[Gaming] Diablo 3 : Ser Farm-A-Lot

I tried it last night on the PS3 and I think I might prefer it. I liked the controls better and using the controller to move. The inventory is nice too. Just a flat number of spots rather than having to try playing inventory Tetris.

I'm a bit embarrassed that it took me some time to figure out that there were legendary items in my stash to use right away though.

I'm trying a barbarian. One thing that was super different to me was all the difficulty levels. At level one I had easy, medium or hard. And a whole bunch of locked ones.

Has anyone tried those?
I think I was level 10 or 12 before I checked my stash and saw those items so you're not alone. I believe forneach new character you make you get additional copies as well as I had made 2 before checking and had 2 sets when I finally did.

They still have the standard tiers of hell, nightmare, inferno etc. but I believe that the difficulty levels you're refering to are the consoles version of monster levels.

Preliminary info is trickling out about the next update.
It's sketchy at best, and can hardly be taken as gospel, but so far:
-Everyone loses all Life Steal abilities. Any current LS abilities are converted to LoH, X life per Y spent, or to some sort of temp absorb ability...except for WD "Leeching Beasts" rune, which gets doubled.
-Archon/WotB lose the "XXX extends duration by 1 second" effect.
-Life regens and heal abilities go up.
-New abilities which require you to stand still for X seconds (to increase resistances, damage, whatever).
-Skills which triggered on "if it hits Y targets" are now "if it hits Y enemies" (pots/benches/barrels no longer count towards this total).
-Many skills reference and get boosted by your globe/potion healing bonus.

Crusaders look very, very tanky, and many of their abilities enhance the group (like the D2 Paladin).

--Patrick

To start... but once they get to higher levels. ACID RAIN, BITCHES!!!!!
Yup. It's pets until Inferno, then acid and locusts after.
What I DON'T understand is why I can't acid rain over a wall, but I can toad rain over the wall. Apparently Acid Cloud is considered a missile attack, but toad rain isn't? Hmph.

--Patrick

I'm of two minds about it. I will no longer be able to dump that awesome item that I don't care about in exchange for millions upon millions of gold, but on the other hand, I will no longer have a reason to be sitting atop millions and millions of gold, either.

EDIT: Can't wait to see what Dorkly, PA, et al., make of this.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Hopefully this means they also rebalance the drops in the same way they did for console (assuming they haven't already, I haven't kept up with it)

Dave

Staff member
And they have now announced they are shutting down the Auction Houses for good on March 18. Good riddance, says I!

Dave

Staff member
You don't say...
Damn it! Why did this not show up in my new posts? That's what I get for just being able to pop in every once in a while. I miss this place but my work is keeping me out.

I guess I need to cut back on my WoW or game time and post more.

I deserve the derision.

I'm a bit torn about it. I like the basic idea with an auction hall. The gold one anyway. But they used it as an excuse to make a really shitty and boring loot system. So if this means they now can make playing more rewarding and bosses and elites not pointless annoyances, I'm all for it. I hope them come up with some new kind of trade system though.

I don't know, I think the problems with D3 ran much deeper than just the AH. What annoys me is that all the time they could have been spending fleshing out the last 2 acts, they spent implementing that damned auction house.

I was totally on board with the game through the first two acts, then all of a sudden, it was over.

I don't know, I think the problems with D3 ran much deeper than just the AH. What annoys me is that all the time they could have been spending fleshing out the last 2 acts, they spent implementing that damned auction house.

I was totally on board with the game through the first two acts, then all of a sudden, it was over.

Blizzard Employee A: "All right, it took awhile, but we've got the code all worked out for the Auction House, and both acts are fully fleshed out and ready for next month's release."

Blizzard Employee B: "Aren't there supposed to be four acts?"

Blizzard Employee A: ".... fuck."

To be fair, this was somewhat the same in D2. Actually I found the two to be pretty similar in design.

You had a nice spooky open act that was rather long for Act 1.

You had a second act in a desert that felt even more open for Act 2.

You had basically a long move up-right until you reach the building, then go down a dozen floors until boss for Act 3.

Then you had the mostly just "there" version of Hell/Heaven that was designed mostly as a wrap up, and felt pretty short. Heaven just felt even shorter for some reason. I think it was the lack of the whole crushing the stones quest and the fight with Diablo was more fun in a burning citadel of evil rather then a giant circle.

I have high hopes for Reaper of Souls if they can just grasp even a little of what they did with LoD for D2.

Oh, it goes further than that. Not only are the locales similar, but even the enemies. Shaman that raises other little guys? Check. Untouchable buzzards that have to land to attack you? Check. Really, my first playthrough had so many moments of, "Oh, just like in D2," that I physically facepalmed a couple times. Now, I don't blame them for going with what works, it's just that these moments of realization would pull me out of the plot, such as it was.

--Patrick

Oh, it goes further than that. Not only are the locales similar, but even the enemies. Shaman that raises other little guys? Check. Untouchable buzzards that have to land to attack you? Check. Really, my first playthrough had so many moments of, "Oh, just like in D2," that I physically facepalmed a couple times. Now, I don't blame them for going with what works, it's just that these moments of realization would pull me out of the plot, such as it was.

--Patrick
Much was made of Torchlight II aping Diablo II too closely, but I agree Diablo III was just as guilty. Which was sad.

Dave

Staff member
One thing I like is that Blizzard actually adds things to the game when they bring out the expansion. Like the D2 Lord of Destruction expansion made a good game into a great game and solidified it as a classic. This move by Blizz for D3 may actually do the same thing.

I am cautiously optimistic and fairly excited.

One thing I like is that Blizzard actually adds things to the game when they bring out the expansion. Like the D2 Lord of Destruction expansion made a good game into a great game and solidified it as a classic. This move by Blizz for D3 may actually do the same thing.

Agreed. I hope D3+ does as much for D3 as AoE2:AoC did for AoE2. Sooo much better.

--Patrick

Not sure if Barbarians are just that beastly or what, but I'm finding this play through way easier than on my Witch Doctor on the PC.
barbarians are the most efficient farmer by far.

blizzard's track record with (first) expansions is FANTASTIC! think about it: brood war, LoD (as you mentioned), TFT, and Burning Crusade are all classics; even HoTS is a huge improvement to SCII. personally im past "cautiously optimistic" on the hype-meter and well into "confident in some sort of improvement" territory.

anyway, is anyone here still playing/playing the HC ladder? i lost my 60(15) barb a couple months ago to dc, but all this expansion/ah removal talk has made me feel like getting back into it. i just started a new wizard, i'm level 10 right now but i will backtrack if anyone feels like joining in.

add me at PaladiN#1168 (even if you arent down for hc haha)

Last edited:
That's heart breaking. I would be super frustrated to lose a character like that to a d/c.[DOUBLEPOST=1379861054,1379860961][/DOUBLEPOST]WoTLK is my favorite expansion for sure. I can't decide which I like least between TBC and Cata. I like TBC's dungeons though. A lot.

I like that with the new patch we can get new 90s geared up quickly. Taking multiple 90s through MSV - ToT is painful. I like having a lot of alts. I just don't like gearing a lot of alts :)

It's hard to rate WoW xpacs since so much of it depends on the players. Personally, I had more fun in TBC. I loved Thrall's story line, and Halaa was a blast. MoP is close though. Much more accessible.

So, since returning to The Old Republic was such a huge failure (I uninstalled that shit) I decided to give Diablo 3 a new try. See where the game is at, and maybe get prepared for the xpac and 'loot 2.0'

If anyone wants to play, check the beginning of this thread for how to find me.