Funny (political, religious) pictures

GasBandit

Staff member
Not me! I'm the guy on the left. I just got to move up one spot in the line. Now as long as those two still ahead of me buy the farm before me, I'll be at the front!
Well, by that logic, Capitalism is best, cause I'm the guy who can afford the medicine :p

It won't. Healthcare isn't subsidized in any way in a pure capitalist society.
Healthcare being subsidized or not does not change the existence of insurance as a way to buy and sell risk. Unless pure capitalist societies do not have binding contracts, of course.

GasBandit

Staff member
Needing health insurance wasn't even really a thing until the federal government decided to institute wage controls during WW2.

Just another example of how government makes everything worse.

Needing health insurance wasn't even really a thing until the federal government decided to institute wage controls during WW2.
Yeah, remember the good old days before WW2, when everyone could afford medicine? (the wage control is why you have it tied to your employer, and not straight to you, like normal countries)

Well, yeah, you could afford it, because the newest advance in medicine was, like, Aspirin :p
Back then it was still a ™ .

Plus, you forget about the leeches... probably coz your family couldn't afford them... i mean it's the Leech Lord, not the Leech Hot Pie.

Don't forget the cocaine, heroin, and opium.
So basically medicine 100 years ago was AWESOME! You'd die, but you would NOT be in pain.

Considering those I know with chronic conditions who are in SEVERE pain regularly because of restrictions on painkillers, one wonders which is really better...

Meh. Come April (or whenever Sir Justin decides to introduce/pass the legislation) we'll all be so high we won't care anyways.

No, but it does change if you can afford the insurance.
Your doctor just got dropped from the network, the insurance company doubled the premium, the employer dropped coverage, and the price of the medicine has quadrupled.

Because shareholders. Yay capitalism. :p

So basically medicine 100 years ago was AWESOME! You'd die, but you would NOT be in pain.

Considering those I know with chronic conditions who are in SEVERE pain regularly because of restrictions on painkillers, one wonders which is really better...

Meh. Come April (or whenever Sir Justin decides to introduce/pass the legislation) we'll all be so high we won't care anyways.
Every opium addict I've had to deal with in my years says that THANK FUCKING CHRIST there are tighter restrictions on them now.

We're still feeling the repercussions of decades of rampant opioid prescriptions and will for a long time.

Every opium addict I've had to deal with in my years says that THANK FUCKING CHRIST there are tighter restrictions on them now.

We're still feeling the repercussions of decades of rampant opioid prescriptions and will for a long time.
And I've personally seen the suffering that is caused by pussyfooting around giving prescriptions to those in HORRIFIC pain. "Oh just try this NSAID" that does NOTHING for a condition that they "might" have an MRI to "maybe" diagnose what you have in a year (or more... in this particular case of somebody I knew it was over a year).

So Frank, since we're both in Canada, pick ONE of these options:
  1. Horrific pain for a year or more, since the condition is NOT going away on its own.
  2. Possibly addicted to Opiods, but not in pain.
There is NO third option in your world unless you're rich enough to go to the USA or somewhere else to queue-jump for an MRI, and even then you're STILL in horrific pain the whole time. IMO anybody arguing against pain control that WORKS should be hooked up to an Excruciator until they change their minds, as that's essentially what they're sentencing others to.

Until we get wider deployment of non-opiods that WORK, there's no other option. Horrific pain, or Opiods. When the source of the pain is gone, provide help in getting off of them, but don't deny in the first place.

And I've personally seen the suffering that is caused by pussyfooting around giving prescriptions to those in HORRIFIC pain. "Oh just try this NSAID" that does NOTHING for a condition that they "might" have an MRI to "maybe" diagnose what you have in a year (or more... in this particular case of somebody I knew it was over a year).

1. Horrific pain for a year or more, since the condition is NOT going away on its own.
There is NO third option in your world unless you're rich enough to go to the USA or somewhere else to queue-jump for an MRI, and even then you're STILL in horrific pain the whole time. IMO anybody arguing against pain control that WORKS should be hooked up to an Excruciator until they change their minds, as that's essentially what they're sentencing others to.

Until we get wider deployment of non-opiods that WORK, there's no other option. Horrific pain, or Opiods. When the source of the pain is gone, provide help in getting off of them, but don't deny in the first place.
WV is deep in the opioid epidemic, with no solution in sight. Mainly because the AG and his wife are deeply connected to the pharmaceutical companies that dumped hundreds of times more pills than the population needs on the state.

And that's all I've got to say about that. :(

I would assume the third option would be "Get better at prescribing the right medications to the right people, and avoid over prescribing to people who don't actually need it. It shouldn't be a matter of everyone swallows a fistful of opioids or no one does.

Also, year-and-more-long waits just aren't acceptable. I'm not American, my medical system is even more social than yours and our waits are much, much shorter.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, year-and-more-long waits just aren't acceptable. I'm not American, my medical system is even more social than yours and our waits are much, much shorter.
You also have one third the population of Canada, all crammed into 11,000 square miles.

The reasons why Canada has longer wait times than Belgium are the same reasons why socialized medicine in the US will be horrific - we've got ten times their population spread out over an even larger area*.

*Canada may look huge but 90% of their population is within 100 miles of the US border, and most of that in the east.

Oh it gets worse in many ways. Because the wait for an MRI delays "formal" diagnoses of many issues, when reporting internationally, sometimes the "time to treatment" is counted AFTER that wait, not before, and thus making Canada look better than it actually should on some scales.

And yes, I don't claim this to be something wrong with socialized medicine specifically, but it probably has something to do with the monopoly on delivery rather than having a mix of both. Single-payer is probably the best option, but single-provider is a disaster IMO.

A decent series comparing the health care systems of many countries is linked here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkfBg8ML-gIngk82SUbTp6Og_KkYfJ6oF[DOUBLEPOST=1487950973,1487950715][/DOUBLEPOST]
You also have one third the population of Canada, all crammed into 11,000 square miles.

The reasons why Canada has longer wait times than Belgium are the same reasons why socialized medicine in the US will be horrific - we've got ten times their population spread out over an even larger area*.

*Canada may look huge but 90% of their population is within 100 miles of the US border, and most of that in the east.
Size-of-country has something to do with certain problems (access from rural) but that doesn't justify the wait times. Two differences with two different problems. There isn't cause-and-effect there.

And your footnote is off. According to National Geographic, 75% within 100 miles. This place also has a nice map for this question.