Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

We have a moron out here who keeps sending letters to the editor of the paper (which they then publish) calling for a wall around one of the small towns to keep "those dirty immigrants and criminals out." I've been sorely, sorely tempted for the last few days to send a rebuttal telling them they can build their wall and keep their old, white, incest committing, pedophile pizza store owner and the 20-somethings who vandalized the one decent Mexican restaurant in the area so often that the guy just taped the windows over and put a sign up saying "stop shooting my windows and I'll replace them."

Yes that’s because the rich folk EARNED their money. Those Social Security leeches are having more babies living more years just so they can suck off the public teat!

—Patrick

We have a moron out here who keeps sending letters to the editor of the paper (which they then publish) calling for a wall around one of the small towns to keep "those dirty immigrants and criminals out." I've been sorely, sorely tempted for the last few days to send a rebuttal telling them they can build their wall and keep their old, white, incest committing, pedophile pizza store owner and the 20-somethings who vandalized the one decent Mexican restaurant in the area so often that the guy just taped the windows over and put a sign up saying "stop shooting my windows and I'll replace them."
DOOOO IIIIITTTTTT.

Massive deficit is because of Social Security and TOTALLY NOT massive, massive tax cuts to rich folk.
I can't find it through searching right now, but I thought there was something from '09 or '10 (or something) that stated that if the USA's tax rate on everything over $100,000 was 100% (and everything else the same), they still would have a deficit.

If true, they have a SPENDING problem more than an INCOME problem.

I can't find it through searching right now, but I thought there was something from '09 or '10 (or something) that stated that if the USA's tax rate on everything over $100,000 was 100% (and everything else the same), they still would have a deficit.

We might still have a debt. But we could balance without a deficit (growing the debt further). Bill Clinton's budget was balanced.
https://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-budget-and-deficit-under-clinton/

The Clinton years showed the effects of a large tax increase that Clinton pushed through in his first year, and that Republicans incorrectly claim is the "largest tax increase in history." It fell almost exclusively on upper-income taxpayers. Clinton’s fiscal 1994 budget also contained some spending restraints. An equally if not more powerful influence was the booming economy and huge gains in the stock markets, the so-called dot-com bubble, which brought in hundreds of millions in unanticipated tax revenue from taxes on capital gains and rising salaries.

Clinton’s large budget surpluses also owe much to the Social Security tax on payrolls. Social Security taxes now bring in more than the cost of current benefits, and the "Social Security surplus" makes the total deficit or surplus figures look better than they would if Social Security wasn’t counted. But even if we remove Social Security from the equation, there was a surplus of $1.9 billion in fiscal 1999 and $86.4 billion in fiscal 2000. So any way you count it, the federal budget was balanced and the deficit was erased, if only for a while.

GasBandit

Staff member
We might still have a debt. But we could balance without a deficit (growing the debt further). Bill Clinton's budget was balanced.
Thing is, in 2000 (clinton's last budgeted year) we had federal outlays of about 1.7 trillion. Now we have approximately 3.2 trillion. If people want to tout Clinton-level taxation as a model, maybe we should also push for clinton-level spending.

Of course, another problem with that is that a lot of it came from gutting the military.

Dave

Staff member
Speaking as someone who has always advocated for the military...we could afford to gut the military a little, as long as we did it intelligently. There's a lot of obsolete equipment we could get rid of and a lot of fat that could certainly be trimmed without harming readiness or effectiveness.

Thing is, in 2000 (clinton's last budgeted year) we had federal outlays of about 1.7 trillion. Now we have approximately 3.2 trillion. If people want to tout Clinton-level taxation as a model, maybe we should also push for clinton-level spending.

Of course, another problem with that is that a lot of it came from gutting the military.
To be clear, I'm not "touting" his level of taxation. I'm just using that administration to show that balancing the budget is possible, esp int he time frame that Eriol was mentioning as his possible source of "you can't balance the budget, even with 100% taxation" comment.

But in general, I agree: We don't tax the right people enough, and we spend too much on stuff. Reining both of those in would go a long way to fixing the deficit.

I remember debating some fed-working friends during the spending cap years, and they were *outraged* when I suggested that their government jobs shouldn't be guaranteed for life. It was such a weird mindset to me (having been in the private sector most of my life). They legitimately felt that the government owed them an income.

Don't forget inflation though. 1.7 trillion 2000-dollars is 2.48 trillion 2018-dollars, roughly. Still a serious increase, but not as drastic as you make it seem. Still more than enough, mind.

GasBandit

Staff member
Don't forget inflation though. 1.7 trillion 2000-dollars is 2.48 trillion 2018-dollars, roughly. Still a serious increase, but not as drastic as you make it seem. Still more than enough, mind.
Inflation affects both the budget and the taxation though, so I kind of considered it a wash.

Don't forget that there are those people who think we have to run a deficit, like doing so give us some kind of incentive or something.
Of course, most of the time the incentive they end up touting is that we have to cut these pork-filled entitlement programs, but hey.

--Patrick

Speaking as someone who has always advocated for the military...we could afford to gut the military a little, as long as we did it intelligently. There's a lot of obsolete equipment we could get rid of and a lot of fat that could certainly be trimmed without harming readiness or effectiveness.
We literally let millions of dollars worth of next gen fighters get destroyed in a Hurricane because it was "too difficult to move them in time". Mind you, they were absolutely worthless next gen fighters but...

I get what you're saying, but "killing them better" always is kinda what you want to happen in a war, once the shooting starts.
No amount of technology could have changed this outcome, short of ability to read god damn minds. That's the problem of fighting insurgent forces... and frankly, if the government had the ability to read minds, it would have been using it on us first.

GasBandit

Staff member
No amount of technology could have changed this outcome, short of ability to read god damn minds. That's the problem of fighting insurgent forces... and frankly, if the government had the ability to read minds, it would have been using it on us first.
Technology, no. Manpower and materiel, maybe.

OP:

Response:
Comment on comment:
To be clear, I'm not "touting" his level of taxation. I'm just using that administration to show that balancing the budget is possible, esp int he time frame that Eriol was mentioning as his possible source of "you can't balance the budget, even with 100% taxation" comment.
Where did I say that I was talking about 1992-2000? I thought that it had been mentioned regarding 2009-2010, which is 10 years later (at least).

Like I said, this is an old memory, but at least somebody was claiming even 100% taxation above $100k would still result in deficit, and I thought it was the early Obama years.

Technology, no. Manpower and materiel, maybe.
Only if you intended for them to never leave. The populations of Iraq and Afghanistan are still completely unwilling to police themselves except along brutal, theological lines. That's not something we can change without a decades long occupation. It's not worth it and we got what we "wanted" (Saddam and Osama, dead, and their organizations in ruins). Leave them to their self-inflicted, ideologically driven misery. We have other battles to fight.

Really, if we've learned anything since Gulf War 2, it's that the real threat to America is our inability (or potential complicity) to prevent foreign powers from attacking us in the digital domain.

Dave

Staff member
And the fact that we're too stupid as a whole to see obvious ploys of terrorist organizations so we do their work for them in the name of safety.

And the fact that we're too stupid as a whole to see obvious ploys of terrorist organizations so we do their work for them in the name of safety.
I tend to see this more as people taking advantage of an opportunity.
"You know what would be the antidote to Terrorism? Oligarchy."

--Patrick

Clinton's gutting of the military is a lot of why gulf war 2 was such a clusterfuck when gulf war 1 was such a milk run.
What are you on about? Taking out Iraq's military was as easy both times.

The actual difference was the whole "staying and occupying the place". Which 1994's Dick Cheney said would end up as a quagmire:

figmentPez

Staff member
So, the party that defends white supremacists as "good people" are the ones who are now claiming they're afraid of angry mobs. The party that actively supports the picketing and harassment of Planned Parenthood are now the ones claiming that angry protestors are an imminent threat to democracy.

The levels of hypocrisy are off the charts.

So, the party that defends white supremacists as "good people" are the ones who are now claiming they're afraid of angry mobs. The party that actively supports the picketing and harassment of Planned Parenthood are now the ones claiming that angry protestors are an imminent threat to democracy.

The levels of hypocrisy are off the charts.
As I've told several family members, what they really want is the ability to act like shit, feel like they are right to do so, and be free of the repercussions of their actions. As long as we hold them accountable for their shitty behavior, they have won nothing and only managed to fuck themselves, something more and more of them are coming to terms with.

I could have told her it was stupid move. She's not a member of a tribe, has never presented herself as an indigenous person in any serious capacity, nor has she ever faced hardship for being one. Any blood relation is irrelevant; modern DNA tests can't even tell if her ancestors came from North or South America, let alone which society.

I could have told her it was stupid move. She's not a member of a tribe, has never presented herself as an indigenous person in any serious capacity, nor has she ever faced hardship for being one. Any blood relation is irrelevant; modern DNA tests can't even tell if her ancestors came from North or South America, let alone which society.
Her claim is too nuanced to survive the public forum. It was always going to dog her if she made a run for higher office.

Yet those Native organisations are attacking her are being stupid. They're essentially condoning Trump's use of "Pocahontas" as a slur. And he's the real racist asshole here, not Warren.
And to not attack her would be to condone her co-opting of their culture and heritage for political game. Again, Warren is not a member of a tribe, has never presented herself as an indigenous person in an serious capacity, and has not lived the life of one. This is the equivalent of claiming such status on a college admission paper; she's only doing it to score points but has done nothing to earn those points.

Seriously, it's kind of fucked up to attack the organizers here. They shouldn't have to roll over and take this just because it's politically expedient; their support should not be taken for granted just because we have lunatic in the White House. Warren should have fucking known better, period.