Games on SALE!

GasBandit

Staff member
Between 4 and 5 they stopped you from stacking units I believe. That's where my interest kinda waned.
I still miss the days of Civ 2, back when stacking armies was possible but dangerous. When a unit was in combat and lost, the ENTIRE STACK was destroyed. Civ 3 and 4 made it so only the one unit was destroyed and the stack would remain. It changed the strategy of war.

I also want to say they changed something about combat that made it a lot more difficult to take a city in 4, but I don't remember what that change was.
I've never played 3 so I don't know for sure, but maybe you're thinking of the change between 4 and 5 where cities now had their own innate defenses? In 4, if a city didn't have a combat unit stationed in it, then an enemy unit could simply move into the city and claim it. In 5, this was changed so that cities have their own defense values, and can attack enemy units even if they don't have defensive units stationed in them. An attacking force would have to "defeat" the city before they could occupy it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've never played 3 so I don't know for sure, but maybe you're thinking of the change between 4 and 5 where cities now had their own innate defenses? In 4, if a city didn't have a combat unit stationed in it, then an enemy unit could simply move into the city and claim it. In 5, this was changed so that cities have their own defense values, and can attack enemy units even if they don't have defensive units stationed in them. An attacking force would have to "defeat" the city before they could occupy it.
I dunno. You might be right, it's been SO long since I played a civ game that wasn't Fallen Enchantress :p

Humble Bundle has a Day of the Devs Bundle. Probably worth it alone for Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle. Though ABZU is on my wishlist and I've heard good things about Flinthook.

Full listing:

Pay Anything Tier
Grim Fandango
Tumble Seed
Loot Rascals

Pay the Average Tier (currently $6)
Day of the Tentacle
ABZU
Flinthook

$9 Tier
Full Throttle
Everything
Day of the Devs VIP ticket
$2 store credit on HB if you're a Monthly subscriber (like me!)

Bonus:
Grim Fandango soundtrack

Not sure if I'll get it, though, since I'd only REALLY be interested in Full Throttle. And that'll eventually go on sale for less than $9.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Sweet. Snagged Sunless Sea for six samolians.[DOUBLEPOST=1509043429,1509043334][/DOUBLEPOST]
For a limited time, the Humble Store has Guns of Icarus Online for free. Maybe we should have a gaming night playing this one sometime.
Just be warned, we tried that before... the game is less of a teamwork shooter and more an exercise in stress and crisis management. Tensions run high, and insults at your teammates will be hurled, and feelings will get hurt. Mark my words. Everything will be on fire, and everybody will be in everybody else's way.

Sweet. Snagged Sunless Sea for six samolians.[DOUBLEPOST=1509043429,1509043334][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just be warned, we tried that before... the game is less of a teamwork shooter and more an exercise in stress and crisis management. Tensions run high, and insults at your teammates will be hurled, and feelings will get hurt. Mark my words. Everything will be on fire, and everybody will be in everybody else's way.
I'm the captain here, stop complaining about the fire and shoot!

I was the best Captain.

I've been eyeballing Layers of Fear for a long time. Six bucks for the Masterpiece edition seems like a good deal. Anyone have a reason why I should avoid it?

I've been eyeballing Layers of Fear for a long time. Six bucks for the Masterpiece edition seems like a good deal. Anyone have a reason why I should avoid it?
You got a Amazon Prime account? I know Twitch TV is giving it away for free for people with Twitch Prime subs (which is free with Amazon Prime).

Jesus GTA5 is still 69.99$ regular price?! I've been playing online a bit, saw it was on sale 50% off and wanted to get my buddy into it but $35 for a 4 year old game is fucked.

Dave

Staff member
Bought Elex based on the reviews I saw. So it's loading - all 21.5 GB - and I start reading a few more that are not as forgiving. So I guess we'll see.

OMG. My laptop immediately froze when that game started up. I hate, hate, hate being a responsible adult who has to wait until an April bonus to buy a gaming laptop.

figmentPez

Staff member
OMG. My laptop immediately froze when that game started up. I hate, hate, hate being a responsible adult who has to wait until an April bonus to buy a gaming laptop.
It's a Unity engine game, there should be a lot you can do to get it running on a low spec machine.

Bundle Stars relaunched as Fanatical. Some decent deals. They had a good one for the Metro games but it looks like they chaged it already. They do have the previous Wolfenstein games on sale, though. I'm gonna get 'em.

Speaking of free, Watch_Dogs is available for free through Ubisoft's Uplay platform from Nov 7 - Nov 13. I've always wanted to play it because I hear it's not that bad. But I kept waiting for a good discount. Fortunately, free is the best discount!

The downside is you have to use Uplay. But funny enough, thanks to their copious amounts of giveaway, like last year's anniversary, I have a decent collection of games that I didn't pay a single cent for. I even have the first three Assassin's Creed games because of that. Mind you, I've only played a bit of the first. Keep meaning to finish it and go through the others, but it's really, REALLY tedious after awhile.

Speaking of free, Watch_Dogs is available for free through Ubisoft's Uplay platform from Nov 7 - Nov 13. I've always wanted to play it because I hear it's not that bad. But I kept waiting for a good discount. Fortunately, free is the best discount!

The downside is you have to use Uplay. But funny enough, thanks to their copious amounts of giveaway, like last year's anniversary, I have a decent collection of games that I didn't pay a single cent for. I even have the first three Assassin's Creed games because of that. Mind you, I've only played a bit of the first. Keep meaning to finish it and go through the others, but it's really, REALLY tedious after awhile.
I'd suggest sprinting through the main storyline of AC1 so you have a good idea of the story and background. Don't bother with the side stuff like killing Templars and collecting flags. AC2 is a much, much better game, but its Desmond segment starts directly after the end of AC1, so if you don't finish AC1 then AC2 is going to feel like the mother of all in media res openings.

Alternatively, finding a Youtube video of AC1's ending might also work. Because AC1's gameplay does tend to wear out its welcome near the end.

Eh 1 is alright, 2 my favourite. Then the rest are so so. 3 is trash. Connor is a garbage protagonist.

As for watch_dogs, I couldnt get in to it. Maybe they fixed it but I remember the driving physics being really terrible and the number of hackable objects being really limited. The side missions were interesting, I recall a weird spider tank being cool to play with in one. Just could not get engaged with the main plot. Still free is free.

Last edited:
I played a tiny bit of AC2 when I rented it once. I don't think I was much in the mood for it at the time because I didn't get far into it. Didn't play 3 at all. I LOVED 4, though. It's the only AC game I've played through to the end. My only major criticism - one common among many players - is the game would've worked better as a standalone pirate adventure. The assassin stuff felt shoehorned in by comparison and any time the game forced you to do assassin-related story missions, it was the dullest or most annoying parts of the game.

Yeah by 4 I was done with the Assassin stuff and the pirating was a welcome diversion. I haven't played one since because the assassin stuff seemed to take the forefront again. And they got rid of the multiplayer, which while tacted on, I really enjoyed.

I'd suggest sprinting through the main storyline of AC1 so you have a good idea of the story and background. Don't bother with the side stuff like killing Templars and collecting flags. AC2 is a much, much better game, but its Desmond segment starts directly after the end of AC1, so if you don't finish AC1 then AC2 is going to feel like the mother of all in media res openings.

Alternatively, finding a Youtube video of AC1's ending might also work. Because AC1's gameplay does tend to wear out its welcome near the end.
I would actually recommend just ignoring the story completely because it's all pretty shit. Just have fun being an assassin, the stuff in the background isn't important.

I would actually recommend just ignoring the story completely because it's all pretty shit. Just have fun being an assassin, the stuff in the background isn't important.
I meant for the purposes of playing the later games, in terms of story and lore. Plus if you just want to run around being an assassin, the later games are better for that too.

just in time for my birthday :) I played this a bit on the ps3, but that's primarily my son's machine, so I didn't spend much time on it.

fade

Staff member
Guys, I have uplay and origin on my computer, and get this? Nothing happened. I expected it to spawn the Antichrist or explode, but nope. It just plays games, weirdly enough. I also have Creative Cloud for my Adobe subscription.