Funny (political, religious) pictures

Would you rather live in a world where this is true: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RightMakesMight

...or this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MightMakesRight

Pick one. They're mutually exclusive. We may be living in the second, but I'd rather at least HOPE that the first is true, on some level, eventually. If it's purely the 2nd (as Carlin advocated) then as long as you end up writing the history books, you will be both mighty and right in the end.

No he didn't (not in the picture, at least).
You can hope that, in the end, right will make might, so to speak, without need for divine intervention and praying. You can hope that human nature is more good than bad, just enough that after all 'right' will win. You can hope that people with the right intentions will convince others, or that they will fight harder, just hard enough to overcome their disadvantadges.

I guess since all these options are about taking matters into your own hands, they do end up being about might making right. But if that's the case, praying does too. Just in a more passive way.

Pascal's wager is a load of horse doodoo, to be fair.
The whole field of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_theory would disagree with you.

But it is important to note that it is not proof for or against God (esp since the parameters are so limited), but rather an example of a rational argument for believing in a God.[DOUBLEPOST=1486672127,1486671922][/DOUBLEPOST]
You have a choice in what you believe, and how you act accordingly.

You can believe the moon is made of cheese all you want... you'll get space dust in your mouth instead all the same.

And i was going to say something about how Christianity doesn't say the world is fair in the 1st place, and that's what Haven is for, but with so many denominations, who knows what interpretation you use...

But it is important to note that it is not proof for or against God (esp since the parameters are so limited), but rather an example of a rational argument for believing in a God.
Not even that - but yes, that's my point. People using P's W as a reason to believe is ridiculous. It's as much proof for Islam, Hinduism, Pastafarianism or the Roman Gods as it is for Christianity. Not even mentioning the very basic counter that any creature that could be fooled by "faith" because of P's W is by definition not a God.

Not even that - but yes, that's my point. People using P's W as a reason to believe is ridiculous. It's as much proof for Islam, Hinduism, Pastafarianism or the Roman Gods as it is for Christianity.
It can even be used to "prove" the existence of a banana.

--Patrick

Not even that - but yes, that's my point. People using P's W as a reason to believe is ridiculous.
Oh for... trying to counter it by expanding it into things it made no claim about is the definition of a strawman argument.

Pascal's Wager is simply an argument about why one would choose to believe from a rational point of view. Choosing in which religion to believe in would be based on other, unrelated factors.

It's as much proof for Islam, Hinduism, Pastafarianism or the Roman Gods as it is for Christianity.
Which is no proof at all, because proof is not what it's about.

Not even mentioning the very basic counter that any creature that could be fooled by "faith" because of P's W is by definition not a God.
People struggle with faith all the time (i believe the Vatican released some letters from Mother Teresa where she expresses doubts too), so assuming anyone using P'sW as justification to themselves is simply being a cynical gambler is kind of biased.

I mean you really think Pascal made the argument while not really believing?

Boy you guys. I just put P's W out there as an example of how believing the world to be one way or another alters your OWN behavior, making it similar-ish to the original point I made, not as a model for all things, nor that they were the same.

Calm down guys.

Boy you guys. I just put P's W out there as an example of how believing the world to be one way or another alters your OWN behavior, making it similar-ish to the original point I made, not as a model for all things, nor that they were the same.

Calm down guys.
This post's "funny" score is increased at least 19% based on the person saying it.

--Patrick

Is that a custom made Southpaw jacket, or do y'all have inside pockets on the right?

Oh, maybe this was photoshopped to be a mirror image.

On the surface, @jwhouk, this might just seem to be Trump doing more glory-grabbing:
trumpism.png

...but it seems the bigger story is what's going on in the lower left-hand corner of the photo:

story

--Patrick