Games on SALE!

Amuse yourself with charming adventure games! Roll your eyes at what used to be considered controversial smut!

Bundle of every Leisure Suit Larry game at GOG, $17.
*sheepishly bites his tongue and hopes no one notices that his GoG account already has all the Leisure Suit Larry games...or admit that he plays them every few years*[DOUBLEPOST=1513823741,1513823510][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm assuming it's the publishers that are allowing this, and Valve is more than likely happy with it because it helps keep Steam as the premiere place to buy games (with DRM). I suppose there's some lost sales for GOG, but I have to imagine the amount of people willing to buy games a second time just to get them DRM free is relatively small. I imagine they're using it as advertising for the their site. Getting people to look at your store, create an account, and check back are pretty huge things. If only a small fraction of those who visit the site buy something, that's still considered a success.

Notice how a lot of these games are either part of a series that has a more recent title that still selling at a high price? Or they're from an indie developer that has a more recent title they want attention for? Some of the people who get the game for free might have bought it, but a lot more wouldn't have played it otherwise, and some will then go on to purchase other games in the series or from the same developer.

Watch Dogs 3 is expected sometime in 2018. Assassin's Creed Origins is currently a big title. Observer is a newer game from the makers of Layers of Fear. Limbo was free just before Inside came out. Etc.
Huh, that's true about the older games going free when a new one just dropped or is about to.

Though two companies I find are more generous than others (not including Ubisoft giving away on uPlay): Double Fine and Telltale. They're both generous in either free games (Walking Dead Season 1, Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, others in the past). And often come up in Humble Bundles. Double Fine especially seems to show up in Humble Bundles a lot, actually. Which I'm okay with. I love their games, so any chance more people get to play them is fine by me. Though with your reasoning, it also keeps their name out there. Which is great for when, say, Psychonauts 2 launches.

Looks like I'm going for a triple post because Green Man Gaming has their big holiday sale going on right now.

Some insanely good deals, like the very excellent Arkham series for $5 each (and Arkham Knight for $6.80). Plus, they have a coupon code (GMG17) for an additional 17% off.

The coupon brings GTA V down to about $25, which is VERY tempting for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1513824494,1513824360][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Stardew Valley is 34% off at Humble Bundle right now. Heckeva deal for a great game if you were ever interested in playing.

GasBandit

Staff member
On the plus side, the steam link is $5 again, for those of us who missed out on it the first time.[DOUBLEPOST=1513881051,1513880739][/DOUBLEPOST]There are good sale prices for many games, just the ones I already own :p I'll probably snag The Long Dark, though. It's 75% off.

On the plus side, the steam link is $5 again, for those of us who missed out on it the first time.[DOUBLEPOST=1513881051,1513880739][/DOUBLEPOST]There are good sale prices for many games, just the ones I already own :p I'll probably snag The Long Dark, though. It's 75% off.
It's also part of the current Humble Bundle Monthly if you're interested in trying that out. I'm thinking of getting it again and hoping I have better luck this time. I wound up enjoying a couple of indie games like Orwell and The Shrouded Isle[DOUBLEPOST=1513882305][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, whenever I hear about the Steam controller or link on sale, I can never find those deals.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's also part of the current Humble Bundle Monthly if you're interested in trying that out. I'm thinking of getting it again and hoping I have better luck this time. I wound up enjoying a couple of indie games like Orwell and The Shrouded Isle[DOUBLEPOST=1513882305][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, whenever I hear about the Steam controller or link on sale, I can never find those deals.
Hrm, does the following link not tell you it's $5? Might be a nationality thing...

Yeah, when I search for the controller or the Steam link myself, the store page only gives me links to either EB Games Canada or Amazon.ca. Neither of which offer the devices for $5. :/[DOUBLEPOST=1513883070,1513883038][/DOUBLEPOST]Huh. I stand corrected on EB Games, at least.

How about this one. Maybe they have a deal with EBGames or something.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PC/Games/720190
So one question about the Steam link: I've wanted an easier way to watch "legally obtained" videos rather than uploading them onto my laptop and connect an HDMI cord to the TV in the living room. Is there a way to stream my desktop in general rather than just using the Big Picture mode?

Also, it's too bad a similar deal is never offered (that I know of) for Steam controllers. I'd love to try one, but I'm not willing to pay full price for something I've never tried.

So one question about the Steam link: I've wanted an easier way to watch "legally obtained" videos rather than uploading them onto my laptop and connect an HDMI cord to the TV in the living room. Is there a way to stream my desktop in general rather than just using the Big Picture mode?

Also, it's too bad a similar deal is never offered (that I know of) for Steam controllers. I'd love to try one, but I'm not willing to pay full price for something I've never tried.
So here's what the steam link does: it acts as a hub for your controllers, and it mirrors your primary display to your television. So if you minimize steam on your PC and start playing a legally obtained video, it will play on your tv

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been told (by someone here) that the steam link does, in fact, give you your whole desktop and works for watching videos. It's why I want one :p

Edit: Ninja'd by Poe.

That's ok. Packs laden with loot are often short on supplies.
Yeah. I'd already bought him Crimson Court on GOG by mistake (because I thought I was buying him the base game), so I kinda had to buy the GOG version for him anyway.
So here's what the steam link does: it acts as a hub for your controllers, and it mirrors your primary display to your television. So if you minimize steam on your PC and start playing a legally obtained video, it will play on your tv
...assuming your WiFi can keep up, of course.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah. I'd already bought him Crimson Court on GOG by mistake (because I thought I was buying him the base game), so I kinda had to buy the GOG version for him anyway.

--Patrick
Carelessness will find no clemency, in this place.

--Patrick
Ethernet cables are dirt cheap and highly recommended

I thought about buying some longer HDMI cords and run them from my computer to the TV in the living room. I think I measured it to about 20 ft or so. But doing it this way would be a lot less costly, time-consuming, and general pain the ass.

I thought about buying some longer HDMI cords and run them from my computer to the TV in the living room. I think I measured it to about 20 ft or so. But doing it this way would be a lot less costly, time-consuming, and general pain the ass.
I personally love the steam link, and really only use it as a cheap alternative to long HDMI cables. One thing that is really convenient though is that it natively supports wireless connectivity to all current gen controllers. So if you have an Xbox one controller, PS4 controller, even a switch pro controller, they can all pair without any trouble and even be used for their wakeup functions

I personally love the steam link, and really only use it as a cheap alternative to long HDMI cables. One thing that is really convenient though is that it natively supports wireless connectivity to all current gen controllers. So if you have an Xbox one controller, PS4 controller, even a switch pro controller, they can all pair without any trouble and even be used for their wakeup functions
I have a wired Afterglow controller (cheaper & easier rather than buying new batties or recharging it). But from what I understand, the Steam Link has USB ports for that, too.

I have a wired Afterglow controller (cheaper & easier rather than buying new batties or recharging it). But from what I understand, the Steam Link has USB ports for that, too.
Yep, it has a few USB ports if you want to plug in a wired controller, should function the same as plugging into your pc

You didn't want to do that anyway. Ethernet was designed to run long distances. HDMI was not.

--Patrick

Okay, I'll call the local store and see if the deal applies in-store. If so, I'm totally getting one today when I go out later.
So I called. They do indeed have them and for that price. Even better, they have the Steam controllers on for $39.99. Hell, since I'm saving so much on the Link, I might just get the controller, too, for that price.

I totally scored the Steam Link. I've been eyeballing that for a long time.

figmentPez

Staff member
So I called. They do indeed have them and for that price. Even better, they have the Steam controllers on for $39.99. Hell, since I'm saving so much on the Link, I might just get the controller, too, for that price.
See if they have a bundle of the Link and the Controller. Steam does (in the US), and it's only $1.14 more than the controller alone.

If you do get a Steam Controller, my best advice is to replay Portal 2 with it to get used to trackpad & gyro aiming. It does take some getting used to, but after I did I'm much better with that combo than with an analog stick.

See if they have a bundle of the Link and the Controller. Steam does (in the US), and it's only $1.14 more than the controller alone.

If you do get a Steam Controller, my best advice is to replay Portal 2 with it to get used to trackpad & gyro aiming. It does take some getting used to, but after I did I'm much better with that combo than with an analog stick.
I asked about a bundle and he said they don't have one. But really, with the price of the Link and the discount on the controller, it's already a pretty solid deal.

And yeah, I remember your thread discussing using the controller. I wanted to mention that earlier, but couldn't remember who made the thread. :p

Stupid question time: you need to connect the stream link to your network. Does it work somewhat properly over WiFi? I don't have a cabled network in the house these days. Actually, my pc isn't even in my WiFi, now that I think about it...But that wouldn't be too big a problem. Also, can you stream from a phone or other connected device instead of a pc?

GasBandit

Staff member
Stupid question time: you need to connect the stream link to your network. Does it work somewhat properly over WiFi? I don't have a cabled network in the house these days. Actually, my pc isn't even in my WiFi, now that I think about it...But that wouldn't be too big a problem. Also, can you stream from a phone or other connected device instead of a pc?
It works better over ethernet cable. Some people have problems getting the wifi to work, some don't. Your PC doesn't have to be on wifi though, as long as it's connected to the same router, albeit by ethernet cable. You can only stream from a PC that is running steam, from what I can tell.

If you want to stream from a phone or something, you might try a chromecast.

You need to have really good wifi, and at least one side of the equation should be wired, since if your pc is connecting to the router over wifi, and then the link is connecting to the router via wifi, you're halving your potential bandwidth with the wifi having to pull double duty.