[MMO] Final Fantasy XIV (we get to be cats!)

Branching is sort of the reason why. For example, WAR has more than one conclusion for it's Heavy Swing -> Maim combo. PLD has more than one conclusion for it's Fast Blade -> Riot Blade combo. MNK has TONS of variations, as does DRG and SAM. There are also reasons not to want to progress in a combo... for example, I might not want to go into Mythril Tempest from Overpower while tanking as a WAR. I might just want to spam two or more Overpowers. It's a concious design decision, because in PVP they just do exactly what you want and turn it into one button for the whole combo because you only get one combo anyway.
You misunderstand. Go play Aion for 10-20 levels (it's free now IIRC) and you'll see how they have branching combos as well, and still do this. One button stays on "one" side of the combo, so you only need a 2nd button for the other side of the combo. not 4-6 buttons. You don't NEED that number of buttons. And if people want to keep it the "old" way, then let them, but give me something more reasonable! Hell, under your scheme, they shouldn't be doing it with Verflare/Verholy either!

Monk... I don't know monk. I accept it's more complicated, but things still seem possible here. Basically, I see a greyed-out button (or "only good if after a combo" ) a waste of hotbar space. I'll bet controller people are even MORE frustrated by this.

Oh and Trusts. Great while getting to 80, but what they do after you finish MSQ is just idiotic. I think it's a terrible idea, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't gotten there yet.

So, everybody here finished the 80 MSQ? Talking without spoiler tags would be awesome.

And btw Eden is nice, though people can be idiotic. Last night I had to rez about 8 times in Eden 4 regular (and that was on Summoner). The red mage in particular I think was taking a dirtnap the majority of the time.

So, everybody here finished the 80 MSQ? Talking without spoiler tags would be awesome.

And btw Eden is nice, though people can be idiotic. Last night I had to rez about 8 times in Eden 4 regular (and that was on Summoner). The red mage in particular I think was taking a dirtnap the majority of the time.
I've been main tanking Eden. I've seen some shit the last few weeks.

I don't like Depth of Field effects.
It's one of the many, many filter effects you can toggle on and off when using the Group Pose function to stage screenshots (which is what Terrik used to do those shots).

ffxiv_02062022_015024_015.png

You can also do things like add stickers and other pop-ups (like the "Duty Complete" thing I have on my previous shot).

I just attended my first in-game wedding! It was actually very sweet.

ffxiv_02062022_161834_879.png

The happy couple make their arrival

ffxiv_02062022_161846_587.png

A moogle officiates, because of course one does. In the back you can see myself and the rest of the free company gathered (I'm on the left side of this shot, front row, in the white tux)

ffxiv_02062022_162005_980.png

Ring Exchange
ffxiv_02062022_162812_027.png

ffxiv_02062022_162852_454.png

ffxiv_02062022_162919_971.png

Ok, the flying is just showing off

ffxiv_02062022_163029_059.png

Everyone rushes the altar, as you do

ffxiv_02062022_163151_565.png

The happy couple make their exit. You can again see me in the white on the right of this picture, trying to blend in with the flowers
ffxiv_02062022_163925_908.png

They ride away on a godsdamn marriage chocobo. The wedding chicken

ffxiv_02062022_164032_285.png

As a bard I'm in charge of the after party music, while here you can see the newlyweds have changed out of their formal clothes

ffxiv_02062022_165959_163.png

Overall, a good time was had by all
ffxiv_02062022_170657_324.png

So, back into it. Everything seemed so familiar, so I came here to see if I'd played before.
Sure enough, Played for about 2 hours on the free trial nearly 3 years ago. This time around, I'm having a better go of it.

I know the advice is to stay away from the trash side quests, but I've been doing them all anyway, so I can get my bearings about the city (which is what it seems like they're aimed at, anyway). It seems like some of them (getting the most favorite season's colors for the weaver's guild and placing ads on colloseum walls) have been pared down, because I remember running around a whole lot more for these the first time. And, I was able to do a few like Greasing the Cogs that had me fighting Rusty Coblyns 3 levels higher than I was. But, I learned to kite, and I learned to move out of range when the aoe attack indicator showed up on the ground, so they actually weren't that hard to kill once I learned to fight them.

This morning, I ran out of side quests that I could see on the map, and I'm level 8, so I go ahead and knock out Underneath the Sultantree MSQ. It was much easier this time around than last time. I've learned a few things about playing a thaumaturge that's made it a bit easier.

Last edited:
This morning, I ran out of side quests that I could see on the map, and I'm level 8, so I go ahead and knock out Underneath the Sultantree MSQ. It was much easier this time around than last time. I've learned a few things about playing a thaumaturge that's made it a bit easier.
Thaumaturge is one of the most interesting classes, because every expansion it feels like you need to relearn how to play the class to take advantage of a new mechanic. It's fun though!

Got up to level 11 on lunch. It's not feeling like a big grind at the moment, and I'm having fun doing the unnecessary side quests. I've never played this (beyond that first couple hours way back when) so I'm in no rush to skip a lot of content and race to the max level. I'm also having fun not geeking out and delving into all the websites (which I'm sure exist) that tell me what the perfect builds are, and laying out a roadmap for progression, and where to get all the best gear, etc. Just taking it easy and playing. It's a nice change of pace to how I did MMOs in the past.

I have some quest to move me over to Eastern Thanalan for something or other. I assume it's to get me out of the starter area. I'll take my time on that one and do it when I'm done futzing around here near the starter city.

I am suffering right now because I just got to
the part of the Garlean storyline in Endwalker where you get your body stolen

My husband has just started Stormblood and I am literally screaming while also telling him to not look at what is making me scream.

Got up to level 11 on lunch. It's not feeling like a big grind at the moment, and I'm having fun doing the unnecessary side quests. I've never played this (beyond that first couple hours way back when) so I'm in no rush to skip a lot of content and race to the max level. I'm also having fun not geeking out and delving into all the websites (which I'm sure exist) that tell me what the perfect builds are, and laying out a roadmap for progression, and where to get all the best gear, etc. Just taking it easy and playing. It's a nice change of pace to how I did MMOs in the past.

I have some quest to move me over to Eastern Thanalan for something or other. I assume it's to get me out of the starter area. I'll take my time on that one and do it when I'm done futzing around here near the starter city.
Unless you are doing Savage or Extreme content, there is not reason to worry about any of that. Post-50, gearing is very simple and pre-50 it's only slightly more complicated.

Gearing advice? Go to the marketboard, find the highest level stuff you can equip, buy the HQ version of that. It's that simple. It's ALWAYS that simple except at the highest of high end content.

So one thing that really caught me off guard when first getting into FF14 is that the grind isn't leveling, the number of your level really doesn't matter (at least in the beginning) and you'll quickly outlevel most of the stuff around you. Progression isn't made by leveling up, it's done by moving through the story. So stuff that would normally be level locked in a game like WoW, such as being able to use mounts, is story locked instead, and will unlock when you get far enough into the story for it to happen.

So one thing that really caught me off guard when first getting into FF14 is that the grind isn't leveling, the number of your level really doesn't matter (at least in the beginning) and you'll quickly outlevel most of the stuff around you. Progression isn't made by leveling up, it's done by moving through the story. So stuff that would normally be level locked in a game like WoW, such as being able to use mounts, is story locked instead, and will unlock when you get far enough into the story for it to happen.
Yeah through my family off too when they started. I had to tell them (especially since they bought all the Xpacs and could level up past 50 while going through ARR) that they'll all be synced to story content so, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Was taking some screenshots with some beach glamour and then the goddamn weather system kicked in. The story practically wrote itself.

2022-02-04_11-03-18-011_OMGEorzea.png

Easy rise for a resort vacation

2022-02-07_23-12-52-259_OMGEorzea.png

Road sparrow is best sparrow

2022-02-04_10-05-13-045_OMGEorzea.png

Hanging with the locals

2022-02-04_09-12-18-890_OMGEorzea.png

2022-02-04_09-12-59-079_OMGEorzea.png

2022-02-04_09-10-10-839_OMGEorzea.png

Enjoying the water

2022-02-04_11-20-41-810_OMGEorzea.png

...Enjoying the water?

2022-02-04_11-12-47-113_OMGEorzea.png

Depression

2022-02-04_11-10-32-676_OMGEorzea.png

Complaining to the jerkass Lalafel manager

2022-02-04_11-28-39-434_OMGEorzea.png

Waiting it out. "I want a fish this big."

2022-02-04_11-30-40-123_OMGEorzea.png

Thank goodness, the sun is back.

2022-02-04_11-34-08-743_OMGEorzea.png

Fin. Because of the fish.

As a side note, I got WHM to 85 and said, eh, changed my mind again, I guess I will give sage a shot. Super good thing I leveled another healing class first so I know how to heal at least. Neat class, but I have to break some WHM habits first.

Was taking some screenshots with some beach glamour and then the goddamn weather system kicked in. The story practically wrote itself.

View attachment 40481

Easy rise for a resort vacation

View attachment 40488

Road sparrow is best sparrow

View attachment 40480

Hanging with the locals

View attachment 40478
View attachment 40479
View attachment 40477

Enjoying the water

View attachment 40484

...Enjoying the water?

View attachment 40483

Depression

View attachment 40482

Complaining to the jerkass Lalafel manager

View attachment 40485

Waiting it out. "I want a fish this big."

View attachment 40486

Thank goodness, the sun is back.

View attachment 40487

Fin. Because of the fish.

As a side note, I got WHM to 85 and said, eh, changed my mind again, I guess I will give sage a shot. Super good thing I leveled another healing class first so I know how to heal at least. Neat class, but I have to break some WHM habits first.
Shields and nukes :D

I'm surprised at the continued resistance toward Scholar the player base seems to have, even though it's arguably the best Healer right now thanks to potency and range changes.

- It has better barriers than Sage while being less frantic to play.
- It has none of the MP problems that White Mage does during high level play.
- It has better single target, on-demand healing than Astro.

It's not the Green DPS is used to be, but it's got answers for basically everything now. Even Expediate, the meme ability from the new ability trailer, is absolutely fantastic for Raid Progression.

I'm surprised at the continued resistance toward Scholar the player base seems to have, even though it's arguably the best Healer right now thanks to potency and range changes.

- It has better barriers than Sage while being less frantic to play.
- It has none of the MP problems that White Mage does during high level play.
- It has better single target, on-demand healing than Astro.

It's not the Green DPS is used to be, but it's got answers for basically everything now. Even Expediate, the meme ability from the new ability trailer, is absolutely fantastic for Raid Progression.
I don't actually find Sage frantic. But since it feels pretty familiar to me, that's probably a big part of it.

I had no idea fashion accessories were a thing until I was doing fates in Bozjan and got a drop out of a lockbox

2022-02-09_00-50-38-462_OMGEorzea.png
2022-02-09_00-53-13-895_OMGEorzea.png

I had no idea fashion accessories were a thing until I was doing fates in Bozjan and got a drop out of a lockbox
They're... fairly recent? I think the first dropped in the Firmament during the second phase of construction. There's a few parasols for sale there, a couple of umbrellas for sale in Kugane, a set of wings from Endwalker Hunts, a set of pixie wings and angel wings from Smiletron treasure maps, and a set of glasses from Gold Saucer. Most of that can be bought on the auction house, but it's going to be like .5-1 million gil a piece.

figmentPez

Staff member
At least there's no "Bloom" setting.
There's bloom around the light sources.

More than half of the time I hear people complain about some 3D rendering effect, they say "I hate <effect>" when they only hate over-done, poorly implemented, unrealistic looking, or otherwise bad examples of <effect>. You don't hate motion blur, you hate globally applied motion blur, and camera movement based motion blur. Per-object motion blur looks fucking awesome when it's on the spinning barrels of a mini-gun. You don't hate bloom, you hate overdone bloom that makes everything a blurry mess.