Funny (political, religious) pictures

Well. Now I've found the motivation too look up "cis" I now understand what Cisalpine Gaul refers to in the novel "I, Claudius" set in imperial Rome

Dave

Staff member
cis as a designation for anything is fucking stupid. It's like making up a word for a bird that has the audacity to think it's a bird. No, there doesn't need to be a word for that, unless you want to call it statistically normal.

cis as a designation for anything is fucking stupid. It's like making up a word for a bird that has the audacity to think it's a bird. No, there doesn't need to be a word for that, unless you want to call it statistically normal.
Eh, when you start calling something 'normal' you get into some really sketchy territory. In fact, that's why cis exists at all, because there became a need to specify. Tumblr takes it to stupid levels, as is what tumblr does, but there's nothing wrong with the word itself. Once upon a time, landline phones were just called phones, but then the demographics of what a phone is changed.

Dave

Staff member
Eh, when you start calling something 'normal' you get into some really sketchy territory. In fact, that's why cis exists at all, because there became a need to specify. Tumblr takes it to stupid levels, as is what tumblr does, but there's nothing wrong with the word itself. Once upon a time, landline phones were just called phones, but then the demographics of what a phone is changed.
Statistically normal is what I said. I'm not discounting that these others on the spectrum are not normal because they are. But statistically, they are a super-minority in the gene pool.

GasBandit

Staff member
SKREEEEEE (points) SHIIIIIT-LOOOOOOOORD

cis as a designation for anything is fucking stupid.
Well, if you want to be silly, if you ever fly to Paris with a stopover at new York, you could tell people you're taking a cisatlantic flight followed by a transatlantic flight. They probably won't understand you, but you'd have the fun of speaking pseudolatin.

Also, wear a toga.

Statistically normal is what I said. I'm not discounting that these others on the spectrum are not normal because they are. But statistically, they are a super-minority in the gene pool.
Should heterosexual be changed to normal as well?

Dave

Staff member
The whole cis thing revolves not only around gender identity but also sexual preference, so statistically speaking yes.

The whole cis thing revolves not only around gender identity but also sexual preference, so statistically speaking yes.
No, it doesn't cis and transgender are in regards to gender identity only. We've had this discussion before. Cis is a word that has every right to exist in the realm of qualification of specific groups. Cis is the opposite of Trans, it's that simple. It's the fact that the SJW douchies turned it into an insult that caused all the negative implications.

Also, the term sexual preference implies that it is a choice.

Dave has now reached lvl 9 Shitlord.

Dave wants to learn Swipe.

I hope that line starting with Also is taken as the joke that it was intended to be.

We really need a better way to say this than "So... what kind of parts do you like to stick stuff/have stuff stuck in?"
The "PC" term is sexual orientation.[DOUBLEPOST=1412814442,1412814068][/DOUBLEPOST]
FTFY

It's true, though. Gone are the days of "a/s/l?" Now you'd have to send an entire escaped alphabet.

--Patrick
Try having to remember the ever growing alphabet soup that is to encompass the I guess, differently sexed? community.

LGBTQIA

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgendered Questioning Intersex and Allies.

When I was a youngun, it was just the gay community....[DOUBLEPOST=1412814626][/DOUBLEPOST]I mean, seriously, Is this really what I fought for almost my entire life? For people to spend more time bitching about labels than enjoying the fact that we're actually gaining the equality I spent over half my life trying to get?

I'm already on a tirade, may as well continue it. I don't know if any of you watch RuPaul's Drag Race, but recently the Trans community got all pissed off because they use the word trannie on the show to refer to each other.

I mean, FFS, first of all, Trannie is ambiguous and was usually originally used to refer to transvestites, which is basically what drag queens are, so they have every right to use the label. Second of all, for real? There's a VAST difference between drag queens calling each other trannies and someone on the street yelling it at transsexual people as an insult.

When I was a youngun, it was just the gay community....[DOUBLEPOST=1412814626][/DOUBLEPOST]I mean, seriously, Is this really what I fought for almost my entire life? For people to spend more time bitching about labels than enjoying the fact that we're actually gaining the equality I spent over half my life trying to get?
You're bitching about people bitching about labels instead of enjoying the fact that you've gained considerable equality, I think they've won. :p

The "PC" term is sexual orientation.
Again, we need a better way to say this. This does not jive with a casual bar scene.

LGBTQIA

Isn't the last one Asexual, or is that considered Intersex?

I'm already on a tirade, may as well continue it. I don't know if any of you watch RuPaul's Drag Race, but recently the Trans community got all pissed off because they use the word trannie on the show to refer to each other.

I mean, FFS, first of all, Trannie is ambiguous and was usually originally used to refer to transvestites, which is basically what drag queens are, so they have every right to use the label. Second of all, for real? There's a VAST difference between drag queens calling each other trannies and someone on the street yelling it at transsexual people as an insult.
That's what happens when people who only know how to fight start to get what they want: they turn on each other because it's all the know.

GasBandit

Staff member
Without the struggle, they have no identity or sense of self worth. After all, you can't be proud to be making the world a better place if the world's a better place.

Dave

Staff member
The "PC" term is sexual orientation.[DOUBLEPOST=1412814442,1412814068][/DOUBLEPOST]

Try having to remember the ever growing alphabet soup that is to encompass the I guess, differently sexed? community.

LGBTQIA

:thumbsup:

And I concede the earlier point. I still think that cis is as stupid as otherkin and if that makes me a shitlord then I guess I'm guilty. But I'm a shitlord that thinks everyone deserves equality so I'm a weird shitlord.

Cisgender is just as valid as heterosexual, white, or any other descriptor that contrasts a majority group with a minority group.

Just because it's been coopted by people into a patriarchy insult doesn't make it any less valid of a word.

Cisgender is just as valid as heterosexual, white, or any other descriptor that contrasts a majority group with a minority group.

Just because it's been coopted by people into a patriarchy insult doesn't make it any less valid of a word.
Unless you want to use it around people who know it's often used as an insult. In which case it becomes completely worthless.

I hate the word homosexual, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid descriptor.
Except that word has a extensive history of use beyond people using it as a pretend-slur for people they didn't like.

Cis is almost exclusively used as an insult by the very community that created it and has spread it's use.

Except that word has a extensive history of use beyond people using it as a pretend-slur for people they didn't like.

Cis is almost exclusively used as an insult by the very community that created it and has spread it's use.
It's been in use since the 90s. There was a void for a term that describes specifically "someone who identifies as their biological gender". It was filled by this word. It's not until VERY recently that it was co-opted and misused. It wasn't needed in the past as trans people were lumped into the broad category of "sexual deviants" with homosexuals. Just as the term homosexual/heterosexual, coined sometime in the 1900s. Prior to that, they didn't even need the word heterosexual. When a new binary option word is presented, it's opposite has to be coined.

Also, I believe your interpretation of it being almost exclusively as a pejorative is most likely confirmation biased.

Also, I believe your interpretation of it being almost exclusively as a pejorative is most likely confirmation biased.
It's probably simpler to say that it's neutral uses never spread beyond it's target audience... which, again, is the fault of the community that uses it, not the ones that don't.

Unfortunately, the worsts parts of any community are often the most visible ones.

It's probably simpler to say that it's neutral uses never spread beyond it's target audience... which, again, is the fault of the community that uses it, not the ones that don't.

Unfortunately, the worsts parts of any community are often the most visible ones.
What I mean is, it's use is slowly becoming mainstream and not in a pejorative way. Like any new use of language, it will take time, but I firmly believe that eventually it will be a common selection box on demographic questions that may get into those types of questions.

Basically, people think it's weird because it's new, but people will always think that about new things.

My defense is that it is a legitimate word with legitimate use.