Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

GasBandit

Staff member
Cat Deterrent.

OP reports cat got revenge that morning by peeing on his coat.

The third one is a gif but because IMGUR IS STOOPID it isn't animating, you'll have to click through to see.

fade

Staff member
That show is weird. Judging from anime, I'm not sure Japanese writers understand that demons are supposed to be evil. I think translation is to blame, because one of the words we translate as "demon" and vice versa is not 1 to 1 compatible.

GasBandit

Staff member
That show is weird. Judging from anime, I'm not sure Japanese writers understand that demons are supposed to be evil. I think translation is to blame, because one of the words we translate as "demon" and vice versa is not 1 to 1 compatible.
Or maybe the other guy just got all the good press. I mean, really, what did the Morningstar do that was so awful, other than decide God wasn't all he was hyped up to be?

That show is definitely about denizens of hell, in the Christian sense. Rias is literally the Devil's (with a capital D) little sister.

fade

Staff member
That show is definitely about denizens of hell, in the Christian sense. Rias is literally the Devil's (with a capital D) little sister.
I get that--I watched it. That doesn't change my point, though. If someone explained Shinto to you and described what might be described as an evil being using the name "fairy" or "elf" you would probably be tempted--especially after hearing the story diluted a few degrees, to interpret them more toward your own culture's definition of "fairy" or "elf".

As for your first point...well okay, if that's your take, fine, but whether it's bad press or actual evil, the Devil is the quintessence of evil in traditional Christianity.

GasBandit

Staff member
I get that--I watched it. That doesn't change my point, though. If someone explained Shinto to you and described what might be described as an evil being using the name "fairy" or "elf" you would probably be tempted--especially after hearing the story diluted a few degrees, to interpret them more toward your own culture's definition of "fairy" or "elf".

As for your first point...well okay, if that's your take, fine, but whether it's bad press or actual evil, the Devil is the quintessence of evil in traditional Christianity.
Well yeah, traditional Christianity is God's fan club :p of course they'd hold that position. I don't want to spark a religious debate in the Funny Pictures thread, but seems to me that a dispassionate look at the last few thousand years will confirm that Satan didn't hold a monopoly on evil, or perhaps even a controlling interest. It's like, imagine what your opinion about wheat farmers might be if your only source of information on the subject was someone who claimed a gluten allergy (but snuck pasta whenever possible).

As for the other thing, I really don't think it's that out of character, given that devils were basically fallen angels cast out of God's grace. It's just the fan club then started drawing them as monsters. Actuality might have been more.. bishy.

You know, apart from the fact that we're discussing mythology here :p (I almost used "reality" instead of "actuality" in that sentence /donk)

fade

Staff member
Well yeah, traditional Christianity is God's fan club :p of course they'd hold that position. I don't want to spark a religious debate in the Funny Pictures thread, but seems to me that a dispassionate look at the last few thousand years will confirm that Satan didn't hold a monopoly on evil, or perhaps even a controlling interest. It's like, imagine what your opinion about wheat farmers might be if your only source of information on the subject was someone who claimed a gluten allergy (but snuck pasta whenever possible).

As for the other thing, I really don't think it's that out of character, given that devils were basically fallen angels cast out of God's grace. It's just the fan club then started drawing them as monsters. Actuality might have been more.. bishy.

You know, apart from the fact that we're discussing mythology here :p (I almost used "reality" instead of "actuality" in that sentence /donk)
I think we're having two different conversations here, though.