Funny (political, religious) pictures

Dave

Staff member
The only thing some people are more religious about than religion is sports.
Nah, it's not about sports at all. It's about hiding racism behind the flag and false patriotism.

I was at the Chiefs game yesterday and I specifically watched the crowd and sidelines. A lot of people talked, texted, whatever during the anthem. There were people kneeling on the sidelines - cameramen. Nobody gives them shit. Or the people holding the Chiefs flag in the center of the field - not an American flag. None of them were standing with hands over hearts. And at the very end when it said "Land of the free, home of the-" everyone screamed "CHIEFS!" instead of "brave." I guess that changing the lyrics is more patriotic than kneeling silently in protest.

It's not about patriotism. It's about the culture and customs of the sport and its adherents. Break the customs and culture and people will yell rant and rave.

I never said it was about patriotism, just that some are almost religiously picky that others obey the customs.

And while some are indeed complaining because they are racist, I suspect many are complaining because someone isn't obeying the customs.

Remember when that one guy kneeled in prayer at the end of each of his touch downs? When the fans complained (and yes, I know other fans thought it was great, but I'm talking about people complaining here) it wasn't because they were racist, or even atheist. It was because someone was breaking customs and using their game to grandstand for a cause that they didn't believe belonged in the end zone.

They want d to watch a game, not be party to a social, religious, or other cause.

So yes, some of the complaints are racist, just as some of the complaints earlier were anti-religious.

But many are simply because the viewers don't want people to mess with their game, and it's customs.

It's not about patriotism. It's about the culture and customs of the sport and its adherents. Break the customs and culture and people will yell rant and rave.

I never said it was about patriotism, just that some are almost religiously picky that others obey the customs.

And while some are indeed complaining because they are racist, I suspect many are complaining because someone isn't obeying the customs.

Remember when that one guy kneeled in prayer at the end of each of his touch downs? When the fans complained (and yes, I know other fans thought it was great, but I'm talking about people complaining here) it wasn't because they were racist, or even atheist. It was because someone was breaking customs and using their game to grandstand for a cause that they didn't believe belonged in the end zone.

They want d to watch a game, not be party to a social, religious, or other cause.

So yes, some of the complaints are racist, just as some of the complaints earlier were anti-religious.

But many are simply because the viewers don't want people to mess with their game, and it's customs.
Most of the complaints I see are about how if they don't like the country they can leave. Maybe that's masking irritation at custom, but honestly, I'm not seeing it.

I was at the Chiefs game yesterday and I specifically watched the crowd and sidelines. A lot of people talked, texted, whatever during the anthem. There were people kneeling on the sidelines - cameramen. Nobody gives them shit. Or the people holding the Chiefs flag in the center of the field - not an American flag. None of them were standing with hands over hearts. And at the very end when it said "Land of the free, home of the-" everyone screamed "CHIEFS!" instead of "brave." I guess that changing the lyrics is more patriotic than kneeling silently in protest.
At the Bills games, there are cameramen kneeling during the anthem so they can get better pictures.

Also, the "home of the CHIEFS" thing happened literally every game at Mizzou and I don't like the Chiefs for ever because of it. Not really relevant, but thanks for those 'Nam style flashbacks.

B

BErt

Not one person who objected said they are ruining the sanctity of sports. The entire outcry was that they were disrespecting their country and "the troops"

Most of the complaints I see are about how if they don't like the country they can leave. Maybe that's masking irritation at custom, but honestly, I'm not seeing it.
Thats flying around all over the place. Earlier this year after the gay marriage Supreme Court ruling I saw a lot of that but directed towards those who were unhappy with the ruling.[DOUBLEPOST=1474936515,1474936413][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not one person who objected said they are ruining the sanctity of sports. The entire outcry was that they were disrespecting their country and "the troops"
Not one person, huh?

Well, I don't know about that, but don't a lot of fields have military personnel or veterans on the field during the anthem?

I don't watch sports but I thought that was sometimes the case.

B

BErt

fine, I'm as guilty of hyperbole as anyone else.

And yes military personnel or veterans are on the field sometimes during the anthem. But if thats the case, you're arguing against yourself. That makes it about patriotism, not the sport itself.

Or at least can we agree that police precincts were not petitioning the 49ers and threatening not to provide security because they felt that the holy game of football was being disrespected?

Reactions: Dei
If I understand the police issue correctly, I expect that we would agree that the police should provide necessary protection even for events that they may disagree with.

Jesus, this comic is not funny by it's actual content, but good lord, the caricature of Trump made me laugh out loud.