Everyday sexual harassment of women

True, but it does lend itself to "watering down" rape. And yes, I'm aware that some people like to jump up and down my throat when I say something like that, but there's a difference of gravity between a grope on the bus and being anally violated by 6 men in an alley. Calling both "rape" just means we need yet another word to distinctively mean the worst kind. Both are forms of sexual harassment, both are unacceptable intrusions in personal space and half a dozen other things. I'm not referring to your usage, specifically, Pat, 'cause I do know and understand what you mean, but some people would like to label "being forced to listen to a man drone on about something misogynist"as being "rape". At a certain point, someone could say "I've been raped!" and people wouldn't know how serious to take it. It's like using one sweeping term for everything from pickpocketing to carjacking and home invasions and mail fraud. Yes, they're all theft. But, while all of those are crappy, someone who got swindled out of $500 by a phishing scam gets a different reaction than someone whose home was invaded, whose care and memorabilia were stolen, etc etc. The second one almost being a form of rape, going by the whole "unwanted invasion of personal space" form.

Anyway, the general term ("theft") is, AFAIK, sexual harassment or whatever. "Rape" is a specific term for some of the worse variations, to me.
Usually, at least in my experience, the difference is "sexual assault" and "rape", as in, you can be sexually assaulted in a way that targets your sex/person, but it isn't necessarily rape, but rape is a form of sexual assault. Both are bad and should never be allowed to happen, but I wouldn't consider the number of times I've been sexually assaulted as rape.

GasBandit

Staff member
http://www.dictionary.com
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
"The Rape of the Sabine Women" is referring to how they were abducted, not what happened afterwards, after all.

to plunder (a place); despoil.
Captain Gloriosus raped Thrace thrice?[DOUBLEPOST=1409061132,1409061000][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://feministchallengingtransphob.../03/22/if-everything-is-rape-nothing-is-rape/

Thought this was an interesting read and relevant to the conversation.
One thing that definitely HAS annoyed me about the "gaming community" as its overuse of the word "rape" in a context simply meaning victory. Very irritating.

PLEASE let us talk about the definition of the word rape and quote a dictionary, that is REALLY a great form of discourse and will help everyone have a greater understanding

I'd rather that money / effort go into teaching men not to sexually assault women instead
What's your price, Charlie? How much money and time would it take to train/bribe you to stop everyday assaulting women? $20? $40? Would a one-time payment be enough, or would we need to set up some kind of subscription thing to keep the "You shouldn't be doing that" fresh in your head?

--Patrick

What's your price, Charlie? How much money and time would it take to train/bribe you to stop everyday assaulting women? $20? $40? Would a one-time payment be enough, or would we need to set up some kind of subscription thing to keep the "You shouldn't be doing that" fresh in your head?

--Patrick

I have no clue what you're even beginning to say in your post, sorry

Necronic

Staff member
The way it changes is through coversations like this which will slowly push public opinion in ways that will force public figures to change how they present themselves which will then change the prevailing culture that children are raised in.

And it's working! Just the discussion of it. The whole Dickwolves thing, I can guarantee you that it has changed how a lot of authors write. And I'm not arguing that the Dickwolves argument was right or wrong. I'm jus saying that increased exposure of the issue through discussions like this eventually get us moving (sort of) forward. "Rape culture" will eventually be like civil rights/racism. It will still exist, but it will be socially unacceptable.

So anyways. Keep talking about it. Talking about our problems doesn't directly solve them, but it makes us more thoughtful which goes a long way to fixing things. We're doing it right now. We did it before. And we'll do it again!

This requires one to believe that human babies are blank slates, and that every desire or urge is molded by their environment, though, which few people truly accept, so I'm not sure how he reconciles his assumption that we can have a perfect society if only we change it a little with the fact that people are not 100% defined by their environment.
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming Charlie has had no part in manufacturing kids of his own, and therefore no frame of reference when it comes to the raising of chillens.

--Patrick

It seems so very arbitrary and lacking in reason and logic.
It seems very Hawthornian to me.

To be fair, I believe the question is one of nature AND nurture, with both having a bearing on the finished product. One can blame poor construction on the materials or on the architect, but in reality the end result is mainly the product of both those factors.

--Patrick

In this utopia, law enforcement would cease to be necessary, which would solve another of his great complaints.
I'm not so sure. Let's say that tomorrow, no one committed any crimes. Would people stop getting pulled over or arrested? I don't think so. Officers show their value through what they bring in, which is why at either the beginning or end of the month, at least up north, you'll see increased police cars on the highway, about three times more than usual for quota time.

Yes. I don't see the sticker as being "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped WOMAN in my truck bed because I advocate violence against WOMEN," I see it as "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped PERSON in my truck bed and it's a picture of a WOMAN because that makes me a bigger troll."

--Patrick

Yes. I don't see the sticker as being "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped WOMAN in my truck bed because I advocate violence against WOMEN," I see it as "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped PERSON in my truck bed and it's a picture of a WOMAN because that makes me a bigger troll."

--Patrick
The entire concept regardless of gender is just horrible.

GasBandit

Staff member
Let me ask you guys a question.. on halloween, when somebody hangs a dummy from a tree dressed in real clothes, do you have the same reaction?

Let me ask you guys a question.. on halloween, when somebody hangs a dummy from a tree dressed in real clothes, do you have the same reaction?
Nope, not even a fair comparison. Though there are some people every year who are offended by this. Y'know, the hanging man/KKK connection.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nope, not even a fair comparison. Though there are some people every year who are offended by this. Y'know, the hanging man/KKK connection.
I think people are overreacting, including the person who wrote the linked article, who describes the image as a woman "beaten and tied." I didn't see any obvious signs of beating, I think that's just the author's colorful storytelling.

The truck decal might have been in poor taste, but it's hardly a ghastly crime against humanity worth, to borrow a phrase from someone else around here whose name escapes me, all this pearl-clutching.

It was still ridiculously stupid on the part of the person who owns the business. His cavalier attitude about the whole thing also kind of shows that he just doesn't give a flip.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've never seen a photo-realistic dummy hanging from a tree on Halloween. If I did, it probably would make me sick to my stomach, but I'm squeamish like that. However, I wouldn't comment on it, unless the person decided that they were just going to keep it up as decoration all year round, because they think that hanging is a joke.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, that doesn't even remotely strike me as in the same vein as a halloween decoration, but I'm finding it hard to verbalize why. A Halloween decoration doesn't carry the same implied message. A Halloween decoration is supposed to be scary precisely because you understand that what it represents is bad. Even when used for humor, it's always obvious that what it represents is a bad thing, and as a joke, it's a form of whistling in the dark. The decal implies neither though--only that it's HILARIOUS to have a woman tied up in the back of your truck.

Well, the larger point that people are kind of dancing around is that on Halloween it's expected to see scary/disturbing/gross imagery as part of the sociological construct built around the holiday. That makes the image brought up by Gas completely incomparable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, that doesn't even remotely strike me as in the same vein as a halloween decoration, but I'm finding it hard to verbalize why. A Halloween decoration doesn't carry the same implied message. A Halloween decoration is supposed to be scary precisely because you understand that what it represents is bad. Even when used for humor, it's always obvious that what it represents is a bad thing, and as a joke, it's a form of whistling in the dark. The decal implies neither though--only that it's HILARIOUS to have a woman tied up in the back of your truck.
Not at all - it's not supposed to be hilarious, it's supposed to be jarring. The point of the decal was to get the quality/realism of the decal noticed, thus drum up custom for the decal shop. No matter how photorealistic it is, however, any lateral movement would reveal it for the sham it was and undo the illusion.

How about this one -

The child drawn on the street is supposed to be jarring to drivers who aren't paying enough attention. Naturally, the illusion breaks down very quickly if you're not in the sweet spot cone of perception, but still, how many people would slam on their brakes? How many rear-end collisions might have occurred because of this? Should the City of Vancouver have been reprimanded for making this happen? The thought of running over a child is just as heartrending.

fade

Staff member
But that doesn't strike me at all the same either. That was with the intent to be disturbing like Halloween decorations. I don't get that impression at all from the decal people.

GasBandit

Staff member
But that doesn't strike me at all the same either. That was with the intent to be disturbing like Halloween decorations. I don't get that impression at all from the decal people.
And, again, you're getting your impression of the decal people from a hit piece on them.

While funny, I think that Charlie is more an optimist than I.

He seems to believe that there exists a societal structure and culture that if we adopted it, people would choose, of their own free will and choice, not to rape. We wouldn't necessarily have to convince, teach, train, or punish crimes because he is of the opinion that human nature doesn't support criminal activities, and that it is only because humans are allowed to grow up in our current (bad) society that they become exposed to and trained to be rapists and perform other criminal activities.

So, in Charlie's mind, the money would go toward creating/adopting that ideal for our society, and the problems will melt away as humanity enters its next stage of peace and happiness. It wouldn't go to anti-rape programs, or anti-rape tools, etc.

In this utopia, law enforcement would cease to be necessary, which would solve another of his great complaints. And the government would lose power - it would still have a role to play, but without significant power there'd be no corruption.

This requires one to believe that human babies are blank slates, and that every desire or urge is molded by their environment, though, which few people truly accept, so I'm not sure how he reconciles his assumption that we can have a perfect society if only we change it a little with the fact that people are not 100% defined by their environment.

It is one of the great Halforums mysteries.

It's about 50/50:: genes/environment. AND I'm a huge fan of epigenetics, where your environment affects your genes and subsequently passes those affected genes to your offspring! People aren't closed systems, and their environment has a huge impact on their character; however, no matter how ideal or Utopian a society is, there will always be bad eggs. Charlie be living in a dream world.

figmentPez

Staff member
How dare people have tools to keep themselves safe.
I know right? I mean, fuck locksmiths and companies like Schlage. They just perpetuate the idea that it's property owners responsibility to prevent theft, and charge people for it! Seriously, any time that you sell security products, you're just sending the message that it's okay to make sure that thieves steal from someone else.