[NHL] Game of Thrones on Ice (aka the NHL Hockey Thread)

Have I mentioned lately that I HATE CHELSEA DAGGER?

Only thing that made me tear up, though, was Toews handing the Cup off to Kimmo.

@blotsfan: Congrats, I think you may have just put yourself in the playoffs this year.

Though I don't think you should rely on Leggy for team leadership. Just sayin'.

Yeah...this was quite a day. We went from having no offensive talent to the top center from the 2014 draft possibly playing on the 4th line.

I don't think we have any Calgary fans here but we should probably acknowledge that trade. Yeesh, Boston.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Shit just got real real, real fast.

The LA Kings have terminated Mike Richards for cause instead of buying out his contract!

Really curious what the "incident" was - rumour is it happened at the border, and was bad enough for Dean Lombardi to back out of trade negotiations to unload the contract. Gotta be something big.

Well it has to be serious because you need the leagues permission to terminate a contract. Supposed to be a fast tracked appeal process in July so each party can get ready for next season.

And apparently the cause is known by many but they are all not talking unless called as witnesses.

But the NHL has an illegal substance policy already in place. The kings have no buisness voiding the contract like that.

What is it isn't an abuse case, but a smuggling or dealing type charge? We really don't have any details of this incident, except that the Kings stopped trade talks and let him go and terminated contract.

Article says he wasn't arrested, just questioned. This is a thing that happens at the border all the time.

--Patrick

Very talented and has a lot of potential but he was a complete disaster last year (13 points in 78 games). Defensively he might be the worst player in the league (not an exaggeration).

I think he could turn around because he'll be away from the dumpster-fire of a team that was the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres. I'd be upset about losing him if he wasn't so expensive, so for what you signed him for, I think its a great low-risk/high-reward contract.

So - when should we start a new thread for the new season?

I've got a title in mind: "Chelsea Dagger Must DIE!"

EDIT: Or do we just wanna drop the Season notation and just make this the NHL thread?

The Chicago Blackhawks are sending three-time Stanley Cup champion Patrick Sharp and defensive prospect Stephen Johns to the Dallas Stars for veteran defenceman Trevor Daley and forward Ryan Garbutt.

Sabres had their prospect scrimmage yesterday. About 17k people went, which is nice because it was $10 per ticket and all proceeds go to charity. I did not get to go, but from what I've read Eichel struggled somewhat, but also had some great moments and was on a much worse team. On the other hand it sounds like Reinhart has gotten a lot stronger and it showed, which is good because that was his big weakness for his 9 games last year.

Haven't heard about how the scrimmage went today.

Oh, and I guess there was some snooty guy from Hah-vahd there, for some reason.

Continuing the Buffalo talk: Ryan O'Reilly just got drunk and drove his truck through a window of a Tim Hortons. Charges have been laid.

I've actually heard that Nashville is one of NHL players favorite teams to play for because Nashville is such a fun city and they have good fans, but not enough that they can't still go out without being recognized.