[Funny] Funny Pictures! (Keep em clean, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
You ever wonder what Star Wars would have been like if it were set in an 80s high school?

They had me at the Millenium Falcon being a T-Top Trans Am.

Still putting a Volkswagen combi against a Lambo and a Porsche, though :p
(yes, our cops drive the same combi/vans with different lettering, but sshhhhht)[DOUBLEPOST=1345204226][/DOUBLEPOST]
"We asked 100 men what they wanted to see more than anything else in the world... survey says...!"

I don't understand. Does this mean 4 out of every 100 men are gay for the Rock and 3 have gotten laid in the past 4 hours? :p

Lord knows, I have atrocious spelling problems... My Dad is from South Texas, and my Mom is from East Texas, and neither one ever said a word correctly...

I was at World Market yesterday looking for various snack items when low and behold I ran in to our very own GasBandit.

I think I need an adult...

I think the takeaway here is that Heinz spotted dick pudding comes in a steel can BUT then proclaims itself "Microwaveable!" on the label.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I dunno about where you live, but here, that can of beans is like 4 and a half bucks in the foreign food aisle at kroger.

I think the takeaway here is that Heinz spotted dick pudding comes in a steel can BUT then proclaims itself "Microwaveable!" on the label.

--Patrick
Back in my first week of university, the warden of my hall of residence liked to tell the story of the guy who put a can of beans in the microwave, without opening the top with a can opener first. Apparently to this day, there are still bits of beans lodged in the walls of the kitchen, from when the can exploded.

GasBandit

Staff member
Back in my first week of university, the warden of my hall of residence liked to tell the story of the guy who put a can of beans in the microwave, without opening the top with a can opener first. Apparently to this day, there are still bits of beans lodged in the walls of the kitchen, from when the can exploded.
That sounds like one of "those" stories... because that's not really what would happen if you put an unopened can in the microwave. The whole deal with metals is they block and reflect microwaves - the real reason they tell you not to put metal in there is because it's likely to fry the oven's magnetron (making it suck at cooking) or even cause arcing current inside the food compartment which might burn away some of the protective covering inside the oven that stops the microwaves from getting out and mutating your family whenever you go to zap a hot pocket. But the beans inside will probably not get very hot, and thus not boil, and certainly not to the point where the pressure is sufficient to rupture the can.

Necronic

Staff member
I doubt that story is true either, but I bet a can of beans would explode if you did that (if the magnetron survives long enough). When you hit a conducting metal with a microwave it starts generating a current. If the metal is of a sufficiently high resisistance it will begin to heat up. I used to work with a conductive material that we would spray on glass plates. We would then start to microwave them, they would explode with some pretty impressive force after maybe a minute or so due to superheating from the electrical resistance of the material on them.

And when you heat a sealed container it's even more likely to go boom.

If the student blew up a can of beans, then he left it on the hot plate unopened.

Now boiling eggs in the microwave.... BOOOOM when you take them out and the temperature changes. My bro has 14 foot ceilings in his house with assploded egg stains up there.

GasBandit

Staff member
I doubt that story is true either, but I bet a can of beans would explode if you did that (if the magnetron survives long enough). When you hit a conducting metal with a microwave it starts generating a current. If the metal is of a sufficiently high resisistance it will begin to heat up. I used to work with a conductive material that we would spray on glass plates. We would then start to microwave them, they would explode with some pretty impressive force after maybe a minute or so due to superheating from the electrical resistance of the material on them.

And when you heat a sealed container it's even more likely to go boom.
Yeah, but that was heat being applied to glass, probably unevenly so that different areas of the glass were probably trying to expand faster than other areas, leading to catastrophic loss of integrity. Aluminum is made of sterner stuff and even if you got the can itself ouchy-ouchy-burn-me hot, it's unlikely to give out before the magnetron does, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.