Games on SALE!

And then you have to run USB cables to get your game controllers working, and USB doesn't like being extended that far.
No, this is for a pair of transceivers placed at both ends of a Cat-5e cable of the desired length that multiplexes and extends both an HDMI 1080 signal AND a USB 2.0 (though only at up to USB 1.0 speeds - it’s for keyboards, not HDDs).
Here’s a link to one such device, there are many, many more.

—Patrick

Is this somehow better than just using an HDMI cable?
Well, my computer is one floor up from the huge TV in the entertainment room. So, yes?

Though, I suppose I could buy some fish tape, run some wire through the wall of my computer room,

No, this is for a pair of transceivers placed at both ends of a Cat-5e cable of the desired length that multiplexes and extends both an HDMI 1080 signal AND a USB 2.0 (though only at up to USB 1.0 speeds - it’s for keyboards, not HDDs).
Here’s a link to one such device, there are many, many more.

—Patrick
My math may be off, but I think $157.00 > $14.00 (link plus shipping) ;)

It costs 8 bucks to ship it!
Shipping ain't free, yo ;)

My math may be off, but I think $157.00 > $14.00 (link plus shipping) ;)
Nah, it’s not off. We just already had to solve this problem for a friend of mine who likes to game (on more than just Steam) after his wife has gone to bed BUT who didn’t want to move the computer back and forth to the other room every time.

—Patrick

Is this somehow better than just using an HDMI cable?
Cat5 cable is dirt cheap, and can extend a pretty long way, whereas HDMI cables are expensive and require repeaters to boost the signal beyond a short range. Plus, being able to connect controllers to the steam link box (be it through usb or wirelessly through bluetooth) is a lot more convenient when using them in another room than the pc is in.

And if you have a really bonkers fast wifi setup, you can do it wirelessly through that.

It seems I approached this from a different angle.

I live in a one bedroom apartment. :p The computer and TV cannot help being near each other.

But the controller aspect is nice for some games.

I've been wanting to get Planet Coaster, but paid DLC is still being released for it, I think, so I've been waiting for a bundle or GOTY edition with everything in it. Or should I just get it now?

Basically. If it didn't wear the X-COM moniker, I wouldn't have cared at all. It's pretty inoffensive, except in how it tarnishes they X-COM legacy by it's meh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the game that gave rise to the spoony BETRAYAL!! meme we all love so much?

[DOUBLEPOST=1512083663,1512083616][/DOUBLEPOST]Better version:

Yes, it was. Then it got turned into a third-person cover shooter that wasn't all that interesting ether. Again, this would have been a passable game without the the X-COM branding. With it, it's a slap in the face of the series by having nothing to do with it and not PLAYING like an X-COM game.

Then they made the new X-COM game and everything was fine.

Huh. I went to redeem it, and apparently I already have this game. I definitely never bought it though, so apparently there was a previous giveaway somewhere.

GasBandit

Staff member
Two reasonably good games for free...but on Uplay. Choose how you will.

Assassins' creed 4 - black flag
World in conflict and its expansion

As far as I know, they're both considered really good on their respective genres.
The consensus on Black Flag was "lol buggy as shit and I wish I could just do the sailing parts forever and forget about the story." I didn't play it myself, so I can't corroborate.
World in Conflict, however, I did play, and it's a pretty decent RTS for the most part, but with absolutely zero base building. That might be a selling point for some people, but for me, base building has to be part of the experience.

You minus all the bullshit Assassin's Creed shit out of Black Flag and you have a turbo fun pirate fun. You take it as is and you have the best Assassin's Creed game because of all the turbo fun pirate stuff. It's still an Assassin's Creed game though, so it's got SO MUCH TEDIOUS FUCKING BULLSHIT you have to do in between all the turbo fun pirate stuff.

The pirate stuff was so much fun that I still give the game a thumbs up. It's about a 70/30 ratio of fun pirate stuff to bullshit assassin crap.

It also has THE GREATEST GLITCH OF ALL TIME.

I didn't find AC4 to be too glitchy, or at least it wasn't the glitchiest AC game I've played (that honor would probably be a tie between AC3 and Revelations).

I also didn't mind the Assassin stuff too much. After all, I like being an Assassin.

But yes, best pirate game I've ever played.