[MMO] Final Fantasy XIV (we get to be cats!)

Oh no Kugane parkour
Work up to it. Start with Leap of Faith in the Saucer (and get it to the point where it only has a bad fall once in a while, but is fun), then get up to the top of one of the pillars in Rhalgr's Reach, and then go for the tower. It's surprisingly BAD initially, and then once you "get" a few techniques, most of it goes well, and then it's bad again, and then you win!

And then leap to the other sightseeing point at the tea shop. Both @Dirona and I nailed it first try. After watching guides. But still, we did.

Or get blue mage and suicide, and get somebody to rez you onto the tea shop point! That works for the tea shop, but doesn't work for the tower.

I feel the tug of this game so hard.

But I can't get the MMO monkey back on my back. I just can't >_<
You can literally play it as a single-player game for the first 50 levels at least (not sure how far duty support goes yet, that's another question). And then for the last 20, same deal (very nearly, trials you need to go in Duty Finder for). Yes others will be running around, but no need to interact with them either.

If you decide to play (or not) though, don't treat it like an MMO. A great video (half an hour, but still worth it) is this one from JoCat:

Basically: be there for the spectacle and story. If you're there to grind through it, you (probably) won't enjoy it.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can literally play it as a single-player game for the first 50 levels
You can... but I won't.

See, I'm not saying I don't LIKE MMOs... I'm saying they cause RL problems for me. Everquest was a major detrimental factor to my job performance back in 1999.

"You don't HAVE to inject the heroine we put here on the table in front of you, heroine addict."

You can... but I won't.

See, I'm not saying I don't LIKE MMOs... I'm saying they cause RL problems for me. Everquest was a major detrimental factor to my job performance back in 1999.

"You don't HAVE to inject the heroine we put here on the table in front of you, heroine addict."
To be fair, this is me and SMITE and alot of lootboxy games. I know what it's like to just have an easily scratchable addiction and it fucking sucks when it involves a social activity a lot of your friends engage in.

You can... but I won't.

As a former mmo junkie myself, I will say that the one thing that got me back into playing an mmo of how much FFXIV respects my time. I never feel pressured to try to catch up to something or if I don't do this right now I'm gonna miss out, I can comfortably play it as little or as much as I want

As a former mmo junkie myself, I will say that the one thing that got me back into playing an mmo of how much FFXIV respects my time. I never feel pressured to try to catch up to something or if I don't do this right now I'm gonna miss out, I can comfortably play it as little or as much as I want
Yeah this is pretty much it. The fact I can enjoy myself while also having the eternal grind of professional school says a lot about the game.

GasBandit

Staff member
It is more that the social aspects of the game will probably devour my life because every MMO I've played in the past, that's exactly what happened. In fact, the social aspects kept me playing most of them LONG past when I'd actually gotten sick of the games themselves.

GasBandit, we already know you’re a heroine addict. Especially red-headed ones. ;)
the one thing that got me back into playing an mmo of how much FFXIV respects my time.
The trouble I have with any “social” game is my schedule is so irregular that I can’t really play any game “with” other people, because I can’t meet up for adventuring on any kind of regular schedule, and so either everyone else outlevels me, or I miss out on all the “group mandatory“ activities (e.g., raids) and I quickly become the stereotypical tag-along coattail member of the party.

—Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
GAH I have been using wrong words like crazy lately. Yesterday I said geographic when I meant geometric. Now this.

I am a loyal Gridanian cat-girl, and so I was whining about having to go to Limsa for some reason - "it's too busy and too loud!"
Port into town: teleport noise --> quiet --> *BWAWH* *electric guitar power chord*! --> Limsa background music starts.
Sheesh.