Funny (political, religious) pictures

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not a biblical scholar, but I'm struggling to think of a single bible verse that says looking at boobs is wrong.
I mean Augustine might have had a thing to say about it, but meh, who cares what he had to say? :D
It doesn't specifically say boobs, just that some parts are meant to be covered more than others, and equates nakedness to shame.

"...and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty," - 1 Corinthians 12:23
"Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!" - Revelation 16:15

And then there's Leviticus... let's not even open up THAT rat's warren.

GasBandit

Staff member
Best I can offer: Matthew 5:28-30.
Dirona undoubtably knows this already, but I think the interpretation of this passage is what lead to a lot of puritan interpretations. Of course, in patriarchal societies, naturally the MAN can't be at fault, so if a sin is caused by gazing lustfully, it must be the fault of the woman who exposed herself to his lustful gaze, yes?

Yeah, well what about Matthew 21:17?
Man, fuck that fig tree.

You've made me proof-text. I hate that.

Best I can offer: Matthew 5:28-30.
the Greek word ἐπιθυμέω was also a general term for desire. The LSJ lexicon suggests "set one's heart upon a thing, long for, covet, desire" as glosses for ἐπιθυμέω, which is used in verses that clearly have nothing to do with sexual desire.
The word translated as woman is gyne, which can mean either woman or wife. Some scholars believe that Jesus is only talking about lusting after another's wife, not the attraction of a man to a woman in general.[3] Nolland notes that sexual desire is not condemned in Matthew or in the contemporary literature, only misdirected desire.[4]
I tend to believe these kinds of verses point more toward wanting what someone else has, more than sexual desire in general. Though, to be sure, modern interpretations may differ on that opinion.

So, from that perspective, there really shouldn't be anything wrong with going to a strip club on Saturday and Church on Sunday. In fact, I think it might even be a healthier mindset than thinking that appreciating sex, bodies, etc, is wrong.

Dirona undoubtably knows this already, but I think the interpretation of this passage is what lead to a lot of puritan interpretations. Of course, in patriarchal societies, naturally the MAN can't be at fault, so if a sin is caused by gazing lustfully, it must be the fault of the woman who exposed herself to his lustful gaze, yes?

Man, fuck that fig tree.
Side note: I HATE proof-texting. Taking a line or two out of context is a dangerous thing.

Also, you can make scripture (I would argue any scripture, but Christian scriptures for sure) say whatever you want if you've got the rhetoric. So sayeth my Hebrew Bible prof at least.

Side note: I HATE proof-texting. Taking a line or two out of context is a dangerous thing.

Also, you can make scripture (I would argue any scripture, but Christian scriptures for sure) say whatever you want if you've got the rhetoric. So sayeth my Hebrew Bible prof at least.
I agree... which leads me to my reply to Gas:
It doesn't specifically say boobs, just that some parts are meant to be covered more than others, and equates nakedness to shame.

"...and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty," - 1 Corinthians 12:23
"Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!" - Revelation 16:15

And then there's Leviticus... let's not even open up THAT rat's warren.
It's my understanding that Corinthians 12, as a whole, is talking about the Church, and its people, using the human body as an anology. So this is an analogy saying something like "we even protect our most shameful body parts, so should we treat our brothers and sisters in christ" or some such. It's certainly not an edict saying not to look at boobs :D

Last edited:
Reminds me of that CS Lewis quote about childish things versus 1st Corinthians (what the fuck, how did my phone autofill that? I'm the least biblely guy I know)

GasBandit

Staff member
I agree... which leads me to my reply to Gas:

It's my understanding that Corinthians 12, as a whole, is talking about the Church, and its people, using the human body as an anology. So this is an analogy saying something like "we even protect our most shameful body parts, so should we treat our brothers in christ" or some such. It's certainly not an edict saying not to look at boobs :D
It doesn't even say WHAT the body parts are! It could be feet for all we know.

Holy Shit, we ALL know Holier-than-thou Christian people who say sex or masturbation or even looking at naked people is shameful and a sin. We also know those people ALSO do all those things.

THAT is who I was talking about, but y’all took this and fucking ran with it.

Holy Shit, we ALL know Holier-than-thou Christian people who say sex or masturbation or even looking at naked people is shameful and a sin. We also know those people ALSO do all those things.

You act like that's a bad thing! :cool:

Don’t blame me. I just made a Simpsons reference.