[Gaming] Diablo 3 : Ser Farm-A-Lot

Hey now, the RMAH attracts a particular kind of customer. It's just that sort of guy wasn't the sort of customer they wanted to attract. Oops.

--Patrick

On the bright side, they are fixing a lot of the problems the original had, and will be rolling that out in a free patch to the original game. A good example is a return to stat allocation using the new Paragon system.

Does it fix the terrible grind and get rid of the RMAH? No? Oh... well, guess the pc players are just screwed.
Count me in on this one. While I don't mind the concept of the RMAH necessarily, they need to fix the actual grind problems first, or I'm just going to hate playing it.

All I know is that this dlc better explain the travesty that was the ending of D3. If so, count me in, I enjoyed the single player campaign very much.

All I know is that this dlc better explain the travesty that was the ending of D3. If so, count me in, I enjoyed the single player campaign very much.
I wouldn't have minded the ending if it was not so abrupt and has some closure for Leah. It just sort of happened and you were left kind of going... "That's it?"

Really, I think there were a lot of missteps that could have been way better. Tyrael becoming a fallen angel? Good idea. Tyrael becoming some random human dude because of it? Boring, and takes away all the power and majesty that made him so awe inspiring in the first place. Leah becoming the new host of Diablo? Good idea. Causing the change and then dropping the character like a bad habit? Stupid. We never even got the Imperious fight that seemed so obvious, instead having yet another rehash of Izual. I will spare the Lesser Evils feeling a bit weak, mostly because they got more development then Mephisto did in D2.

I am pretty excited with Mathael becoming a sort of Grim Reaper character, though I wonder how this will work with Trag'Oul and the Necromancers. I hope to see them play a pretty large role in the expansion.

So my Mom bought an el-cheapo $350 tower from Staples last week to replace the 10 year old chugger she's been working with. I was over installing software & setting it up & just for sng's I decided to install D3 to see how it did. Not only did it install, but it played just fine. I opened up the video settings but didn't take notice too much but I seem to recall that the sliders weren't all maxxed out. So a $350 cheapie can play it fine, but my laptop couldn't.

hrmmmm.

So my Mom bought an el-cheapo $350 tower from Staples last week to replace the 10 year old chugger she's been working with. I was over installing software & setting it up & just for sng's I decided to install D3 to see how it did. Not only did it install, but it played just fine. I opened up the video settings but didn't take notice too much but I seem to recall that the sliders weren't all maxxed out. So a $350 cheapie can play it fine, but my laptop couldn't.

hrmmmm.
And yet, last month when I re-installed D3 on a whim and tried playing it, I had the same old jittery, rubber-bandy, laggy shit that I had during launch week; also with the video non-maxed.

And yet, last month when I re-installed D3 on a whim and tried playing it, I had the same old jittery, rubber-bandy, laggy shit that I had during launch week; also with the video non-maxed.
Weird, I played it from Act 1 to completion with zero jitter or rubber banding that I had when I installed it on release?

Diablo III is unusually sensitive to HDD speed and access time as regards rubberbanding, moreso than you would expect. Also, your graphics card needs to be new enough to not be a bottleneck. If you rule out the GPU, it's probably the fault of your HDD.

--Patrick

Diablo III is unusually sensitive to HDD speed and access time as regards rubberbanding, moreso than you would expect. Also, your graphics card needs to be new enough to not be a bottleneck. If you rule out the GPU, it's probably the fault of your HDD.

--Patrick
This might be it. I first tried playing it on a regular HDD. When I reinstalled it and finished it a few months ago, it was on my SSD.

I play it on a standard HDD on both my PC and laptop and it's just fine (I obviously had to scale down the graphics on my laptop due to the GPU and CPU limitations). Unless he's running some really old HDD with IDE cables or something, I don't think that's the issue.

--Patrick
This. As far as my laptop goes, the supported video list is fairly limited. I think my 3 year old laptop fell in the "Supported - low performance" category. My desktop that I've been playing WoW on for years was in the "Pshhh - put down the cracker jacks" category. I had to use a workaround edit on a config file to even install the game on my laptop, much less get it to run. I played through about 1.5 playthroughs with really laggy combat before losing interest.

I guess my point was that when D3 first came out I looked into upgrading my desktop, but decided against it because my mobo is AT, and there was only 1 or 2 video cards compatible with the mobo that were on the supported list, & that was in the low performance category. So I was looking at several hundred bucks to upgrade the video card, or several hundred to start from scratch with a new mobo. And now my mom's cheapie plays it just fine for 350 bucks :confused:. Ahhhh technology

Dave

Staff member
I started playing D3 again and it's not as bad as my memory made it. Still haven't and won't use the RMAH, but the game itself isn't bad, if not wildly repetitive.

FWIW, I haven't used the RMAH even once (except to gawk at what some people are charging for items), and I still manage to have an entertaining time.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I have no idea how someone could feel the RMAH could affect them in anyway if they don't use it?
People who can pay real money to get ahead of everyone else on the ladder completely makes the ladder inaccessible to those of us who are not riddled with excess cash. It unbalances the game and segments between the haves & have nots.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have no idea how someone could feel the RMAH could affect them in anyway if they don't use it?
I think the worry was that the economy would work like the WoW economy, where if you weren't using the auction house you were depriving yourself of gear you didn't get the opportunity to get yourself that the game assumes you'll have going forward, thus making progression more difficult.

But IONO, I never got the game.

figmentPez

Staff member
People who can pay real money to get ahead of everyone else on the ladder completely makes the ladder inaccessible to those of us who are not riddled with excess cash. It unbalances the game and segments between the haves & have nots.
Doesn't spare time and willingness to grind do the same thing for an in-game currency auction house? Is there any way to have a game with an auction house not divide between those who invest heavily in the game, in time or money, and those who can't?

Dave

Staff member
Doesn't spare time and willingness to grind do the same thing for an in-game currency auction house? Is there any way to have a game with an auction house not divide between those who invest heavily in the game, in time or money, and those who can't?
No. Grinding and spare time can only get you so far, while the ability to outright purchase end-game or powerful items is unbalancing. In D3 especially where drops are largely random, it's really, really difficult to get the specific items you need. In WoW the items are mostly tied to a foe - kill X have chance to get Y item. Run X enough and you'll get it. In D3 that certainty is not there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Remember, WoW also had a sizable gold farmer/dealer black market that let you buy in-game currency for real-world cash.

figmentPez

Staff member
No. Grinding and spare time can only get you so far, while the ability to outright purchase end-game or powerful items is unbalancing. In D3 especially where drops are largely random, it's really, really difficult to get the specific items you need. In WoW the items are mostly tied to a foe - kill X have chance to get Y item. Run X enough and you'll get it. In D3 that certainty is not there.
I think you misunderstood my point. If there were no RMAH, and the only auction house were with in-game currency, then all those high end items would get sold to the people who had the most gold from grinding, would they not? I realize that you can't just grind for what you need in D3 as it is, but if the RMAH were removed, then wouldn't it just shift the purchasing power from those with spare cash to those with spare time? Someone who plays on the weekends would still be out compared to someone who grinds 4 hours every day.

I'd bet good money that the top tier players are those who sell the items in the AH as opposed to those who buy the items in the AH.

Um, buying high end gear gives you the advantage over what? Ladder? Come again? I thought it was a game where you play to dungeon grind for new gear, the end? Isn't purchasing newer items just ending the game sooner for you? I don't see what constitutes -advantage- when there's no competition.

The only place where that would remotely be an issue is in PVP. But PVE? Cmon there's zero impact on your personal gameplay if someonelse is buying the best gear from RMAH.

if the RMAH were removed, then wouldn't it just shift the purchasing power from those with spare cash to those with spare time?
Yes, and that's sort of a problem, also.
The absolute best items never go to the in-game currency auction house, because when a set of Lacunis with 6.0% crit chance and a really good stat roll drops, they don't get listed on the gold AH, they go straight to the RMAH. Likewise, even if someone grinds for 8hrs a day and amasses a fortune of several billion gold, they're still not going to be able to buy a ring with high average damage, attack speed, crit chance, and crit damage, because that will never be listed on the gold AH...and even if it is, someone else will immediately buy it and relist it over on the RMAH. The temptation is too great. The maximum list price for an item on the GAH is 2 billion gold. The maximum list price for an item on the RMAH is $250.00. At current prices (where $1.40 buys you 50mil gold), 2 billion gold = $56.00, so there is almost a 5x gain in profit to be had on top-shelf items by going with the RMAH instead. This means that in order to obtain those elite-class best-in-slot items, you either end up having to invest actual money, or else you must grind long enough for the random number generator to finally be kind to you.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
I dunno. I never saw too mch problem with the RMAH. If they didn't have it then the game would have been flooded with black market gold and the items would have been obscenely overpriced anyways.

End of the day the only way you get one of those items is by spending real money or getting a drop. Maybe if they only allowed RMAH on gold, that way all items would at least be in player currency.

I think the real mistake they made was that the game was actually HARDER to play co-op, and the item affixes were generally pretty boring. After playing POE its hard not to see how vanilla/boring D3 is. But lets be fair, this is Blizzard. They have been taught for years that their customers don't like being challenged.

Other than that I made it through Act 3 Inferno before the Inferno rebalance (it used to be ridiculously hard), without using RMAH. Also, do people actually give a damn about ladders for single player? I only ever played against myself.

I never used the RMAH but I do find it strange. If someone wants to pay real money for something...that's their call.

I really like gold auction house though. My Witch Doctor got a ton of amazing drops, just nothing she could use so it was a relief to be able to buy and sell.

I haven't played in a while. Have they done anything about the crazy repair bills?

The problem with the RMAH is that the game drops were balanced around the thought that you could sell the gear you don't need to buy the gear you do. In a game where the fun is all about finding new gear, that fun dissipates when you hit the wall towards the end where the grind to get gear becomes overwhelming, and the gear you do get is mostly worthless to you, requiring you to become a pawn broker in trying to trade it out. It's not as satisfying to buy your gear as it is to find it in the heat of battle.