasting_portraits_of_r.html#incart_big-photo

The trial for those militia nutjobs in Oregon started yesterday. Many of them are pleading guilty. I hope the ones representing themselves get put away for quite a while. Those opiate-addicted, unemployed, shell-shocked idiots thought they could hide behind their pocket-sized Constitutions.

I used to play Airsoft with assholes like them. I just saw Airsoft as a fun outdoor activity, but they saw it as practice for WHEN the government would suddenly turn into the Fourth Reich.

And regarding horrible comments seen on the Interwebs, I've got this video to show.

I may just have to break my sacred vow to never, ever, for the love of God, read a youtube comment, because I'm curious about the comments for that video.

GasBandit

Staff member
Surprising nobody, least of all Johnson, the 2 party system has decided Gary Johnson and Jill Stein do not meet the poll threshold to take part in the presidential debate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/johnson-stein-fail-first-presidential-debate-228301

"I would say I am surprised that the CPD has chosen to exclude me from the first debate, but I’m not," the statement read. "The only time a third candidate has been allowed on the stage was 1992, when both parties wanted him on the stage for their own purposes. It should be noted that, when [Ross] Perot was allowed on the stage, polls showed his support to be in single digits, below where Johnson/Weld are currently polling."

Dave

Staff member
In other news, Trump admits that Obama was born in the US. But it's Hillary's fault.

The fact that this is even news is kind of amusing.

"It should be noted that, when [Ross] Perot was allowed on the stage, polls showed his support to be in single digits, below where Johnson/Weld are currently polling."
Considering that Perot polled higher than Clinton for the beginning of the '92 race (he was in the 30s) and polled higher than 15% for most of October, that statement is massively misleading. He only hit single digits at all because he quit the race in August and then announced in October that he changed his mind and wanted back in.

The idea that Johnson has anywhere near the support that Perot did is laughable.

GasBandit

Staff member
To think Johnson or Stein is the possible equivalent is laughable, bordering on idiocy.
They obviously were never going to win, the goal was to crack the armor of the 2 party system and start the ball rolling on getting alternatives heard.

I've always said since the beginning of this, "I'll just be happy if Johnson is included in the debates."

WELP

(Also, as others point out every single time, having them in the race, and in the debates, forces the big candidates to adopt some of the positions to court those that would otherwise be swayed).

I love how people dismiss the third parties as not being viable so they shouldn't bother to run and/or people shouldn't "waste" their vote on them. Because obviously the way to grow support for a third party is to not even try? So what the everloving fuck are third parties supposed to do to become viable? Please explain this to me, oh wise and all-knowing Democrats and Republicans, and use small words because obviously I'm just an idiot Libertarian.

Or are we only allowed to vote White Simms or Blue Simms?

So what the everloving fuck are third parties supposed to do to become viable? Please explain this to me, oh wise and all-knowing Democrats and Republicans, and use small words because obviously I'm just an idiot Libertarian.
I can't speak to the Libertarians, but on the Green side, it would help if they spent a lot less money trying to get Jill Stein and her circle of friends elected and spent a lot more money focusing on multiple low-level positions, and used what positions they did win to try and support local initiatives in line with their politics, and actually crafted policy instead of protesting all the time with a list of demands (they're not actually the same thing).

Like @AshburnerX, I'm politically way more Green than Dem, but the active Greens I've met are either gone from view when there isn't a Presidential election on, or they're purity-testing morons who would argue and fight about labels and burn the whole movement down if they get one penny less than what they ask for.

I can't speak to the Libertarians, but on the Green side, it would help if they spent a lot less money trying to get Jill Stein and her circle of friends elected and spent a lot more money focusing on multiple low-level positions, and used what positions they did win to try and support local initiatives in line with their politics, and actually crafted policy instead of protesting all the time with a list of demands (they're not actually the same thing).

Like @AshburnerX, I'm politically way more Green than Dem, but the active Greens I've met are either gone from view when there isn't a Presidential election on, or they're purity-testing morons who would argue and fight about labels and burn the whole movement down if they get one penny less than what they ask for.
Stein isn't viable because she's a third party candidate, she's not viable because she's a fucking anti-vax loony.
Exactly, on both accounts.

If being a terrible option makes a candidate non-viable, aren't Republicans and Democrats wasting their votes this year, too? ;)

Libertarians are crafting policy and there are usually at least a few Libertarian candidates at the local level on my ballot every election. Yet I still keep getting told my vote is "wasted" for supporting Libertarian candidates. So again, what are third parties supposed to be doing to become viable? Because crafting policy and having local candidates is apparently still not good enough for my vote to be considered non-wasted.

gary johnson and every libertarian should be jerking each other off with a smile over missing the debates, the criteria was set up by a fully private organization based on private polls, and all funded by rich people and corporations :D if the free market wanted Johnson to debate, it would have gotten him up there!

3rd parties in national elections are a distraction if they can't field a credible candidate, they can do good work and help people and change the world etc by getting on city councils, state houses, mayors, commissioners, etc.

If being a terrible option makes a candidate non-viable, aren't Republicans and Democrats wasting their votes this year, too? ;)

Libertarians are crafting policy and there are usually at least a few Libertarian candidates at the local level on my ballot every election. Yet I still keep getting told my vote is "wasted" for supporting Libertarian candidates. So again, what are third parties supposed to be doing to become viable? Because crafting policy and having local candidates is apparently still not good enough for my vote to be considered non-wasted.
Run for one of the other two? It's working for Trump.

They did stop the time warmer-Comcast merger.

Although as someone with a decent amount invested in Monsanto, I guess I should see if there's a good chance it will go through. Could be a time to get out high.

Dave

Staff member
After a shootout with police, Ahmad Khan Rahami has been taken into custody as suspect behind the NY/NJ bombings.

"Authorities said the blasts were looking increasingly like an act of terrorism with a foreign connection."
If this is true it was someone with a lot of money teaching a moron how to set off a bomb. They found him initially in the vestibule of a bar within walking distance of his house (or apartment?). So he's not exactly a criminal mastermind. So some foreign terrorist organization finds an absolute idiot and says, "Do this. It'll be fine."

They did stop the time warmer-Comcast merger.

Although as someone with a decent amount invested in Monsanto, I guess I should see if there's a good chance it will go through. Could be a time to get out high.
The price went up a mere 1% after the news. The investors are all expecting the anti-trust cockblock, but are too invested to drop the stock.