Former President Trump Thread

He knows it's not doable in Congress now. State of emergency bullshit is the only way for him to have his shitty wall.

Which means, no reason Congress can't put an end to the shutdown. No reason, but still can't manage.

How long are they on break now? Hope they enjoy their paychecks. Wonder what that feels like.

Dave

Staff member
This is either going to end the shutdown or prompt Trump to declare a national emergency to build the wall.

This is either going to end the shutdown or prompt Trump to declare a national emergency to build the wall.
The looming Superbowl 2019 coming in a little more than week is likely going to be what breaks this; it can't happen without a massive security detail from the federal government and people can't GET THERE without functional airports unless they live relatively close by. The NFL and the hosting city stand to lose millions of dollars if things don't go as planned and it's guaranteed to make Trump look like a complete loser.

Apparently the Atlanta airports started with weekly Superb Owl meetings in October and switched to daily mid December.

They haven't had any meetings since the shutdown began.

Is it closed or just delayed? The site you posted just shows a delay of an hour or so.
Apparently yesterday it was shut down due to suspected terrorism against a Delta airlines flight that was on the tarmac, and they simply lack the manpower to get it back up to speed.

Holy shit, a plane crashed in Ohio on Monday killing both pilots.

The only people dealing with the issue are the state police.

Claiming a National Emergency for something like this would open the floodgates so wide I might end up agreeing with GasBandit. It's a scary thought ;)

Claiming a National Emergency for something like this would open the floodgates so wide I might end up agreeing with GasBandit. It's a scary thought ;)
I think he will find that is a line of no return for conservatives. There's no way all Republicans will support him on declaring national emergencies for his own personal agenda, simply because they will see how much that tilts the balance of power to the executive branch. And they can put 2 and 2 together; Trump is almost certainly going to lose in 2020, and they don't want a Democrat declaring national emergencies left and right to avoid Congress' objections. It will be a bipartisan effort to block the wall if he goes that route.

I think he will find that is a line of no return for conservatives. There's no way all Republicans will support him on declaring national emergencies for his own personal agenda, simply because they will see how much that tilts the balance of power to the executive branch. And they can put 2 and 2 together; Trump is almost certainly going to lose in 2020, and they don't want a Democrat declaring national emergencies left and right to avoid Congress' objections. It will be a bipartisan effort to block the wall if he goes that route.
Oh you sweet summer child.

Dave

Staff member
The difference would be that there are REAL things that could be construed as national emergencies - gun violence and healthcare spring to mind. *I* don't want these things used to circumvent congress so I refuse to believe republicans wouldn't see that that's exactly what would happen.

The difference would be that there are REAL things that could be construed as national emergencies - gun violence and healthcare spring to mind. *I* don't want these things used to circumvent congress so I refuse to believe republicans wouldn't see that that's exactly what would happen.
Aww and you think republicans will agree to play by the same rules as democrats.

Dave

Staff member
I don't think they'd have a choice. A democratic president gets in and they could declare a state of emergency. No congress needed. They can do fuck all to stop it. So whether or not they wanted to play by the same rules or not is immaterial.

I don't think they'd have a choice. A democratic president gets in and they could declare a state of emergency. No congress needed. They can do fuck all to stop it. So whether or not they wanted to play by the same rules or not is immaterial.
Kavanaugh and Gorsuch will rule it constitutional when trump does it and unconstitutional when a democrat does it.