[Gaming] Diablo 3 : Ser Farm-A-Lot

Sounds interesting. I just got to Act 4 NM so kinda looking forward to it myself. I know I've had to get a lot more strategic when it comes to taknig down elite packs over the course of Nightmare.
I feel the game changes significantly between the two. Normal and Nightmare end up feeling very run and gun where Hell I can't take two steps without planning my next action - and the skills you choose change a lot situationally.

S

SeraRelm

I've an observation.

Star Wars the Old Republic: Lots of bitching because of a lack of end game content.
Diablo 3: Tons of people love it but play the exact same story over and over again.

Star Wars the Old Republic: Lots of bitching because of so few locations (relative to, say, WoW)
Diablo 3: Tons of people love it, but play through the exact same tile sets over and over again.

Star Wars the Old Republic: Lots of bitching because of so few classes to play.
Diablo 3: Tons of people love it, but there are only 5 classes to play.

Yeah, ok. Not a statement, btw. Just an observation.

Honestly, the big difference that I see is that D3 is actually fun to play. Everything that was enjoyable about TOR was completely in spite of its bog-standard MMO gameplay and mechanics.

Also Inferno is a hell of a lot harder than any of the raid content in TOR, so there's that too.

S

SeraRelm

I wasn't saying it wasn't lacking in content for end game, just pointing out that Diablo has literally no new content once you beat it once. All it does is ramp difficulty for the same place. If you just started stripping off gear in any end game dungeon and tried doing it, it would be the exact same thing. Higher difficulty with the sam-... my god...

I'm gonna call it DiabWoW now. :awesome:

Edit: (game play can only keep me for so long, and I hate teaming with complete strangers regularly.)

If you take off your gear in an MMO, you're still playing with the base mechanics of the game.

Also the higher difficulties add in a lot of challenges and gameplay decisions that just aren't there on the easier settings. It's fun - not perfectly balanced yet, and things are definitely overdone in some ways, but fun. And I have yet to play with a single person I don't know and like.

I wasn't saying it wasn't lacking in content for end game, just pointing out that Diablo has literally no new content once you beat it once. All it does is ramp difficulty for the same place. If you just started stripping off gear in any end game dungeon and tried doing it, it would be the exact same thing. Higher difficulty with the sam-... my god...

I'm gonna call it DiabWoW now. :awesome:

Edit: (game play can only keep me for so long, and I hate teaming with complete strangers regularly.)
I know where you're coming from, and I'm feeling it. The gameplay is a lot of fun, but after beating the same four acts three times in a row, I'm just not feeling the motivation to go through it again. It doesn't help that the acts all feel so short, and that the variety in the locales isn't very... well, varied.

My problem with the "story" is that your actions in Act 1 and 2 seem like you're building towards goals, and Act 3 and 4 are basically "kill ALL the demons!"

Killing things for 2 acts is not a replacement for story.

From what I've seen, there are two things to keep in mind about the story.

1) The story is bad. Blizzard's writers really dropped the ball with this, and there was a link posted earlier in the thread to what I thought was a spot-on analysis of a lot of what's wrong with it. The villains are neither smart nor threatening, the characters have no depth, and there's no mute button for the fucking companions who follow you around talking in circles.

2) Most of the actual story is told through optional conversations and book pickups. The cinematics and quest advancement conversations are shallow and all but meaningless, and if you want anything resembling a fleshed-out world, these are where you find the details. It's still not amazing - see point 1 - but it does make it a bit more immersive. Pretty much all of the plot to act 4 is in these, and act 3...well, act 3 you're trying to break a demonic siege, so I guess I can forgive a lack of meaningful plot advancement or character development.

For Belial being the "lord of lies" I figured out who he is pretty damn quick. Hell, even your CHARACTER figures it out with little effort.

Your character identifying the true identity of Belial I felt was actually a bit too much of a jump. Several scenes back they're all "Let us find the true identity of Belial" and then without any new evidence indicating who Belial is, you're all "No way, BELIAL (Because I have now identified your true identity!)" and instead of the Lord of Lies attempting some kind of misdirection, he's all "Shucks, you caught me. NOW DIE WITH MY FIST OF DOOOM!"

Again, that comes 100% from optional conversations. If you have the templar with you and talk to the emperor each time he shows up to tell you what to do, the templar points out some gaping holes in what he's saying.

Also, I do not approve of the latest chat dumping you into general chat by default. Thanks for the spam. I know you can just leave the chanel, which most people do unless there are really only 93 people playing at any given time.

Get your MMO out of my single player game :p

Also, I do not approve of the latest chat dumping you into general chat by default. Thanks for the spam. I know you can just leave the chanel, which most people do unless there are really only 93 people playing at any given time.

Get your MMO out of my single player game :p
I agree wholeheartedly. WTB feature where I can NOT auto-enter General Chat, PST.

Also, why does lag impact my single player game? Seems like a design flaw.
Damn I hate that. Makes it worse I'm connecting to US serves from China. It's not always a smooth ride. I don't want to say I regret buying...but it's getting there.

Dave

Staff member
I'm still taking my time through Nightmare. I think I did things in the wrong order. I wanted to beat Diablo myself before playing coop but now that I have nobody is ever on. :(

I'm still taking my time through Nightmare. I think I did things in the wrong order. I wanted to beat Diablo myself before playing coop but now that I have nobody is ever on. :(
I would play with you but my Demon Hunter is on Hell and all my other characters have only barely cleared normal - or are still on normal, in the case of my monk.

I can play with you; if you don't mind having the definition of a glass cannon walking around with you. 8000 dps but one hit from an elite mob and I'm toast. Booooooo.

At least as a barbarian, act 3 is where it all comes crashing down. I can clear the ramparts quests, but then I get into the keep and the axe skeletons are hitting for half my health, and coming in packs of 10-15. Seems like I'm back to farming until I can snag a couple of key pieces.

Necronic

Staff member
Yeah, I think that's true for pretty much every class at the moment.

What's your armor/resists/life/DPS/Life on Hit?

Necronic

Staff member
My single biggest (and perhaps only major) complaint against D3 is that cooperative mode is, as of now, not really playable in inferno. It only serves to make the game harder, and doesn't seem to make it easier in any way. And since your drops are the same it slows down farming significantly. This may change as people get better gear and figure out more synergistic builds, but for the moment D3 is basically forced as a single player game in the later acts.

Yeah, I think that's true for pretty much every class at the moment.

What's your armor/resists/life/DPS/Life on Hit?
Armour=10458
Resists=461-597 plus 20% reduction to all non-physical damage
Life=55178
DPS=14129 before stacked frenzy - another 75% attack speed and either axes flying everywhere or 20% damage
Life on hit=247 plus 114/second plus 1087/kill. Can switch out a passive to gain 1% regen per second as well, at the cost of armour. Also revenge heals me for 5% of my life per target hit, and furious charge for 8% per target hit.

Basically, I know my resists are low, and it's something I've been working on. Life on hit vs damage is a weird one, since revenge and charge combined with defensive cooldowns keep me alive through most things with a high-dps weapon with no other stats, but as I switch to more durability and less damage output I'm going to need more health regen. I actually finished all of act 2 with a ~930 dps weapon with no other stats on it, and I have a ~650 with a bunch of strength, dex, vit, and life on hit that I'm trying out now. Doesn't make enough of a difference without being able to tank through the scary packs, and what I'm gathering from a lot of barbarian discussion I've seen is that I ideally need to get a String of Ears with as much melee damage reduction as possible, then stack block% from a couple other pieces. Might also be enough to add another 10-15k health and 5-700 resist all, but that will be even more expensive than dumping gold on a couple optimal legendaries.

Necronic

Staff member
Your mom's like trying to play Bastion through an Excel spreadsheet.

But yeah I like string of ears, I might get it myself. It's just hard to drop the RA I have on my current belt.