Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Fox News under new management, Rupert Murdoch names Bill Shine and Jack Abernethy acting co-presidents of the network with hints of changes to come.

It's probably because Ailes got fingered by Gretchen Carlson and other women on the network for harassment, with the rumored settlement being in the 8-figure range. Mark Kranz is also retiring... I'm betting he got a golden parachute for his silence regarding the settlements he's been paying out to female employees. We probably won't see a huge shift in tone on the network.

Holy fucking shit, the guy is borderline mentally disabled. That's dreadful.
It's just another day in Texas.

I'm sorry, I have no comment about what's going on in my old neck of the woods, mostly because all I'm dreading is the aftermath I'll have to deal with.

I'm sorry, I have no comment about what's going on in my old neck of the woods, mostly because all I'm dreading is the aftermath I'll have to deal with.
My only comment remains "Black Lives Matter" and "I support the bravery and every effort of the protesters in dealing with a situation/status quo that I cannot even imagine."

My only comment remains "Black Lives Matter" and "I support the bravery and every effort of the protesters in dealing with a situation/status quo that I cannot even imagine."
Considering there's a video showing that the suspect was holding a gun and not following lawful commands, are you seriously going to say this is a case of police misconduct?!

Considering there's a video showing that the suspect was holding a gun and not following lawful commands, are you seriously going to say this is a case of police misconduct?!
Damn it Tress, you know he's just being a edge-master. Chuckles doesn't have any real opinions - those require critical and abstract thinking skills to develop. I bet someone could program a bot as a facsimile of him and people wouldn't be able to differentiate them.

Damn it Tress, you know he's just being a edge-master. Chuckles doesn't have any real opinions - those require critical and abstract thinking skills to develop. I bet someone could program a bot as a facsimile of him and people wouldn't be able to differentiate them.
Assuming this wasn't the case all along. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GasBandit

Staff member
Milwaukee is burning.

After the death a black man (with a "lengthy arrest record," who was carrying a stolen gun, loaded, and aimed it at the black policeman who shot him), angry protesters have taken to the streets, set fires, burned down businesses, shot at the firefighters who came to put out the blazes, and attacked any white person they happened to see.

BLM has lost any measure of respect or consideration from me. Another ridiculous movement that believes lofty goals or ideals camouflage terrible actions carried out in the name of them.

BLM has lost any measure of respect or consideration from me. Another ridiculous movement that believes lofty goals or ideals camouflage terrible actions carried out in the name of them.
Do you respect any other leaderless/mob movements, present or historical?

Can BLM, in your view, remain de-centralized (i.e. a mob movement) and still advance its goals?

Were it to become a political entity, or adopt clear leadership as a movement, would you then respect it if it denounced what is happening?

Do you respect any other leaderless/mob movements, present or historical?

Can BLM, in your view, remain de-centralized (i.e. a mob movement) and still advance its goals?

Were it to become a political entity, or adopt clear leadership as a movement, would you then respect it if it denounced what is happening?
1. I may respect their actions and achievements, but mobs tend to produce mixed results.

2. Any movement can advance goals despite lack of leadership, however, having a clear and measured approach towards specified goals is always optimal.

3. I would, my respect would increase further if they took steps to regulate radical behavior, and failing that, distance themselves from it. A group is not obligated to do these things, but inaction will only prompt dismissal from me. They aren't obligated to give a damn, and neither am I.

You literally don't understand the first thing about protest movements, especially those based in the United States. Also, BLM doesn't need your oh so valuable respect to continue to make a positive impact.

FTA: "and the early 1960s are particularly instructive because of how consistently non-violent the movement was in the face of violent, sometimes deadly opposition."

SO MUCH FOR THAT
So one riot completely invalidates the, for example, the Austin rally where cops and BLM protesters were very civil until one asshole ruined it. Shit happened in the CRM too.

The summer of 1964 also saw the first wave urban riots, a year before Watts, and pollsters began to ask about them as well. I end my survey here precisely because I want to limit it to the period that is most unambiguously praised today. Yet, in every single poll that was conducted in this period of time, an overwhelming majority of adults were opposed to precisely those actions that changed America, riding it of a past that we’re now ashamed to even admit ever existed. Overall, people welcomed those changes. But overwhelmingly, they opposed the very actions needed to bring them about.

GasBandit

Staff member
So one riot completely invalidates the, for example, the Austin rally where cops and BLM protesters were very civil until one asshole ruined it. Shit happened in the CRM too.
Well, and there was that teensy matter in Dallas with the dead cops, and, you know, days of burning urban destruction in Ferguson Missouri, or the same in Baltimore... etc, etc, etc.

But yeah, go ahead and compare "largely peaceful protests in the face of violent opposition" to repeated widespread violent riots lasting for days and the specific targeting of police for murder every time a criminal dies.

Well, and there was that teensy matter in Dallas with the dead cops, and, you know, days of burning urban destruction in Ferguson Missouri, or the same in Baltimore... etc, etc, etc.

But yeah, go ahead and compare "largely peaceful protests in the face of violent opposition" to repeated widespread violent riots lasting for days and the specific targeting of police for murder every time a criminal dies.
It is just criminals dying, that's for sure. Ignore the part where there were WIDESPREAD urban riots during the CRM too.[DOUBLEPOST=1471370026,1471369850][/DOUBLEPOST]You know, the only reason I don't think BLM has the same chance of changing anything like the CRM did is BLM doesn't have a charismatic leader like MLK that can be martyred.