[Gaming] Elder Scrolls 5 - Dawnguard is HERE!

Right now I am at level 22 and I am not noticing an issue yet. I can still one-shot a lot of people in the dungeons with my sneak bow attack, and any that survive I either shoot again or smack with a power strike from my two-hander knowing them down so myself and my follower can murder them.

So I finally got my character hitched. Adding a tag, mostly because I feel really bad for earlier and realize this would spoil some of what happens when you marry the person I chose.

So I found out Lydia is bugged and can't be married yet. Bummer as I was leaning on marrying her, but figured I could just do that next game. So I decided on Aela the Huntress. I like that Bethesda actually took the time to make sure all the female characters have voice files unique for when you marry them, so that now Aela calls me her love whenever I get close, plus the fact that most of the dialogue has a more loving tone rather then the same old disconnected lines.

I ended up loading an old save and attempted to "marry" a few NPCs just to see how unique each one is when married (There are 64 possible partners), and all of them are surprisingly unique. Keeping much of the personality they had when you first meet them. I even asked this other Companion woman that always was an arrogant ass to me, and she still is an arrogant ass even as a wife.

Aela was fun because she was always the wild woman, when I put on my amulet after becoming Harbinger, she was rather straightforward and didn't really talk about liking me. I just asked if she liked me and she said she would be lying if she said no, then asked me if I liked her, and the rest just happened. After the ceremony she also seemed confused, saying marriage was nothing like she expected, but that she was very happy.

Strangely, Aela also seems to be selling stuff on the side now. I heard you only really got that from the merchant based wives, and considering Aela is a hunter/werewolf I didn't expect her to be the merchant type, but I guess she picked up a side hobby as she gives me a cut of money now and then and even sells me some gear like a merchant. She didn't have these options till I married her.

I am hoping sometime this week someone makes a mod that will allow me to take more followers, similiar to what someone did with New Vegas. I like Lydia as my "protector" but want Aela with me on the road too. For now Lydia is going to defend my house while Aela and I go off adventuring, as she is now a full blown follower with all the same options Lydia had, like carrying my stuff. Once the mod comes out for me to take both, I plan to have both like I did on the last Companions quest.

One last thing of note for those interested in getting your character married. If whoever you marry owns a house, you also get that house, and can even offer to live there with them. Aela sadly has no house, but she still offers for you to live with her in her room at the Companion's HQ. Otherwise you can make them live in any of the other houses you own.

That spoiler just SCREAMS "forever alone!" heh...
"shrug" I like touches of roleplay in games like this, so I enjoy when they take time for all aspects, not just the "SWORD SMASH" part, it's one of my favorite things about Bioware games too. I have been happily with my real life love for over 10 years now, so not like I have much to prove. ;)

One last thing I noticed about the game I find kind of odd.

Were are all the male Housecarls? I was looking over a guide and all the Housecarls you can gain are females. Lydia, Iona, and Jordis. So far the only male housecarl I can remember even seeing was in Riften, guarding the Jarl there, who funny enough is a female Jarl. I am pretty sure the Housecarls don't change based on the gender you choose, since I see people with female characters talking about Lydia.

My idea of game marriage.

I think I'll try marrying one of the merchants since Aela will be your companion in dungeons, Lydia will always hang out in your house if you need a tank. So I was planning on that small money stream of having a merchant in the family.

With the added bonus of having 2 female fighters to go adventuring with.

Right now I am at level 22 and I am not noticing an issue yet. I can still one-shot a lot of people in the dungeons with my sneak bow attack, and any that survive I either shoot again or smack with a power strike from my two-hander knowing them down so myself and my follower can murder them.

So I finally got my character hitched. Adding a tag, mostly because I feel really bad for earlier and realize this would spoil some of what happens when you marry the person I chose.

So I found out Lydia is bugged and can't be married yet. Bummer as I was leaning on marrying her, but figured I could just do that next game. So I decided on Aela the Huntress. I like that Bethesda actually took the time to make sure all the female characters have voice files unique for when you marry them, so that now Aela calls me her love whenever I get close, plus the fact that most of the dialogue has a more loving tone rather then the same old disconnected lines.

I ended up loading an old save and attempted to "marry" a few NPCs just to see how unique each one is when married (There are 64 possible partners), and all of them are surprisingly unique. Keeping much of the personality they had when you first meet them. I even asked this other Companion woman that always was an arrogant ass to me, and she still is an arrogant ass even as a wife.

Aela was fun because she was always the wild woman, when I put on my amulet after becoming Harbinger, she was rather straightforward and didn't really talk about liking me. I just asked if she liked me and she said she would be lying if she said no, then asked me if I liked her, and the rest just happened. After the ceremony she also seemed confused, saying marriage was nothing like she expected, but that she was very happy.

Strangely, Aela also seems to be selling stuff on the side now. I heard you only really got that from the merchant based wives, and considering Aela is a hunter/werewolf I didn't expect her to be the merchant type, but I guess she picked up a side hobby as she gives me a cut of money now and then and even sells me some gear like a merchant. She didn't have these options till I married her.

I am hoping sometime this week someone makes a mod that will allow me to take more followers, similiar to what someone did with New Vegas. I like Lydia as my "protector" but want Aela with me on the road too. For now Lydia is going to defend my house while Aela and I go off adventuring, as she is now a full blown follower with all the same options Lydia had, like carrying my stuff. Once the mod comes out for me to take both, I plan to have both like I did on the last Companions quest.

One last thing of note for those interested in getting your character married. If whoever you marry owns a house, you also get that house, and can even offer to live there with them. Aela sadly has no house, but she still offers for you to live with her in her room at the Companion's HQ. Otherwise you can make them live in any of the other houses you own.
I don't think it's much an issue for melee or archers as it is for magic users. You can enchant plus percentage to damage enchants on your stuff which doesn't exist for spells. Once you learn a spell and get the perks for plus percentage that's it, it can never get better. Considering Todd Howard has talked about the the game lasting usually to around level 50 or so with a theoretical top end of 70-something and my spells are already feather touches to enemies at 35 (albeit at expert difficulty, from what I hear master is just sheer hell). I wouldn't even have a problem with the spells being feather touches if they weren't at the same time complete magicka gulpers. Only being able to cast 4 master spells (or 1.5 dual master spells) per full magicka bar is fucking crazy when an enemy can take a dozen of them.

Difficulty shouldn't mean my main source of offense is nullified by insane hit points.

GasBandit

Staff member
My idea of game marriage.

I think I'll try marrying one of the merchants since Aela will be your companion in dungeons, Lydia will always hang out in your house if you need a tank. So I was planning on that small money stream of having a merchant in the family.

With the added bonus of having 2 female fighters to go adventuring with.
Yeah, really, after all,
when it comes to Lydia, why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

If I was going to go for a merchant wife, I would take...

Ysolda, whoever voice acts her just sounds so cute. If not her I would probably go with Grelka in Riften, since I like her attitude. In the end Aela seemed to take up some shopkeeping on the side so it's a win/win for me, leave her home to make money, or take her with me for some beat downs.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think it's funny how...

life is so nasty, brutish and short in Skyrim that all it takes to secure most marriages is a "ya wanna?" or maybe a very short, simple quest. After all, when you're likely to be dead by 30, "til death do you part" isn't actually all that long.

I remember the romance plots in Neverwinter Nights took the entire game to complete, over the course of multiple side quests, and if you screwed up ONCE or said the wrong thing ONCE that was IT.

Bioware still has the best romance quests because you invest so much time into it. Nothing has yet to beat the Bastilla romance in KOTOR for me, not even the romances that appeared in later games Bioware has done, but I think that is because Bastilla was so integral to the plot of KOTOR while other games the females are more side characters (like Morrigan, Merril, Handmaiden, Ashley, etc).

On the flip side, I do like that the Bethesda removed a little bit of the bullshit. I don't really want secondary characters to have long winding quests to woo them, since Skyrim is not really a date simulator. Though I wouldn't have minded at least a small quest that involves doing something for them to gain favor.

Also INB4 inevitable polygamy mod.

Necronic

Staff member
I love the Game,but I am lvl 11 and still wearing Steel Armor.Im getting owned by the Troll on the way to the Greybeards.
I am really hoping for a anti-leveling mod.Or maybe I should focus only on Armor,Block and 1H Weapons and ignore Blacksmithng.
Focusing too much of your early levels on enchanting or blacksmithing is a really bad idea, as it will increase the difficulty of the game without you also getting an increase in your combat abilities.

I know this from trying to get to 100 enchanting and 90 smithing so I could make monstrous dragon bone armor sets. All that really ended up happening was that I made the game too hard to be played so I had to start over (19 levels in non-combat stuff is a really bad idea early on).

GasBandit

Staff member
Focusing too much of your early levels on enchanting or blacksmithing is a really bad idea, as it will increase the difficulty of the game without you also getting an increase in your combat abilities.

I know this from trying to get to 100 enchanting and 90 smithing so I could make monstrous dragon bone armor sets. All that really ended up happening was that I made the game too hard to be played so I had to start over (19 levels in non-combat stuff is a really bad idea early on).
One would think that would be easily identified as a design flaw when you can level up without combat... when actual combat's difficulty is decided by level but your ability to win that combat is dictated by skills you didn't improve to level up.

To be fair about Aela, she won't even consider marrying you until you've done a good portion of the Circle and Companion quests. I think the more useful the character is, the harder they are to wed. For instance, I suspect the Argonian who sells rings in Riften is an option... but his quest takes FOREVER. I've only had -1- Flawless Sapphire drop the entire game and getting Mammoth Tusk isn't exactly easy, even with a bow. But I know it would be worth it because he sells a high price good, so he likely brings in lots of cash.

As for leveling up... I've actually got most of my points in non-combat skills. Yes, my Archery is 85, but my smithing is 87, enchant is 60, Alchemy is 45, Speechcraft is 56, Lock picking is 65, and sneak is 60. Quite literally, virtually all of my improved skills are non-combat related. The only reason I can compete is because I made a set of Smithing boosting items to improve my armor and weapons to Legendary/Flawless quality, which basically doubles effectiveness.

So I think the REAL problem is that physical characters have TONS of ways to improve their damage and protection, but mages can only do it via spells... spells they can't make themselves anymore.

Hmm..Is going smithing without enchanting a kind of stupid thing to do? I havent really raised my enchanting at all, going for pure non-magical skills.

Necronic

Staff member
As for leveling up... I've actually got most of my points in non-combat skills. Yes, my Archery is 85, but my smithing is 87, enchant is 60, Alchemy is 45, Speechcraft is 56, Lock picking is 65, and sneak is 60. Quite literally, virtually all of my improved skills are non-combat related. The only reason I can compete is because I made a set of Smithing boosting items to improve my armor and weapons to Legendary/Flawless quality, which basically doubles effectiveness.
Stealth is most definitely a combat skill, especially when you have an archery rating of 85. But anyways, the other problem with smithing (and to a degree enchanting) is that if you smith something you need to be able to enchant it as well fot it to be worth it. So it requires even *more* points in non-combat stuff.

So I think the REAL problem is that physical characters have TONS of ways to improve their damage and protection, but mages can only do it via spells... spells they can't make themselves anymore.
True, although there's nothing really stopping mages from wearing light armor. They can enchant their armor to have the same bonuses they get on other stuff. For that matter I'm not sure there's anything that stops them from wearing heavy armor. The only reason I don't is because I have a very awesome robe that there is no way I could ever craft.

Also, mages can perpetually stun lock any enemy if they have dual casting perk. That + Chain lightning is pretty much game over for any fight.

To be fair, I can almost stun-lock people with my bow now with the Stagger perk. It's only going to become better once I get the Knockdown one at 100.

As for enchanting... yeah, you DO need it if your forging your own armor. But then again, I haven't forged armor since I got Advanced Armors at 60, as I got a full set of Ebony for becoming the Champion of Boethiah. I won't need to forge again until 90, when I get Daedric. Smithing is more important for improving quality than forging and you can improve the quality of anything you find anyway.

But honestly, enchanting is much more dependent on having soul gems than having a huge skill. I can already do +18% to Bow damage at 60 enchant. I have grand/black souls gems out the ying yang thanks to my Soul Trapping bow... and because Soul Trap is such a low intensity spell (and I have the Soul Siphon perk), I never have to recharge it. This means I can just enchant all the rings I make with the numerous petty and lesser soul gems I fill to increase my skill.

They really made it easy to increase your skill in Skyrim. Though I suspect the fact that I am using The Lovers Sign Stone to increase my skill gain by another 15% is why it's happening so fast.

My wife is trying to play, and is struggling to figure out where to go in the beginning. She's terrible at this kind of game, can only play Fallout because of VATS and is playing a mage for this.

Oh, this is gonna be some fun complaining to listen to.

Well I did want to forge my own armor---I guess enchanting is an acceptable break in my "non-magic skills" if I simply justify it for optimal crafting.

Just got up to Daedric crafting. For those who do smithing, you going to REALLY hate that tier... you need Daedra Hearts to craft it and stores only rarely carry them. This means your going to need to hunt down Daedra to get them. Good luck finding Churls and Daedra! Thankfully you only need Ebony to sharpen/reinforce the gear.

I can now do 166 damage a shot, thanks to my 268% damage increase my from newly enchanted gear. I could easily get that to 284% if I made a new amulet. Starting to think 300% isn't beyond my reach.

Might as well enjoy it while it lasts... I'm going light armor/dagger for my Dark Brotherhood run and I know I'm never going to have it this easy again.

And I'm at max Smithing. Doesn't look like there are weapons past Daedric, so my damage is peaked until I can increase my enchanting. Dragonbone armor looks like it's something out of Monster Hunter.

Here's a tip for anyone looking to raise Enchanting or Smithing: It doesn't matter WHAT your making, only that you make something. A dagger is just as good as full plate, so instead of wasting ingots and leather, just make daggers and leather bracers. You'll raise your skill very quickly and get access to the higher tiers of armors/weapons faster. The same goes for Enchanting: fill a bunch of petty souls and go to town on those daggers and bracers you made using only weak souls. I recommend absorb health and fortify regen skills to maximize your returns.

I noticed that myself about blacksmithing. It's why once I get a bunch of leather I just use it to make the cheapest leather item. Leather is a lot easier to get then ore since I can just go beating up bears, wolves, rams, and foxes for it. It always seems ore only appears once in a blue moon, so I have gotten most of my ingots from dungeons and save them for upgrades right now, since everytime I am about to make a item I find a whole set of it on some guy in a dungeon. A good example was me about to make Lydia some Steel Plate only for a Companion quest to end with a boss wearing a full set.

Really felt the sting last night of not having enough strength. After killing a dragon and getting a new shout word up near the Shrine of Azura, I stumbled on a broken down excavation camp. Ended up taking me down into a dwarf ruin that was huge, with so many parts of scrap metal. I had to drop so many items in the end because I simply couldn't handle carrying it all anymore. Thinking of going back to it sometime.

My "marriage" is working out well. Found out Aela does not actually need to be at home to run the "store", so I get a free 200g every day plus a stat boosting meal on the road right from my Follower. She is also much more ranged heavy then Lydia which works out as I am focusing more on my two-hander right now.

Also is it just me, or is lockpicking rather easy? I am pretty sure in Fallout you were not even able to attempt picking harder locks without the proper skill, but you can in Skyrim, so I find myself unlocking master locks without a single perk, just breaking one or two picks to find the "sweet spot"

Heh, I was buying 35 lockpicks at a time from that Khajit merchant that set up camp outside of Whiterun and was using master locks to skill up by breaking them intentionally.

I noticed that myself about blacksmithing. It's why once I get a bunch of leather I just use it to make the cheapest leather item. Leather is a lot easier to get then ore since I can just go beating up bears, wolves, rams, and foxes for it. It always seems ore only appears once in a blue moon, so I have gotten most of my ingots from dungeons and save them for upgrades right now, since everytime I am about to make a item I find a whole set of it on some guy in a dungeon. A good example was me about to make Lydia some Steel Plate only for a Companion quest to end with a boss wearing a full set.
See, this never happened to me. I'd grind out my Smithing so fast that I'd always be at least one tier above anything I fought. Now that I have Dragonbone, I know that I'll never need to worry about smithing again though.

Up to 286% bonus to bow damage (196 damage a shot, with max quality Daedric bow, adding another 20 for Glass arrows). I can get another 5 from making a helm, and another 4 for my gauntlets and ring whenever I hit 100 enchanting and boost my enchanting perks. So yeah... 301% is doable. Now I just need to see if adding a second enchantment lowers the potency of the first... if not, then I can add in resists or regens.

Also is it just me, or is lockpicking rather easy? I am pretty sure in Fallout you were not even able to attempt picking harder locks without the proper skill, but you can in Skyrim, so I find myself unlocking master locks without a single perk, just breaking one or two picks to find the "sweet spot"
Yeah, lock picking is easy and picks are easy to come by. I'm still glad they switched though.. picking locks in Oblivion was like pulling teeth unless you had the Skeleton Key.

It's the same as Fallout, not the same as Oblivion.

I found picking locks in Oblivion pretty easy, I just went by the sound.

It's the same system isn't it?
Skyrim uses the same system as Fallout 3 and New Vegas, where you angle the lockpick and then turn the lock. Oblivion used a more internalized lockpick system, where you actually had to push the tumblers (from 1 to 5 depending on difficulty) and lock them up. I hated the system in Oblivion, which is why I never used the skill. I use it all the time in Fallout and Skyrim.

GasBandit

Staff member

Added at: 15:43

Added at: 15:45

Hint for all the buckleys out there - holding down E when targeting your minion allows you to then quickly direct them elsewhere.
Also, I dunno about the rest of you, but when I bump up against Lydia, she goes "Wha??!" and backs up a few steps.
Added at: 15:45

Added at: 15:46

Few more screens:

Ralts,at I think lvl 23.

Ah screw it--If I'm doing Enchantment, it'll be after I finish everything else. It feels off for my character. Also I don't like getting smacked in the face when I cast Soup Trap. Well, maybe if I get lucky to find a weapon with soul trap, I'll get back on the train. Honestly though, with smithing and a good deal of perks in my combat skills, I havent really felt like I've needed enchantments...yet. I can foresee needing enchantments later down the line for improving artifact weapons (or so I've read).