[Gaming] Elder Scrolls 5 - Dawnguard is HERE!

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah screw it--If I'm doing Enchantment, it'll be after I finish everything else. It feels off for my character. Also I don't like getting smacked in the face when I cast Soup Trap. Well, maybe if I get lucky to find a weapon with soul trap, I'll get back on the train. Honestly though, with smithing and a good deal of perks in my combat skills, I havent really felt like I've needed enchantments...yet. I can foresee needing enchantments later down the line for improving artifact weapons (or so I've read).
Lol... "Soup trap" sounds like it would be an AWESOME spell.

Honestly, you don't need much enchant to do a good Soul Trap weapon. You only -need- 1 second of duration on the weapon since the effect applies before you kill whatever your hitting, so you don't need a crazy duration on the effect. Just find a weapon with the effect, disenchant it, and then put it on something with a filled Greater or Grand soul gem so you don't need to recharge very often.

I'm still 15-20 points from maxing enchant, which is like 30-40 enchants. I'll let you guys know if putting a second effect on a weapon has diminshing returns.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly, you don't need much enchant to do a good Soul Trap weapon. You only -need- 1 second of duration on the weapon since the effect applies before you kill whatever your hitting, so you don't need a crazy duration on the effect. Just find a weapon with the effect, disenchant it, and then put it on something with a filled Greater or Grand soul gem so you don't need to recharge very often.

I'm still 15-20 points from maxing enchant, which is like 30-40 enchants. I'll let you guys know if putting a second effect on a weapon has diminshing returns.
Well, since you're all mister enchanter expert thing... Is it the soul gem, or my enchanting skill, that determines the strength of an enchantment? Cause I have this one that SAYS it's 13% more blocking, until I try to apply it to something, then when I pick a lesser soul gem (which is the biggest my beefy tank self has at the moment), it drops to 2%. Do I need to skill up, or do I need a bigger gem?

Well, since you're all mister enchanter expert thing... Is it the soul gem, or my enchanting skill, that determines the strength of an enchantment? Cause I have this one that SAYS it's 13% more blocking, until I try to apply it to something, then when I pick a lesser soul gem (which is the biggest my beefy tank self has at the moment), it drops to 2%. Do I need to skill up, or do I need a bigger gem?
Skill determines the max you can enchant, but the strength of the soul determines how much you can actually put in. You need a Grand soul for max effect, whether it comes from a Grand Soul gem or a Black Soul gem (black ones let you trap humanoid souls).

Note this only applies to Enhancing effects. Damage/Status effects are only effected by you skill, with the soul gem affecting how much charge you have for it's effect. Bigger souls equal more uses of an effect between recharging.

GasBandit

Staff member
Skill determines the max you can enchant, but the strength of the soul determines how much you can actually put in. You need a Grand soul for max effect, whether it comes from a Grand Soul gem or a Black Soul gem (black ones let you trap humanoid souls).
What's the trick to filling a soul gem? Does it matter what animal I kill? IE, do I have to kill a mammoth to fill a grand, or would a wolf suffice?

What's the trick to filling a soul gem? Does it matter what animal I kill? IE, do I have to kill a mammoth to fill a grand, or would a wolf suffice?
Yes, different creatures have different soul sizes. Humanoids (Any playable race) are usually always Grand souls, but the difficulty of the creature generally determines the strength of the soul. So a Skeever would only be petty, but a Daedra Curl would be more like a Grand. So if you need better souls, you need to hunt stronger prey. Don't try to soul trap dragons, it doesn't work (unless it does with Azura's Star).

It should also be noted that not all souls of the same level carry the same charge. You'll know if they do if the gems stack. Gems of the same level, filled, that don't stack have different amount of charge. You'll be able to tell least from greatest on the enchanting menu, as the strongest souls are always at the top and weakest are always at the bottom.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, different creatures have different soul sizes. Humanoids (Any playable race) are usually always Grand souls, but the difficulty of the creature generally determines the strength of the soul. So a Skeever would only be petty, but a Daedra Curl would be more like a Grand. So if you need better souls, you need to hunt stronger prey. Don't try to soul trap dragons, it doesn't work (unless it does with Azura's Star).

It should also be noted that not all souls of the same level carry the same charge. You'll know if they do if the gems stack. Gems of the same level, filled, that don't stack have different amount of charge. You'll be able to tell least from greatest on the enchanting menu, as the strongest souls are always at the top and weakest are always at the bottom.
Can you fill a Grand soul gem with multiple lesser souls?

Can you fill a Grand soul gem with multiple lesser souls?
No, it's a one time deal. One soul a gem. That's sort of the disadvantage of using a soul trap weapon as your primary weapon: It'll fill the most appropriate gems first, but it'll tier up if a lesser size isn't availible. This means it's entirely possible to accidentally fill your Grand/Black gems with petty souls.

The one exception to the one time deal is Azura's Star. It's a reusable soul gem, but it still gets filled all at once.

Necronic

Staff member
So if the best that can go into a black soul gem is a grand soul, what the heck is the point of the black soul gems?

Aside from capturing a child's soul, which I plan to do because I want to play around with a kid's soul-I'M CHRIS HANSEN AND YOU'RE COMING WITH ME.

Simple: You can't trap human souls in a Grand Soul gem. You CAN, however, trap them in a Black soul gem and the size is guaranteed to be large. So using a Black Soul gem is an easy way to get a Grand Soul without fighting VERY dangerous opponents.

I have generously donated a fully intact dragon skeleton to be put on display in the gardens at the College of Winterhold.

Fucking mage college, every second time I left the hall of elements there was a new dragon attacking. I think the mages have a dozen or so skeletons to work with at this point.

They need to make it so Dragons won't attack the College until AFTER you become a member. I had to take pot shots at that dragon to get it to attack me because it was bugging out the woman who gives you access.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Trying to stay out of the thread for fear of (more) spoilers, but just wanted to say a few things:

1) Firstly, the game spoils itself. I found a troll skull in a cave and was like "Shit, that thing is huge. I sure can't wait to eventually see what a troll actually looks like." Then later I get a splash screen with a troll on it and telling me where to find it. :(

2) I killed some bandits and took their horse, but it wandered back to where their corpses were. Is there a way to win it over? Like, give it a carrot or something?

3) I work night shift at a hotel, which is understandably a slow job, and we are allowed to do whatever we want in the free time. So I am actually getting paid to play Skyrim. Yeet.

My friend was level 37 and the game got corrupted. Like all Bethesda games, save often, save in more than one slot.

Well yeah, that goes without saying. At least they were nice enough to give us 3 auto saves in case one gets corrupted.

I'm 9 points and 2 levels from maxing out Enchanting. Can't wait because...

I fought Alduin for the first time. Even at 300 health, his fire breath was enough to one hit kill me. Trying to beat him without using my potions so I'm gonna wait till I can add fire resists to all my armor on top of the Archery and Fortify Carry Weight enchants.

Also, I'd like to add my favorite moment of the game so far is...

Finding the dead body of Sindarin (from Oblivion) in the Blackreach. Yeah, fuck you and your Nirnroots buddy. I'm gonna get these red Nirnroots just so I can burn them and wipe the fucking species from all of Tamriel. All to spite you.

Right now up to level 27. I would be higher, but I sometimes get distracted with the little things and end up not leveling. Like for instance getting a house in Riften meant spending a lot of time organizing it. I am weird like that. Right now have a huge stockpile of items in both my houses, I need to clean them out over a few days.

Also hit a familiar set of quests.

Had a quest outside one of the cities to find a dog, found out it was Barbas! He took me to the shrine of Clavicus Vile and had the familiar quest to gain a powerful weapon which he would like to trade. Ended up finishing it pretty quick and gained the Masque of Clavicus Vile once again, it's pretty nice for usage in Skyrim to boost income with speechcraft and sell price bonuses. He also gives you a option to keep the weapon but it was not all that great and part of the requirement was to kill Barbas. I was not killing Barbas!

One last little hint. When you speak with Clavicus Vile and he gives you the quest to get the weapon, Barbas becomes an extra follower. He will fight for you when enemies are close, usually makes them attack him, and is INVULNERABLE verses NPCs, not even getting knocked down. If one simply ignores getting the weapon and just let him follow them around, he would be a powerful ally (overpowered) for an archer.

Alright... finally maxed Enchant and took double enchant perk. It does not lower effectiveness, meaning it's probably the best crafting perk, hands down. Finally broke the 300% Bow damage barrier as well... and I still have room for improvement, as I still have 4 ranks in the basic "Makes your Enchant better" perk.

It really seems like the game breaks right in half if you do crafting.

Alright... finally maxed Enchant and took double enchant perk. It does not lower effectiveness, meaning it's probably the best crafting perk, hands down. Finally broke the 300% Bow damage barrier as well... and I still have room for improvement, as I still have 4 ranks in the basic "Makes your Enchant better" perk.

It really seems like the game breaks right in half if you do crafting.
So you're an enchanting archer? That's AWESOME. I want this so bad.

So you're an enchanting archer? That's AWESOME. I want this so bad.
Yeah, Archery is kinda broken right now, as you can get Bow Damage bonuses on everything except your boots, chestpiece, arrows, and the bow itself. I'm doing around 250 damage an arrow, meaning even the hardiest of foes go down to 4-5 shots. Dragons take like 7-8. Less if I can get a sneak attack in and I don't even have the enhanced multiplier for backstab arrows yet.

I think my highest possible damage is something like 1125, but that's only if I get a critical WHILE sneak attacking with all the related perks for both bows and sneak attacks. That's likely enough to one-shot anything short of a dragon. So yes... Bethesda kinda messed up by making Bow Damage + so widely available.

Backstab arrows make me smile. Nothing better than CRITICAL STRIKE SNEAK ATTACK Damage 3X. And the poor target being flung across map with an arrow sticking out the back of their head.

Backstab arrows make me smile. Nothing better than CRITICAL STRIKE SNEAK ATTACK Damage 3X. And the poor target being flung across map with an arrow sticking out the back of their head.
I had my first perfect headshot last night, sneak attack right into a guys face with an elven arrow, hit him right between the eyes. I had to go marvel at the corpse after it was done, just because it was so awesome.

I really hope they do something to make Magic and Melee more viable in the DLC... because right now, I can't think of any reason I'd EVER want to use anything other than bows. Magic is too weak and suffers from ammunition problems. Melee isn't as weak but you have to expose yourself to danger to use it.
Archery lets me avoid both of those because...

- I can avoid getting hit thanks to range and the fact that I kill things LONG before they ever get to me.
- Arrows are EVERYWHERE because the devs wanted the NPCs to be able to fight dragons. I literally have over two thousand arrows on my person, all from various bandits and Forsworn groups.

Necronic

Staff member
Magic is definitely not weak. The ability to stun lock any single opponent indefinitely is frankly overpowered. Casting an attronach of the appropriate element and then AOEing everything around him is devastating.

The only two complaints I have about magic is that the damage for the higher end spells isn't high enough, frankly, and there are no damage modifiers so my magic damage is limited. The second major complaint is that there aren't enough spells in game.

It's also frustrating that the main string of perks for destruction/alteration magic (50% cast cost reduction for that level) aren't really advantages, they're flat out required to use the magic.