Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I just e-mailed my senator. I begged him not to vote for Kavanaugh. Whether the (fill-in-the-blank) listens is beyond me.

I will remember when it comes to voting time.

The only solace in any of this is that, as a cis white male that is self-employed, it's not likely Brett being on the supreme court is going to come back to hurt me personally. It likely will change nothing for me. I know a lot of people that he may badly hurt though, if he works to overturn some of the more progressive rulings over the last few decades, and it makes me hope in my heart he isn't the asshole it looks like he is.

For the first time ever I may just vote a straight democratic ticket during the midterms. I am so sick of this.

DOUBLE FUCK YOU MOJO.

He's probably going to win by double digits in November, anyway. But not with any help from me. At least Jim Justice had the courage to switch parties. Not that it makes *him* any less of a piece of shit.

figmentPez

Staff member
Look, I know they are people, but what they have done here leaves me thinking there isn't anyone left with ethics on the Republican side of the aisle. Looks like any conscience the GOP had died with McCain.
You're a little late to the party, but come on in, there's room for everyone!

You're a little late to the party, but come on in, there's room for everyone!
What can I say, I'm a liberal at heart who thinks the Republic is better off with opposing views that don't agree with me (it keeps me in check). This is more than that, this is deplorable and sad, and the people who are supporting this don't understand how they are killing this nation. I promise, they really don't get it. But they will someday.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sen. Grassley on why there are so few women, and no Republican women, on the Judiciary Committee, "Well, it's a lot of work. Don't forget compared to a lot of committee meetings we have an executive every Thursday. ... So it's a lot of work. Maybe they don't want to do it."

I'm not sure if I'm more offended by the sexism, or by the incompetence he shows by not being able to come up with a better answer. Holy shit. What an ass.

What did you expect him to say? "We actively try to keep them out, because keeping justice in the hands of the Old Boys Club is just too darn handy"?

What did you expect him to say? "We actively try to keep them out, because keeping justice in the hands of the Old Boys Club is just too darn handy"?
Actually that's an interesting point. What is supposed to be the correct answer, if one was looking for one? For example, what should the Dean of my dental school say if I asked why, out of 104 students, there were only 2 African-Americans in my class?

Actually that's an interesting point. What is supposed to be the correct answer, if one was looking for one? For example, what should the Dean of my dental school say if I asked why, out of 104 students, there were only 2 African-Americans in my class?
IT's fucking easy. You say "We don't have many African Americans who apply to our school, an issue we are attempting to work on." It's bullshit, but it's not an insensitive and stupid answer.

figmentPez

Staff member
I want him to resign in disgrace, but what I expect from all leaders is to be smart enough to not say blatantly sexist things, when they've just spent the week trying to pretend that they're not sexist.

"It is unfortunate that women are under-represented in the Senate as a whole, and there is no quick nor easy way to ensure that women are evenly represented in elected positions. Senators are limited in how many committees they can serve on, so it's impossible to ensure that every committee is evenly staffed by all possible demographics. In the end we are all elected to represent the people of the United States, and I have every confidence that the fine people of this Senate will do their best to faithfully serve their constituents and the people of this great nation as a whole."

It's not like questions of sexism, racism, unfair representation, regional bias, party bias, etc. are rare. If you're not prepared to give a bullshit answer to common questions, you should just give up lying so blatantly to the public.

It's not like questions of sexism, racism, unfair representation, regional bias, party bias, etc. are rare. If you're not prepared to give a bullshit answer to common questions, you should just give up lying so blatantly to the public.
Translation: “They’re not even trying any more.”

—Patrick

Congratulations Republicans, you've officially managed to seat a serial rapist on the Supreme Court of the United States. You may all now go die in a fire.

After "president of the United States", they've now managed to bring down the last job title you could more or less respect down, too.
Completely separate from his political opinions and whether or not he's guilty of multiple counts of sexual abuse, the guy is unfit for the job because of his temperament and attitude. But, so is Trump.

This will inspire someone to somehow change the SC nomination process, giving more power to one of the other branches, which will be "good"in the short term and disastrous in the long term.
All three branches of the government firmly in the pocket of a minority who is willing to burn the values and qualities of the country down to maintain their personal power and uphold or repeal legislation to further oppression and privilege. This will be disastrous, with literal worldwide consequences. It may lead to a theocracy in the USA - something sometimes used as an apocalyptic end in science fiction. Or it may lead to a second civil war. Or the end of freedom as we know it.
In any event, this is a truly, truly dark day in history.

figmentPez

Staff member
And now Republicans are likening the #MeToo movement to McCarthyism.

This is too much stupid for me to put into words.

EDIT: I will grant them one point. The high officials in the Republican party who have been accused of sexual misconduct are also likely to be colluding with Russia. That is a very astonishing connection, but other than that, the whole comparison is pretty damn ridiculous.

Last edited:
And now Republicans are likening the #MeToo movement to McCarthyism.

This is too much stupid for me to put into words.

EDIT: I will grant them one point. The high officials in the Republican party who have been accused of sexual misconduct are also likely to be colluding with Russia. That is a very astonishing connection, but other than that, the whole comparison is pretty damn ridiculous.
Anything for power. Nothing for honor.

What can I say, I'm a liberal at heart who thinks the Republic is better off with opposing views that don't agree with me (it keeps me in check). This is more than that, this is deplorable and sad, and the people who are supporting this don't understand how they are killing this nation. I promise, they really don't get it. But they will someday.
What are people supposed to do though? Both Republicans and Democrats have spent nearly a century destroying the viability of a third party in both the public mindset and the campaign process.

I bet that Russian bots telling people to stay home on Election Day worked so well because of years of being told that you only have 2 options.

I want to scream and throw things today. I know that won't help, but right now, I feel like it's the only part of my life I have control of anymore.

Mr. Z's company does have a location in Manitoba, but I think that might be more than I'm ready for.

Try to sneak me over the wall later. ;)

I was going to say "come join us out west," west have plenty of beer, great weed, and lots of democrats - neither of my senators even considered voting for Kavanaugh, and they sent me emails to tell me that. Plus, we're technically already in a secessionary area - the Great State of Jefferson.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've heard people saying that this debacle may lead to politicians making it easier to get a new justice on the Supreme Court. This whole process has made me think that we need to require 2/3rds majority. Get someone who most people approve of, or they shouldn't be on the highest court. (Yes, I know that's unrealistic, since we're a two party system that revolves around the two groups taking polar opposite stances on major issues.)

What are people supposed to do though? Both Republicans and Democrats have spent nearly a century destroying the viability of a third party in both the public mindset and the campaign process.

I bet that Russian bots telling people to stay home on Election Day worked so well because of years of being told that you only have 2 options.
Be fucking adults. I know, too much to expect from elected officials supposedly representing us.

I mean...reading that he basically says "I want trump to make things better for America because I want America to be better." I agree with that, and I don't think you guys would call me a trump supporter.

Eh, it's a tried and true method, but it backfires more often than it works. Those who like Trump might as well vote for the real deal. Those who strongly oppose Trump will drop him. I doubt there are a lot of undecideds left who would be swayed by this, honestly.

I doubt there are a lot of undecideds left who would be swayed by this, honestly.
I don’t think he’s pandering to the undecideds, I think he likely believes there are so many Trumpkins that if he doesn’t pander to them, he will lose his seat.

—Patrick