Export thread

Eggnog 2017: Blog A Nog!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

My first nog of the season! Yum!

Gared

Gared

We bought our first thing of Silk Nog today, and someone on r/Baking helpfully posted a recipe for Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls, so I'm going to bake the hell out of those this week.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I object to the complete lack of links to our historical greatness in the 1st post! Also, I need some nog.

strawman

strawman

Previously, on Halforums:

EGGNOG!!!!! (filmfanatic, 4 Nov 2009)
EGGNOG 2: Ovo-lactic Boogaloo (Gusto, 24 Dec 2010)
Eggnogonomicon: Milk of Cthulhu (stienman, 7 Dec 2011)
It's Time! It's Time! IT'S EGGNOG TIME! (HCGLNS, 23 Nov 2012)
Ladies and gentleman, it's Eggnog Thread V! (HCGLNS, 1 Dec 2013)
Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Eggnog! (HCGLNS, 1 Dec 2014)
Eggnog thread 7: I'm like better take a selfie. (HCGLNS, 5 Dec 2015)
Splendiferous eggnog: nog nog noggin' on heaven's door (stienman, 5 Dec 2016)
Eggnog 2017: Blog A Nog! (Cheesy1, 5 Nov 2017)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, next year we'll have Egg Nog X. We've been here for far too long, and you guys have far too much to say about a not-so-special seasonal cocktail.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Man, next year we'll have Egg Nog X. We've been here for far too long, and you guys have far too much to say about a not-so-special seasonal cocktail.
INFIDEL!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I kinda wanna try making my own eggnog this year but I'm worried it'll lead to me drinking too much eggnog.

strawman

strawman

I kinda wanna try making my own eggnog this year but I'm worried it'll lead to me drinking too much eggnog.
I'm failing to see the downside.

strawman

strawman

Missed a perfect opportunity to follow the crowd and skip number 9, naming this year's thread "X".

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm failing to see the downside.
Well in order for it to not go bad in a day or two, it looks like i will have no choice but to add a good amount of liquor to it. If you happen to know other preservation techniques, you can feel free to keep them to yourself.

strawman

strawman

Well in order for it to not go bad in a day or two
Ah! I understand why I'm confused now - you see, eggnog has never survived a day in my presence.

And if the kids find out about it, well, it was a good 11 minutes while it lasted.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ah! I understand why I'm confused now - you see, eggnog has never survived a day in my presence.

And if the kids find out about it, well, it was a good 11 minutes while it lasted.
Now, let's work out how large a batch of eggnog is in the Stienman household.
So apparently the children need 11 minutes to drink it. This implies it's a reasonable quantity per child - one gulp wouldn't take that long. Let's say it's a 15cl cup. Now to calculate by the number of children....
...Wait, this can't be right. Stienman, how do you afford to buy three metric tons of eggnog per day?!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

2017-11-09 14.33.19.jpg

Mathias

Mathias

It's November you savages!!!! Save a little nog for Christmas!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

They'll make more.

And OMG! I want the Evan Williams Nog. That is what I put in mine anyway.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

They'll make more.

And OMG! I want the Evan Williams Nog. That is what I put in mine anyway.
It's damn tasty. I drank half a bottle after work yesterday and took a looooong nap in the easy chair ;)

drifter

drifter

I didn't know EW made an eggnog either. I'm enjoying some right now :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Working on my first nog buzz of the season...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Having my first eggnog of the season, when I heard a small voice behind me say; "Is that eggnog?" I said yes, but when I turned around no one was there and all I heard were the chimes of the fridge door opening.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Having my first eggnog of the season, when I heard a small voice behind me say; "Is that eggnog?" I said yes, but when I turned around no one was there and all I heard were the chimes of the fridge door opening.
Just be glad the cup didn't also mysteriously vanish from your hand.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Doughnut holes and nog!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Stupid Texas liquor laws.

Trader Joe's Eggnog Holiday Liqueur

Basically, grocery stores here can sell beer and wine, but anything with more alcohol has to be sold by a seperate store. I'm sure it's a little more complicated than that, but bottom line is that Trader Joe's in Texas doesn't carry some of the more interesting alcohol offerings, like this one.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm-a look for this when I go this weekend.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Just had my first. It's quite good.

drifter

drifter

A new challenger appears!

IMG_1441 (2).JPG

Comparing the two, the bourbon comes through more on the EW, whereas with the Trader Joe's the cinnamon is more overt. EW has a thicker, silkier mouthfeel while the TJ feels a bit more watered down.

strawman

strawman

Mmmm, first nog of the season for me.

/just right

Celt Z

Celt Z

My friends left a bottle of this at our house on Thanksgiving:

And since I can't stand drinking egg nog and Mr. Z doesn't drink alcohol, looks like I'm making Pez's recommended pound cake again.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And since I can't stand drinking egg nog
Now you just might want to turn around and walk outta this here thread before you get hurt.

Celt Z

Celt Z

:p

Just because I find better uses for it than drinking it straight. I come in here to find those gems.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

PatrThom

PatrThom

Eww.
Guys only want one thing, and all that.
Still, eww.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Having a nip of this particular nog right now. Not bad at all!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Having a nip of this particular nog right now. Not bad at all!
I got family coming in tomorrow. I bought a gallon of it, just in case. :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

(and by "just in case" I mean either "just in case everyone loves it and I need a ton of it" or "just in case having 9 people in the house drives me to the brink of insanity and I need the solace of a gallon of boozy nog to get through the week")

PatrThom

PatrThom

(and by "just in case" I mean either "just in case everyone loves it and I need a ton of it" or "just in case having 9 people in the house drives me to the brink of insanity and I need the solace of a gallon of boozy nog to get through the week")
I wondered if you were going to share.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

We tried a chocolate milk at Whole foods once and were blown away by how rich and chocolatey it was. It's apparently produced by a local dairy, https://calderdairy.com/ , and they still bottle in glass (and have a bottle deposit so it's all reused).

We found out they produce a small batch of eggnog each year, and while it's expensive (1 quart for twice as much as an inexpensive brand half gallon of eggnog) we got one. There's no bottle deposit, so I suppose it's partially a collectable.

At any rate, I'll let you know how it goes (we haven't opened it yet), but I'd be interested if this is common for other local dairy farms around the US.

Do you have access to specialty, local diary eggnog?

PatrThom

PatrThom

We tried a chocolate milk at Whole foods once and were blown away by how rich and chocolatey it was. It's apparently produced by a local dairy, https://calderdairy.com/ , and they still bottle in glass (and have a bottle deposit so it's all reused).

We found out they produce a small batch of eggnog each year, and while it's expensive (1 quart for twice as much as an inexpensive brand half gallon of eggnog) we got one. There's no bottle deposit, so I suppose it's partially a collectable.

At any rate, I'll let you know how it goes (we haven't opened it yet), but I'd be interested if this is common for other local dairy farms around the US.

Do you have access to specialty, local diary eggnog?
I used to work about a mile and a half from that dairy.
They have a lobby restaurant, I believe.
I never went. :( (they were really expensive)

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

NOG ALL THE THINGS!

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's pumpkin spice all over again.
Only creamier, and noggier.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

NOG ALL THE THINGS!
I have some of those hidden in my desk for when I have good sugar days ;)

strawman

strawman

I'd have to sit down and compare the Calder's nog with other nogs. It's obviously richer and creamier, so it's premium, but I'm not sure that it's 6 times the cost in actual value for me. If I get it again I'll have to admit I'm not getting it because it's worth it, but because I want to.

Delicious, and I'll enjoy another cup or two before it's gone I'm sure.

Celt Z

Celt Z

For the record, when I was done making my egg nog pound cake, I decided to take a swig of that Pennsy Dutch stuff since it didn't look as foul as most nogs tend to look, and the hell! That is a heavy-handed mixed drink pretending to be egg nog! Maybe it was because I skipped lunch today, but I did NOT expect that much booze.

This is one of those drinks where Celt Z ends up dancing on the table tops in a Santa hat, I tell you whut...

Gared

Gared

Picked up what will almost certainly be our last 1/2 gallon of the season today. Had to go back to Old Fashion Dairy Nog this year, the Silk stuff was just too thin for some reason.

strawman

strawman

Had more eggnog tonight. ‘twas Good.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Passed up a bin of "mystery" egg nog at the grocery store.
It will never compare to Kati's.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Mug-O-Nog in my hand right now!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My kids have been drinking eggnog with their breakfast. I have turned them! BAHAHAHAHA!!

PatrThom

PatrThom

My kids have been drinking eggnog with their breakfast. I have turned them! BAHAHAHAHA!!
Hope you laid in enough supply for the remainder of the year.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Hope you laid in enough supply for the remainder of the year.

--Patrick
I have a recipe, but it uses quite a bit of alcohol. :/ They'll have to wait just like the rest of us nog-drinkers.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

20171229_163541.jpg

Nog! D&D! @Eriol and @Dirona !

Gared

Gared

Woohoo! I was wrong about the previous carton being our last carton for this season. Our local market has tons left!

strawman

strawman

Finally went on sale.

Picked up two gallons (four half gallon cartons) for $4.

Gared

Gared

Finally went on sale.

Picked up two gallons (four half gallon cartons) for $4.
Hopefully ours will go on sale within the next few days and I can work on perfecting that cake for next year. I think I'll start by varying the rum selection. Last time I just used Kraken Spiced Rum, next time I'll use that in the cake and my Bacardi Silver for the glaze - it's a little over spiced this time.