Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I feel like this graph is a little misleading. I'm assuming it's trying to show that the makeup of veterans in congress has been shrinking, but I think it's much more likely that WW2 and the following draft wars just created a major spike in overall veterans, and the decrease is just that spike bottoming out.
I'd say it's pointing out the rise in career politicians.

I'd say it's pointing out the rise in career politicians.
A gradual shift from people who were brought up to serve our country being replaced by people who entered into the field primarily as a way to support themselves and their families.

--Patrick

His MO was to threaten lawsuits, and then when pushed to the brink cajole and harass and outright bully until the other side caved or settled for better terms.

If he does this against the NBA, he will discover that he's going up against 30 sets of lawyers (including the NBPA).

GasBandit

Staff member
Jesus fucking Christ, sort your God damn drug laws out. This kid is facing life in prison because they weighed the brownies he made for the weight of his possession charges because of some loophole involving using hash oil in the baking.

http://news.yahoo.com/life-in-prison-pot-hash-brownies-texas-150807587.html

This is fucking insane. Everybody involved in this has to see that.
Yes. This is a travesty and further evidence that the "war on drugs" is a huge mistake and needs to be shut down last week.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had no idea the US disenfranchised prisoners... Let alone those who are on release. That seems wrong to me. I guess I'll have to give it some thought, but I think even criminals should have the right to vote. Hm.
Next you'll be saying crazy things like Canada actually makes you show ID to vote.

I think the idea is that felons would inevitably vote for those who would make it easier for them to go unpunished or be permissible with their crimes, so to allow them to continue their enfranchisement would be to undermine the republic. Considering we currently have MILLIONS of felons in our country, this isn't entirely unfounded... but at the same time, it also prevents systemic review of the justice system by preventing those who undergo it's abuses to have any control over how it s run. This has let our justice system be turned into a self-serving engine to funnel prisoners into for-profit prisons, which often have little oversight in how they are run.

Basically, it's a sticky issue. If we allowed them to vote, it's a sure bet that any organized crime factions would vote in lockstep to undermine our ability to fight them. If don't, then we lose the insight of those closest to how the system runs. Organized crime has historically been a HUGE problem in the US, so we choose to fight it instead.

Next you'll be saying crazy things like Canada actually makes you show ID to vote.
Actually this is a hot topic in Canada right now. You have to show ID, but you can be 'vouched' for by someone with valid ID if need be. However, there's currently a bill which could, among other changes, remove the vouching ability and ID would be mandatory

Actually this is a hot topic in Canada right now. You have to show ID, but you can be 'vouched' for by someone with valid ID if need be. However, there's currently a bill which could, among other changes, remove the vouching ability and ID would be mandatory
I've been having to use ID abroad for everything for years now that's its hard for me to imagine why producing an ID for something as important as a vote is a rage-inducing proposition.

I've been having to use ID abroad for everything for years now that's its hard for me to imagine why producing an ID for something as important as a vote is a rage-inducing proposition.
I know I've touched in this before, but so long as the ID's are provided free of charge (not just charge for the ID, but also for travel to the location and time waiting which DMV's are only open during normal business hours) I'm fine with them. This is an important sticking point for me and must be required in order to prevent disenfranchising voters.

Also, to get the ID there must be ways to get it which don't involve a birth certificate. We have too many elderly whose certificates just don't exist anymore, either through fire or getting lost through being misplaced.

If you ask me, the topic is being used as a smokescreen against far worse antidemocratic changes in the bill.

I don't really care about the ID, thing, but I doubt the number of people without ID, who want to vote and people who will vouch is quite low, and the pathos required to go to one or two or twelve polling stations, with voters in those districts (as your voucher must be registered to vote there), willing to vouch for you, so you can vote multiple times is just...

Unlikely, to say the least.

The voter id thing a)isn't a problem because, despite certain media outlets screaming about "voter fraud", there isn't an epidemic of it. There's not numbers to support this being even a minor problem and b)anyone with a brain knows what republicans have accidentally got caught saying time and time again (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...r-id-laws-are-aimed-at-democratic-voters.html): the law will directly affect poor, minority and elderly populations who don't always have access to easy ways to obtain id's and since they tend to vote for dems… well, you do the math.

I'll say this: I'm not against voter id as a general rule, but I think we have to have a better system set up so we aren't just using it as a tool to disenfranchise minority, poor and elderly people.

How about some kind of chip? Maybe you could implant it into your body? Nothing big, you know just something to show your allegiance to the antichrist one-world-government THEBEAST… ah forget it. That won't end well.

You gotta pumice your fingernail pretty hard to get rid of ink.
No reason you can't use henna to write "I voted" on your arm, I suppose.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It's long degraded into a disgusting pile of corrupt politics. As an effort to inspire international community through sport, it's already dead - we just keep putting the corpse on tour.

I think every major international sport has their own big international tournaments already. A large part of that is also because the IOC deemed them not popular enough to be part of the Olympics :rolleyes:.

GasBandit

Staff member
Probably the same thing that goes on in the various rivers/waterways of New York/New Jersey/New Orleans. Rivers (or as we call ones that barely move, Bayous) make great places to dispose of evidence.

I wonder how many cars might be at the bottom of the Mississippi river.