EGGNOG!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Eggnog, but only drink it twice in a night around Xmas. If I want anything after 2, I'll drink the Bourbon and leave the nog in the carton.

K

Koko

Anyone have any extra 'nog tips or secrets? (In making it)
Extra spice, specific type of alcohol, etc.

I made some eggnog for Thanksgiving. Alton Browns recipe made cold with a bit of rum. Best eggnog I've ever had.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Anyone ever make french toast with egg nog? I'm thinking about it, but don't want to buy a carton of the stuff if it isn't worth it.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Trader Joe's egg nog is not as disgusting as other carton egg nogs I've tried. I might actually drink some before using it in my french toast.

T

The Pumes

I am an Eggnog newb, I once had it like two years ago and it was a crappy store brand so I had disdain for it like an angry god. Does anyone know any good eggnog brands? I can't find that Trader Joe's stuff anywhere here in Florida for some reason.

Side note: Not old enough to drink so unfortunately as fun as rum based eggnog sounds can't do it.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Really? I think most of their prices are comparable to larger local chains. They have better prices for milk and eggs than the larger grocery stores near me. I guess it depends on what you're buying.

I made a double batch of this recipe last night - with some modifications. It is heavenly. Thick, but not overly heavy like most store bought nog, good flavor that's a little easy-going, and not too sweet. The recipe is from Elise over at Simply Recipes.

Eggnog Recipe

INGREDIENTS

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 whole cloves - I used a scant teaspoon of ground cloves for my double batch, so that would be a scant half teaspoon for a single batch. Be careful, clove can easily overpower everything else.
Pinch of cinnamon - I substituted ground ginger for the cinnamon.
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tbsp each of bourbon and rum or brandy, or to taste (can omit for kid-friendly eggnog)
*4 egg whites (optional)

METHOD

1 In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until they become lighter in color (can whisk by hand or use a mixer for this). Slowly beat in the sugar, whisking until fluffy.

2 Combine the milk, cinnamon, and cloves in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat mixture on medium heat until it is steaming hot, but not boiling. - I added the nutmeg here, instead of waiting until the end. If you do this, don't add it at the end as well, you'll have way too much nutmeg.

3 Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

4 Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon. It helps to have a candy thermometer, but not necessary; if you have one, cook until the mixture reaches 160°F. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or it will curdle. (If the mixture does curdle you may be able to save it by running it through a blender.)

5 Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the cloves. Let cool for one hour. - If you used ground cloves, you don't need to strain the nog, but may want to to get any possible egg lumps out, in case you had problems with the egg tempering step or heated the combined mixture too high and curdled it.

6 Mix in vanilla extract, nutmeg, and bourbon/rum and brandy (feel free to omit for kid-friendly eggnog). Chill.

Optional: Beat egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Add a teaspoon of sugar and continue to beat until they reach stiff peaks. Gently fold into eggnog.
Makes 1 quart. Serves 4-6.

I also omitted the liquor, but like to add just a touch of sherry to my glass, the nuttiness of the sherry goes well with the nutmeg.

P

Philosopher B.

I am an Eggnog newb, I once had it like two years ago and it was a crappy store brand so I had disdain for it like an angry god. Does anyone know any good eggnog brands? I can't find that Trader Joe's stuff anywhere here in Florida for some reason.

Side note: Not old enough to drink so unfortunately as fun as rum based eggnog sounds can't do it.
I'm an eggnog virgin.

After two aborted attempts to get my 'nog on this year (pumpkin eggnog and vanilia eggnog):

I haz an eggnog.

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Thick enough to eat, using a straw so I don't gulp it all down in the first few slurps. No alcohol, of course (more for you!).

And in the time it took to get the picture and post this message, it's half empty. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.