Games on SALE!

GasBandit

Staff member
Was gonna say, the only title I even recognize is The Outer Worlds.

--Patrick
I've played Two Worlds 2, and it was an excruciating experience.

I had high hopes for Starpoint Gemini 2 and it turned out to be one of the most tedious gaming experiences I've ever had.

figmentPez

Staff member
Was gonna say, the only title I even recognize is The Outer Worlds.

--Patrick
The full sale also includes:
  • Aquaria
  • AER Memories of Old
  • Sid Meier's Pirates!
  • Noita
  • Giants Citizen Kabuto
But yeah, it's a lot of B-list, D-list, and cult classic games.

Has anyone played Evil Dead: The Game? It looks like it might be based on the TV show (which rocked), but I'm curious to know if the game is any good.

Has anyone played Evil Dead: The Game? It looks like it might be based on the TV show (which rocked), but I'm curious to know if the game is any good.
It's kind of where Dead By Daylight meets Left 4 Dead: It's 4 heroes (which can include multiple Ashes) trying to seal up the Book of the Dead, while against them is Deadite General (such as Deadite Ash) whom is trying to kill them all with deadite minions, scares, and such. It's pretty decent.

It's kind of where Dead By Daylight meets Left 4 Dead: It's 4 heroes (which can include multiple Ashes) trying to seal up the Book of the Dead, while against them is Deadite General (such as Deadite Ash) whom is trying to kill them all with deadite minions, scares, and such. It's pretty decent.
Ahh. For some reason, I thought it was a single player game where you control Ash. I didn't realize it was an online co-op kind of game. Not my kind of thing. Thanks, though.

Ahh. For some reason, I thought it was a single player game where you control Ash. I didn't realize it was an online co-op kind of game. Not my kind of thing. Thanks, though.
I normally hate online multiplayer games, but I love Dead by Daylight, and a big appeal of that to me was playing the killer. Not because I love killing all of the survivors and getting the win (I like that too) but even if they won it felt fun to be the monster in the spook house giving them a fright and something to overcome.

It's not something I'd recommend for everyone, and honestly once you know the game survivor is a more chill experience (player killer well is really hard) but even in games I lost hard I still enjoyed receiving messages like "omfg you scared the shit out of me hiding in that corner"

I normally hate online multiplayer games, but I love Dead by Daylight, and a big appeal of that to me was playing the killer. Not because I love killing all of the survivors and getting the win (I like that too) but even if they won it felt fun to be the monster in the spook house giving them a fright and something to overcome.

It's not something I'd recommend for everyone, and honestly once you know the game survivor is a more chill experience (player killer well is really hard) but even in games I lost hard I still enjoyed receiving messages like "omfg you scared the shit out of me hiding in that corner"
Killer gameplay in Evil Dead is a bit more interesting because you can do things like...

- set scares that drive up the players insanity
- summon and possess normal deadites in combat
- possess a car to try and run down the heroes
- etc

It's not as finally tuned but it IS a different style game.

figmentPez

Staff member
Major Steam sale started today. Reminder that Steam's major events have not reliably been the cheapest prices for several years, and that very often buying from a third party, reputable keyseller will get you better prices than buying direct from Steam. The only thing you lose out on buying a key is the ability to refund a purchase.

Is There Any Deal? is a site that aggregates a whole bunch of stores and keeps a price history. You can even make a wishlist and set up alerts.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've discovered that a number of my friends and family don't know that Netflix includes mobile games with a subscription. Google Play link , they're also on iOS, but I don't know how to link to Apple's store.

A lot of games are F2P games that have had all microtransactions removed (e.g. Knittens) but there's less mobile-centric games like Into the Breach, Oxenfree, Moonlighter, and Before Your Eyes.

So, if you've got a Netflix subscription and are looking for something to play on your phone, it's worth taking a look at their offerings.

figmentPez

Staff member
GOG.com is giving away copies of Terroir, a vineyard management sim.

I pity any poor YouTubers trying to pronounce this game's name if they aren't French or into wine tasting.

EDIT: Fixed spelling. Hopefully. I'm at least a little dyslexic.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I've discovered that a number of my friends and family don't know that Netflix includes mobile games with a subscription. Google Play link , they're also on iOS, but I don't know how to link to Apple's store.

A lot of games are F2P games that have had all microtransactions removed (e.g. Knittens) but there's less mobile-centric games like Into the Breach, Oxenfree, Moonlighter, and Before Your Eyes.

So, if you've got a Netflix subscription and are looking for something to play on your phone, it's worth taking a look at their offerings.
WHAT?!?

figmentPez

Staff member
I only know about Netflix games because when it started is when Netflix decided to pull all of its licenses from other games, like removing the stranger things characters from Dead by Daylight
I became aware of them when they took Stranger Things 3 the Game off of Steam so that it could be exclusive to the Netflix subscription. Given how few people seem to know about a Netflix subscription providing games, I think they would have been better off giving away Steam copies of ST3tG, and putting ads in it telling people about how they can get the mobile version, and many other games, free with their Netflix subscription.

I became aware of them when they took Stranger Things 3 the Game off of Steam so that it could be exclusive to the Netflix subscription. Given how few people seem to know about a Netflix subscription providing games, I think they would have been better off giving away Steam copies of ST3tG, and putting ads in it telling people about how they can get the mobile version, and many other games, free with their Netflix subscription.
I mean, removing characters from a popular game is a great way to promote your stuff, right?

Banners of Ruin is a fun little Slay the Spire-like. If that's a genre you enjoy I definitely recommend playing it for a bit to see what it has to offer.

figmentPez

Staff member
This week's Epic freebies are: Saints Row IV: Re-Elected and Wildcat Gun Machine. Next week is a mystery game.

In additional Saints Row IV news, Steam and GOG versions are being converted to the Re-Elected version, for co-op compatibility. This fixes some problems (like the disastrous implementation of Native Steam Input), but causes others. Old versions can still be accessed by jumping through some hoops.

figmentPez

Staff member
Epic is doing a free game every day thing, like every year. Today's is Bloons TD6.

I'll see if I can find any leaked lists of what games to expect.

EDIT: The only leak I've been able to find is of dubious quality, but here are the claims

• Dec 16 - Horizon Arcade Chaos (not a game, but a game mode in Forza?)
  • Dec 17 - Hollow Knight
  • Dec 18 - Hello Neighbour 1
  • Dec 19 - Cruel Bands Career (surprisingly an actual game)
  • Dec 20 - Runbow
  • Dec 21 - Filament
  • Dec 22 - Anno 1800
  • Dec 23 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Dec 24 - Goat Simulator 2 (there is no 2, the series jumped straight to 3)
  • Dec 25 - Assassins Creed Valhalla
  • Dec 26 - The Long Dark
  • Dec 27 - McPixel 3
  • Dec 28 - Alba
  • Dec 29 - Evoland
  • Dec 30 - Far Cry 6
Take this list with a grain of salt, but it's the best I've been able to find thus far. It'll be entertaining to see how it pans out. Definitely wrong.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I snagged it in case they ever finish making it and addressing the issues raised in the reviews, which are pretty brutal.

figmentPez

Staff member
EDIT: The only leak I've been able to find is of dubious quality, but here are the claims

• Dec 16 - Horizon Arcade Chaos (not a game, but a game mode in Forza?)
Today's Epic freebie is Horizon Chase Turbo.

That's pretty close to what was leaked, maybe the leak wasn't in English and translation errors crept in?

In any case, this one looks like it's a simplistic racer that is relying heavily on nostalgia as a selling point.

EDIT: It looks like the leaked list is wrong, since the preview image of wrapping paper for tomorrow's game has a bat, which doesn't match Hollow Knight, but does match Costume Quest 2. I'll keep looking for a real leak.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Epic freebie is Sable, a highly rated indie, open world, puzzle game, I think.

Tomorrow is:
Epic Wrapping Paper Clue 2022-12-18 165948.png

Possibly Them's Fightin Herds

--

Also, Humble Bundle is running a lot of repeat bundles, if anyone missed out on one earlier in the year.