Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Honestly the whole thing is just sad. Its the equivalent of the dorky kids making up some code word to call another kid names and thinking they are clever as fuck because of it.

I can respect someone that just says Fuck Joe Biden. Hell, I voted for him and I will say it, fuck Joe Biden. I don't need to pussy foot around like a middle schooler.
My response to this topic on Facebook when it came up:

Eh, the right can have their dumb memes too, I say. I've seen dumber memes than that, honestly.

This is why they like it: It's an inside joke, in a way. Memes are a way of identifying oneself culturally by being in on it. Let's go Brandon was a moment of either absurdly dumb mishearing of a chant or an absurdly dumb intentional reframing of a chant. Either way, it signifies insider-ness, pokes fun of the president, and lightly skewers the "mainstream media" all at once. That is appealing to a certain group of people.

Us not getting the "joke", such as it is, might be part of the problem with our cultural division. We spend so much time speaking to our echo chambers, riffing on the latest nonsense over and over until we don't hear anything else. Social media doesn't allow for much of anything else, if that is our method of discourse.

Everyone gets it. It's just dumb as hell, I'd be able to laugh along if the right wasn't acting like they're getting something past their mom

I would sincerely laugh, chant and clap along if it was fuck joe biden. I hear these guys say the n word all the time so maybe this is a little too silly for me, I guess

The various name calling is dumb as hell, but easy to ignore. What I can't stand is it's not about policies at all anymore. I'm just so tired of the focus on stupid shit and made up grievances not based in fact.

This is how you keep the poor fighting with each other while the rich walk away with everything.

I think the reason it doesn't make sense to me is, if you wanna say fuck Joe Biden, just say it. I'll say it, fuck Joe Biden. Fuck him right in his old man face. See? It's not hard

I don't know, it makes sense to me. If I recall the situation correctly, a crowd, or some people in one at a NASCAR rally were saying "Fuck Joe Biden" and the announcer said, something along the lines of "The crowd is shouting, "Let's go Brandon" To me it appears more of a dig in this sense:

1637070002458.jpeg

At least, that's how I always thought of it.

Are we really going to pretend that "Let's go Brandon" is less inane than "Drumpf" or any of the other nonsense names people made up to make fun of Trump? People on the left were every bit as ridiculous in signaling their dislike as this is.
I get what you saying man, but what's kind of funny about your hot take is Drumpf isn't a nonsense name, it's literally his original family name before one of his ancestors changed it to Trump to anglicize it away from it's German roots. Better examples would be things like "Cheeto" or "Agent Orange".

Again, my issue with it isn't the fact they are calling him a name. I don't care when they constantly call him Sleepy Joe or any of that shit. My issue is the smug trying to hide behind some random in-joke phrase as a "secret" fuck you, it would be like us finding some event where Pat Sajak mistook "Fuck Donald Trump" for "Ducks Don't Truck" and for the next couple years we just started shouting "Ducks Don't Truck" over and over again while we snicker under our breath. I think the closest we ever got to a similar insult was "Covfefe" or "Person Man Camera TV" but at least Trump himself said those things, not a reporter trying to interview some dude at NASCAR.

Reactions: Cat
I dont think there's anything inherently different from Lets go Brandon to Drumpf and Cheeto and so on and so forth. Everyone uttering those phrases is probably unbearably smug and think they're top of the witty intellect pile while doing so. It's common tribal virtue signaling and it was stupid 20 years ago with every "hur dur Bush dumb" joke and it's stupid now, but I mean, whatever gets peoples rocks off I guess. In another couple years we'll all be memeing the next political figurehead, ad nauseam.

Are we really going to pretend that "Let's go Brandon" is less inane than "Drumpf" or any of the other nonsense names people made up to make fun of Trump? People on the left were every bit as ridiculous in signalling their dislike as this is.
Nobody is saying this

I don't know, it makes sense to me. If I recall the situation correctly, a crowd, or some people in one at a NASCAR rally were saying "Fuck Joe Biden" and the announcer said, something along the lines of "The crowd is shouting, "Let's go Brandon" To me it appears more of a dig in this sense:

View attachment 39452

At least, that's how I always thought of it.
That's the thing, one nobody lied about some chanting and now it's this big fucking deal for the right

Yeah, I think the Let's Go Brandon thing is dumb as bricks and all, but some of the left-wing memes and names were just as ridiculous.
I mean, I'll happily go along with some as logn as they're not overly hostile, be it Cheeto or Orange or whatever.
I'm actually surprised - and would be more worried and oppose this - if it was aonly-slightly-changed line of "shoot Joe Biden" or "kill the traitors in the White House" rather than just plain old "fuck him".

just plain old "fuck him".
I don't for one moment see this as anything other than a rallying cry to psych themselves up for whenever it is they decide to do their main push, whether that be at the ballot box or on the anniversary of Jan 6th or "True Patriot Day" or whatever they decide to brand it.

The words themselves are unimportant (if eye-rollingly banal), it’s the intent that concerns me.

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I think the reason it doesn't make sense to me is, if you wanna say fuck Joe Biden, just say it. I'll say it, fuck Joe Biden. Fuck him right in his old man face. See? It's not hard
You can't say "fuck" in church!

And that's what bothers me about this one. They're chanting the sanitized, code word version in a church, while getting the endorsement of church officials. It's one thing to call your political opponent names, and admit that you're mocking them. It's something else to chant an epithet at your opponent, while denying that you're being vulgar.

Yes, both sides have hypocrites, but that does not change that this group is displaying the behavior of a cult with this hypocritical chant.

figmentPez

Staff member
That’s a biiiig no-no, and could potentially have some consequences.
"consequences"

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Well, not you in particular, but a lot of people, especially in the media, keep saying that Republicans are going to face consequences, but we haven't really seen much of that. Kyle Rittenhouse certainly doesn't seem to be facing any consequences. There have yet to be consequences for any of the political leaders of the Jan 6th insurrection. We've seen some scapegoats get mild punishments, but nothing like actual justice.

The guy is saying it was a planned bit, but I really don't believe it.
Honestly until he said "It's a show called You," I was a bit confused too. Like I figured there was something going on but I had only heard of that show and it was somewhere in the back of my mind. I think I would have reacted like Laura for the first time or two. I think by time three I would have been like "BE MORE SPECIFIC"

That’s a biiiig no-no, and could potentially have some consequences.

—Patrick
Out of curiosity, when was the last time the IRS actually enforced the Johnson Amendment? And I don't mean enforced as in told Churches not to break it, I mean actually took them to Court if they broke it? Maybe my Google-fu is weak but I can't find a recent case of that. Hard to say they could face consequences for breaking the law if longstanding precedent is that there are no consequences for breaking that specific law.

GasBandit

Staff member
Exactly. The powerful will never take an action, even against their political opponents, which can then be used as precedent for holding themselves accountable for their own actions.

This judge is so horrifically corrupt, it's gone beyond parody. Like, if this happened in a movie, no one would believe it. This is making My Cousin Vinny seem like a documentary.